Atheists can and do feel wonder and awe

Oct 24, 2013 Full story: Iol.co.za 6

In one sense Oprah Winfrey was right when she lectured the humanist swimmer Diana Nyad about the inconsistency of the outlook of atheism with a sense of awe.

Full Story
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#1 Oct 24, 2013
Where do people get this tripe?...
Quote article:“But what drives them away from wonder is not their atheism but their inability to engage with uncertainty. In that respect they are surprisingly similar to those who embrace religious dogma to spare themselves the responsibility of engaging with the mysteries that confront us in everyday life.”

Interestingly, the author makes exactly the same mistake as our Oprah. I am not “driven away from wonder” at all. There is no sound reason to suppose my capacity for wonder is less than any religionist or spiritualist. My non-belief in the supernatural and my disinterest in the spiritual aren’t due to any inability of any kind. They involve no lack of anything.

I could argue (perhaps with more logic than the author) that people display an “inability to engage with uncertainty” when they bang-on about their religion or spirituality. Or I could make an assumption too, such as they can’t deal with reality.(I don’t make either assumption, nor either accusation).

One needs to be careful not to denegrate others simply due to unwarranted assumptions about them.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2 Oct 24, 2013
As an atheist I am in awe over American Christians being against healthcare for sick babies, against life saving vaccines.

Definition of AWE

1. dread, terror
2. the power to inspire dread
Smell the Coffee

Twinsburg, OH

#3 Oct 24, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
As an atheist I am in awe over American Christians being against healthcare for sick babies, against life saving vaccines.
Definition of AWE
1. dread, terror
Yep! The American Christians are against abortion, but they could care less whether babies live or die after they are born. The hypocrites mainly consist of fundie republicans.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#4 Oct 24, 2013
Smell the Coffee wrote:
<quoted text>Yep! The American Christians are against abortion, but they could care less whether babies live or die after they are born. The hypocrites mainly consist of fundie republicans.
Specifically CHRISTIAN fundie Republicans. I wouldn't lump all fundamentalists together. Most Jews are democrats. The liberal soul shall be made fat.(prosperous) Proverbs 11:25.
Ocean56

AOL

#5 Oct 25, 2013
Smell the Coffee wrote:
Yep! The American Christians are against abortion, but they could care less whether babies live or die after they are born. The hypocrites mainly consist of fundie republicans.
Agreed. Some of these American "Christians" are against the reliable contraception that PREVENTS unwanted pregnancy as well as abortion.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#6 Oct 27, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
Definition of AWE
1. dread, terror
I totally agree with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min waaasssuuup 230,975
Heaven 1 hr _Bad Company 43
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Carchar king 1,104
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 6 hr fadu singh 23,043
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 13 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 17 hr Uncle Sam 43
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,391

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE