Anonymous

Bettendorf, IA

#1 Jul 2, 2014
It's a scientific fact that people who have all the pleasure in the world with a sense of superiority are better people than those who are depressed and humble. If you have less pleasure, that makes you less of a person according to science because who you are is your brain and all of its processes and also the fact that greater is "better" when it comes to science. If, for example, you have a computer that has greater RAM and such than others' computers, then your computer would be better than their computers. Therefore, if you have a mind that has greater activity and capabilities, that makes you a better person. But as for someone who has greater intelligence than someone who has greater pleasure, the scientific fact is that pleasure is the greatest thing above any function in the brain because our personal experience of this emotion obviously says so (it is a natural conclusion that we make because without pleasure, then you would obviously be completely dead inside and no one would ever want that). You would obviously sacrifice your intelligence and all other areas of your brain if it meant not losing all of your pleasure. And for you to state otherwise would obviously mean you have no comprehension whatsoever of what it would feel like to lose all of your pleasure.

Therefore, since pleasure is the greatest function of the brain, if you have less pleasure, that makes you less of a person regardless of how much activity or capabilities you have in other parts of your brain.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#2 Jul 2, 2014
Straw man Epicurus mash-up. With RAM.
OniLink wrote:
It's a scientific fact that people who have all the pleasure in the world with a sense of superiority are better people than those who are depressed and humble. If you have less pleasure, that makes you less of a person according to science because who you are is your brain and all of its processes and also the fact that greater is "better" when it comes to science. If, for example, you have a computer that has greater RAM and such than others' computers, then your computer would be better than their computers. Therefore, if you have a mind that has greater activity and capabilities, that makes you a better person. But as for someone who has greater intelligence than someone who has greater pleasure, the scientific fact is that pleasure is the greatest thing above any function in the brain because our personal experience of this emotion obviously says so (it is a natural conclusion that we make because without pleasure, then you would obviously be completely dead inside and no one would ever want that). You would obviously sacrifice your intelligence and all other areas of your brain if it meant not losing all of your pleasure. And for you to state otherwise would obviously mean you have no comprehension whatsoever of what it would feel like to lose all of your pleasure.
Therefore, since pleasure is the greatest function of the brain, if you have less pleasure, that makes you less of a person regardless of how much activity or capabilities you have in other parts of your brain.
buzzkill

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jul 2, 2014
I can find no research that backs up any of the assertions put forward as "scientific fact" in post #1, and I challenge OniLink to produce a peer-reviewed article published in a reputable scientific journal that backs and of them up.
Anonymous

Bettendorf, IA

#4 Jul 2, 2014
As for the question that anyone here might ask such as that losing all pleasure in life would be horrific. Losing all intelligence would be horrific. So what is my point? My point is that losing all pleasure in life would be MUCH more horrific than losing all parts of your brain combined. Since losing pleasure is the worst thing, then that obviously means this is the best part of the brain and for you to lose that would indeed make you an "inferior" person.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#5 Jul 2, 2014
Like there's an actual choice...
OniLink wrote:
As for the question that anyone here might ask such as that losing all pleasure in life would be horrific. Losing all intelligence would be horrific. So what is my point? My point is that losing all pleasure in life would be MUCH more horrific than losing all parts of your brain combined. Since losing pleasure is the worst thing, then that obviously means this is the best part of the brain and for you to lose that would indeed make you an "inferior" person.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6 Jul 2, 2014
OniLink wrote:
As for the question that anyone here might ask such as that losing all pleasure in life would be horrific. Losing all intelligence would be horrific. So what is my point? My point is that losing all pleasure in life would be MUCH more horrific than losing all parts of your brain combined. Since losing pleasure is the worst thing, then that obviously means this is the best part of the brain and for you to lose that would indeed make you an "inferior" person.
Shorter Onlink: I have no proof of the "scientific facts" I mentioned earlier, so I'll just double down on the "because I said so".
Anonymous

Bettendorf, IA

#7 Jul 2, 2014
If, let's pretend, you were to have no sense of morality or worth whatsoever, regardless of the fact that you would have no value and such whatsoever towards pleasure, if you were to lose all your pleasure and become severely depressed (obviously the worst depression you can possibly have), this would be worse than death and worse than losing all your intelligence and other brain functions. You do not need a sense of personal opinion and such to come to the conclusion that losing all your pleasure would be worse (it would be something catastrophically worse). It's something self-explanatory (common sense) and you don't need any knowledge of science or anything. Therefore, this proves my argument of pleasure obviously being the greatest function of the brain which means pleasure is the greatest part of who you are and if you lose that, then you are reduced to a mere emotionless robot. And that would, in fact, make you less of a person because you have lost the one and only greatest thing that defines you.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#8 Jul 2, 2014
Let's image Antarctica is a hat...
OniLink wrote:
If, let's pretend, you were to have no sense of morality or worth whatsoever, regardless of the fact that you would have no value and such whatsoever towards pleasure, if you were to lose all your pleasure and become severely depressed (obviously the worst depression you can possibly have), this would be worse than death and worse than losing all your intelligence and other brain functions. You do not need a sense of personal opinion and such to come to the conclusion that losing all your pleasure would be worse (it would be something catastrophically worse). It's something self-explanatory (common sense) and you don't need any knowledge of science or anything. Therefore, this proves my argument of pleasure obviously being the greatest function of the brain which means pleasure is the greatest part of who you are and if you lose that, then you are reduced to a mere emotionless robot. And that would, in fact, make you less of a person because you have lost the one and only greatest thing that defines you.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#9 Jul 2, 2014
imagine ^
Anonymous

Bettendorf, IA

#10 Jul 3, 2014
I am now going to admit something here which is that I despise my belief in pleasure being the greatest thing that defines a human being (as it makes other people who have less pleasure look inferior including me). I came to this forum because I wish others to hate on my belief as well and to try to convince me otherwise. Therefore, go ahead and address the argument I made regarding pleasure in my opening post and in my recent posts and try to convince me.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#11 Jul 3, 2014
Non sequitur.
OniLink wrote:
I am now going to admit something here which is that I despise my belief in pleasure being the greatest thing that defines a human being (as it makes other people who have less pleasure look inferior including me). I came to this forum because I wish others to hate on my belief as well and to try to convince me otherwise. Therefore, go ahead and address the argument I made regarding pleasure in my opening post and in my recent posts and try to convince me.
Anonymous

Bettendorf, IA

#12 Jul 3, 2014
Now before I present a believable argument that supports my views on pleasure, there is no actual scientific proof that how you perceive pleasure as not being the most important defining factor of a human being nor is there any for my perception of pleasure either. But the fact that I (unlike you or anyone else) have an explanation (that is scientifically and logically believable at this point) is what makes it far more believable since, again, you do not even have such an explanation like mine to even back up your disbeliefs in the first place. Though my explanation may not have scientific proof, the fact that it is believable for what it is now would make it illogical for anyone to have no amount of belief in it whatsoever. The only way for your disbelief to be logical is, again, if you have such an explanation like mine to actually refute my argument here.

So here is my explanation:

In terms of science as well as philosophy, no amount of intelligence or great things we do in life will ever make up for a lack of pleasure because in order to have such value towards these things is to have pleasure in the first place (as pleasure is what allows us to give emotional value towards these things). So it would be illogical to say that these things have value without pleasure or that they have greater value than pleasure. Now if you were to somehow have value towards something with no pleasure, then this value would be nothing as it is nothing more than a thought. Pleasure is what gives any notion of value life and without pleasure, it would be completely dead. Therefore, pleasure is the only thing that matters and any notion of value is just a thought and nothing more. It is the processes in our own brains that give these things life. Without such a process (which would be the process of experiencing pleasure in the brain), then they will have no life.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#13 Jul 3, 2014
Another jedi nonce straw man.
OniLink wrote:
Now before I present a believable argument that supports my views on pleasure, there is no actual scientific proof that how you perceive pleasure as not being the most important defining factor of a human being nor is there any for my perception of pleasure either. But the fact that I (unlike you or anyone else) have an explanation (that is scientifically and logically believable at this point) is what makes it far more believable since, again, you do not even have such an explanation like mine to even back up your disbeliefs in the first place. Though my explanation may not have scientific proof, the fact that it is believable for what it is now would make it illogical for anyone to have no amount of belief in it whatsoever. The only way for your disbelief to be logical is, again, if you have such an explanation like mine to actually refute my argument here.
So here is my explanation:
In terms of science as well as philosophy, no amount of intelligence or great things we do in life will ever make up for a lack of pleasure because in order to have such value towards these things is to have pleasure in the first place (as pleasure is what allows us to give emotional value towards these things). So it would be illogical to say that these things have value without pleasure or that they have greater value than pleasure. Now if you were to somehow have value towards something with no pleasure, then this value would be nothing as it is nothing more than a thought. Pleasure is what gives any notion of value life and without pleasure, it would be completely dead. Therefore, pleasure is the only thing that matters and any notion of value is just a thought and nothing more. It is the processes in our own brains that give these things life. Without such a process (which would be the process of experiencing pleasure in the brain), then they will have no life.
CunningLinguist

Ocala, FL

#14 Jul 5, 2014
Morality is defined by religion?

A larger "steaming pile" hasn't been found to date!

Let's start with the obvious...

If slavery isn't wrong then nothing is wrong.
Richardfs

Sydney, Australia

#15 Jul 6, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
It's a scientific fact that people who have all the pleasure in the world with a sense of superiority are better people.....
Really???

Is this the same scientists who gave us I.D..
buzzkill

Knoxville, TN

#16 Jul 6, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Another jedi nonce straw man.
<quoted text>
Yes. The writing style is unmistakable, as are the logical flaws and the lack of scientific comprehension along with refusals to respond to challenges to suppoert his "facts."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min nanoanomaly 227,987
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 min Eman 22,517
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 2 hr emperorjohn 26
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Patrick 506
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 7 hr cancer suxs 5
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 9 hr Thinking 140
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 9 hr Thinking 4,118
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••