Wiccan Atheists and Agnostics

Aug 12, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BellaOnline

Can Wiccans also be atheists or agnostics? This may seem a strange question because the worship of the Lord and Lady is so central to many Wiccans' daily spiritual practice.

Comments
1 - 20 of 284 Comments Last updated Apr 17, 2014
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

Judged:

If worship of the Lord and Lady is a main part of being a Wiccan then NO! Why does there need to be a article about this?

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

Judged:

Another person writing articles on subjects she knows nothing about.

“Priestess of the Mountains”

Since: May 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

Judged:

I've heard of other Pagan and Wiccan agnostics (and even atheists) before...they very much exist.

As of the late I've begun to think of myself as sort of a Wiccan agnostic. I follow the rede, honor the sabbats, revere nature, but when it comes to the God and Goddess...I'm a little on the undecided side. I still pray to them and talk to them and hope that they hear me, but my thoughts on their existence goes from:'they certainly exist' to 'there's a chance they exist' to 'perhaps "something" exists but we as humans simply can't understand it'. So even though I want to truly believe, there is a part of me that is on the undecided side.

I don't consider this bad though, just a part of life, a part of learning and discovery about myself, the world, and my beliefs. If there truly is a God and Goddess out there (or some sort of intelligent greater power) I think they would understand my questioning of them as part of the process that is my spiritual learning.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

GilnoKoibito wrote:
I've heard of other Pagan and Wiccan agnostics (and even atheists) before...they very much exist.
As of the late I've begun to think of myself as sort of a Wiccan agnostic. I follow the rede, honor the sabbats, revere nature, but when it comes to the God and Goddess...I'm a little on the undecided side. I still pray to them and talk to them and hope that they hear me, but my thoughts on their existence goes from:'they certainly exist' to 'there's a chance they exist' to 'perhaps "something" exists but we as humans simply can't understand it'. So even though I want to truly believe, there is a part of me that is on the undecided side.
I don't consider this bad though, just a part of life, a part of learning and discovery about myself, the world, and my beliefs. If there truly is a God and Goddess out there (or some sort of intelligent greater power) I think they would understand my questioning of them as part of the process that is my spiritual learning.
Why would you honour the sabbats if your not sure that God exists?
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

More 'spiritual' drivel.

“Priestess of the Mountains”

Since: May 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you honour the sabbats if your not sure that God exists?
Because, as I mentioned, I'm on the border of believing and not believing. Some small part of me still very much believes. Plus, I honor the sabbats as a turning of the seasons as well.
C Shine

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

This is one of those instances where a distinction between Wicca and all other types of Paganism is handy. Paganism is a pretty expansive umbrella these days and it is very easy for an agnostic or atheist to appreciate many of the practices and observances common in Wicca and other Pagan religions without attaching that to any beliefs about Divinity. For instance, dancing a maypole, seeking divination or omens, or celebrating the Fall Equinox are all welcome to anyone who chooses to do them.

Wicca is a particular religion among many paths in Paganism, and it's practices are centered around certain basic tenets that recognize Divinity inside and outside ourselves. So if someone doesn't believe in that, why not just be an Eclectic Pagan? The door is wide open.
Amused

Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

C Shine wrote:
This is one of those instances where a distinction between Wicca and all other types of Paganism is handy. Paganism is a pretty expansive umbrella these days and it is very easy for an agnostic or atheist to appreciate many of the practices and observances common in Wicca and other Pagan religions without attaching that to any beliefs about Divinity. For instance, dancing a maypole, seeking divination or omens, or celebrating the Fall Equinox are all welcome to anyone who chooses to do them.
Wicca is a particular religion among many paths in Paganism, and it's practices are centered around certain basic tenets that recognize Divinity inside and outside ourselves. So if someone doesn't believe in that, why not just be an Eclectic Pagan? The door is wide open.
Thank you, but no. "Spiritual" woo with no evidence is spiritual woo with no evidence, whether it calls itself paganism, islam, christinaity or whatever else. It is still superstition.
Substituting one form of superstition for another does not represent progress.
C Shine

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

GilnoKoibito wrote:
The form of Wicca I have learned and practice deals with certain specific Deities, Elementals, and other incorporate beings. Myself and others who practice similarly develop relationships with particular Gods, especially those they resonate with. We also practice Drawing Down which allows a very direct form of experiencing Gods/esses in person. Perhaps you do not have the belief or desire to persue a more active path in Wicca, and that is fine, Wicca is there for those who do wish to do so, and not to indoctrinate someone on the fence. But my observance is that your approach seems to stem from a more abstract, Protestant thought-form of Divinity; so perhaps some of this lack of feeling connected may have to do with how you have been conditioned to think about God/s, as many of us are in the West. In Wicca, the Gods are not really these all-knowing omnipotent amorphous presences that they are in Abrahamic faiths, they are the Gods of the Hidden Children, the Moon, the Earth (especially the wilder parts of it), and of Magic.

However, there is nothing or no one stopping you from practicing or believing however you wish under the general auspices of Paganism at large. Some of this abstraction about the Gods of Wicca comes from those who transferred their Abrahamic conditioning over to Wicca and did not persue the more direct and active practices of Wicca. I think it helps if we are all clear about whether or not we are Wiccan, or if we just like parts of Wicca.
C Shine

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, but no. "Spiritual" woo with no evidence is spiritual woo with no evidence, whether it calls itself paganism, islam, christinaity or whatever else. It is still superstition.
Yawn, take your grumpy Puritanical Atheistic proselytization somewhere else. I don't dance or spin fire, or hike or camp because of "evidence" or "logic", I do that because I enjoy those activities and they enhance my enjoyment of life.

Hopefully, you too will find something fulfilling one day whether it be a hobby, artform, or spiritual path.
C Shine

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and don't flatter yourself too much there, you might hurt yourself. If you actually read what I wrote, I was advocating that Atheist be Atheist if they wish to.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

GilnoKoibito wrote:
<quoted text>
Because, as I mentioned, I'm on the border of believing and not believing. Some small part of me still very much believes. Plus, I honor the sabbats as a turning of the seasons as well.
That's not a good answer if you are on the border of a subject you have to steep back from everyone doing absolutely nothing that only a single side does, and go though arguments again and again in till you can pick a side.
As for using the sabbats to mark the seasons is a bit weird, as a self described strident atheist I never do things that only a believer should do. To do other wise feels degenerative, I will happily voice my disrespect of religious events but I wont degenerative them, they are clearly their for believers if I take part I feel out of place between my mental backing down and refuting of what the priest is saying. Its like lying about your interests in-order to be in a group, they may not like you if they found out you where lying and they won't know "you" just the you "you" made.
Amused

Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

C Shine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn, take your grumpy Puritanical Atheistic proselytization somewhere else. I don't dance or spin fire, or hike or camp because of "evidence" or "logic", I do that because I enjoy those activities and they enhance my enjoyment of life.
Hopefully, you too will find something fulfilling one day whether it be a hobby, artform, or spiritual path.
I find lots of things fulfilling. Without having to accept any nonsense or illogic to do so.

“I will not go quietly.”

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I find lots of things fulfilling. Without having to accept any nonsense or illogic to do so.
Sounds as though your narcissistic need to harass or demean others is symptomatic of something missing in your life. How sad for you.
Amused

Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds as though your narcissistic need to harass or demean others is symptomatic of something missing in your life. How sad for you.
Don't you have a goat to sacrifice or something?

You are proud to be superstitious. Now that's sad.

“I will not go quietly.”

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you have a goat to sacrifice or something?
You are proud to be superstitious. Now that's sad.
Lashing out at others simply because they do not accept his intellect to be as superior as he thinks it is...
Sad.
Amused

Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Lashing out at others simply because they do not accept his intellect to be as superior as he thinks it is...
Sad.
Proof that Frank Zappa was right:

Stupidity is replicating itself at an enormous rate. The person who stands up and says, "This is stupid," either is asked to 'behave' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful, "Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!"

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

C Shine wrote:
Very well stated.

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Lashing out at others simply because they do not accept his intellect to be as superior as he thinks it is...
Sad.
I would have gone for the word of pathetic myself in describing the poster.. But that is my opinion.

“I will not go quietly.”

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have gone for the word of pathetic myself in describing the poster.. But that is my opinion.
That was my original reply, but I changed it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••