Atheist Siddaramaiah and God's changing role in politics

May 12, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Rediff.com

Siddaramaiah's atheism may not have been noteworthy if the news of his election on Friday as the next chief minister of Karnataka had not been drowned out by footage on television channels of Pawan Kumar Bansal [ Bansal quit as the railways minister hours later.

Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated May 14, 2013

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#1 May 13, 2013
This is .... awkward. India has managed to pass the US in religious tolerance. What's next? It would be a real slap in the face for us if Iran did so too. Come on USA, can't you do better than India at least?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#2 May 13, 2013
Even I identify with this guy...
http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/unbeliev...
quote,
Mohamed says he has been living a secret life, hiding his atheism from his parents since the age of 19, pretending to fast and pray when he’s called to.
“I put my head down and act the way they do. I know they’ll never understand,” he explains in a somber tone."
Unquote.
Except hiding my disbelief started much younger - if there are no pixies or Santa Claus, what's the evidence for a god? Even then, I felt it necessary to play along to 'keep the peace'. I was aware that religionists wouldn't or couldn't understand.

I see religion as the last bastion of superstition and perhaps we're seeing the start of a process of liberation from it.

Humans have only existed for a few million years and modern man for a few hundred. The Internet and 24/7 News will spread ideas fast and humanity will ultimately reject religious superstitions and tribalism. In a few millennia, I suspect mankind will view this time as the period when humans abandoned superstitions altogether,(and the Islamism, Zionism, Creationism, sectarianism, suicide attacks, etc they engender).

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3 May 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
This is .... awkward. India has managed to pass the US in religious tolerance. What's next? It would be a real slap in the face for us if Iran did so too. Come on USA, can't you do better than India at least?
It is awkward.

The US is rapidly falling behind in science, research and other areas.

I blame the boat-anchor that is religion, myself.

But the super-selfish attitude of certain politicians isn't helping either...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Thinking 226,571
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Dak-Original 21,530
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 hr Thinking 5,921
The Ultimate Evidence of God 11 hr James 68
The myth of the angry atheist 23 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? Mon Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) Mon Patrick 13
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••