Do the New Atheists have any new ideas? - five-minute video debate

Jul 8, 2013 Full story: The Guardian 12

Andrew Brown challenges philosopher and atheist Daniel Dennett to convince him that the New Atheists have new ideas - and that they have really changed the face of belief in America.

Full Story

“And I won't watch this anymore”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#1 Jul 9, 2013
Wow. Andrew Brown has a lot of good points in his argument. By making us atheists into a group, we are indeed acting as bad as the fundies that plague this site. We should rather adopt the more mature attitude of living with others whose beliefs are different than our own.

I didn't like how Dennett was painting the church as being like the Mafia. The church has done a lot of bad things, but also a lot of good. You can condemn the beliefs as being ridiculous and stupid, but you can't say that every religious person has to be evil.

That's just generalization there. I'm not sure that all of the Communists are necessarily atheists. Hitler definitely was religious, as was Stalin.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#2 Jul 10, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
I didn't like how Dennett was painting the church as being like the Mafia. The church has done a lot of bad things,
Paoblo Escobar did good things as well, however that does not justify his crimes. One does not get to justify doing bad by doing good. A cop who rescues abused women, but abuses his own wife, cannot use the good that he has done to get out of a prison sentence. The god of the bible does sound like a mafia chief, telling people that they will burn if they do not accept or worship God.

the alternate future

#3 Jul 10, 2013
Yeah, I suppose, but to dictate that religious people change their ways is just as bad as having religious folk do that to us. It is not mature to make others believe as I do.

#4 Jul 10, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Yeah, I suppose, but to dictate that religious people change their ways is just as bad as having religious folk do that to us. It is not mature to make others believe as I do.
I won't try to dictate to people what to think or believe, but I will continue to state that the Bible encourages hate and intolerance.

the alternate future

#5 Jul 10, 2013
True, true. Ethics has nothing to do with religion, though-still, people can be religious and still be kind and loving.

#6 Jul 10, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
True, true. Ethics has nothing to do with religion, though-still, people can be religious and still be kind and loving.
No doubt that most xtians are loving people, I was once one of them. That fact makes their beliefs even more baffling. But then again, most do not actually read the bible.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#7 Jul 11, 2013
I don't think that it is a matter of having new ideas as much as understanding the decline of old ones like religion, agnosticism, atheism, secularism, faith, worship, religious language in everyday speech and written laws and other old ideas.

What the new atheists did was to challenge where religion interferes in politics, science, education, the law and morality.

An example is ID/Creationism in schools. Whole classes were leaving UK schools dismissive of evolution and convinced of ID/Creationism. Some even thought the Earth 6,000 years old. It wasn't politicians and certainly not religious leaders who spoke-out. Efforts by Prof Dawkins brought the problem to public attention in news items...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15226421

It was journalists too...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11808658
and religion is declining in the face of education and science anyway. What the so-called "new atheists" (Prof Dawkins chose 'agnostic', btw) did was to help intelligent debate of such questions and avoid being unduly confrontational about it. Prof Dawkins and Rowan Williams (then Archbishop of Canterbury) got-along very well.

The origin of the term 'New Atheists' is obscure, but these people don't seem to have invented it. It seems to have been used as much by religionists and perhaps indended to be accusative by some.
Indogitrust

Raleigh, NC

#8 Jul 12, 2013
When religious fundies cease shoving their ridiculous bullshit down my throat, I will no longer fight back against them.

the alternate future

#9 Jul 12, 2013
Good luck with that. Judging by how the ones on this forum act, you'd expect them to be twice as terrifying in real life. I think the Internet probably makes them feel stronger and "tougher" so they feel they can insult as many people as they want to without repercussion.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10 Jul 13, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
Its hard to believe that someone who believes "all atheists are fools" is a loving or genuine person.

Theists just look ridiculous walking up to athiests, pretending to be friends, when all the while, their cult requires them to regard them as fools.
LCN Llin

United States

#11 Jul 13, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its hard to believe that someone who believes "all atheists are fools" is a loving or genuine person.
Theists just look ridiculous walking up to athiests, pretending to be friends, when all the while, their cult requires them to regard them as fools.
Lenny?, posting under this name, can read your mind?
LOL

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#12 Jul 13, 2013
Any idea less 2000 years old would be new to a godbot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min KiMare 233,214
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr Richardfs 179
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Morse 2,625
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Morse 23,279
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Morse 5,960
faith & pride 3 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr _Bad Company 214
More from around the web