Why Atheists Need To Come Out

Why Atheists Need To Come Out

There are 281 comments on the The Atlantic story from Jul 21, 2011, titled Why Atheists Need To Come Out. In it, The Atlantic reports that:

WaPo's "On Faith" blog is using Ricky Gervais' new show about atheism to discuss the place of atheists in American society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Atlantic.

LBer

Ontario, CA

#233 Aug 5, 2011
No doubt. Lookin' forward to it. Passion for your view point is a good thing on a forum (whatever that view is.)
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#234 Aug 5, 2011
That's not all that would come 'out'.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#235 Sep 1, 2011
Mi_nina wrote:
Is'nt an "Atheist" someone that believes in science, not God...not ANY God...not the God od Islam, not the God of Christianity, no God...
You believe in the principles of peaceful co-existence based on mutual respect for others and philosophy...a kind of nice, Godless, nirvanna.
As soon as the muslims take over....you will no longer be able to say you do not believe in God...they will behead you.
Is'nt an "Atheist" someone that believes in science, not God...not ANY God...not the God od Islam, not the God of Christianity, no God...

>>> NO!<<<<

You believe in the principles of peaceful co-existence based on mutual respect for others and philosophy...a kind of nice, Godless, nirvanna.

>>>> Some atheist do, some don't.<<<

As soon as the muslims take over....you will no longer be able to say you do not believe in God...they will behead you

>>> You first Infidel!<<<
LCNLin

United States

#236 Nov 27, 2013
Atheists seem to be out and posting daily.

Many atheists turn out to be agnostics as difficult to accept the atheist philosophy.

Earth,TX

#238 Nov 27, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Atheists seem to be out and posting daily.
Many atheists turn out to be agnostics as difficult to accept the atheist philosophy.
Things are not at all what you try to make them seem to be.

But, for sure certain theist who have nothing to say are pulling two year old threads out of the scrap heap, just so they might have one more chance to not say it again.
Lawyers Brothel BAR

Bradenton, FL

#239 Nov 27, 2013
Most lawyers learn to lie and steal from the crooked judges that enable them.................the practice of law is not aimed at justice .........the courts exist mainly to enrich the parasites on the bench ............despite the obvious bench stench from Mark Ciavarella , Bankster Mike Raphan , Bill Rapfogel , Gerald Garson , David Eppig and the ROMNEY / OBAMA / CLARENCE THOMAS / JOHN ROBERTS Fifth Column of judge pimps and zio-stooges of AIPAC................Lawyer / Lobbyists hate the USA and shredd the BILL OF RIGHTS for fun and profit...........see LICENSE TO STEAL , Gatekeepers, SUPERMOB , THE LAW IN THESE PARTS , Operation Greylord and BY WAY OF DECEPTION by Despicable Dershowitz and Ann Ziotard Coulter.
LCNLin

United States

#240 Nov 27, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Things are not at all what you try to make them seem to be.
But, for sure certain theist who have nothing to say are pulling two year old threads out of the scrap heap, just so they might have one more chance to not say it again.
You feel atheist should not come out?

Odd but then some of your latest posts seem a bit off-base
LCNLin

United States

#242 Nov 27, 2013
another funny atheist who does not believe in
an afterlife but spends his only life
as a defensive atheist troll?

Earth,TX

#243 Nov 27, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
There are 240+ posts here in this thread. If you want to know my stance on the thread subject which I noticed that you didn't touch,(off-base much?) I suggest you go back and do some reading.

Now to address the actual pertinent posting, start here >> Things are not at all what you try to make them seem to be.

But, for sure certain theist who have nothing to say, are pulling two year old threads out of the scrap heap, just so they might have one more chance to not say it again.
LCNLin

United States

#244 Nov 27, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>There are 240+ posts here in this thread. If you want to know my stance on the thread subject which I noticed that you didn't touch,(off-base much?) I suggest you go back and do some reading.
Now to address the actual pertinent posting, start here >> Things are not at all what you try to make them seem to be.
But, for sure certain theist who have nothing to say, are pulling two year old threads out of the scrap heap, just so they might have one more chance to not say it again.
We would all love to read your collection of posts.

alas

I need to teach my parrot French
Quadratus

Troutdale, OR

#245 Nov 27, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist liar with no proof of god trying to speak for atheists...
Creationist liar ... That is saying that we know we are wrong but are deliberately stating creationism anyway. That is not accurate, we absolutely do not know we are wrong.
No proof of God ... I do have proof of God. I was born again by the Spirit of God when I was seventeen, and have known Him ever since. Granted, I cant prove Him to you, but I do have proof that He exists.
LCNLin

United States

#246 Nov 28, 2013
Happy Thanksgiving!
LCNLin

United States

#250 Nov 28, 2013
Freedom of speech on topix seems under threat?

First Amendment to the US Constitution protects freedom of speech.

Should those who whine dominate the threads?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#251 Nov 28, 2013
I'm posting this in a few places. No one should miss out on siro's most hilarious post so far.

http://www.topix.com/forum/who/occult/TNFCUVO...

Funny! Funny! Funny!
LCNLin

United States

#253 Nov 28, 2013
^ above troll tries to have those banned who fail to agree with his rants, amusing though they be.

LOL
Quadratus

United States

#254 Nov 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying about god doesn't make it real. People that lie about having met god have a mental illness that needs treatment. Suffering from a faith based mental illness is a serious matter.
Considering you admit you have no proof and are lying, you need to take responsibility for lying about god to strangers.
Mental illness ...? The God instinct is very strong in humanity. It is an instinct with man like the heterosexuality intimacy instinct, like the self preservation instinct. For a behavior to get to instinct level in a Darwinian universe, it has to be completely necessary to survival. Yet the God instinct would be just the opposite of that to natural selection. It is costly and inefficient. How did it ever come in the first place in a naturalistic universe? How did it ever survive natural selection?
I believe the God instinct came to us from God to call man to Him. I believe that like there are homosexuals whose instincts are an aberration to the normal heterosexual instinct, there are people who have aberrations in the God instinct too. They are atheists. We are the norm not you. If you want to throw around the term mental illness throw it at yourself.
Washington

Marysville, WA

#255 Nov 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying about god doesn't make it real. People that lie about having met god have a mental illness that needs treatment. Suffering from a faith based mental illness is a serious matter.
Considering you admit you have no proof and are lying, you need to take responsibility for lying about god to strangers.
OK my friend with atheism I would like to see you change a person who is absolutely owned by alcohol. Or an Islamic terrorist who has been trained to hate Americans Jews and Christians and how to blow the infidel into kingdom come. Or a homosexual who was completely owned by his cravings. Can atheism change bad men into good men I seriously doubt it. But maybe I'm just mentally ill and need a "enlightened" guy like you to be a psychiatrist to fix my mental illness.

Earth,TX

#256 Nov 28, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what you have concluded after reading the previous 240 some odd posts?

Earth,TX

#257 Nov 28, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
We would all love to read your collection of posts.
alas
I need to teach my parrot French
When you decide to resurrect dead threads, be prepared to to at least in some part familiarize yourself with the gist of said thread.

Earth,TX

#258 Nov 28, 2013
Washington wrote:
<quoted text>OK my friend with atheism I would like to see you change a person who is absolutely owned by alcohol. Or an Islamic terrorist who has been trained to hate Americans Jews and Christians and how to blow the infidel into kingdom come. Or a homosexual who was completely owned by his cravings. Can atheism change bad men into good men I seriously doubt it. But maybe I'm just mentally ill and need a "enlightened" guy like you to be a psychiatrist to fix my mental illness.
Man changes himself, no gods needed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Samuel Patre 87,245
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Sat superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web