Are Atheists mentally ill?

Are Atheists mentally ill?

There are 224 comments on the Free Republic story from Aug 17, 2013, titled Are Atheists mentally ill?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

Thanks to a couple of surveys, it's being put about in certain circles that atheists have higher IQs than believers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

WorshiperOfTheLi vingGod

United States

#64 Sep 29, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
A person who is willing to die for his beliefs is called a zealot or martyr. A person who is willing to die for a cause apart from religion is also called a fanatic.
Both are considered fanatics by people who have no desire to involve themselves in issues that call for faith of any kind.
What do you call a person who is willing to sell out the human race and stand by passively, as avenging angels of a wrathful god hack to death every man, woman, and child who refuses to join the church of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Would this not be the most extreme form of mental illness on the planet?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#65 Sep 29, 2013
WorshiperOfTheLivingGod wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you call a person who is willing to sell out the human race and stand by passively, as avenging angels of a wrathful god hack to death every man, woman, and child who refuses to join the church of Jehovah's Witnesses?
Would this not be the most extreme form of mental illness on the planet?
Belief in cults and associated gods is a mental illness, here's some more proof:

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#66 Sep 29, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/w atch?v=3e7-v4jlBms

This woman, like all creationist trolls in this forum need medical help, more than a conversation.
LCNLin

United States

#67 Sep 29, 2013
Defensive generalization ?

“Putten the SIN ”

Since: Nov 08

back in Wisconsin

#68 Sep 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationism is silent on creationism - no proof whatsoever!!!
BAM!!!That has to be one of the best short and sweet refutations of creationism Ive ever read.

Bravo.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#69 Sep 30, 2013
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
BAM!!!That has to be one of the best short and sweet refutations of creationism Ive ever read.
Bravo.
The more ludicrous the cult, the easier the retort.
KJV

United States

#74 Sep 30, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, it can. But how would *you* know?
How's the Box Polly?

Made up any new theory's on how Time came into existence with out time?
You know, how the impossible happened to create the Big Bang.

That thing that Stephen Hawings said happened outside of the universe because it's impossible in the universe.

I guess I am talking about your believe system, faith, or one might say Religion.
KJV

United States

#75 Sep 30, 2013
Atheists are mentally ill wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists are mentally ill.
All research and evidence leads to the conclusion of these facts:
+Atheists are deeply depressed.
+Atheists have the higher suicide rate out of any belief system.
+Atheists suffer from social anxiety and negative perception (confidence issues).
+Atheists have an irrational hatred and obsession with religion leading to more social problems.
+There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection.
Sources in the video.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.... (The Association of Suicide Rates with Individual-Level Suicide Attitudes: A Cross-National Analysis)
https://iasp.info/pdf/papers/Bertolote.pdf (A global perspective in the epidemiology of suicide)
http://pub.uni-bielefeld.de/publication/20500... (Atheists, Agnostics, and Apostates)
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s109... #(Psychological Distress Among Religious Nonbelievers: A Systematic Review)
Well stated!

Well done!
KJV

United States

#76 Sep 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is not a religion.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists believe there are no gods.

Note the plural, wetpants.
Khatru:
"Atheists believe there are no gods."

Bingo!!

A positive belief!!
As in Religion!

A positive assertion in a belief put the burden of proof on "you" that there is no gods!

This is a perfect example of an Atheist that DOES believe there is no God.

Not an atheist that has an absence of all beliefs.

Merriam-Webster
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

Point proven!

To easy.

LOL
KJV

United States

#77 Sep 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is not a religion.
ATHEISM IS A RELIGION as deemed by the courts.
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent design proponent declared:

The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.[15]

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#78 Sep 30, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There are million of atheist that are nuts
Not all are nuts some are just stupid.
Others just want to be in a click.
Most just don't want to be held to a higher morals.
The same could be said about any human alive darlin.

There are millions of people who are nuts.

Not all people are nuts, some are just stupid.
Some just want to be in a click.

As far as the morals go... I do not believe in a god, and my moral standard is not low... My morals are most likely very close to the standards that you hold.
KJV

United States

#79 Sep 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is not a religion.
Thus, if most "non-atheist nonbelievers" were honest (and, by the way, many are) they would concede that their avoidance of the word has little to do with a principled refusal to stand up against a concept; rather, they avoid the atheist label because it carries with it a powerful stigma. Even to many nonbelievers,“atheist” is still a word that is not uttered in mixed company. In fact, some surveys show that, despite the growth of secularity in America in recent years, atheists are nevertheless the most distrusted minority.
KJV

United States

#80 Sep 30, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Same old christian crap, huh? Not surprised, really.
Where did time come from?
KJV

United States

#81 Sep 30, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>The same could be said about any human alive darlin.

There are millions of people who are nuts.

Not all people are nuts, some are just stupid.
Some just want to be in a click.

As far as the morals go... I do not believe in a god, and my moral standard is not low... My morals are most likely very close to the standards that you hold.
"There are millions of people who are nuts"

Yup there called atheist for short.

"My morals are most likely very close to the standards that you hold"

Are you male or female?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#82 Sep 30, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"There are millions of people who are nuts"
Yup there called atheist for short.
"My morals are most likely very close to the standards that you hold"
Are you male or female?
It's your choice to see all atheists the way you do. I disagree.

I am female. Why do you ask?
Thinking

Royston, UK

#83 Oct 1, 2013
Click?

You prique![sic]
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There are million of atheist that are nuts
Not all are nuts some are just stupid.
Others just want to be in a click.
Most just don't want to be held to a higher morals.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#84 Oct 1, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
ATHEISM IS A RELIGION as deemed by the courts.
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent design proponent declared:
The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.[15]
Atheism is not a religion and ONE creationist idiot called KJV isn't going to change its definition, just by typing out his OPINIONS!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#85 Oct 1, 2013
Lying creationists cannot even accept the definition of atheism from atheists, what hope is there of them ever proving the gods they lie about for a living?
Amused

Lowell, MA

#86 Oct 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
...
Yup there called atheist for short.
...
So, we should take guidance from someone who hasn't even mastered the basic principles of his own language?

Smart people know their sh*t.
Stupid people know they're sh*t.
Extremely stupid people don't know enough to find a bathroom and sh*t there.

Ironically, King James convened the best writers he could find to make the version of the bible bearing his name the pinnacle of English language literature. You disappoint both Jesus and King James.

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#87 Oct 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"There are millions of people who are nuts"
Yup there called atheist for short.
"My morals are most likely very close to the standards that you hold"
Are you male or female?
Why are you so curious to know people's genders on here? That's sort of irrelevant to the topic at hand, is it not? You don't need to know our genders, you just need to know our opinions, that's all.

I'm male. Oh, and there is not proper. It's They're you want there and it should be "atheists", not atheist. There are more of us than one, so it should be plural. How come people today can't seem to get grammar right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Universe from Nothing? 2 min IB DaMann 512
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Thinking 43,194
News Why I quit atheism 3 hr Chazofsaints 705
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Chazofsaints 18,515
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Chazofsaints 3,844
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 3 hr Chazofsaints 5,689
Good arguments against Christianity 3 hr Thinking 205
More from around the web