Losing faith in faith: Barker to speak

Feb 21, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Student Printz

This Saturday, an evangelical minister of 19 years turned atheist is coming to the University of Southern Mississippi to tell his story.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2013
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

"Losing faith" is just another false religious concept like "belief system" and "religious and moral",(as if religion and morality are concomitant). I have lost my "belief" in Santa, but one is losing nothing by giving up any superstition. It's simply being more rational.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Faiths based on second or third hand knowledge are weak by their very nature.

True faith is based on accurate knowledge.

For example, I could say I believe I can ride a bicycle but this would indicate a degree of uncertainty. Most people who could ride a bicycle would simply state the fact.

Belief systems based on complex interpretations of ancient scripture to verify prophecy proving the validity of the belief system are very shaky.

This is why constant meetings to reinforce the faith of the congregation are needed.

Reinforcement of faith is not needed when such faith is built on accurate knowledge.

When I get on my bicycle, I don't say I believe I can do it. I just jump on the bicycle and head on down the highway!

Today we are beginning to see the path of Science and the path of Mysticism beginning to merge.

One interesting scientific proof that has profound implications is the confirmation of Bell's theorem on entangled particles:

http://www.plim.org/nonlocal.htm

We don't fully understand it scientifically but there is something beyond time, space, and all it contains, that is responsible for the creation of time, space, and all it contains.

We don't know what it is. But we know that it is out there.

This is how far we have gotten in our quest for the accurate knowledge of what is. It's not much but it's a foundation.

And it is a foundation built on accurate knowledge that can be confirmed to be so by careful observation of ourselves and what is all around us.

We are slowly confirming the reality of the experiential truth that has been alluded to by mystics such as the historical Jesus for centuries.

All that we perceive is an illusion, a projection of a greater reality. Humanity's delusion is in considering this illusion of projection our primary reality.

Using science and meditation, the mystical experience is more accessible to all of us as ordinary human beings than it has ever been before.

I have been summing up this mystical experience like this in most of my posts:

GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
Faiths based on second or third hand knowledge are weak by their very nature.
True faith is based on accurate knowledge.
For example, I could say I believe I can ride a bicycle but this would indicate a degree of uncertainty. Most people who could ride a bicycle would simply state the fact.
Belief systems based on complex interpretations of ancient scripture to verify prophecy proving the validity of the belief system are very shaky.
This is why constant meetings to reinforce the faith of the congregation are needed.
Reinforcement of faith is not needed when such faith is built on accurate knowledge.
When I get on my bicycle, I don't say I believe I can do it. I just jump on the bicycle and head on down the highway!
Today we are beginning to see the path of Science and the path of Mysticism beginning to merge.
One interesting scientific proof that has profound implications is the confirmation of Bell's theorem on entangled particles:
http://www.plim.org/nonlocal.htm
We don't fully understand it scientifically but there is something beyond time, space, and all it contains, that is responsible for the creation of time, space, and all it contains.
We don't know what it is. But we know that it is out there.
This is how far we have gotten in our quest for the accurate knowledge of what is. It's not much but it's a foundation.
And it is a foundation built on accurate knowledge that can be confirmed to be so by careful observation of ourselves and what is all around us.
We are slowly confirming the reality of the experiential truth that has been alluded to by mystics such as the historical Jesus for centuries.
All that we perceive is an illusion, a projection of a greater reality. Humanity's delusion is in considering this illusion of projection our primary reality.
Using science and meditation, the mystical experience is more accessible to all of us as ordinary human beings than it has ever been before.
I have been summing up this mystical experience like this in most of my posts:
GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!
A lot of words for saying that you just make things up as you go.

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of words for saying that you just make things up as you go.
well I see you don't waste words when you engage in attempting to put people down who express something you can't accept.

I said what I said, I used the words I used, to point out something I have confirmed for myself that you can't yet accept.

There are honest atheists who admit they face a mystery when contemplating existence and retain an open mind when approaching what is.

And then there are those who seek refuge behind a denial of that which they can neither confirm nor deny out of a subconscious fear of the god they were taught of in childhood.

You can tell the ones in denial by their constant caustic remarks about anything that rattles their cage just like those trapped in hate and fear based religions.

Our awareness of what is is slowly getting clearer. And a form of holographic consciousness does appear to be the foundation of existence:

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/overview....

The more we can observe the universe around us without the blinders of fear given us by our religious heritage the more we can feel like Albert Einstein did who said :

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest-a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty."

But those hiding behind denial of a reality they were taught to fear won't see it because they are afraid to look.

It is understandable that you hate false religions based on fear and hate with a foundation of primitive myths.

But hate is simply fear acting out. Meeting hate with hate is not going to work for you.

What are you afraid of?

You really haven't let go of the fear of the volcano god of your ancestors, you have just buried it with a denial of any facts that might rattle your cage.

Here is another quote from Albert Einstein:

"The man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life."

You can be an atheist, KittenKoder , and still have respect for those who are experiencing the same reality that you are in different ways. And leaving yourself open to the mystery can help you solve it.

There are religious bigots of all kinds, even some atheists!

Don't be a bigot! It limits your options.

I, myself am an atheist in the sense that I don't study theology nor accept a god that can be described. But I don't let it blind me to the awesome mystery of what is!
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

No disrespect (and who's accusing whom of bigotry?), but I entirely agree with KittenKoder - a lot of words with nought to say.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
And then there are those who seek refuge behind a denial of that which they can neither confirm nor deny out of a subconscious fear of the god they were taught of in childhood.
Denying something that there is no evidence for, is a completely reasonable stance.
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
You can tell the ones in denial by their constant caustic remarks about anything that rattles their cage just like those trapped in hate and fear based religions.
Asking someone to provide evidence for their claims is not being caustic. Theists just think it's caustic because they aren't used to having their claims challenged. It's called Christian privilege.
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
You really haven't let go of the fear of the volcano god of your ancestors, you have just buried it with a denial of any facts that might rattle your cage.
Umm...yes I have. I fear gods as much as I fear marmapoodles.

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Denying something that there is no evidence for, is a completely reasonable stance.
<quoted text>
Asking someone to provide evidence for their claims is not being caustic. Theists just think it's caustic because they aren't used to having their claims challenged. It's called Christian privilege.
<quoted text>
Umm...yes I have. I fear gods as much as I fear marmapoodles.
excuse me, but the original comment was not a request for clarification nor was it a request for proof of anything I said. It was simply this:

"A lot of words for saying that you just make things up as you go. "

So perhaps you should get in line behind the other bigots. Perhaps I will get back to you but probably not.

"Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, defined by Merriam-Webster as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
excuse me, but the original comment was not a request for clarification nor was it a request for proof of anything I said. It was simply this:
So perhaps you should get in line behind the other bigots. Perhaps I will get back to you but probably not.
"Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, defined by Merriam-Webster as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices"
Lol!
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheism

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your whole post was a strawman argument against atheists. I'm sorry but neither you nor theists get to define atheists. I merely set your record straight.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

The clergy project is full of similar stories about how often the preacher at the front of the church doesn't believe what he is saying.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
well I see you don't waste words when you engage in attempting to put people down who express something you can't accept.
I said what I said, I used the words I used, to point out something I have confirmed for myself that you can't yet accept.
There are honest atheists who admit they face a mystery when contemplating existence and retain an open mind when approaching what is.
Our awareness of what is is slowly getting clearer. And a form of holographic consciousness does appear to be the foundation of existence:
http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/overview....
The more we can observe the universe around us without the blinders of fear given us by our religious heritage the more we can feel like Albert Einstein did who said :
"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest-a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty."
But those hiding behind denial of a reality they were taught to fear won't see it because they are afraid to look.
It is understandable that you hate false religions based on fear and hate with a foundation of primitive myths.
But hate is simply fear acting out. Meeting hate with hate is not going to work for you.
What are you afraid of?
Here is another quote from Albert Einstein:
"The man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life."
You can be an atheist, KittenKoder , and still have respect for those who are experiencing the same reality that you are in different ways. And leaving yourself open to the mystery can help you solve it.
There are religious bigots of all kinds, even some atheists!
Don't be a bigot! It limits your options.
I, myself am an atheist in the sense that I don't study theology nor accept a god that can be described. But I don't let it blind me to the awesome mystery of what is!
If you don't like your delusion analyzed and exposed, you are part of the wrong species.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••