Wiccan Atheists and Agnostics

Wiccan Atheists and Agnostics

There are 284 comments on the BellaOnline story from Aug 12, 2013, titled Wiccan Atheists and Agnostics. In it, BellaOnline reports that:

Can Wiccans also be atheists or agnostics? This may seem a strange question because the worship of the Lord and Lady is so central to many Wiccans' daily spiritual practice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BellaOnline.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#111 Aug 16, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
what positives did religion bring to the world,do tell!
And why should I bother with you? You've already signed onto the hate wagon, what good would it possibly do me to bother? You'll deny, attempt to disprove, or bring up an atrocity to "counter" anything that is said so....you're not actually discussing a point. Perhaps if you wrote "rhetorical" in a question when you don't want to actually hear an answer, you won't look like such a troll otherwise.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#112 Aug 16, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the existence of "the positives" of religion were of great comfort to the Jews as they were herded to the gas chambers, to the "heretics" and "witches" who were in the process of being burned at the stake, to those put to the sword in the crusades, to all of those murdered in the multitude of religiously inspired wars, to the pregnant women dying in El Salvador because the religious fanatics in their government outlawed abortion even when necessary to save the mother's life, to the millions of AIDS sufferers in Africa infected because religious fanatics prevented them from having access to condoms.
But hey, religion allows Pagan & Proud to feel good while dancing around the Maypole, so I guess it all evens out.
Interesting, the Jews weren't being persecuted by another Religious group, it was a Political group with ties to other religions as well as Occult ties, but even then the Rockets which were developed in Nazi Germany would eventually find their way to the United States and have taken us to the moon....

But such issues tied in with the world events don't interest one of your ilk. Such irony, to claim to be so evolved, yet when others dare step out of line and point out flawed reasoning the Primate nature comes out and the poop flinging begins.

“live and let live”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#113 Aug 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>It's simple, liars with no proof of god are simply that.

If theists wanted to be honest and decent citizens, they would start by proving their gods instead of lying about them.

When you project your personal hallucinations upon the rest of society, you should expect to be challenged for presenting this bullsh*t as absolute truth
FYI...I didn't say I believed in GOD. But this is "one nation under God". Would you not expect to be "projected" with Allah if you lived in a country of built on the Muslim faith? Go find something else to hate on that invokes your kind of hatred. I

“live and let live”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#114 Aug 16, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>If religion actually taught people to be good or see good, you might have a point. History shows that the truth is otherwise. Religion is built on a foundation of skulls surrounded by a moat of blood all from the wars, genocides, inquisitions and other gifts of religion.
That wasn't religion causing the wars, that was mans ego...as usual! Religion was the excuse.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#115 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting, the Jews weren't being persecuted by another Religious group, it was a Political group with ties to other religions as well as Occult ties, but even then the Rockets which were developed in Nazi Germany would eventually find their way to the United States and have taken us to the moon....
But such issues tied in with the world events don't interest one of your ilk. Such irony, to claim to be so evolved, yet when others dare step out of line and point out flawed reasoning the Primate nature comes out and the poop flinging begins.
Your opinions will matter after you've provided evidence for the stupid, made up beliefs you hold. And not before.
xianity is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#116 Aug 16, 2013
Daddy Dewdrop wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI...I didn't say I believed in GOD. But this is "one nation under God". I
you dont know history very well do you

The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense founded on the Christian religion

The U.S. Constitution

The United States Constitution serves as the law of the land for America and indicates the intent of our Founding Fathers.
The Constitution forms a secular document, and nowhere does it appeal to God, Christianity, Jesus, or any supreme being.(For those who think the date of the Constitution contradicts the last sentence, see note 1 at the end.) The U.S. government derives from people (not God), as it clearly states in the preamble: "
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the 1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble,

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#117 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Refusing to see the positives that religion has brought to the world your answer is as flawed and disingenuous as your original supposition. Reality acknowledges the negatives as well as the positives, anything less is called Bias.
Its because you're a liar that you cannot prove that god is real or even matters at all.

When you dishonest people can actually define this bullsh*t that you so desperately want us to believe, we are all ears..and logic.
xianity is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#118 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>And why should I bother with you? You've already signed onto the hate wagon, what good would it possibly do me to bother? You'll deny, attempt to disprove, or bring up an atrocity to "counter" anything that is said so....you're not actually discussing a point. Perhaps if you wrote "rhetorical" in a question when you don't want to actually hear an answer, you won't look like such a troll otherwise.
so NOthing positive comes from religion,thnx
btw
WHERE did I ever say I hate anyone?show me that or youll look like a Liar

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#119 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not. It's an asinine dismissal without consideration of whether or not their is any basis for 'reports', a knee-jerk burst of arrogance, nothing more.
Look. I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, so you can keep up.

"supernatural" means "not-natural" or "other-than-natural" or even "beyond natural"

In short? Something that is inexplicable.

Once something **is** explained? Then it becomes **part** of the natural order of things.

And is no longer **super**natural.

So far?

**ALL** of the formerly "supernatural" phenomena have **always** turned out to be... NATURAL.

With non-woo explanations.

Always.

This record goes back 1000's of years too.

So it's pretty safe to say that supernatural "events" -- if REAL?

Are really **natural** events that haven't been explained yet.

Or else?

They are simply lies: all too common among charlatans.

Either way?

**natural**

Supernatural woo is very apt.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#120 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Not even remotely true.
Which part?

Until and if you can manage to produce a **god** or **goddess**?

It's a safe bet to presume said item is not real.

That's a fact, Jack.

Deal with it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#125 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that's just it, who's to say if they're right or wrong? There are thousands of people who claim "god" spoke to them,...
Argument from popularity?

If that were the case? Everyone would live like the 90210 TV show...

Fail.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#126 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text> I can completely understand where you're coming from, it's not that you doubt that a Deity(or multiple) exists, it's doubting mankind and what you've been told because you can see the 'agendas' that roll with Organized religion.
Still no proof of your myth-god.

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#127 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>No one owes you any form of proof for anything nitwit troll. You're just pissy because you were hoisted by your own petard. When there is no evidence either way only the answer "I don't know" is truth, anything more than that is Ego.
I do not know is valid.

But.

Once someone **DEFINES** a god?

Then that god becomes quite testable-- using the definition just given.

So far?

All such definitions prove that the god(s) cannot exist as defined.

Thus, the god(s) are not real-- as claimed.

There may well be gods that are UNDEFINED out there.

So what?

Nobody worships **them**-- everyone YOU INCLUDED **wants** something from them ...

.. an undefined god wouldn't give the worshiper anything ..

... so nobody bothers.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#128 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, the only absolute LIAR here would be you, pissy pants. You simply aren't able to grasp the concept that there's something other than yes/no, black/white, up/down, left/right.... and until you do you'll ever be the buffoon.
Not proof of any gods, neither is this an argument in any way.

Just whining....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#129 Aug 16, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
Can Wiccans also be atheists or agnostics? This may seem a strange question because the worship of the Lord and Lady is so central to many Wiccans’ daily spiritual practice. But the short answer is yes. It is possible to concentrate on the cultural aspects of Wicca rather than its religious concepts.
According to the Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, the definition of atheism is,“1. archaic: Ungodliness, Wickedness 2a: a disbelief in the existence of deity, b: the doctrine that there is no deity.” And, from the same source, here is the definition of agnostic:“1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly: one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god.”
----------
any dictionary describing atheism as Wicked is obviously kristain propaganda and should be dismissed as biased,
anyone worshiping Lord or Diety is not atheist,
it takes balls to question god and religion and be honest with yourself and the knowledge that death is the End,,
hope for afterlife and Imaginary friend wholl help you in life is main reasons for believing and worshiping those,,
believe what you want just dont expect rational folk to join in your fantasy
I have said previously, that yes-- atheists/agnostics can easily practice the **secular** elements of any religion as they please.

Why not?

All the supernatural shyt is just made up bullshit, so why not practice the **secular** rituals if that makes life more enjoyable?

Humans do love them their rituals.

And why not? Ritual can make life a wee bit more meaningful to some folk.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#130 Aug 16, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You realise these people can turn us into frogs, don't you?
:-)
Well-- that "Pagan and Proud" certainly ***acts*** like the Classical Witch you see from Hollywood....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#131 Aug 16, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
If religion actually taught people to be good or see good, you might have a point. History shows that the truth is otherwise. Religion is built on a foundation of skulls surrounded by a moat of blood all from the wars, genocides, inquisitions and other gifts of religion.
Yep.

Religion's legacy is one of death, mayhem and blood.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#132 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Refusing to see the positives that religion has brought to the world your answer is as flawed and disingenuous as your original supposition. Reality acknowledges the negatives as well as the positives, anything less is called Bias.
WHAT "positives"?

Seriously-- what are these alleged "positives" you speak of?

You give NO examples-- you just expect us to roll over and BELIEVE?

As if...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#133 Aug 16, 2013
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Not taking any chances. The just might be a god out there
checking this forum. Gotta play it safe. No favorites.
Pascal's Wager.

A false argument, by the way.

It assumes the god in question is easily fooled...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#135 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting, the Jews weren't being persecuted by another Religious group, it was a Political group with ties to other religions as well as Occult ties, but even then the Rockets which were developed in Nazi Germany would eventually find their way to the United States and have taken us to the moon....

Nazism is an offshoot of Catholicism.

Indeed-- the Nazi government on multiple occasions received blessings from the catholic pope.

Nazi-Catholic tie-in-- photos proving what I just stated:
" http://www.nobeliefs.com/nazis.htm" ;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min One way or another 61,114
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 59 min IB DaMann 5,970
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr Science 28,312
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 hr Subduction Zone 2,643
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Wed Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web