'Ask an Atheist' broadcast from church

'Ask an Atheist' broadcast from church

There are 71 comments on the Argus Leader story from Aug 4, 2013, titled 'Ask an Atheist' broadcast from church. In it, Argus Leader reports that:

The irony was impossible to ignore, so Sam Mulvey and Rebecca Friedman, the hosts of "Ask an Atheist," remarked on it several times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Argus Leader.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#43 Aug 13, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
If you read the Holy Bible, you can see that The Lord can be with people when the hearts of the people aren't with The Lord at all times.
No, don't go blaming Judah, there is no hint of his being the failure, in that scenario. The lord was with Judah, and he failed Judah. The lord got whooped. It's your bible and you will not believe what it says. Why?

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#44 Aug 13, 2013
Aren't Christians supposed to be loving and kind? Why do you then treat us atheists like crap and say we're doomed to hell? That's not how a proper Christian should act. Shouldn't a real Christian be kind, forgiving, compassionate, meek, peaceful, loving, giving, charitable, humble, and righteous? Your post up there certainly doesn't look like any of those.

I wonder why some of the religious people on here can't follow their own teachings and act hypocritical while some do and are actually very forgiving. A few examples on here include:(just the ones I've met on here)
Nettibelle
Cisco Kid
Quin Innocence (Not sure how you spell his name.)
Serah-I never had any problems with her a long time ago. Haven't been in contact with her. I miss her deeply, though.:(
Phoenix Ascended
A woman I knew a long time ago who was Christian-she and I got along very well despite our differences in belief. Sadly, I think she is now deceased. Can't remember her name, sadly.
Wolverine-Not sure if he's still around. Again, he's from a while ago.
Snaevah's angel-she's pretty nice, unless you tick her off.
susanblange
Just to name a few. The nastiest....well, I'm not going to name them, out of respect. I don't gossip.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#45 Aug 13, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
It is understandable that there are those who don't believe even now after God came in the flesh to die and rise again so that His people would have eternal life. It was the unbelievers who killed Christ and thought the death of Christ ended the matter. When Christ rose again, the sons and daughters of Satan couldn't believe it. They couldn't that the Messiah had come and they can't believe it now. Their god, Satan, has them blinded and he knows he has them already booked for a part of the Lake of Fire. That truth will be shown to them in all of its terrifying finality. Regardless of how much unbelievers try to deny that truth, it will happen.
How totally silly. Has old dirty Jehovah made you cook and eat your children yet?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#46 Aug 13, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Your destiny will be even more horrible for you when you find out you rejected Him after reading the truth and you had the chance for eternal life. That is very sad indeed.
How did you pick this god of yours? You really thought it through first right? He wasn't passed down from your parents, was he? Are you Arabic, if you are, an Arabic god like Jehovah fits you.

But you see, we aren't Arabs, so the Arab god is not going to ever be ours, nor will we be conscripted by the filthy thing. You can keep it, we really do not do well at all, when following a thing that would make parents eat their children.

Also this little rant of yours is very much like you have walked in and urinated all over the walls. It is very, very repellant and it leaves us shuddering in disgust. Please keep your demented god-myth to yourself.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#47 Aug 13, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
It is understandable that there are those who don't believe even now after God came in the flesh to die and rise again so that His people would have eternal life.
BS. Your Jewsus never even existed-- NOTHING in the secular history records.

Not one jot.

Not even a tiddle describing your Jewsus during his alleged lifetime.

Why?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#48 Aug 13, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Your destiny will be even more horrible for you when you find out you rejected Him after reading the truth and you had the chance for eternal life. That is very sad indeed.
I reject nothing-- your Jewsus isn't real, stupid.

If you had PROOF? You would have presented it already.

What you DO have?

Is just lies and empty threats of infinite torture.

Remember:

ONLY TERRORISTS USE TORTURE.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#49 Aug 13, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Your destiny will be even more horrible for you when you find out you rejected Him after reading the truth and you had the chance for eternal life. That is very sad indeed.
And the truth is that he sent Adam out to the beast of the field, to find his help-meet, and when none was found, he cloned Adam, and created the first same sex couple, whose children found and married their spouses from the surrounding town's peoples.

Did you know that in the ancient paintings of Adam and Eve, they both had navels?
Don

Sioux Falls, SD

#50 Aug 13, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>No, don't go blaming Judah, there is no hint of his being the failure, in that scenario. The lord was with Judah, and he failed Judah. The lord got whooped. It's your bible and you will not believe what it says. Why?
There is a very good reason why I don't believe your interpretation. That reason is it is very faulty. I want to tell you something that you don't want to believe. There is no lack of power in God. He is always right, always righteous, always wanting man to come to Him in faith, trust, and love. If there is a situation in which we want to blame God for anything, the problem lies in fallen man, not in God. God has the power to change our destination from Hell to the Kingdom of God for eternity.

If you want your destination changed from Hell, you need to ask Christ to forgive your sins, you need to go to Him now. Any of us can die at any moment and is the final curtain call. Once we die, our fate is sealed and there are only two options for us: Heaven or Hell. If you have to make a mistake, and we all do, don't make a mistake regarding your final destination. It is too important.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#51 Aug 14, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a very good reason why I don't believe your interpretation. That reason is it is very faulty. I want to tell you something that you don't want to believe. There is no lack of power in God. He is always right, always righteous, always wanting man to come to Him in faith, trust, and love. If there is a situation in which we want to blame God for anything, the problem lies in fallen man, not in God. God has the power to change our destination from Hell to the Kingdom of God for eternity.
If you want your destination changed from Hell, you need to ask Christ to forgive your sins, you need to go to Him now. Any of us can die at any moment and is the final curtain call. Once we die, our fate is sealed and there are only two options for us: Heaven or Hell. If you have to make a mistake, and we all do, don't make a mistake regarding your final destination. It is too important.
When you grow up and stop lying about a god you know you made up, you will become cured of religion.
Don

Sioux Falls, SD

#52 Aug 14, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
When you grow up and stop lying about a god you know you made up, you will become cured of religion.
It is strange that those who want desperately to believe there is no God also want to believe that those who accept and know God are making it all up. It is like a person who is walking across a graveyard at night who tries to whistle to boister his quivering morale, and repeats to himself, there is no such thing as God and Hell, there is no such thing, there is no .........well, you get it.

However much you want to believe otherwise there is such a thing and all of your words of bravado will not change the existence of God and Hell. Unless you go to Christ for forgiveness of your sins and ask Him to save your soul, you will go to Hell and it will be forever.

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#53 Aug 14, 2013
I like your analogy, while I do not agree with your beliefs. That's okay, though, differences in opinion and beliefs are natural though. Rather, I think it's sort of silly to be afraid of ghosts and witches and things of that sort because we've moved past the age of superstition where we didn't know any better due to our ignorance and limited scope. But now, we have a better understanding of the way the world works, so a good number of those myths are being tossed aside.

It's also sad to see old languages die out, like Latin. What saddens me most, though, is to see people stop reading, for that is a most enlightening habit. The smarter you become is equivalent to how much you read. I suppose I use a lot of archaic language, but I hate to see the antediluvian language fade away.

Yeah, I talk like someone out of the 1800's. People have told me that before, heh heh. Anyhow, back on topic, how do you know there is an afterlife? Is there some physical proof or is this just a belief without evidence? If there is proof, I'm sure all of us would love to see it, given how much of a deal religious folks place on this place called the afterlife.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#54 Aug 14, 2013
Don wrote:
If you want your destination changed from Hell,
ONLY TERRORISTS USE TORTURE.

You worship a terrorist-- you must be one too!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#55 Aug 14, 2013
Don wrote:
Once we die, our fate is sealed
Why?

Is the god you worship SO WEAK that he CANNOT FORGIVE AFTER?

Why?

That's one ugly and weak-kneed terrorist-god you worship there...

... what a wimp.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#56 Aug 14, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
It... <hate-speech deleted>.
You are just a common terrorist-- who worships an imaginary terrorist-god.

Sickening.
Don

Sioux Falls, SD

#57 Aug 14, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
I like your analogy, while I do not agree with your beliefs. That's okay, though, differences in opinion and beliefs are natural though. Rather, I think it's sort of silly to be afraid of ghosts and witches and things of that sort because we've moved past the age of superstition where we didn't know any better due to our ignorance and limited scope. But now, we have a better understanding of the way the world works, so a good number of those myths are being tossed aside.
It's also sad to see old languages die out, like Latin. What saddens me most, though, is to see people stop reading, for that is a most enlightening habit. The smarter you become is equivalent to how much you read. I suppose I use a lot of archaic language, but I hate to see the antediluvian language fade away.
Yeah, I talk like someone out of the 1800's. People have told me that before, heh heh. Anyhow, back on topic, how do you know there is an afterlife? Is there some physical proof or is this just a belief without evidence? If there is proof, I'm sure all of us would love to see it, given how much of a deal religious folks place on this place called the afterlife.
We do have proof to ourselves that God does exist and we are a part of His family. The Book of Romans tells us that proof does exist in seeing how God created His Universe. If Christians pray that God answers their need and God does so that is proof. Let me say this. If a fisherman goes to a lake unknown to him, he has faith that fish exist in the lake. When that fisherman casts out his line and suddenly a fish bites and shortly holds the fish in his hand, his faith quickly becomes proof. That is an example of the Christian life. Interaction between God and man is its own proof.

Scientists talk about evolution. Thet tell us that tiny birds of today evolved from large dinosaurs by looking at a bone in their chests that are similar. Scientists are so busy trying to prove evolution, they have never thought that if the dinosaurs and birds have similarity in their design, they must come from a common source, I.e. God. Is this the reading of today to which you referred?

Often, scientists have made "educated" pronouncements about one thing or another only to be proven wrong by other scientists. Again, is this the reading to which you referred?

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#58 Aug 14, 2013
Yup, science is constantly evolving and changing, because people's minds change constantly. So the earth was once thought to be flat, but then people matured and realized that the earth was NOT flat-due to enough people going out to explore the earth and relating their findings to them.
However, we discredit and place in new ideas constantly in science. That's just the way it works, AND it sort of goes that way in religion, too. I mean, they do change what is okay to do, what isn't okay, that sort of thing.
Fisherman has faith....hmm, I dunno. I'd say it'd be more like depending on what fish is actually interested enough to pull on the line....it's probably half and half. Dinos are related to birds, so now they believe that they might have had feathers on them-again, MIGHT. Most theories are MIGHT, not 100% proven unless enough experiments show that they are valid and accurate.
So where is this proof? I mean, the Bible has dozens of copies, thousands of duplicates-which is the right one? Which one can be relied on? It makes it rather confusing. But what's interesting to me is how much believers talk about this place called "the afterlife." Where is the proof that such a place exists?
Don

Sioux Falls, SD

#59 Aug 14, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Yup, science is constantly evolving and changing, because people's minds change constantly. So the earth was once thought to be flat, but then people matured and realized that the earth was NOT flat-due to enough people going out to explore the earth and relating their findings to them.
However, we discredit and place in new ideas constantly in science. That's just the way it works, AND it sort of goes that way in religion, too. I mean, they do change what is okay to do, what isn't okay, that sort of thing.
Fisherman has faith....hmm, I dunno. I'd say it'd be more like depending on what fish is actually interested enough to pull on the line....it's probably half and half. Dinos are related to birds, so now they believe that they might have had feathers on them-again, MIGHT. Most theories are MIGHT, not 100% proven unless enough experiments show that they are valid and accurate.
So where is this proof? I mean, the Bible has dozens of copies, thousands of duplicates-which is the right one? Which one can be relied on? It makes it rather confusing. But what's interesting to me is how much believers talk about this place called "the afterlife." Where is the proof that such a place exists?
The proofs aren't new. The proofs, which are quite old, are used for translation to today's versions. Which ones can be trusted? The versions which say the same thing when compared to the original proofs is an excellent way to make sure nothing was changed.

Believers have learned that the Scriptures can be trusted to tell the truth about what the Holy Spirit inspired the writers of the books of the Holy Bible to say, including what the Scriptures say about the afterlife.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#60 Aug 14, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
We do have proof to ourselves that God does exist and we are a part of His family. The Book of Romans tells us that proof does exist in seeing how God created His Universe. If Christians pray that God answers their need and God does so that is proof. Let me say this. If a fisherman goes to a lake unknown to him, he has faith that fish exist in the lake. When that fisherman casts out his line and suddenly a fish bites and shortly holds the fish in his hand, his faith quickly becomes proof. That is an example of the Christian life. Interaction between God and man is its own proof.
Scientists talk about evolution. Thet tell us that tiny birds of today evolved from large dinosaurs by looking at a bone in their chests that are similar. Scientists are so busy trying to prove evolution, they have never thought that if the dinosaurs and birds have similarity in their design, they must come from a common source, I.e. God. Is this the reading of today to which you referred?
Often, scientists have made "educated" pronouncements about one thing or another only to be proven wrong by other scientists. Again, is this the reading to which you referred?
Evolution is FACT.

It HAPPENED.

Deal with it-- there is a theory about HOW it happened, yes.

But evolution is FACT.

Proof of evolution: http://www.talkorigins.org/

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#61 Aug 14, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Theblahblahblah-- redacted
You **still** haven't explained why you shouldn't be classed as a common TERRORIST.

Why?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#62 Aug 14, 2013
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a very good reason why I don't believe your interpretation. That reason is it is very faulty. I want to tell you something that you don't want to believe. There is no lack of power in God. He is always right, always righteous, always wanting man to come to Him in faith, trust, and love. If there is a situation in which we want to blame God for anything, the problem lies in fallen man, not in God. God has the power to change our destination from Hell to the Kingdom of God for eternity.
If you want your destination changed from Hell, you need to ask Christ to forgive your sins, you need to go to Him now. Any of us can die at any moment and is the final curtain call. Once we die, our fate is sealed and there are only two options for us: Heaven or Hell. If you have to make a mistake, and we all do, don't make a mistake regarding your final destination. It is too important.
That scripture very clearly states that your god failed. He was beaten. There was > NO < reference to Judah's faith at all. If fact it Judah who the lord was with when he lost.

Anything more than that, is concocted from your own mind. Myself, I have only repeated what the Holy Bible said.

I have no fear of your silly buybull myths.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Science 78,600
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr Science 1,402
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Aug 16 Science 32,430
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web