Who is an atheist?

Full story: The Sydney Morning Herald

In my last blog there was a moderately spectacular blue between various parties .
Comments
8,501 - 8,520 of 9,181 Comments Last updated Aug 31, 2013
Bob

Needham, MA

#8765 Nov 25, 2012
If you continue to believe in a supreme being into adulthood than you are a nut.Children are told these fairytales and they should leave fairytales behind when they grow up. Time to grow up folks this child tales were never mente for you. BOB

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8766 Nov 25, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Polymath257 is an atheist that is respectful and easy to speak with. He does not put anyone down and respects others. I respect this person. Richard, learn from him and stop using the educational barrier.
What a cry baby.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#8767 Nov 25, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>So is the right to criticize the beliefs of others.

The point is (1) that people are reminded why we have separation of church and state, and (2) that people who haven't yet made up their minds can be exposed to the irrationality of religious belief.

Educated What wrote, "I don't push my beliefs at you and you shouldn't have to push what you believe on me. You just choose to do so."

I'm not "pushing" anything. I'm stating my position. You've always been entirely free not to frequent this thread, yes? Nothing obligates you to be here, correct? You chose, entirely of your own free will, to enter this thread, correct?
Did you read the article I posted? If so what do you think about it?

Location hidden

#8768 Nov 25, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>What a cry baby.
Lol! You got stomped and you just don't know how to react do you. You made false claims with nothing to back you up. Hey your friends do better, learn from them. They make it interesting.

Location hidden

#8769 Nov 25, 2012
Bob wrote:
If you continue to believe in a supreme being into adulthood than you are a nut.Children are told these fairytales and they should leave fairytales behind when they grow up. Time to grow up folks this child tales were never mente for you. BOB
I guess our intelligence in the military who are religious are nuts, I guess Givemeliberty's wife is a nut cause she's catholic, I guess the President of the US is a nut also, I guess business owners that are religious are nuts, I guess our senate reps who are religious are nuts. I guess you are perfectly fine right?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#8770 Nov 25, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
It won't be. Too many of them.
I'll settle for "fractured into utter irrelevance".

Which is, to my unabashed glee, the direction in which it's merrily galloping.

When every True Believer« finally recognizes that he's just another cult-of-one, there will be a wonderful party

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#8771 Nov 25, 2012
Educated What wrote:
Did you read the article I posted?
Yes.
Educated What wrote:
If so what do you think about it?
Not much. Atheism isn't a "replacement" for religion. One might just as well claim that "not believing in the Tooth Fairy" is a "replacement" for "believing in the Tooth Fairy".(The author to which Austin is replying, Barber, isn't using the term "replacement" in the way that Austin is.) So the author is engaged in a straw man argument.

And his statement "...at its best religious faith calls for sacrifice, unselfishness, love, and a willingness to remove oneself from the center of the universe, so to speak." But simply living in a social species (with circles of close family, distant family, neighbors, friends, etc.) calls for that, without the need for religion. The author is implying that atheists never sacrifice (does he realize how many atheists have served in the military?), and that atheists are selfish (I have no doubt that atheists are just as likely as anyone else to give to their spouses, their children, the parents, and to charity in an unselfish manner, and not to feel that they must do so just because an imagined deity requires it).

And I don't think that the author makes a convincing case for the long-term future of religious belief when he says "...human beings long for transcendence of some sort, as shown by the presence and prevalence of religious belief throughout cultures across time." Humans have, for just as long, found many different ways to practice "transcendence", such as art.
Pinky Minus The Brain

Lake Forest, CA

#8772 Nov 25, 2012
Trolled.

The Borderland of Sol

#8773 Nov 25, 2012
Alea iacta est wrote:
The consequence of non action is greater of that of belief.
That's a slightly decayed version of Pascal's Wager.

Doesn't work, sorry.
Nothing to Looose

UK

#8775 Nov 25, 2012
Alea iacta est wrote:
The consequence of non action is greater of that of belief.
I buy that!

Location hidden

#8776 Nov 25, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.

Educated What wrote, "If so what do you think about it? "

Not much. Atheism isn't a "replacement" for religion. One might just as well claim that "not believing in the Tooth Fairy" is a "replacement" for "believing in the Tooth Fairy".(The author to which Austin is replying, Barber, isn't using the term "replacement" in the way that Austin is.) So the author is engaged in a straw man argument.

And his statement "...at its best religious faith calls for sacrifice, unselfishness, love, and a willingness to remove oneself from the center of the universe, so to speak." But simply living in a social species (with circles of close family, distant family, neighbors, friends, etc.) calls for that, without the need for religion. The author is implying that atheists never sacrifice (does he realize how many atheists have served in the military?), and that atheists are selfish (I have no doubt that atheists are just as likely as anyone else to give to their spouses, their children, the parents, and to charity in an unselfish manner, and not to feel that they must do so just because an imagined deity requires it).

And I don't think that the author makes a convincing case for the long-term future of religious belief when he says "...human beings long for transcendence of some sort, as shown by the presence and prevalence of religious belief throughout cultures across time." Humans have, for just as long, found many different ways to practice "transcendence", such as art.
I believe the author makes a great case! Very well written.

Location hidden

#8777 Nov 25, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'll settle for "fractured into utter irrelevance".

Which is, to my unabashed glee, the direction in which it's merrily galloping.

When every True Believer® finally recognizes that he's just another cult-of-one, there will be a wonderful party
Won't happen. Things change just like people change teams. Hispanics are very religious and since they will be the majority, religion will make a stand.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#8778 Nov 25, 2012

Educated What wrote:
I believe the author makes a great case! Very well written.
I notice that you didn't address any of the points I made.

The Borderland of Sol

#8779 Nov 25, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Won't happen. Things change just like people change teams. Hispanics are very religious and since they will be the majority, religion will make a stand.
Tell that to the Camacho family.

“What trolls???”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#8780 Nov 25, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice that you didn't address any of the points I made.
Science > Religion.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8781 Nov 26, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol! You got stomped and you just don't know how to react do you. You made false claims with nothing to back you up. Hey your friends do better, learn from them. They make it interesting.
I see you have learned to play pigeon chess.

You are just another typical godbot. You are all the same. You come to a thread on an atheist forum shoot your mouth off about some BS and then demand respect when you get shot down.

Location hidden

#8782 Nov 26, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>I see you have learned to play pigeon chess.

You are just another typical godbot. You are all the same. You come to a thread on an atheist forum shoot your mouth off about some BS and then demand respect when you get shot down.
It's hard to believe that you see anything. There's no BS, no preaching, and I don't care who you respect. You didn't shoot me down you just lied because you couldn't prove your claims. Check mate!
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#8783 Nov 26, 2012
An atheist is anyone who denies that the universe came into being through an Eternal,Almighty Creator. And that Almighty Creator is none other than....the Lord Jesus Christ,who also gave His life for ALL at the Holy Cross of Calvary.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8784 Nov 27, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to believe that you see anything. There's no BS, no preaching, and I don't care who you respect. You didn't shoot me down you just lied because you couldn't prove your claims. Check mate!
Creationist liar with no proof of god, lying away pretending to be innocent when in the past he's called all atheists "child molestors & hitler".

Go back to your failed discovery institute cult and tell them you've failed to convert any atheists for the last two years.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8785 Nov 27, 2012
Doctor REALITY wrote:
An atheist is anyone who denies that the universe came into being through an Eternal,Almighty Creator. And that Almighty Creator is none other than....the Lord Jesus Christ,who also gave His life for ALL at the Holy Cross of Calvary.
An atheist is a lack of belief in god and nothing more than that.

You idiot Creationists preach lies and hatred and that's why nobody believes you're ridiculous bullsh*t you call a religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min Patrick 226,341
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 7 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 8 hr Patrick 172
100% Faith Free 11 hr Thinking 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••