Atheists win a battle but may lose the war

Religion has been invigorated by those who came to bury God. One shelf of my bookcase is now groaning under the weight of its contents. Full Story
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#13113 Jul 22, 2010
The Scriptures are believable because they expose the failures and weaknesses of God's greatest heroes.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13114 Jul 22, 2010
jumper wrote:
The Scriptures are believable because they expose the failures and weaknesses of God's greatest heroes.
Proving that there is no god behind either the scriptures or the "heroes"....

A **real** god would have better quality material...

“No Bishop,No King,No Nobility”

Since: May 08

The Underworld

#13115 Jul 22, 2010
Epicurus wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are back in sunny Fla, you know that we are the lighting capitol of the world
Not really..

Lightning capital of the US, which some people -think- is the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Global_ligh...

“No Bishop,No King,No Nobility”

Since: May 08

The Underworld

#13116 Jul 22, 2010
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to guess that you are referring to Yankee Yahoo.
That be the one.

Every single time this one gets on a new soap box it happens to be the same soap box YY was on during his visits.
Joe Fortuna

United States

#13117 Jul 22, 2010
jumper wrote:
Even though I sometimes use scriptures in my posts, I don't believe very many are worth anything, but to show that thier god is created in thier own image, or show the contradictions, and lies that are in the bible

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#13118 Jul 22, 2010
no1special wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are lazy, and unwilling or unable to actualy think.
What you did yesterday is irrelevant. you are not the person you were yesterday. You never will be that person again.
If you choose not to participate, but only to cut and past old material, you are a hack, a putz, a piker. And beneath both notice and contempt.
Though I agree with many of the ideas you put forth, you are over the top in reaching for moral hgh ground.

The folks that come to this thread are just ordinary people who live ordinary lives. Each one has ideals of what life should be and each one faces the inevitable contradictions to those ideals in their own thoughts and behavior. I hope you will turn some of that inspection of others into introspection of yourself--and be able to find yourself as a worthy person.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#13119 Jul 22, 2010
Epicurus wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful comment! Kudos
You have missed you're calling... OP ED maybe?
You seldom post something that does not either inform or interest me. Excellent command of the language, I'm jealous! ;-)

Thanks. It's always fun to see an old post resurrected, especially with such kind comments.
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#13120 Jul 22, 2010
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Proving that there is no god behind either the scriptures or the "heroes"....
A **real** god would have better quality material...
Not every subject in the bible is sun shine and lolly pops.Those people lived a hard life,and sometimes had to learn hard lessions.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#13121 Jul 22, 2010
BlondieIsBlondie wrote:
<quoted text>
As you said you are not interested...
You just believe because you want to believe
also you do not want to know the reason i was awake at this hour but it was because i study and i work late and sometimes i talk to my friends through msn and other stuff like that
I am also a member to this site and when i saw the title i could not resist not to reply after a "religious"day (I had a very....nice talk with a christian orthodox..)
Anyways your life is your life..
you can believe in a god or not to..
you always have the chance instead of praying to spent that time learn people better...
As for the link it was not hard to find..
http://home.comcast.net/~pobrien48/serial_kil...
One small piece of it:
"Almost all serial killers start quoting one verse after another from the Christian Bible. This shows most serial killers had strong religious upbringing"
You reminded me my christian teacher he had five kids when the one had cancer he said god will save him so he went on and prayed when he died he said it was god's will and when his wife dumbed him and he malested her i was like "was god's belief and will for him to kick the hell out of his wife,let his 11 year old son to die not even let him do a chemo or any therapy and for him to be imprisoned and deeply religious amost schizophrenic?"
The only gods are people..
start to believe in them for a change
An other articlefrom a christian (almost agnostic)psychiatrist:
"Therefore, the mind of a Christian serial killer works like this: as long as I accept Jesus as my savior, it doesn't matter what I do as long as i am doing it for god"
And an other one:
"On TV a woman said she had interviewed more serial killers, just after they were caught, than any other person. She said "when you ask a serial killer questions like "Why did you murder this moral, loving married person with children?" "Didnít you think of how terrible this would be to her husband, her children, her parents?" Almost all serial killers start quoting one verse after another from the Christian Bible. This shows most serial killers had strong religious upbringing, have been studying the bible for years and were still very Christian religious when they were murdering."
ALSO A TRUE FACT TOO:
"Hitler was a Roman Catholic alter Boy and wrote of wanting to be a Catholic priest. He and his men in charge of killing six million Jews were Catholic religious fanatics until death.
Stalin went to college to be a Protestant Christian minister. He became president of Russia and time after time had millions murdered."
If you haven't already reviewed int, this report might interest you... http://www.fbi.gov/publications/serial_murder...
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#13122 Jul 22, 2010
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though I sometimes use scriptures in my posts, I don't believe very many are worth anything, but to show that thier god is created in thier own image, or show the contradictions, and lies that are in the bible
Truth is objective to each person

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#13123 Jul 22, 2010
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean--you don't believe in St. Vincent Lombardi. The Packers home ground really is sacred!
Other than that, ya, I don't get any of those celebs or sports figures either.
LMAO! My husband would agree with you. His idea of mass is Monday night football.

Location hidden

#13124 Jul 22, 2010
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean to tell me that you are not in love with Mel Gibson??? LOL
Imagine that! I've never found athletes or actors very compelling. Now Brian Greene, that's another story. When I happened to meet him at a lecture he was giving on string theory, I couldn't remember how to speak and just stuttered. Pathetic! Especially since I had some questions for him.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#13125 Jul 23, 2010
Path wrote:
<quoted text>That be the one.
Every single time this one gets on a new soap box it happens to be the same soap box YY was on during his visits.
Yes, I agree. Yankee Yahoo and no1special are very similar.

And they have the same repulsive, quibbling Sheldon personality that has them pit against everybody else, as well as the same bombastic, pontificating style, the same fixation on semantic irrelevancies, and a penchant for returning the conversation to politics.

But most unusual is the insistence that he is an atheist as he proceeds to apologize for religion.

Does it matter? No, not to me. What difference does it make how many aliases these annelids use?
Pat

Granby, CT

#13126 Jul 23, 2010
Princess Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine that! I've never found athletes or actors very compelling. Now Brian Greene, that's another story. When I happened to meet him at a lecture he was giving on string theory, I couldn't remember how to speak and just stuttered. Pathetic! Especially since I had some questions for him.
Pathetic is when I rode my bicycle straight into a telephone pole while looking at a beautiful girl walking by in a bikini. Of course she had to run over and bend down while I am laying there in pain and ask me if I was all right. I could just feel my face turn red as a beet. I think that was the one time in my life I asked for god's assistance to please just kill me now! Fortunately for me, as with all prayer, he failed to come though. LOL

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#13127 Jul 23, 2010
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Pathetic is when I rode my bicycle straight into a telephone pole while looking at a beautiful girl walking by in a bikini. Of course she had to run over and bend down while I am laying there in pain and ask me if I was all right. I could just feel my face turn red as a beet. I think that was the one time in my life I asked for god's assistance to please just kill me now! Fortunately for me, as with all prayer, he failed to come though. LOL
It could have been worse. You could have had an involuntary erection and emission while laying there.

Is that the work of God? Who can say?

This was:

We're in the ICU doing CPR on a dying patient, and a very busty nurse and I are on opposite sides of the bed. She's leaned over the patient doing chest compressions, which aren't much different from the kinds of things people do to exercise or accentuate their own chests.

This posture is putting a strain on her blouse buttons. Finally, her top pops open, and I saw the face of God.

Plus, she had to keep pumping until someone else saw her plight and rescued her, which couldn't be me, since I was running the code.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#13128 Jul 23, 2010
<quoted text>
It could have been worse. You could have had an involuntary erection and emission while laying there.
This was:
We're in the ICU doing CPR on a dying patient, and a very busty nurse and I are on opposite sides of the bed. She's leaned over the patient doing chest compressions, which aren't much different from the kinds of things people do to exercise or accentuate their own chests.
This posture is putting a strain on her blouse buttons. Finally, her top pops open, and I saw the face of God.
Plus, she had to keep pumping until someone else saw her plight and rescued her, which couldn't be me, since I was running the code.
Long live the code!

“Science, not faith.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#13129 Jul 23, 2010
<quoted text>
This was:
ROFL! Who's chest was she compressing?
Joe Fortuna

United States

#13130 Jul 23, 2010
jumper wrote:
<quoted text>Truth is objective to each person
Yes! thats true, but for a god that say's what he means, he sure has a lot of people interperating what he said, didn't mean what he said.

Location hidden

#13131 Jul 23, 2010
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG!!!(When I use that phrase I'm actually "praying" to the FMS or the IPU.) That is just hilarious. I'll be sure to learn from your funny tale of woe and,(1) Never run in anything but my usual dress of jeans and sweatshirt,(2) stay way from bikinis,(3) never offer assistance to a male who has fallen down or run into a telephone pole.

Does that cover it?

Location hidden

#13132 Jul 23, 2010
<quoted text>
This was:
You are a bad boy and deserve to be punished. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min Thinking 233,238
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 56 min _Bad Company 220
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 59 min _Bad Company 23,287
God' existence 1 hr thetruth 100
Evidence for God! 1 hr thetruth 378
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr thetruth 2,637
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr thetruth 183
More from around the web