Atheism: An Irrational Faith

Jan 30, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: GhanaWeb

Let me point out from the outset that I used to be an atheist, and what I mean by that is that I used to believe that there was no God, that there was no afterlife, that there was no such thing as absolute morality, that religion was hogwash used to enslave the weak and naA ve, that everything was a product of chance and that we were all here for ... (more)

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of111
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't say he was never a atheist just not a thinking one, I suspect his investigation to his beliefs began with one apologist ended with the same apologist and with nothing but the apologist in between, yes not even his (the author) own thoughts was included.
That I could agree with.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Feb 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

underneath my avatar are the words "“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

The definition of Mystic is :

" conscious awareness of an ultimate reality, divinity, spiritual truth, or God through direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight"

Now to have this experience is to confirm the reality of the consciousness that is our foundation in being.

(there are other definitions of mysticism that are not true but are attempts by religions that teach of a god that can be described in words (an anthropomorphism ) that conflicts with the mystical experience.)

Now the definition of theist is one who believes in a specific deity defined by a given religious system based on so-called revelation. In other words second hand belief in unsubstantiated claims made long ago.

Now logically an atheist would be the inverse of a theist.

This is why I consider myself an atheist. I do not believe in a god that depends on the current reinterpretation of ancient scriptures as prophecies proving the existence of the god of the one trying to prove it's existence by claims of proof based on thesw ancients who were thought to be prophets.

But now we face an apparent contradiction. I am an atheist, but I am also a mystic.

The key word in the definition given at the start of my post is "or". The mystical experience reveals something amazing, but to call it "god" is to attempt to define that which is not able to be defined in the limited language of humanity.

Religion is based on man's description of that which can not be described. This is why we have so many religions with so many different understandings (misunderstandings?) of the nature of reality.

True spirituality is based on the mystical experience. It is the acquisition of experiential knowledge.

An ancient mystic summed it up nicely in a book called the Tao Te Ching:

"He who says does not know, and he who knows does not say"

All of us are capable of having the mystical experience and more and more of us are actually doing so.

John Lennon said "god is a concept by which we measure our pain"

But LOVE is a form of experiential knowledge taken for granted by small children who have not yet learned to speak. It shows clearly in their belly laughs.

The mystical experience shows us an infinite joy that can not be described, but only experienced.

The historical Jesus was a simple mystic who summed it up well in stating that GOD is LOVE.

LOVE is a good word to sum up the reality of the consciousness that science is just now beginning to accept as the foundation of what is.

(the historical Jesus shares nothing with the Mithra based version of Christianity forced on the Roman public in an vain attempt to hold the Roman empire together )

So for me, Atheism has nothing to do with faith, it's all about an experience that shatters all religion as it shows me who I am.

As a mystical atheist this short sentence with which I close most of my posts with states in words as best as can be done what I have confirmed for myself to be true and what I urge others to confirm for themselves also:

GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Feb 3, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
underneath my avatar are the words "“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”
The definition of Mystic is :
" conscious awareness of an ultimate reality, divinity, spiritual truth, or God through direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight"
Now to have this experience is to confirm the reality of the consciousness that is our foundation in being.
(there are other definitions of mysticism that are not true but are attempts by religions that teach of a god that can be described in words (an anthropomorphism ) that conflicts with the mystical experience.)
Now the definition of theist is one who believes in a specific deity defined by a given religious system based on so-called revelation. In other words second hand belief in unsubstantiated claims made long ago.
Now logically an atheist would be the inverse of a theist.
This is why I consider myself an atheist. I do not believe in a god that depends on the current reinterpretation of ancient scriptures as prophecies proving the existence of the god of the one trying to prove it's existence by claims of proof based on thesw ancients who were thought to be prophets.
But now we face an apparent contradiction. I am an atheist, but I am also a mystic.
The key word in the definition given at the start of my post is "or". The mystical experience reveals something amazing, but to call it "god" is to attempt to define that which is not able to be defined in the limited language of humanity.
Religion is based on man's description of that which can not be described. This is why we have so many religions with so many different understandings (misunderstandings?) of the nature of reality.
True spirituality is based on the mystical experience. It is the acquisition of experiential knowledge.
An ancient mystic summed it up nicely in a book called the Tao Te Ching:
"He who says does not know, and he who knows does not say"
All of us are capable of having the mystical experience and more and more of us are actually doing so.
John Lennon said "god is a concept by which we measure our pain"
But LOVE is a form of experiential knowledge taken for granted by small children who have not yet learned to speak. It shows clearly in their belly laughs.
The mystical experience shows us an infinite joy that can not be described, but only experienced.
The historical Jesus was a simple mystic who summed it up well in stating that GOD is LOVE.
LOVE is a good word to sum up the reality of the consciousness that science is just now beginning to accept as the foundation of what is.
(the historical Jesus shares nothing with the Mithra based version of Christianity forced on the Roman public in an vain attempt to hold the Roman empire together )
So for me, Atheism has nothing to do with faith, it's all about an experience that shatters all religion as it shows me who I am.
As a mystical atheist this short sentence with which I close most of my posts with states in words as best as can be done what I have confirmed for myself to be true and what I urge others to confirm for themselves also:
GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!
You need to prove your god instead of trying to fleece us with this philosophical poetry bullsh*t. WE're not 5 years old you moron.
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Feb 3, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Unlike you, most Aussies have a great sense of humour, and even laugh along with the Barmy Army.

www.youtube.com/watch...

You're rather sad.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Australia is a current prison colony?
Wow! I should read the papers more often.
Listen up slapnut (and I think you would be hard pressed to do that) the convicts were primarily anglo, which I am not. I have no relation to them nor any descendence. You probably think we all look like Paul Hogan which shows what a flaccid, drippydick cuckold ignoramus you are.
A bloodline of criminals?
So you believe in eugenics?
When Hitler spouted such things you claim he did this because he was a christian (which he wasnt), facts are mincer that Hitler simply took the idea from you maltheist marxists.
So yes.....
Atheism = Eugenics
So whats the 'master race' according to atheism?
Coalburners like ChristineM and toilet spiders like you?
You make me sick
Poof

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Feb 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to prove your god instead of trying to fleece us with this philosophical poetry bullsh*t. WE're not 5 years old you moron.
I do not need to prove anything. I have posted what I did for those who might find it interesting enough to merit further discussion.

You did not even find it interesting enough to read all the way through but yet you mindlessly attacked it anyway.

If you did even a meager amount of research you would find much scientific evidence to support what I said.

But then, you don't even know what I said, do you Bunky?

And your sentence "WE're not 5 years old you moron." is a form of ad hominem attack used by dishonest people such as yourself who find themselves intellectually challenged.

I won't be replying to any more of your rants, child. I was just pointing out the insanity of your attempted attack on the credibility of my person as a substitute for the proof of any argument you might have made.

If you can't be honest in your disagreements with what others post and politely present your arguments, don't expect anything but meaningless pats on the back from other intellectually challenged blind faith atheists like yourself.

I was tempted to just to give you a peanut, a dim light bulb, and mean face, but than I felt that considering the immaturity revealed by your rant, perhaps a wake up call could occur if you realized your insanity. Until this happens you will not profit from learning to be intellectually honest.

I won't be pursuing this thread any longer. You have answered the question "Atheism: An Irrational Faith" for me. at least in reference to yourself and those who agree with you.

True Atheism is not about blind faith, that is the problem with religion today, True Atheism is about accurate knowledge.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Feb 4, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not need to prove anything. I have posted what I did for those who might find it interesting enough to merit further discussion.
You did not even find it interesting enough to read all the way through but yet you mindlessly attacked it anyway.
If you did even a meager amount of research you would find much scientific evidence to support what I said.
But then, you don't even know what I said, do you Bunky?
And your sentence "WE're not 5 years old you moron." is a form of ad hominem attack used by dishonest people such as yourself who find themselves intellectually challenged.
I won't be replying to any more of your rants, child. I was just pointing out the insanity of your attempted attack on the credibility of my person as a substitute for the proof of any argument you might have made.
If you can't be honest in your disagreements with what others post and politely present your arguments, don't expect anything but meaningless pats on the back from other intellectually challenged blind faith atheists like yourself.
I was tempted to just to give you a peanut, a dim light bulb, and mean face, but than I felt that considering the immaturity revealed by your rant, perhaps a wake up call could occur if you realized your insanity. Until this happens you will not profit from learning to be intellectually honest.
I won't be pursuing this thread any longer. You have answered the question "Atheism: An Irrational Faith" for me. at least in reference to yourself and those who agree with you.
True Atheism is not about blind faith, that is the problem with religion today, True Atheism is about accurate knowledge.
More rambling philosophical meaningless bullsh*t. I mean seriously you are way up your own ar$e.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Feb 4, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

"True spirituality is based on the mystical experience. It is the acquisition of experiential knowledge."

Complete and utter bullsh*t. Just because you are atheist does not mean every atheist thinks like you.

You're a philosophical rambler who has a lazy mind.
Siro

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Feb 4, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

-Skeptic- wrote:
"True spirituality is based on the mystical experience. It is the acquisition of experiential knowledge."
Complete and utter bullsh*t. Just because you are atheist does not mean every atheist thinks like you.
You're a philosophical rambler who has a lazy mind.
So Confucious and Buddha were a couple of lazy c*nts with nothing worthwhile to say as well.
Of course they didnt compared with a mangod like you, now lets all hold hands praise marxism and sing 'the internationale'!
Thinking wrote:
Unlike you, most Aussies have a great sense of humour, and even laugh along with the Barmy Army.
www.youtube.com/watch...
You're rather sad.
<quoted text>
As if anyone gives a crap about anything you fart out

Poof enabler

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Feb 4, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
So Confucious and Buddha were a couple of lazy c*nts with nothing worthwhile to say as well.
....
Yes.
Thinking

Newbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Feb 4, 2013
 

Judged:

2

So you don't like your fellow Australians having a good sense of humour?
You'd rather they were bitter and messed up like you? How sad you are.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
So Confucious and Buddha were a couple of lazy c*nts with nothing worthwhile to say as well.
Of course they didnt compared with a mangod like you, now lets all hold hands praise marxism and sing 'the internationale'!
<quoted text>
As if anyone gives a crap about anything you fart out
Poof enabler
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Feb 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Thinking wrote:
So you don't like your fellow Australians having a good sense of humour?
You'd rather they were bitter and messed up like you? How sad you are.
<quoted text>
Whats the barmy army got to do with anything?
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Feb 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

You am a twart.[sic]
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats the barmy army got to do with anything?

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He's more intelligent than you, criminal. Want to know how you're a criminal? Australia is a prison colony, your family, a bloodline of criminals, all of them. I would wager it's in the blood.
Hey, hey, hey!

I resent that! Sure my grandfather was sent out here for stealing a loaf of bread. But that hardly means it's in the blood line.

Sure all our heros are outlaws and we claimed Phar Lap as our own even though he was a NZ bred horse. More recently there the former member of parliment arrested 150 fraud charges, Schepelle Corby and now a potential link to organised crime in elite Australian sport.

That hardly makes us all criminals.

;)

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats the barmy army got to do with anything?
First of all I have a felling they'd have a song for you while you're here.

I have a feeling it'd start something like this:

All alone, all alone, all alone.
All alone, all alone, all alooone.

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

^ *Feeling
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Feb 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Luke1981 wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I have a felling they'd have a song for you while you're here.
I have a feeling it'd start something like this:
All alone, all alone, all alone.
All alone, all alone, all alooone.
Youre as funny as an orphanage on fire, but not as funny as KittenKoder claiming to be a woman.

Throw another shrimp on the barbie you halfwit
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Feb 7, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Siro Jong Il?

www.youtube.com/watch...
Luke1981 wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I have a felling they'd have a song for you while you're here.
I have a feeling it'd start something like this:
All alone, all alone, all alone.
All alone, all alone, all alooone.

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Feb 7, 2013
 
Thinking wrote:
Siro Jong Il?
www.youtube.com/watch...
<quoted text>
Yes, I doubt however that Siro would have the mental capacity to orgarnise 911 time 1 million.:)
NoLimitSoldier

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Feb 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Youre as funny as an orphanage on fire, but not as funny as KittenKoder claiming to be a woman.
Throw another shrimp on the barbie you halfwit
I can't decide if this guy is awesome or retarded??? Amusing to some degree to say the least but then again I'm an asshole by nature so I laugh at the misfortions of others, both his for being him and yhe people he's mocking and insulting because it's funny to me... I'd say he's awesome but he is on the side of the believers and anyone with a rational mind knows the bible is just a plagarized version of the story og Gilgameth and all the "characters" in it including god and Jesus are just like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and a good cop...all just myths, legends and fairytales. Honestly, there is more proof of UFO's and Bigfoot than there is of god...smart people don't believe in god or government, they believe in death and taxes!
NoLimitSoldier

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Feb 7, 2013
 
But yeah, it's true...you can't trust anyone from Australia, the men are all crooked rednecks with an accent and the women all dirty wh@res that have no ethical boundaries. I spent a month there and while the scenery was nice I found the people rather uneducated, unclassy, uninformed and cheap drunks to boot! I'd honestly say most American people have more class, better ethics and can handle their booze better but that really doesn't say alot either...if it weren't for the Netherlands, Japan, certain parts of Canada and the better half of Europe this world would be nothing more than a real life bad B-movie that should have never made production!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of111
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••