Wiccan Atheists and Agnostics

Wiccan Atheists and Agnostics

There are 284 comments on the BellaOnline story from Aug 12, 2013, titled Wiccan Atheists and Agnostics. In it, BellaOnline reports that:

Can Wiccans also be atheists or agnostics? This may seem a strange question because the worship of the Lord and Lady is so central to many Wiccans' daily spiritual practice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BellaOnline.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#85 Aug 16, 2013
GilnoKoibito wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, it is rather hard to explain, especially when one has just begun to question their beliefs. I'd rather call it just 'questioning' to keep things simple as it is indeed hard to pin down exactly where I am in the questioning spectrum. But if I *had* to choose...to be honest I have only seriously started questioning my beliefs in deity over the last few months. Before that though I think there may have been some part of me that questioned the existence of deity but all in all I very much believed (it was likely more of a tiny thought in the back of my head that I never fully acknowledged at the time.)
Right now I would say that I am half and half. There is a strong part of me that believes and another part of me that says that there is no possible way for humans to know for certain about the existence of deity. As I mentioned before, it is not that my doubting part says they do not at all exist, but that we as humans likely cannot understand such an existence and so we give it names and personality. Most of me believes that "something" can exist but I do not believe I have the right to pin down exactly *what*'it' is. So I believe in something...but I am not certain what that something is anymore...if that makes any sense.
I'm really sorry if I cannot articulate exactly what I've been thinking in words...it is hard for me to describe. In my head it makes some sense but I suppose it is harder to get others to understand what I mean. I apologize if this still doesn't clear things up.
Also, I don't see why any of this has been pointless at all...the more we share the more likely it is that people understand where we are coming from.
AND TO EVERYONE ELSE HERE -(to save time from making two posts)- I've noticed that many have mentioned this article being published in the Atheist forum, but I would like to add, if others haven't already, that it was also posted in the Pagan/Wiccan forum. Perhaps that will end some of the confusion here.
I can completely understand where you're coming from, it's not that you doubt that a Deity(or multiple) exists, it's doubting mankind and what you've been told because you can see the 'agendas' that roll with Organized religion.

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#86 Aug 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
there's no such thing as militant atheist. Only idiots with no proof of god, who want to label the people that highlight this inconsistency when questioned.
Who are you trying to kid??

Your very words reveal exactly what I posted. What difference to you what another person believes,.

Faith is something a person lives each day. It is a personal experience. the problem with the militant atheist and a fanatic christian is that neither is willing to unbend from their world views to understand anything out side of a very narrow world view.

That does not allow any one to hold an opinion belief different from theirs.

On a very personal level I do bot care what you believe. Not believe, or have no belief.

My experience with Deity needs no proof as long as I understand that it something that is personal. It does not have to make sense to any one, but to me.

it is what the fanatic christian refusing to acknowledge and the militant atheist refuses to understand.

Militant Atheist
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...

No such thing.... RRRIIGGHHTTT....

Jonesboro AR

#87 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>No actually it isn't a concern of reasonableness at all, with a lack of actual hard evidence either way the call for "reason" is nothing more than an assumption on the part of others that any sort of "supernatural" activity must fall within the realm of how they presume it should be or act. Up until several years ago the Photon was thought to be a particle of light, others expecting it to be a wave and not a particle were able to actually find the wave. Both groups could easily argue, vehemently, as to why their presupposed stance was the correct one, interestingly enough it turned out that they were both right and both wrong. The unknown is just that, unknown. No "reasonable" assumptions can be made on something that we simply do not know, attempting to infer that one thing is more outrageous and therefore more unlikely to exist is indulging in arrogance and actually making an attempt to "lie" simply to be correct.
Well stated

Jonesboro AR

#88 Aug 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't address the fact that you have no evidence for your claims and so now you behave passive aggressively.
You are naive and don't believe we have seen the patterns before in other dishonest people?
You do realize you just used the same argument that a fundamental/evangelical christian would in disproving some else beliefs...

“live and let live”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#89 Aug 16, 2013
Idk how we could trash anyone else's "religion" when it only stands to teach good, see good, or be good. Let karma be your guide!

“live and let live”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#90 Aug 16, 2013
Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you trying to kid??

Your very words reveal exactly what I posted. What difference to you what another person believes,.

Faith is something a person lives each day. It is a personal experience. the problem with the militant atheist and a fanatic christian is that neither is willing to unbend from their world views to understand anything out side of a very narrow world view.

On a very personal level I do bot care what you believe. Not believe, or have no belief.

My experience with Deity needs no proof as long as I understand that it something that is personal. It does not have to make sense to any one, but to me.

it is what the fanatic christian refusing to acknowledge and the militant atheist refuses to understand.

Militant Atheist

Agreed!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#91 Aug 16, 2013
Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you trying to kid??
Militant Atheist
Liars with no proof of god need to either shut up or go back to their cult leaders and ask them for proof.

All other dialog is a waste of time.

By labelling atheists as militant , you are admitting that you are liar with no proof of god, and no facts to back up your lies.

Trolls like you are dishonest as usual.

Location hidden

#92 Aug 16, 2013
Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>You do realize you just used the same argument that a fundamental/evangelical christian would in disproving some else beliefs...
You are talking using words and sentences, while saying absolutely nothing.

Be a dear and prove your god and you'll stop looking like an idiot in sits forum...

Proof less whiners...

Location hidden

#93 Aug 16, 2013
Daddy Dewdrop wrote:
Idk how we could trash anyone else's "religion" when it only stands to teach good, see good, or be good. Let karma be your guide!
It's simple, liars with no proof of god are simply that.

If theists wanted to be honest and decent citizens, they would start by proving their gods instead of lying about them.

When you project your personal hallucinations upon the rest of society, you should expect to be challenged for presenting this bullsh*t as absolute truth

Location hidden

#94 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that's just it, who's to say if they're right or wrong? There are thousands of people who claim "god" spoke to .
Every single one of those people are liars with no proof of god - just like you, today and for the rest of your life.

Location hidden

#95 Aug 16, 2013
Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>You do realize you just used the same argument that a fundamental/evangelical christian would in disproving some else beliefs...
Scared of proving the god you lie about at the end of the day.

Go on, try to change e subject and see how far it gets you in this forum, proof less coward.
xianity is EVIL

Tecumseh, Canada

#100 Aug 16, 2013
Can Wiccans also be atheists or agnostics? This may seem a strange question because the worship of the Lord and Lady is so central to many Wiccans’ daily spiritual practice. But the short answer is yes. It is possible to concentrate on the cultural aspects of Wicca rather than its religious concepts.
According to the Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, the definition of atheism is,“1. archaic: Ungodliness, Wickedness 2a: a disbelief in the existence of deity, b: the doctrine that there is no deity.” And, from the same source, here is the definition of agnostic:“1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly: one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god.”
----------
any dictionary describing atheism as Wicked is obviously kristain propaganda and should be dismissed as biased,
anyone worshiping Lord or Diety is not atheist,
it takes balls to question god and religion and be honest with yourself and the knowledge that death is the End,,
hope for afterlife and Imaginary friend wholl help you in life is main reasons for believing and worshiping those,,
believe what you want just dont expect rational folk to join in your fantasy
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#101 Aug 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Every single one of those people are liars with no proof of god - just like you, today and for the rest of your life.
You realise these people can turn us into frogs, don't you?
:-)
Amused

Brookfield, MA

#103 Aug 16, 2013
Daddy Dewdrop wrote:
If religion actually taught people to be good or see good, you might have a point. History shows that the truth is otherwise. Religion is built on a foundation of skulls surrounded by a moat of blood all from the wars, genocides, inquisitions and other gifts of religion.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#105 Aug 16, 2013
GilnoKoibito wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, it is rather hard to explain, especially when one has just begun to question their beliefs. I'd rather call it just 'questioning' to keep things simple as it is indeed hard to pin down exactly where I am in the questioning spectrum. But if I *had* to choose...to be honest I have only seriously started questioning my beliefs in deity over the last few months. Before that though I think there may have been some part of me that questioned the existence of deity but all in all I very much believed (it was likely more of a tiny thought in the back of my head that I never fully acknowledged at the time.)
Right now I would say that I am half and half. There is a strong part of me that believes and another part of me that says that there is no possible way for humans to know for certain about the existence of deity. As I mentioned before, it is not that my doubting part says they do not at all exist, but that we as humans likely cannot understand such an existence and so we give it names and personality. Most of me believes that "something" can exist but I do not believe I have the right to pin down exactly *what*'it' is. So I believe in something...but I am not certain what that something is anymore...if that makes any sense.
I'm really sorry if I cannot articulate exactly what I've been thinking in words...it is hard for me to describe. In my head it makes some sense but I suppose it is harder to get others to understand what I mean. I apologize if this still doesn't clear things up.
Also, I don't see why any of this has been pointless at all...the more we share the more likely it is that people understand where we are coming from.
AND TO EVERYONE ELSE HERE -(to save time from making two posts)- I've noticed that many have mentioned this article being published in the Atheist forum, but I would like to add, if others haven't already, that it was also posted in the Pagan/Wiccan forum. Perhaps that will end some of the confusion here.
If you are half and half I think you do need to stop acting like you believe and focus all your energy on questioning, as if you have gone that far at lest something some where is wrong and the sooner you find it the better. Not only that but it will also give you a accurate location of where you are.

And that is all that is left to say, unless you want to give arguments on why half of you still believes your on your own.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#106 Aug 16, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
If religion actually taught people to be good or see good, you might have a point. History shows that the truth is otherwise. Religion is built on a foundation of skulls surrounded by a moat of blood all from the wars, genocides, inquisitions and other gifts of religion.
Refusing to see the positives that religion has brought to the world your answer is as flawed and disingenuous as your original supposition. Reality acknowledges the negatives as well as the positives, anything less is called Bias.
xianity is EVIL

Tecumseh, Canada

#107 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Refusing to see the positives that religion has brought to the world your answer is as flawed and disingenuous as your original supposition. Reality acknowledges the negatives as well as the positives, anything less is called Bias.
what positives did religion bring to the world,do tell!
Amused

Brookfield, MA

#108 Aug 16, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Refusing to see the positives that religion has brought to the world your answer is as flawed and disingenuous as your original supposition. Reality acknowledges the negatives as well as the positives, anything less is called Bias.
I'm sure the existence of "the positives" of religion were of great comfort to the Jews as they were herded to the gas chambers, to the "heretics" and "witches" who were in the process of being burned at the stake, to those put to the sword in the crusades, to all of those murdered in the multitude of religiously inspired wars, to the pregnant women dying in El Salvador because the religious fanatics in their government outlawed abortion even when necessary to save the mother's life, to the millions of AIDS sufferers in Africa infected because religious fanatics prevented them from having access to condoms.

But hey, religion allows Pagan & Proud to feel good while dancing around the Maypole, so I guess it all evens out.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#109 Aug 16, 2013
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you honour the sabbats if your not sure that God exists?
Not taking any chances. The just might be a god out there
checking this forum. Gotta play it safe. No favorites.
xianity is EVIL

Tecumseh, Canada

#110 Aug 16, 2013
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Not taking any chances. The just might be a god out there
checking this forum. Gotta play it safe. No favorites.
www.jhuger.com/pascals-sucker-bet

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Thinking 20,771
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min Thinking 245,281
John 3:16 55 min superwilly 102
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 11,102
Hitler was Catholic 18 hr Shizle 1
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Mon thetruth 14,671
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Mon Shizle 23
More from around the web