Can Atheists talk about anything other than "God"?

Posted in the Atheism Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 262 Comments Last updated Aug 20, 2013
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

I find it strange that the most prevailing topic in the atheist threads are about God and Jesus.
Can anyone tell me why?
I mean, if you don't believe in God then why spend so much time talking about him?
Now if this discussion goes to a subject other than religion that would be amazing. As long as it doesn't degenerate into name calling and stupidity.

“NE TE CONFUNDANT ILLEGITIMI”

Since: Oct 08

There is only reality

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
I find it strange that the most prevailing topic in the atheist threads are about God and Jesus. Can anyone tell me why?
Most of the threads in the Atheist forum have been started by Christians. Just look at the number of titles which attempt to vilify atheists.
Lil Ticked wrote:
I mean, if you don't believe in God then why spend so much time talking about him?
I think the God concept is extremely funny and take the opportunity to laugh at it whenever possible. I guess other atheists will have different viewpoints.
Lil Ticked wrote:
Now if this discussion goes to a subject other than religion that would be amazing.
How about Evolution, or Cosmology, or Abiogenesis?
Lil Ticked wrote:
As long as it doesn't degenerate into name calling and stupidity.
On predominantly atheist threads this does not happen.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
I find it strange that the most prevailing topic in the atheist threads are about God and Jesus.
Can anyone tell me why?
because no faith is the only thing atheists have in common

there is no doctrine, dogma, rituals or heirarchy to atheism

so, basically, any thread in any forum on this site is actually an atheist thread

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

I agree with Open Palm's response, would add that most of us aren't concerned with "god" or "Jesus" as much as we're concerned with their dogmatic followers that wish to impose their beliefs on others and have their superstitions influence government and education.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Headhunter 300M wrote:
I agree with Open Palm's response, would add that most of us aren't concerned with "god" or "Jesus" as much as we're concerned with their dogmatic followers that wish to impose their beliefs on others and have their superstitions influence government and education.
I agree with Open Palm as the primary reason

mine was just an additional point

Since: Oct 07

Bawlmer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Open Palm wrote:
<quoted text>
On predominantly atheist threads this does not happen.
Not until the theists show up and start spewing their bile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

nina wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with Open Palm as the primary reason
mine was just an additional point
I didn't mean to suggest that I disagreed with you, nina. I don't.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Judged:

Headhunter 300M wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't mean to suggest that I disagreed with you, nina. I don't.
I know - I justed wanted to be clear that mine was an additional point to Open Palm

not a contrary one

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Open Palm wrote:
<quoted text>

How about Evolution, or Cosmology, or Abiogenesis?
Anyone of those would be fine. I guess I am just drained from all of the religious debate. Not to mention gay marriage and racism. Just some nice, friendly debate about sciencey stuff or what ever would a decent change.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone of those would be fine. I guess I am just drained from all of the religious debate. Not to mention gay marriage and racism. Just some nice, friendly debate about sciencey stuff or what ever would a decent change.
Indeed LT. How about this to start with perhaps:http://www.newscientis t.com/channel/life/dn14094-bac teria-make-major-evolutionary- shift-in-the-lab.html

I consider this one of the best dicoveries in the past few years. Just my opinion though. Any thoughts? Anyone?

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed LT. How about this to start with perhaps:http://www.newscientis t.com/channel/life/dn14094-bac teria-make-major-evolutionary- shift-in-the-lab.html
I consider this one of the best dicoveries in the past few years. Just my opinion though. Any thoughts? Anyone?
Cool... I am going to have to show that to my Father-in-law, He will flip his wig. Not that he knows what citrate is or anything like that.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Cool... I am going to have to show that to my Father-in-law, He will flip his wig. Not that he knows what citrate is or anything like that.
LOL! Found this on Pharyngula. There is a cool story behind it, about how a creationist tried to get access to the data and the biologists who discovered it turned him down(thats just kinda the gist). Awesome read. If you get the chance I highly suggest checking it out.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

the cover of the new National Geographic about neanderthals was really interesting

I wasn't expecting that they had a gene for red hair and freckles too

a different gene than what we have

but very cool

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Judged:

nina wrote:
the cover of the new National Geographic about neanderthals was really interesting
I wasn't expecting that they had a gene for red hair and freckles too
a different gene than what we have
but very cool
Provide links woman I am too lazy to search for these things myself.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/

there's a cool looking article about actually making Star Trek type shields!
bill tomlinson

Frazier Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

There are a lot of important topics that involve the cultural tension between theism and atheism. But there is a tension and an important one for an atheist, because it can cause him social grief. For instance. Can an atheist be moral? Does it make sense? Can he be anything other than a relativist? I have an interest in these questions and wrote a book addressing them. Please, if you would like, check out "The Moral Atheist" available at amazon and barnesandnoble among other places.
The book has a defensive thesis and is not a rant. If an atheist would like to know how to defend himself from attacks on his character, this is a place to start.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

nina wrote:
http://www.nationalgeographic. com/
there's a cool looking article about actually making Star Trek type shields!
Thanks my fingers were getting tired trying to find it for myself.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

Judged:

bill tomlinson wrote:
There are a lot of important topics that involve the cultural tension between theism and atheism. But there is a tension and an important one for an atheist, because it can cause him social grief. For instance. Can an atheist be moral? Does it make sense? Can he be anything other than a relativist? I have an interest in these questions and wrote a book addressing them. Please, if you would like, check out "The Moral Atheist" available at amazon and barnesandnoble among other places.
The book has a defensive thesis and is not a rant. If an atheist would like to know how to defend himself from attacks on his character, this is a place to start.
See that is my problem. WHY does an atheist need to defend his/her character. Why can't the religious accept them for who they are as people? I consider myself religious (for the most part) and I have absolutely nothing against people having beliefs different than mine or none at all. I think that the best way I can describe myself is a modereate, independant, christian, humanitarian. But, since you suggested it I will check out your book. If it promotes division and/or insiinuates that people that have a belief system are ignorant, well then I am gonna come back here and give you a serious talking to.
:)
bill tomlinson

Frazier Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2008

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>See that is my problem. WHY does an atheist need to defend his/her character. Why can't the religious accept them for who they are as people? I consider myself religious (for the most part) and I have absolutely nothing against people having beliefs different than mine or none at all. I think that the best way I can describe myself is a modereate, independant, christian, humanitarian. But, since you suggested it I will check out your book. If it promotes division and/or insiinuates that people that have a belief system are ignorant, well then I am gonna come back here and give you a serious talking to.
:)
Good. That's what I would deserve. I don't argue that the religious are ignorant. It is clear that many theists have reflected well upon their position. However, it is not possible to defend the atheist against religious person's arguments without showing the flaws in some of their arguments. I recently heard that us atheists are the most hated bunch in the US, hated more than even gays. People would rather have a gay president than an atheist. Maybe that's the source of much of the anger we often see from atheists. They know they are unjustifiably hated and just want to be loved.:-)
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2008

bill tomlinson wrote:
<quoted text>
...People would rather have a gay president than an atheist....:-)
on one discussion forum I was having with a very religious gal

she actually plainly admitted that she would vote for a

Born again, black lesbian

over a straight white male atheist

for president

yes, I think that atheists are in line with or after gays and lesbians

while atheists are staring from a closer equality in terms of perceived social value

there are rights issues, like freedom from religion, to be hashed out

like the pledge and the money and other matters

the LGBT and athiest community has a lot of overlap of issues and people

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min Buck Crick 224,079
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Charchar king 192
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr religionisillness 834
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr religionisillness 361
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Magyar 101 21,383
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 8 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 8 hr Patrick 3
•••
•••