Are Atheists mentally ill?

Aug 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Free Republic

Thanks to a couple of surveys, it's being put about in certain circles that atheists have higher IQs than believers.

Comments
1 - 20 of 226 Comments Last updated Nov 28, 2013
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

“And I won't watch this anymore”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#1 Aug 17, 2013
A bunch of typical religious tripe concocted by the usual suspects. It's Exactly what it says on the tin, folks. It's more of the same nonsense that says "Believers are better than you atheists, you are all annoying idjits who don't know better than we do! Believe in our beliefs or else you burn!"

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#2 Aug 17, 2013
Science flies you to the moon.

Religion flies you into buildings.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#4 Aug 18, 2013
4:26 am, Sunday. August 18, 2013:
RE: Are Atheists mentally ill?
..... Obviously all fanatics, including religion fanatics, are mentally ill.
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#5 Aug 18, 2013
A person who is willing to die for his beliefs is called a zealot or martyr. A person who is willing to die for a cause apart from religion is also called a fanatic.
Both are considered fanatics by people who have no desire to involve themselves in issues that call for faith of any kind.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#6 Aug 18, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
A person who is willing to die for his beliefs is called a zealot or martyr. A person who is willing to die for a cause apart from religion is also called a fanatic.
Both are considered fanatics by people who have no desire to involve themselves in issues that call for faith of any kind.
A simple minded arrogant liar is known as a creationist.
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#7 Aug 18, 2013
The truth hurts doesn't it....

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#8 Aug 18, 2013
Noah: A boat?

God: Yes.

Noah: Two of every animal?

God: Yes.

Noah: I have a better idea.

God: What.

Noah: Maybe don't kill everyone.
True Christian witness wrote:
The truth hurts doesn't it....
Thinking

UK

#9 Aug 18, 2013
god: No, I still want to drown loads of babies - whilst masturbating.
Noah: Fair enough then. But how do I get two of every animal we haven't discovered yet? It's a logistical nightmare.
god: Don't worry about the Galapagos finches. They're going to be trouble.
swerty wrote:
Noah: A boat?
God: Yes.
Noah: Two of every animal?
God: Yes.
Noah: I have a better idea.
God: What.
Noah: Maybe don't kill everyone.<quoted text>
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10 Aug 19, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
The truth hurts doesn't it....
It certainly demolishes religion.
Amused

Brookfield, MA

#11 Aug 19, 2013
Full Story: Free Republic

That really is the full story. Once you see that attribution, you can be confident there's nothing worth reading in it.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#12 Aug 19, 2013
Only to the delusional.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#13 Aug 22, 2013
A man without the New World Translation in his hands is like a fish without a bicycle.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#14 Aug 25, 2013
No...Atheists are not mentally ill.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#15 Aug 25, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
The truth hurts doesn't it....
No, the TRUTH does not hurt, it refreshes.

Your professed truth on the other hand, a religion that claims 99.97 percent of the human race, man, woman, and child will be slaughtered at a battle called Armageddon for refusing to join your church that you insist is not a church, this alleged truth hurts. It hurts a lot.

Innocent people have been harmed by the insanity you call truth.

Families have been destroyed, careers have been ruined, children's pleas for help against pedophiles have been ignored because there were no witnesses.

Lives have been put on hold for failed prophecy after failed prophecy. People have died needlessly for refusing to take blood transfusions based on ignorance of the scriptures and what group of people they applied to, and a sick need for martyrs by the organization.

Now this is the TRUTH.
LCNlin

United States

#16 Aug 25, 2013
Taxing situation :-)

The leader of an atheist group reportedly is incensed that the U.S. government has granted it a tax exemption, citing allowances for religious organizations — and she’s even angrier at learning that she’s considered a minister under the Internal Revenue Service code.

“We are not ministers,” said Annie Laurie Gaylor, who heads the Freedom from Religion Foundation in The Blaze. She added: The organization doesn’t want the tax exemption if it’s based on codes granting allowances to religious groups.

“We are having to tell the government the obvious – we are not a church,” she said.

Most people might welcome the chance to bypass paying taxes to the IRS. The Justice Department even filed a brief in court arguing that Ms. Gaylor is eligible for the exemption, which gives her tax-free housing, because she heads the group and atheist organizations are eligible for some of the same benefits granted churches.

But Ms. Gaylor’s group is suing, saying the federal government’s tax exemptions for religious groups does not apply to the atheists — and that the federal government’s insistence on giving the benefit is actually tantamount to a tax-free housing award, The Tennessean reported. Ms. Gaylor and her husband, Dan Barker, initially were awarded a government housing allowance of $15,000 per year in 2009. They’ve been arguing they don’t deserve the benefit — because they’re atheists and proud to claim no religious affiliation — ever since.

The Justice Department’s view: Buddhism and Taoism are affiliations that don’t believe in God, but they’re still considered religions and are qualified for the benefit.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#17 Aug 26, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Taxing situation :-)
The leader of an atheist group reportedly is incensed that the U.S. government has granted it a tax exemption, citing allowances for religious organizations — and she’s even angrier at learning that she’s considered a minister under the Internal Revenue Service code.
“We are not ministers,” said Annie Laurie Gaylor, who heads the Freedom from Religion Foundation in The Blaze. She added: The organization doesn’t want the tax exemption if it’s based on codes granting allowances to religious groups.
“We are having to tell the government the obvious – we are not a church,” she said.
Most people might welcome the chance to bypass paying taxes to the IRS. The Justice Department even filed a brief in court arguing that Ms. Gaylor is eligible for the exemption, which gives her tax-free housing, because she heads the group and atheist organizations are eligible for some of the same benefits granted churches.
But Ms. Gaylor’s group is suing, saying the federal government’s tax exemptions for religious groups does not apply to the atheists — and that the federal government’s insistence on giving the benefit is actually tantamount to a tax-free housing award, The Tennessean reported. Ms. Gaylor and her husband, Dan Barker, initially were awarded a government housing allowance of $15,000 per year in 2009. They’ve been arguing they don’t deserve the benefit — because they’re atheists and proud to claim no religious affiliation — ever since.
The Justice Department’s view: Buddhism and Taoism are affiliations that don’t believe in God, but they’re still considered religions and are qualified for the benefit.
Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/...
WHen the creationists realise they cannot prove their god, they resort to lying, defamation and propoganda - like all cults do.
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#18 Aug 26, 2013
Atheists are not to be considered mentally ill, they are mentally blind, that's all, they just can't see reality and reason on why it rains and why the Sun is exactly enough distance from the earth, or anything else God created for man's existence. No, rather they are to be pitied, because they cannot love the designer and Creator of all life.
Matthew 22:37-39

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

#19 Aug 26, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
Atheists are not to be considered mentally ill, they are mentally blind, that's all, they just can't see reality and reason on why it rains and why the Sun is exactly enough distance from the earth, or anything else God created for man's existence. No, rather they are to be pitied, because they cannot love the designer and Creator of all life.
Matthew 22:37-39
How can you and your religion claim to love a GOD that your masters have formally rejected? It is easily verifiable that the GOD at the core of the teachings of the historical Jesus is OMNIPRESENT.

You have a false god with a false name and you make false claims based on ignorance and blind faith in the words of men.

You really need to wake up to the truth of your being and stop making the judgmental and hateful claims you do out of ignorance of simple and provable facts.

The scripture you tried to apply to others fits you well. Nobody can LOVE what they deny exists! Yet you claim atheists are mentally blind for rejecting the same thing you do!

You claim to be Christian but deny the GOD that Jesus taught about!

You are blind to the truth of your existence and are being led by men who are just as blind as you are.

Wake up to your true nature, True Christian witness, then perhaps your avatar will mean something:

We all need to get informed as to the evil nature of the Roman hoax of Christianity and it's many derivatives such as the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses that deny the Jewish GOD and the Jewish Jesus and get involved in restoring true Christianity based on the OMNIPRESENT GOD of Israel to humanity that is even now being found to be in accord with the latest scientific findings concerning the nature of the Cosmos!

GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#20 Aug 26, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
Atheists are not to be considered mentally ill, they are mentally blind, that's all, they just can't see reality and reason on why it rains and why the Sun is exactly enough distance from the earth, or anything else God created for man's existence. No, rather they are to be pitied, because they cannot love the designer and Creator of all life.
Matthew 22:37-39
Thanks for proving my point. When creationists realise they cannot prove their god, they choose to lie about athiests.
Shameless people with no morals to speak of.
LCNlin

United States

#21 Aug 26, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving my point. When creationists realise they cannot prove their god, they choose to lie about athiests.
Shameless people with no morals to speak of.
The word cult in current usage is a pejorative term for a new atheist movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 33 min KiMare 226,387
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 3 hr Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 4 hr _Bad Company 1
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 hr Patrick 61
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 6 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 6 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 7 hr CunningLinguist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••