Who is an atheist?

Full story: The Sydney Morning Herald

In my last blog there was a moderately spectacular blue between various parties .
Comments
9,161 - 9,180 of 9,182 Comments Last updated Aug 31, 2013

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Sorry about the typos in that last post. I was writing it too quickly (obviously).

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

one cube parsec wrote:
<quoted text>
A watch placed higher will be running faster? How does that happen?
That is part of the curvature aspect of time. Actually, someone at the same level as the clock will not see it running anything other than at 'normal' speed. it is someone deeper in the gravity well that will observe the higher clock as ticking faster.

A *very* weak analogy is the latitude lines on the sphere. As you move north from the equator, the lines have smaller length, even though there is still 360 degrees.
What if time flows UNevenly?
That is called 'proper time' and is specific to a particular observer. it is vaguely related to the length of the path in four dimensions. Different paths have different lengths, and so different amount of proper time transpired. The analogy isn't perfect: straight lines in 4D spacetime *maximize* the proper time, while they *minimize* the length.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

One viable theory of the universe:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-all-of...

</sarcasm>
spider

March, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is part of the curvature aspect of time. Actually, someone at the same level as the clock will not see it running anything other than at 'normal' speed. it is someone deeper in the gravity well that will observe the higher clock as ticking faster.
A *very* weak analogy is the latitude lines on the sphere. As you move north from the equator, the lines have smaller length, even though there is still 360 degrees.
<quoted text>
That is called 'proper time' and is specific to a particular observer. it is vaguely related to the length of the path in four dimensions. Different paths have different lengths, and so different amount of proper time transpired. The analogy isn't perfect: straight lines in 4D spacetime *maximize* the proper time, while they *minimize* the length.
Your posts are fascinating and as an average guy I offer no opposition to your data,,,, however as I understand things and according to some of the reading I have done in the past,, this all changes in the event that a black hole is introduced,,, do you care to comment or give an explanation.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. And all that is required is that there be at least one such correspondence.
<quoted text>
And this is wrong because points have zero size. The correspondence follows because non-parallel lines always intersect at exactly one point.
<quoted text>
Nope, all points in both lines are of zero length. But there is a correspondence between them.
<quoted text>
All you showed is that *this* particular correspondence fails, not that all possible correspondences fail. We only need one to eastablish equality of cardinalities.
Once again, infinite sets can be in correspondence with proper subsets of themselves. Remember the positive integers vs. the even ones?
<quoted text>
So this particular correspondence fails. A correspo0ndence that fails in this way only shows the cardinality of one set is greater than *or equal* to the cardinality of the other.
<quoted text>
Can you show that the chair I am sitting on is not just in my mind? What standard do you use?
<quoted text>
Yes.
Thanks! I had forgotten the positive integers vs even integers thing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
</sarcasm>
Heresy!

The correct value is Last Tuesday, 9 am, when the universe was created by the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

We know it was 9am, because the IPU is a fan of Judge Judy, which starts at 9am in her locality.

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
To quote Iron Man 2?

Or more specifically, the character of Tony Stark?

"Here I am in my 40's, and you're still taking me to school"

:)

"Here I am in my 50's and Polymath is still taking me to school"

:D

Since: Aug 13

Brighton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

nah

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posts are fascinating and as an average guy I offer no opposition to your data,,,, however as I understand things and according to some of the reading I have done in the past,, this all changes in the event that a black hole is introduced,,, do you care to comment or give an explanation.
What is said still applies to black holes. Someone deeper in the gravity well is seen by those farther out as having slower clocks. Crossing that event horizon makes a difference as to whether they can see you at all, though.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is said still applies to black holes. Someone deeper in the gravity well is seen by those farther out as having slower clocks. Crossing that event horizon makes a difference as to whether they can see you at all, though.
Indeed. But hanging out right at the event horizon? Could be a sort of forward-only time machine.

Provided you can figure out how to escape later.

:)

There was a whole series of SciFi books written around this idea, the Heechee by someone or other (I forget who---it was a while ago).

Here we go: Wiki to the rescue! It was Frederik Pohl.

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heechee" ;
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
</sarcasm>
thanks, I love the onion.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Heresy!
The correct value is Last Tuesday, 9 am, when the universe was created by the Invisible Pink Unicorn.
We know it was 9am, because the IPU is a fan of Judge Judy, which starts at 9am in her locality.
;)
I certainly hope the invisible pink unicorn decides to become visible some day and explain things to us all. A nice creator would do that, especially if it is a pretty one, as I assume a pink unicorn would be - depending on the shade of pink. Hot pink might be a bit much. also assuming it looks more like a horse than a goat.

Do you think this request could also be addressed to alternate possible creators, or would we be scared to death if we saw the real one and heard from it what it is really up to? I would have more optimism regarding the pink unicorn, though perhaps a flying horse type would be less threatening.
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

All american Illuminati presidents
Doctor REALITY

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Atheists KNOW that the Lord is REAL! But men have CHOSEN to run from the Lord in exchange for the soul-damning pleasures of sin!!
spider

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Doctor REALITY wrote:
Atheists KNOW that the Lord is REAL! But men have CHOSEN to run from the Lord in exchange for the soul-damning pleasures of sin!!
When you die you will find there is nothing else, fortunatley for you, you wont now about it.

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

Doctor REALITY wrote:
As opposed to you who knows that Thor is real and yet "have CHOSEN to run from the Lord in exchange for the soul-damning pleasures of sin!!"
Normand Winnipeg

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

--- atheist are beings who reject THE WAYS OF GOD and therefor they reject GOD... "THE WAYS OF GOD" ARE "THE BEST"...

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to you who knows that Thor is real and yet "have CHOSEN to run from the Lord in exchange for the soul-damning pleasures of sin!!"
I see someone has judged my post, anyone care to own up and explain why they judged it harshly?
LCNLin

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

Albert Einstein called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said an "attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Doctor REALITY wrote:
Atheists KNOW that the Lord is REAL!
You are truly clueless: atheist means does not believe in god.

This means we do not know either.

Your desperation is showing, though.
Doctor REALITY wrote:
But men have CHOSEN to run from the Lord in exchange for the soul-damning pleasures of sin!!
Nope. I'd be and to the same things either way-- I have not sinned.

But clearly, you are just jealous.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••