Atheism: A very dangerous absurdity

May 28, 2012 Read more: Examiner.com 361

Atheism is one of the most absurd belief systems every devised. A worldview based on denial of a belief in God will inevitably manifest itself in bitterness, anger, and hatred.

Read more

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#21 May 29, 2012
redneck wrote:
<quoted text>Go back and read it all. Start with the second paragraph.
So the rest of it was a stupid as the first sentence.
What a waste of my time.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#22 May 29, 2012
"Floyd Elliott, of Independence, Mo., told police that two subjects attacked him in the parking lot of his apartment complex. He said the attackers cut him in the stomach, branded him with a hot knife and attempted to carve the word “fag” on his forehead.

Investigators were suspicious about the report because the head carving was backwards, as if done while looking into a mirror. Later, Elliott admitted to police that the injuries were self-inflicted. Can you say, Elliott stepped in it?

Friends, immediately after reading this report I had to look up the word “stupid” in the Webster’s 1828 dictionary. It’s defined as “very dull; insensible; senseless.” Stupid, I say, not only because he carved “fag” on his forehead backwards, but because he acted as if his contrived crime would go unpunished before the God who sees all things (Hebrews 4:13).

Considering that all crime is motivated by hate, oftentimes you have to examine the allegations of the supposed “hate crime” to make the distinction as to who is doing the hating. It seems today that more often than not those that are decrying hate are the ones that are actually perpetuating it. They intend through deceptive measures to create monsters out of those who don’t agree with their lifestyles or political agendas and revert back to their carnal nature for distorted guidance, so in the end they can become the victim......."

http://www.wnd.com/wnd_video/when-gays-are-th...
Amused

Lowell, MA

#23 May 29, 2012
The author is right about one thing. Atheism is 'very dangerous' to those who seek to perpetuate a myth. This is much easier to do when the people you are trying to keep faithful to the myth do not hear any other information besides that which the myth-keepers choose to feed them. Even those who are capable of thought will be unable to think outside the confines of the myth if they are not given information that undermines the myth.

Unfortunately for the myth keepers, it only takes one boy pointing out that the emperor has no clothes to puncture the faith-balloon. This makes it imperative that the myth keepers paint the non-believers as immoral, dangerous 'others' bent on persecuting the majority believers. Only by such means can the myth keepers keep the sheep from thinking about what the non-believers say.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#24 May 29, 2012
yon wrote:
Since atheists are evidently a political force, Who are the atheist core constituents who exhibit lower morals and no need for a good conscience?
actuallyi, the core constituents of Christian rightwing extremism include many persons with low morals and a need to get forgiven merely by believing in a superstition, rather than by trying to repair all the harm they have done. Christianity is for sinners for a reason - it is easy for them to be lazy, do nothing to help any one or repair any damage they have done, or even to keep on doing harm, if they think they are saved and will go to heaven if they believe a lot of nonsense that amounts to just kissing-ass of a jealous god.

Many atheists have a very fine ethical system, and have a good conscience because they try to do as little harm as possible. Some have even tried to repair the damage done by believers, who refuse to help those whom they injured.

Some Christians do believe in being good after they have repented their sins, and do not claim they can continue to be bad and just say they believe. That helps a little - actually probably quite a lot. But it does not help the people they have already injured.

The connection between ethics and religion is not simple, and not direct. I strongly believe that getting love and support in childhood from a loving family and friends helps people to feel secure and to be kind to others. But being threatened with hell is not loving, and many socalled religious parents terrorize their children with stories about hell.

Orefield, PA

#25 May 29, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> actuallyi, the core constituents of Christian rightwing extremism include many persons with low morals and a need to get forgiven merely by believing in a superstition, rather than by trying to repair all the harm they have done. Christianity is for sinners for a reason - it is easy for them to be lazy, do nothing to help any one or repair any damage they have done, or even to keep on doing harm, if they think they are saved and will go to heaven if they believe a lot of nonsense that amounts to just kissing-ass of a jealous god.
Many atheists have a very fine ethical system, and have a good conscience because they try to do as little harm as possible. Some have even tried to repair the damage done by believers, who refuse to help those whom they injured.
Some Christians do believe in being good after they have repented their sins, and do not claim they can continue to be bad and just say they believe. That helps a little - actually probably quite a lot. But it does not help the people they have already injured.
The connection between ethics and religion is not simple, and not direct. I strongly believe that getting love and support in childhood from a loving family and friends helps people to feel secure and to be kind to others. But being threatened with hell is not loving, and many socalled religious parents terrorize their children with stories about hell.
“When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.”
Emo Philips
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#26 May 29, 2012
yon wrote:
"..Stupid, I say, not only because he carved “fag” on his forehead backwards, but because he acted as if his contrived crime would go unpunished before the God who sees all things (Hebrews 4:13)...
This is something the superstitious take very seriously - the idea that injustices in this life will be sorted in the next. I doubt 9/11 or 7/7 or most suicide attacks in recent times would have been possible without such dogma and faith.

One should only believe anything as far as the belief can be justified by reason and evidence.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#27 May 29, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> actuallyi, the core constituents of Christian rightwing extremism include many persons with low morals and a need to get forgiven merely by believing in a superstition, rather than by trying to repair all the harm they have done. Christianity is for sinners for a reason - it is easy for them to be lazy, do nothing to help any one or repair any damage they have done, or even to keep on doing harm, if they think they are saved and will go to heaven if they believe a lot of nonsense that amounts to just kissing-ass of a jealous god.
A student of Rabbi Zusha of Anipoli once asked him why God allowed atheism to flourish in the world.

“Atheism,” answered Rabbi Zusha,“is one of the most important doctrines in the world. Imagine if a believer sees a hungry man in the street. He would say,‘I hope God will help him.’ But when an atheist sees him, he runs to help because he thinks he is the only one who can assist him!”
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#28 May 29, 2012
yon wrote:
The only thing that keeps atheists and wanna-bes from being immoral is their fear of getting caught in their own vices with nothing to look forward to but permanent extinction. And like the "Fox Who Cut off His Tail" - they spend so much energy trying to pack life into their dying organisms by trying to recruit other fools into their miserable, hopeless state and blaspheme the Creator.
What makes no sense is the nihilist behavior of wasting so much time ranting against what they believe doesn't exist if they're so convinced? Why not just go some place other than a religion forum if they're not recruiting the weak and vulnerable?

1 Peter 5:8
"Be sober, be watchful: your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#29 May 29, 2012
This thread may be on a religious forum but it is also on the Atheism one (where I found it).

I am sober, but it has nothing to do with devils, roaring lions that walketh about and other cods-wallop.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#30 May 29, 2012
Matthew 24:37-39

"And as were the days of Noah, so shall be the coming of the Son of man. For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and they knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall be the coming of the Son of man.'
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#31 May 29, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
A student of Rabbi Zusha of Anipoli once asked him why God allowed atheism to flourish in the world.
“Atheism,” answered Rabbi Zusha,“is one of the most important doctrines in the world. Imagine if a believer sees a hungry man in the street. He would say,‘I hope God will help him.’ But when an atheist sees him, he runs to help because he thinks he is the only one who can assist him!”
that would not be a completely fair generalization. Some believers might feel they were supposed to be kind to someone poor and hungry.(I suspect fewer would feel compelled to work for social justice, economic justice, education, jobs, decent housing, etc, so that fewer people are in desperate conditions) some atheists might not be caring persons But there is more urgency for the atheist who is a caring person to act - because he does not think he has any supernatural being to do it if he does not.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#32 May 29, 2012
EdSed wrote:
This thread may be on a religious forum but it is also on the Atheism one (where I found it).
I am sober, but it has nothing to do with devils, roaring lions that walketh about and other cods-wallop.
So why not go back to where you came from and take your take your friends with you?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#33 May 29, 2012
Amused wrote:
The author is right about one thing. Atheism is 'very dangerous' to those who seek to perpetuate a myth. This is much easier to do when the people you are trying to keep faithful to the myth do not hear any other information besides that which the myth-keepers choose to feed them. Even those who are capable of thought will be unable to think outside the confines of the myth if they are not given information that undermines the myth.
Unfortunately for the myth keepers, it only takes one boy pointing out that the emperor has no clothes to puncture the faith-balloon. This makes it imperative that the myth keepers paint the non-believers as immoral, dangerous 'others' bent on persecuting the majority believers. Only by such means can the myth keepers keep the sheep from thinking about what the non-believers say.
so many believers have to reinforce their views over and over, and associate with others who share them. it is as if they have to be propped up, in a confining way, and not allowed to have any freedom of intellectual movement. like being in a kind of mental box.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#34 May 29, 2012
Unless you're saying atheism, etc, is religion? Or an anti-religion and you're here to destroy?

Orefield, PA

#35 May 29, 2012
yon wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes no sense is the nihilist behavior of wasting so much time ranting against what they believe doesn't exist if they're so convinced? Why not just go some place other than a religion forum if they're not recruiting the weak and vulnerable?
1 Peter 5:8
"Be sober, be watchful: your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."
If the theists would keep their beliefs to themselves, there wouldn't be a problem, but since the reality is that religious nuts(like you) think they have a right to push their beliefs into the goverment and try to indoctrinate other people children in the public school, than it must be opposed.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#36 May 29, 2012
Don't you do the same thing?
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#37 May 29, 2012
We have standards. You don't.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#38 May 29, 2012
You're like a religion without God.

Orefield, PA

#39 May 29, 2012
yon wrote:
Don't you do the same thing?
Nope. We live in a secular country. If an atheist protest things like prayer in school, etc...., it is in defense of the US constitution. Your god doesn't trump that.

Orefield, PA

#40 May 29, 2012
yon wrote:
We have standards. You don't.
We have standards too, they just aren't based on a fairytale. As a matter of fact, we can't just ask some invisible sky pixie for forgiveness and not feel guilty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 26 min Samoan Irish 318
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 33 min James 14,554
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 47 min Aerobatty 237,705
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 48 min James 7,399
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr James 18,461
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 1 hr James 19
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 1 hr James 149
More from around the web