First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#23 Mar 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go.
No modern religion has a single thing new to offer.
None.
They are, each and every one, copies of earlier religions.
You know I have thought about it before but you are dead right.

I have noticed that if read any of the so called holey books and leave out the names no matter which The Book of Dead, The Book of Moron, Torah or The Bibull they all read the same.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#24 Mar 11, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I have thought about it before but you are dead right.
I have noticed that if read any of the so called holey books and leave out the names no matter which The Book of Dead, The Book of Moron, Torah or The Bibull they all read the same.
I may have spoken with a wee bit of hyperbole: the dubious religion of scientology has some truly weird and off-the-wall beliefs, if what I've read about them is even mildly accurate. It's as if it was written by a fiction author with a really bad imagination... wait....

But I suspect that cult won't survive much longer in the end. The current incarnation appears to be nothing but a money-gathering engine-- and that cannot last, as the minimum value to join is well above your average means. It's a religion for the wealthy AND stupid-- not all that common among that grouping.

:)
Amused

Bridgewater, MA

#25 Mar 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I may have spoken with a wee bit of hyperbole: the dubious religion of scientology has some truly weird and off-the-wall beliefs, if what I've read about them is even mildly accurate. It's as if it was written by a fiction author with a really bad imagination... wait....
But I suspect that cult won't survive much longer in the end. The current incarnation appears to be nothing but a money-gathering engine-- and that cannot last, as the minimum value to join is well above your average means. It's a religion for the wealthy AND stupid-- not all that common among that grouping.
:)
The celebrity endorsers are not representative of the price of admission. Scientology is a long-term scam, where the "secret knowledge" is dispensed a little at a time. One suspects that the timing is linked to the ability of the suckers, ooops, I mean the believers, to pay for the classes. It's bit by bit over a long period, as opposed to trying for one big score. Of course, it is also linked to the amount of mental and psychological commitment you need to get the believers to make before you spring the really outrageous bullsh*t about space aliens from the remote past being the source of human ills. Spring that on someone who hasn't fully bought into the previous bullsh*t, and they are likely to bolt.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#26 Mar 11, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
The celebrity endorsers are not representative of the price of admission. Scientology is a long-term scam, where the "secret knowledge" is dispensed a little at a time. One suspects that the timing is linked to the ability of the suckers, ooops, I mean the believers, to pay for the classes. It's bit by bit over a long period, as opposed to trying for one big score. Of course, it is also linked to the amount of mental and psychological commitment you need to get the believers to make before you spring the really outrageous bullsh*t about space aliens from the remote past being the source of human ills. Spring that on someone who hasn't fully bought into the previous bullsh*t, and they are likely to bolt.
True, true.

But, on objective analysis, isn't that true of virtually all religions?

In that the really bullsh7tty parts are never revealed to a potential believer, until they are deep into the dogma?

As Iaasic Asimov once pointed out, the reading of the >>whole<< bible is one of the best tools to create an atheist as has ever come down the pike.

The majority of bible-worshipers haven't actually read the whole thing, but rather focus on the pretty bits-- the parts that feed into their own prejudices.

They cheerfully (and in most cases, with complete ignorance) ignore the bible-bits they don't like.
Amused

Bridgewater, MA

#27 Mar 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
True, true.
But, on objective analysis, isn't that true of virtually all religions?
In that the really bullsh7tty parts are never revealed to a potential believer, until they are deep into the dogma?
...
It is certainly true of the mormons. The missionaries even have a saying to guide them, "milk before meat", referring to the fact that babies cannot handle meat and need milk until they are weaned and capable of handling solid food. In fact, one of the fastest ways to eject the missionaries from your doorstep (apart from purely mechanical means) is to let them know that you know about the saying, and thus know that they are holding back on the really batsh*t teachings. They usually flee as soon as you let them know you are on to their scam.
Amused

Bridgewater, MA

#28 Mar 11, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I have thought about it before but you are dead right.
I have noticed that if read any of the so called holey books and leave out the names no matter which The Book of Dead, The Book of Moron, Torah or The Bibull they all read the same.


Except for the book of mormon, the others are all ancient texts, and most were translated into English much later. The book of mormon is a recent contrivance, but was written to mimic the Elizabethan prose of the KJV, to give it an ersatz gravitas. That's why it uses the lame passive voice construct "It came to pass that..." over and over. It just sounds blble-y.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#29 Mar 11, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
It is certainly true of the mormons. The missionaries even have a saying to guide them, "milk before meat", referring to the fact that babies cannot handle meat and need milk until they are weaned and capable of handling solid food. In fact, one of the fastest ways to eject the missionaries from your doorstep (apart from purely mechanical means) is to let them know that you know about the saying, and thus know that they are holding back on the really batsh*t teachings. They usually flee as soon as you let them know you are on to their scam.
Thanks for the tip-- I'll remember that one.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#30 Mar 11, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
It is certainly true of the mormons. The missionaries even have a saying to guide them, "milk before meat", referring to the fact that babies cannot handle meat and need milk until they are weaned and capable of handling solid food. In fact, one of the fastest ways to eject the missionaries from your doorstep (apart from purely mechanical means) is to let them know that you know about the saying, and thus know that they are holding back on the really batsh*t teachings. They usually flee as soon as you let them know you are on to their scam.
... on the other hand, I usually just ask them if they are wearing magic special bulletproof underwear, as blessed by their leadership.

That usually does the trick.

:D
Lincoln

United States

#31 Mar 12, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
... on the other hand, I usually just ask them if they are wearing magic special bulletproof underwear, as blessed by their leadership.
That usually does the trick.
:D
A serious argument and you,
seem not to be friends.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#32 Apr 15, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
It is certainly true of the mormons. The missionaries even have a saying to guide them, "milk before meat", referring to the fact that babies cannot handle meat and need milk until they are weaned and capable of handling solid food. In fact, one of the fastest ways to eject the missionaries from your doorstep (apart from purely mechanical means) is to let them know that you know about the saying, and thus know that they are holding back on the really batsh*t teachings. They usually flee as soon as you let them know you are on to their scam.
The Christains play the same game, they just don't label it. Toddlers are taught "Jesus loves me", but they will not be shown that the bible god threatens to make their parents cook and eat them. That is reserved for parents who have been a bit lax on turning over that 10% bite out of their incomes.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#33 Apr 15, 2013
Control and money play a huge role in the religious world.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The Christains play the same game, they just don't label it. Toddlers are taught "Jesus loves me", but they will not be shown that the bible god threatens to make their parents cook and eat them. That is reserved for parents who have been a bit lax on turning over that 10% bite out of their incomes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence for God! 5 min scaritual 44
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 59 min Dave Nelson 230,977
Heaven 2 hr _Bad Company 43
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Carchar king 1,104
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr fadu singh 23,043
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 14 hr Hooogle It 77
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,391

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE