Atheism: A very dangerous absurdity

Atheism: A very dangerous absurdity

There are 361 comments on the Examiner.com story from May 28, 2012, titled Atheism: A very dangerous absurdity. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Atheism is one of the most absurd belief systems every devised. A worldview based on denial of a belief in God will inevitably manifest itself in bitterness, anger, and hatred.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#350 Jun 27, 2012
LoL wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that's all fine and well, but you're simply lying while denying. There's no way an educated person in this country doesn't know that, at L.E.A.S.T. 3/4ths of THIS universe, we can neither
SEE
HEAR
MEASURE
in ANY WAY: yet, through empirical physical evidence and mathematics both pointing in precisely the same directions,
THE KNOWN MEASUREABLE UNIVERSE IS K.N.O.W.N. ALSO FOR IT'S M.I.N.O.R.I.T.Y.
P.O.R.T.I.O.N.
of the W.H.O.L.E.
But you're in here "I NO EVERTHANG, I NO THAIR AINT NOBODY KIN HIDE THAYSELF FRUM ME TO TEST A BUNCH OF JUVENILSE of their OWN RACE, for
RESPONSIBILITY, INTELLECTUAL EVOLUTION, LEADERSHIP"
You KNOW no such THING because ATHEISTS ADMIT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING IN 3/4THS OF THE UNI/MULTI VERSE.
You sound like you're trying so hard because what you're saying has the water tightness of a seive.
YOU'VE ALREADY BEEN EXPOSED as a RAMPANT liar about things YOU WISH: you WISH mankind knew everything there is to know of any importance.
A STERILE LOOKING UNIVERSE WHERE THERE SHOULD BE LIFE SPAMMING RADIO OR OTHER SIGNALS,
while knowing F.U.L.L. W.E.L.L. WE'RE ONLY ABLE TO EVEN SEE: MUCH LESS QUANTIFY OR KNOW HOW TO IMPINGE UPON
*25%* of what's O.B.V.I.O.U.S.L.Y. there....
and you're 'credible.'
That kind of loose lip talk would be thrown out of any courtroom in this country after what I pointed out.
You're just trying way too hard.
In other words, you have absolutly zero evidence for a god.

Orefield, PA

#351 Jun 27, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Your head my heal.
Thanks for the admission that you have nothing to answer my post with.

You lose again.
LoL

Los Angeles, CA

#352 Jun 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
I think the government is proposing to restrict the sale of whatever it is you are on. you make a good case for that.<quoted text>
It's you who are on intoxicants, although, I looked over it and was like !doh.

Point should be made clearly: <quoted text>
You're simply lying while denying.

There's no way an educated person in this country doesn't know that, at L.E.A.S.T. 3/4ths of THIS universe, we can neither
SEE
HEAR
MEASURE
in ANY WAY: yet, through empirical physical evidence and mathematics both pointing in precisely the same directions,
THE KNOWN *MEASUREABLE* UNIVERSE
IS K.N.O.W.N. ALSO
FOR IT'S
M.I.N.O.R.I.T.Y. P.O.R.T.I.O.N.
of the W.H.O.L.E. Universe.

You're in here, "I NO EVERTHANG, I NO THAIR AINT NOBODY KIN HIDE THAYSELF FRUM ME, TO TEST A BUNCH OF JUVENILES of their OWN RACE, for

You KNOW no such THING because ATHEISTS ADMIT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING IN 3/4THS OF THE UNIVERSE.

You sound like you're trying so hard because what you're saying has the water tightness of a seive.

There's the fact of a surprisingly STERILE LOOKING UNIVERSE,
WHERE THERE SHOULD BE LIFE - SPAMMING RADIO, OR OTHER SIGNALS,
yet not one single signal from anywhere.

Yet life's everywhere out there is it? Why because it's mathematically unlikely?

See that's the point creationists have: that this universe is a SMALL PORTION of a LARGER one SEPARATED to provide a training ground.
To train a race of beings that, they claim, have defeated death, to deal with the dramatic, heavy consequences, of such if it had indeed been achieved.
And we all know the math says, that other life far ahead of what we see here, MUST SURELY EXIST.

and you're 'credible' IN CLAIMING Y.O.U.*K*N*O*W* something it's demonstrably IMPOSSIBLE
to know.
That kind of loose lip talk would be thrown out of any courtroom in this country after what I pointed out.
LoL

Los Angeles, CA

#353 Jun 27, 2012
The first one was very bad, I'm sorry.
LoL

Los Angeles, CA

#354 Jun 27, 2012
Mathematically, unlikely, that life's NOT there?*

above. Sorry multiple edits.

“Tesla”

Since: Jul 11

Los Altos Hills, CA

#355 Jun 27, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not post this.(above)
Atheist are closed minded book worms who take the word of man as Gospel and the word of God as myth.
Atheistism is a Religion as their followers have to believe that there is no God with out any proof.
Weird, people have actually met god and heard his words? Atheism is being able to understand. To understand that the bible was written by a human being, to understand that dinosaurs existed, and to understand how you can't fit one of every animal on an ark among many other things. But to be religious, you have to BELIEVE the unbelievable. There is no believing in atheism, there is only understanding.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#356 Jun 27, 2012
LoL wrote:
<..........at L.E.A.S.T. 3/4ths of THIS universe, we can neither....
MEASURE in ANY WAY: yet, through empirical physical evidence.........
Uh huh

Orefield, PA

#357 Jun 27, 2012
LoL wrote:
<quoted text>
It's you who are on intoxicants, although, I looked over it and was like !doh.
Point should be made clearly: <quoted text>
You're simply lying while denying.
There's no way an educated person in this country doesn't know that, at L.E.A.S.T. 3/4ths of THIS universe, we can neither
SEE
HEAR
MEASURE
THE KNOWN *MEASUREABLE* UNIVERSE
IS K.N.O.W.N. ALSO
FOR IT'S
M.I.N.O.R.I.T.Y. P.O.R.T.I.O.N.
of the W.H.O.L.E. Universe.
You're in here, "I NO EVERTHANG, I NO THAIR AINT NOBODY KIN HIDE THAYSELF FRUM ME, TO TEST A BUNCH OF JUVENILES of their OWN RACE, for
You KNOW no such THING because ATHEISTS ADMIT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING IN 3/4THS OF THE UNIVERSE.
There's the fact of a surprisingly STERILE LOOKING UNIVERSE,
WHERE THERE SHOULD BE LIFE - SPAMMING RADIO, OR OTHER SIGNALS,
yet not one single signal from anywhere.
Yet life's everywhere out there is it? Why because it's mathematically unlikely?
See that's the point creationists have: that this universe is a SMALL PORTION of a LARGER one SEPARATED to provide a training ground.
To train a race of beings that, they claim, have defeated death, to deal with the dramatic, heavy consequences, of such if it had indeed been achieved.
And we all know the math says, that other life far ahead of what we see here, MUST SURELY EXIST.
and you're 'credible' IN CLAIMING Y.O.U.*K*N*O*W* something it's demonstrably IMPOSSIBLE
to know.
In other words, you have absolutly zero evidence for a god.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Nehwon

#359 Jul 1, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
Their true nature (dishonest) always comes through eventually.
I don't think dishonesty is their true nature. I would say childish is their true nature.

Think back to elementary school where you were a student and there was an authority figure of the teacher (in theist eyes, priest/pastor/minister/imam). When a child did something wrong and caught the teacher's eye, they may lie and push the blame of their actions onto someone else (liberals/atheists/jews/mormon s/catholic/and so on and so on). Especially if there's the threat of a higher authority figure involved (the Vice Principal of the school! ack! or in the thiest's case, god.)

It may be that religion is actually a good thing for a little while longer. From what I've seen, I'm not so sure that theists can work out for themselves what is moral without someone telling them what is. To do so requires critical thinking and risking that one may be wrong in light of new facts or circumstances.
Sharkey

Reno, NV

#360 Jul 1, 2012
All beliefs, including non-belief are "absurd" in the sense that they are more like weapons the human race uses against itself.
Since beliefs are up to the individual, that turns the collective ONE of the human species against itself.
Perhaps it would have been better for human brains to be programmed like robots off an assembly line, programmed with the exact same thoughts, feelings, and actions. At least we wouldn't be destroying ourselves like we are now.
Who knows, maybe we're trying it now by inventing computer chips that can program the human brain to think and do certain things. If anyone has watched the show "Futurama" you'll know what I mean...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#361 Jul 2, 2012
Sharkey wrote:
All beliefs, including non-belief are "absurd" in the sense that they are more like weapons the human race uses against itself.
Since beliefs are up to the individual, that turns the collective ONE of the human species against itself.
Perhaps it would have been better for human brains to be programmed like robots off an assembly line, programmed with the exact same thoughts, feelings, and actions. At least we wouldn't be destroying ourselves like we are now.
Who knows, maybe we're trying it now by inventing computer chips that can program the human brain to think and do certain things. If anyone has watched the show "Futurama" you'll know what I mean...
Beliefs are not up to individual.

If I choose to believe I can fly. It doesn't matter how HARD is believe it.

When I jump, I will die. And that's reality.

There are HARD truths in our world, which theists are unwilling to face.

People who think holding any old beliefs is OK and is democratic and is freedom are wrong.

People who choose to hold unproven beliefs, need to take responsibility for them.

The need to be honest and admit when they are wrong.

When Creationists say the earth is 6000 years old and we show them hard evidence that it's older, they need to step back, ADMIT that they DELIBERATELY LIED.

However because of the arrogance and willful ignorance of Theism, we must share the world with proven liars who won't sh*t the f*ck up about their imaginary god.

They choose to recruit stupid people who won't question their lies, and then tell you their beliefs are true because XX number of people belief in them too.

We don't want or need lying cults in society, people need to get some self respect and re-learn what honesty is all about...
Concerned In Bremen

Phenix City, AL

#362 Aug 7, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>This has been a constant argument in this forum and the impetus for a great deal of quote mining. Uncharacteristically, I decided to do a little mining of my own and found the following:

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly."

- Albert Einstein, letter to Morris Raphael Cohen, professor emeritus of philosophy at the College of the City of New York, March 19, 1940. Einstein is defending the appointment of Bertrand Russell to a teaching position.

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."

- Albert Einstein, Ideas and Opinions (1954)

"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained to liberation from the self."

- Albert Einstein, The World As I See It (1949)

"The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer."

- Albert Einstein, quoted in: Einstein's God - Albert Einstein's Quest as a Scientist and as a Jew to Replace a Forsaken God (1997)

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

- Albert Einstein, letter to Guy H. Raner Jr., Sept. 28, 1949, quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic, Vol. 5, No. 2

http://atheism.about.com/od/einsteingodreligi...

In view of the above, I think that whether one views Einstein as an atheist depends on how one defines the word. Most of us would see him as an agnostic atheist, some as merely an agnostic. He certainly did no believe in God as the word is defined when capitalized, but the awe that he expressed at the majesty of the universe was similar to the reverence that believers have for their gods.

Mainly, he refused to be pinned down or pigeonholed, to be lumped in with lessor minds in support of a rigid atheism. But he did not denigrate "the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth." It was simply not in his nature to pursue that path himself.

I think it's safe to say that Einstein would not have supported many of the arguments that are put forth here by either side.
"For me the idea of god is the product of human weakness"

Ole Einstein.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#363 Aug 7, 2012
[QUOTE who="Anglo saxon & proud"]The way the Christians feel the need to lie and say Darwin wasn't an athiest, it seems like an act of sheer desperation on their part. I believe they tell this lie to each other in an attempt to prop each others delusions up. The problem is when they try and introduce this fable into a forum of more educated people it all unravels on them,and they're made to look like the idiots they are.[/QUOTE]
The only idiot here is you. Here, I'll let Darwin explain what he thought.
"With respect to the theological view of the question: This is always painful to me. I am bewildered. I had no intention to write atheistically, but I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars or that a cat should play with mice... On the other hand, I cannot anyhow be contented to view this wonderful universe, and especially the nature of man, and to conclude that everything is the result of brute force. I am inclined to look at everything as resulting from designed laws, with the details, whether good or bad, left to the working out of what we may call chance." The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin (1887), Ch. 6 "The Voyage —1831-1836".

Doesn't sound very atheistic to me. In fact, in 1879 Darwin explained that he had never been an atheist insofar as denying the existence of God, and that Agnostic would be the more correct description of his state of mind. "Darwin Correspondence Project: What did Darwin believe?"

Maybe if you tried READING instead of parroting what other idiots tell you to think, you'd come across as less arrogant and stupid.(I won't hold my breath though)

In fact it's kind'a funny really, yer as dogmatic as any close-minded religious zealot. Your belief was challenged and you absolutely lost your shit over it. You even go so far as to call it a lie despite plenty of existing evidence to the contrary, including Darwin's own words.
I laugh heartily at your "education". The only thing that unravelled in this thread was you as your sheer stupidity came shining through like a beacon.

You know that taste in your mouth right now? That's the taste of your ass being publicly handed to you.
Enjoy ;-)

Location hidden

#364 Aug 8, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
"With respect to the theological view of the question: This is always painful to me. I am bewildered. I had no intention to write atheistically, but I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars or that a cat should play with mice... On the other hand, I cannot anyhow be contented to view this wonderful universe, and especially the nature of man, and to conclude that everything is the result of brute force. I am inclined to look at everything as resulting from designed laws, with the details, whether good or bad, left to the working out of what we may call chance." The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin (1887), Ch. 6 "The Voyage —1831-1836".
Doesn't sound very atheistic to me. In fact, in 1879 Darwin explained that he had never been an atheist insofar as denying the existence of God, and that Agnostic would be the more correct description of his state of mind. "Darwin Correspondence Project: What did Darwin believe?"
Maybe if you tried READING instead of parroting what other idiots tell you to think, you'd come across as less arrogant and stupid.(I won't hold my breath though)
In fact it's kind'a funny really, yer as dogmatic as any close-minded religious zealot. Your belief was challenged and you absolutely lost your shit over it. You even go so far as to call it a lie despite plenty of existing evidence to the contrary, including Darwin's own words.
I laugh heartily at your "education". The only thing that unravelled in this thread was you as your sheer stupidity came shining through like a beacon.
You know that taste in your mouth right now? That's the taste of your ass being publicly handed to you.
Enjoy ;-)
Evolution is a fact. It's really funny watching people try to lie about scientific facts and attempt to discredit a genius who was responsible for showing where human's actually came from.

When theists learn to stop lying about Evolution then an actual conversation can begin.

Bullsh*t is no foundation for a conversation about reality.

Location hidden

#365 Aug 8, 2012
Actually, did i say funny? I meant pitiful.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#366 Aug 8, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
Next time quote in context. Here's the whole letter :

"With respect to the theological view of the question. This is always painful to me. I am bewildered. I had no intention to write atheistically. But I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae [wasps] with the express intention of their [larva] feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars, or that a cat should play with mice. Not believing this, I see no necessity in the belief that the eye was expressly designed. On the other, I cannot anyhow be contented to view this wonderful universe, and especially the nature of man, and to conclude that everything is the result of brute force. I am inclined to look at everything as resulting from designed laws, with the details, whether good or bad, left to the working out of what we may call chance. Not that this notion at all [original italics] satisfies me. I feel most deeply that the whole subject is too profound for the human intellect. A dog might as well speculate on the mind of Newton. Let each man hope and believe what he can. Certainly I agree with you that my views are not at all necessarily atheistical. The lightning kills a man, whether a good one or bad one, owing to the excessively complex action of natural laws. A child (who may turn out an idiot) is born by the action of even more complex laws, and I can see no reason why a man, or other animals, may not have been aboriginally produced by other laws, and that all these laws may have been expressly designed by an omniscient Creator, who foresaw every future event and consequence. But the more I think the more bewildered I become; as indeed I probably have shown by this letter. Most deeply do I feel your generous kindness and interest. Yours sincerely and cordially, Charles Darwin" (Darwin to Asa Gray,[a minister] May 22, 1860)
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ce/3/part10.h...

Nunya

#367 Aug 8, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy ;-)
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
Well I'll be damned! Here's some more on Darwin's thoughts about design :

"One word more on 'designed laws' and 'undesigned results.' I see a bird which I want for food, take my gun and kill it, I do this designedly. An innocent and good man stands under a tree and is killed by a flash of lightning. Do you believe (and I really should like to hear) that God designedly killed this man? Many or most persons do believe this; I can't and don't. If you believe so, do you believe that when a swallow snaps up a gnat that God designed that that particular swallow should snap up that particular gnat at that particular instant? I believe that the man and the gnat are in the same predicament. If the death of neither man nor gnat are designed, I see no good reason to believe that their first birth or production should be necessarily designed." (Darwin to Asa Gray July 1860)

Nunya

#368 Aug 8, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy ;-)
Oh boy this is fun!:

"Your question what would convince me of Design is a poser. If I saw an angel come down to teach us good, and I was convinced from others seeing him that I was not mad, I should believe in design. If I could be convinced thoroughly that life and mind was in an unknown way a function of other imponderable force, I should be convinced. If man was made of brass or iron and no way connected with any other organism which had ever lived, I should perhaps be convinced. But this is childish writing." (Darwin to Asa Gray, Sept. 17 [1861?])

Nunya

#369 Aug 8, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
"With respect to the theological view...
How bout some more?:

Did God ordain, Darwin asked, "that the crop and tail-feathers of the pigeon should vary in order that the fancier might make his grotesque pouter and fantail breeds? Did he cause the frame and mental qualities of the dog to vary in order that a breed might be formed of indomitable ferocity, with faws fitted to pin down the bull for man's brutal sport?" Surely no one could admit divine providence in these matters! Darwin concluded, then, by parity of reasoning, that "no shadow of reason can be assigned for the belief that variations, alike in nature and the result of the same general laws, which have been the groundwork through natural selection of the formation of the most perfectly adapted animals in the world, man included, were intentionally and specially guided." (Darwin in Variations of Animals and Plants Under Domestication, II [D. Appleton and Company, 1875], P.415, as cited by Ric Machuga in his article, "Clockwork Origins?" in Books & Culture: A Christian Review, Jan./Feb. 1996, P. 19.)

Nunya

#370 Aug 8, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
Enjoy ;-)
Right back at ya MF'er :

"...With respect to Design, I feel more inclined to show a white flag than to fire my usual long-range shot. I like to try and ask you a puzzling question, but when you return the compliment I have great doubts whether it is a fair way of arguing. If anything is designed, certainly man must be: one's 'inner consciousness'(though a false guide) tells one so; yet I cannot admit that man's rudimentary mammae [nipples]... were designed. If I was to say I believed this, I should believe it in the same incredible manner as the orthodox believe the Trinity in Unity. You say that you are in a haze; I am in thick mud; the orthodox [creationist Christian] would say in fetid, abominable mud; yet I cannot keep out of the question. My dear Gray, I have written a deal of nonsense. Yours most cordially, C. Darwin" (Darwin to Asa Gray Dec. 11, 1861)
Creationists should get to know the real Darwin, not some caricature of the man and his ideas based on a few quotations lifted out of context. I do hope that any creationists reading the above two paragraphs from Darwin's letters will not cite merely the final sentences, namely, "...this is childish writing," and, "I have written a deal of nonsense." Of course, if such quotations were lifted out of context and began appearing in creationist magazines, they would fit nicely with others we have examined in issues of this newsletter!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Gary Coaldigger 20,684
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 14 min New Age Spiritual... 245,179
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 14 min Eagle 12 11,035
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr EdmondWA 14,669
John 3:16 3 hr Thinking 98
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 9 hr Anonymous1386 22
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 12 hr Thinking 19
More from around the web