Pentecostalism causes anxiety, depression, and mental health disorders?

Posted in the Atheism Forum

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#1 Oct 27, 2012
Pentecostalism & Anxiety: Does Pentecostal Christianity Increase Anxiety?

Research has revealed a strong correlation between Pentecostalism and higher rates of anxiety, depression, and mental health disorders.

http://atheism.about.com/od/pentecostalism/a/...
Amused

Petersham, MA

#2 Oct 31, 2012
Correlation is not the same as causation. Post hoc ergo propter hoc is a logical fallacy. It is equally likely that pentacostal religion, with its invisible sky daddy taking care of everything, having an overarching plan, etc. holds great appeal for people suffering from mental health disorders, including anxiety and depression. It is very re-assuring for people who would otherwise be overwhelmed by the prospect of taking care of themselves. Or perhaps both mental health issues and religiosity are both effects of another cause, such as organic brain dysfunction.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#3 Oct 31, 2012
Interesting article and now that you mention it many Pentecostals I know are kind of wacky.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#4 Oct 31, 2012
All of them that I grew up with were seriously mentally off.

They sure knew how to step away from responsibility. Hit their kness and begin praying loud enough to wake their dead, leaving the children to face what ever the problem was.
Mr Smartypants

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Nov 2, 2012
If I were handling venomous snakes, I'd have a lot of anxiety, too. Seriously, the few Pentecostals I've known seem to be borderline schizophrenic...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min ChristineM 228,528
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Patrick 148
Is Religion Childish? 1 hr Patrick 3
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 1 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr _Bad Company 22,919
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 3 hr Richardfs 5,584
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Richardfs 674

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE