Atheists Cannot be Moral

Since: Dec 10

Fogelsville, PA

#61 Mar 29, 2013
Brother Edward wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand why Jesus was crucified. And I don't follow the Holy Bible. The Veridican canon consists of one book: The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ.
<quoted text>
So you think morality is just consequences for actions. Fine. That's an atheist mentality, but that's not morality. Morality is knowing right from wrong, even when there is no consequence. So if you kidnap a child and murder it and don't get caught, or if the child is of no consequence to anyone, you're still in the wrong.
Hold on...I have to put on some Christian music...okay, go ahead, you were saying...
<quoted text>
Slavery works. It would have kept working, as well. There was no evolutionary reason, no Biblical reason, no economic or political reason why it should ever have ended. It was not good for society in any way that it ended.
I think slavery is wrong. And so did many of my fellow Californians and Coloradans during the Civil War (I'm a transplant to Louisiana). So, why should it have ever ended? On what basis?
If morality is not based on authority, and only on negative evolutionary consequences, then I should be able to do anything that won't affect my genetic material being spread. Since I already have three grandsons, I could basically do anything I wanted, couldn't I?
<quoted text>
Audrey Assad just sang this verse on my iTunes (speaking of God):
[I]You live in a million places
You're fingerprints can be seen on a million faces[/I]
In two lines, she gives me every reason in the world to be good. In all your lines all I see is an atheist desperately trying to make the cold mechanism of evolution account for morality, too.
Any regrets?
In other words, your religion is just like the Mormons in so much that they used the ideas in another religion, changed them around to suit thier own needs, and claimed them as thier own.

How unoriginal.

As for slavery. Jesus condoned slavery. So much for HIS morality. Slavery does not work as well as you may think. Study history, and you'll see why. Also, one may resist slavery on a completly secular basis. For example, the best way to keep from becomeing a slave in the future is to abolish all slavery. Whew!! That was a tough one wasn't it?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#62 Mar 29, 2013
The serpent was right wrote:
I see brother Ed failed to answer my post.
I guess he is no different from all the other theists, and runs away from the tough ones. LOL!! How completly typical of him. Nothing new or special with him.
All the popular girls act like that.

Since: Aug 12

Adana, Turkey

#63 Mar 29, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Imagine doing the right thing, just because it's the right thing. With no possible celestial reward, just do the right thing. That how we atheist roll. We do right, because it's the right way to be.
I won't smack your child, I won't steal from your granny, I won't lie about your mother or cheat your brother. And no god is there to tally my acts into any book, and I will never have to say, I am sorry, forgive me.
I will give so simple examples.

Person 1 : Believe in god , belonging to a religion . Follow the laws and rules , believes that these rules are correctly , thinks on this rules and cannot find any errors .

Person 2 : Not sure there is a god , doesnt follow any religion . Makes its own rules , doesnt care so much god is exist or not .

Person 3 : Doesnt believe in god , doesnt follow any religion . Makes its own rules . Does what he/she likes . Says I dont need a god to find the right things .

Person 4 : Believe in god , belonging to a religion , but doesnt like the rules of religion and still wants to live like , sometimes remembers god and thinks on some of the things , then forgets again and continues to live as wish .

----------

So you believe in god or not . People lives as they wish .

Its name is faith , wouldnt be "faith" if the existence of god is so clear . Everyone have a brain and is free to their own decisions as long as doesnt harm anyone .

Everyone has a conscience , you dont need a book to know that kicking a dog is a bad thing , a religions doesnt say go out and kick a dog until to death. But! you like to drink alcohol and you say I dont think its a bad thing , having drunk and laugh so much .Scientists announced that alcohol is beneficial but it have more harm than benefit of it. My religion said 2000 years ago "Drinking alcohol is beneficial , but there is more harm than benefit of it"

Here we go slowly leave each other . These examples can be increased , sorry I have to go .

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#64 Mar 29, 2013
Brother Edward wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I'm pretty popular in forums (not in a good way), and I get a lot of responses to my posts. I skim them very quickly. I was about to address your post, but then you decided to play the "insult" card--atheists always do. They can't help themselves. So, I am ignoring you. I mean, I'm responding now to let you know the ground rules, but if you think you can insult me into responding to you in the future, think again.:)
You do not get to set any ground rules here.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#65 Mar 29, 2013
B_Girl_Turco wrote:
<quoted text>
I will give so simple examples.
Person 1 : Believe in god , belonging to a religion . Follow the laws and rules , believes that these rules are correctly , thinks on this rules and cannot find any errors .
Person 2 : Not sure there is a god , doesnt follow any religion . Makes its own rules , doesnt care so much god is exist or not .
Person 3 : Doesnt believe in god , doesnt follow any religion . Makes its own rules . Does what he/she likes . Says I dont need a god to find the right things .
Person 4 : Believe in god , belonging to a religion , but doesnt like the rules of religion and still wants to live like , sometimes remembers god and thinks on some of the things , then forgets again and continues to live as wish .
----------
So you believe in god or not . People lives as they wish .
Its name is faith , wouldnt be "faith" if the existence of god is so clear . Everyone have a brain and is free to their own decisions as long as doesnt harm anyone .
Everyone has a conscience , you dont need a book to know that kicking a dog is a bad thing , a religions doesnt say go out and kick a dog until to death. But! you like to drink alcohol and you say I dont think its a bad thing , having drunk and laugh so much .Scientists announced that alcohol is beneficial but it have more harm than benefit of it. My religion said 2000 years ago "Drinking alcohol is beneficial , but there is more harm than benefit of it"
Here we go slowly leave each other . These examples can be increased , sorry I have to go .
Your person 3 is flawed in that you falling into Myth #6:

6) "Atheists don’t have a moral code. Atheist are routinely asked how people will know not to rape and murder without religion telling them not to do it, especially a religion that backs up the orders with threats of hell. Believers, listen to me carefully when I say this: When you use this argument, you terrify atheists. We hear you saying that the only thing standing between you and Ted Bundy is a flimsy belief in a supernatural being made up by pre-literate people trying to figure out where the rain came from. This is not very reassuring if you’re trying to argue from a position of moral superiority."

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#66 Mar 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words your beliefs are based on documents that were copied, forged and doctored by a bunch of dark age Catholics and their theological gerrymandering.
Yep, and they follow only 4 of the 66 books in the modern-day buybull. Since they leave out original sin, why the need for any salvation, the big sacrifice, and fulfilling all those supposed prophecies, etc? However, Thomas Jefferson probably have been impressed with their picking and choosing.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#67 Mar 29, 2013
The serpent was right wrote:
I see brother Ed failed to answer my post.
I guess he is no different from all the other theists, and runs away from the tough ones. LOL!! How completly typical of him. Nothing new or special with him.
After a little internet search it appears he just simply gets banned in lots of forums. And, it's not just at atheism forums. Religious ones consider his cult heretical. Even his own kind at christianforums disagreed with him and banned him.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Threa...

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#68 Mar 29, 2013
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
After a little internet search it appears he just simply gets banned in lots of forums. And, it's not just at atheism forums. Religious ones consider his cult heretical. Even his own kind at christianforums disagreed with him and banned him.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Threa...
Lol

Christians aren't exactly noted for their tolerance.

It's ironic that he seeks (and gets) tolerance on an atheist board.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#69 Mar 29, 2013
Brother Edward wrote:
Atheists cannot be moral, if atheism is true. If atheism is true, no one can be moral. There is no foundation for any "right" or "wrong" statement if atheism is true. If atheism is true, the kidnapping and murder of a child is as morally neutral as helping an old lady take out her garbage.

http://veridican.org
I'm doing it wrong.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#70 Mar 29, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. We don't base our morality on appeasing a fictional deity. We base our morality on valuing humans. Anyway, that is the essential aspect of humanism: that human needs, concerns, and goals are the subject of moral questions.
I might add that atheism and humanism are not interdependent.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#71 Mar 29, 2013
Brother Edward wrote:
<quoted text>Fictional deity-schpictional deity. This isn't about a deity. This is about atheism. First, I'm not saying atheists are immoral, per se. But that's because atheism is not true. If it were true, then we would be merely matter in the universe responding to stimuli--nothing could be judged right or wrong. There would be no moral difference between blowing up a city or taking care of an Alzheimer's patient.

How can you dispute that?

http://veridican.org
Common sense, which you are seriously lacking, disputes that.

Everyday experience disputes that.

The prison population disputes that.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#72 Mar 29, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>I guess you have no understanding of life and humanity.
Or the bible, if that's the deity he's referencing.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#73 Mar 29, 2013
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong! Atheists consider doing harm to others like murder and kidnapping is simply wrong. To say that Atheists cannot be moral is an out right lie. Now look at your buybull and we find lots of murder and mayhem which makes your book and foundation very immoral.
I don't think you can make that statement with regard to atheists in particular, since atheism ONLY concerns lack of belief in any deities.

That statement better reflects him humanists, since humanism IS a moral philosophy.

Even secular humanists could be religious or believe in some god. It would just not be any god so far described.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#74 Mar 29, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you can make that statement with regard to atheists in particular, since atheism ONLY concerns lack of belief in any deities.
That statement better reflects him humanists, since humanism IS a moral philosophy.
Even secular humanists could be religious or believe in some god. It would just not be any god so far described.
You are correct

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#75 Mar 29, 2013
B_Girl_Turco wrote:
<quoted text>I know many religious people who are moral.
I dont know any atheist or jew who is moral.
Yes you do.

Unless you are a hermit.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#76 Mar 29, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>Then you live in a vacuum.

There are many people that cannot and will not admit their belief or lack of due to people of hatred in the world of religious belief. Your comments are on the edge of hate and an un-humanistic attitude.

One cannot take another seriously if they are devoid of human understanding and caring of others if they do not believe, look, think, or act as they do.

If you are afraid to look for truth and love then you will never understand life.

As for your comments they are in my view very amoral.
Not just amoral.

Immoral.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#77 Mar 29, 2013
B_Girl_Turco wrote:
<quoted text>I told my own opinion and the observations about the issue , didnt offend anyone , didnt say any bad word.

You said a lot of things about me based on your own preconceptions and you decided about my personalty . That's what a said at the first two message.
You offended me.

I am atheist.

I have, apparently, better moral standards than you.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#78 Mar 29, 2013
B_Girl_Turco wrote:
<quoted text>Religions are guidance if you believe in any religions , shows the truth and wrongs and allows you to think on .

if you dont believe any religion , dont care anything , set your own rules and these rules are true for you , even if wrong for others .

Legal systems shape people's lifes. There is a punishment that you do theft , and your religion says that theft is a bad thing and we have a punishment for them. The same thing . A warning to the people . Legal system doesnt give you a reward because you'r a good person , but religions promise you for rewards , a kind of encourages .
Promises you a reward after you die.

No guarantees. Just empty promises.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#79 Mar 29, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Imagine doing the right thing, just because it's the right thing. With no possible celestial reward, just do the right thing. That how we atheist roll. We do right, because it's the right way to be.
I won't smack your child, I won't steal from your granny, I won't lie about your mother or cheat your brother. And no god is there to tally my acts into any book, and I will never have to say, I am sorry, forgive me.
There IS someone who watches my every move, judges my every action, holds me accountable for every decision, knows my every thought.

That someone is me.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#80 Mar 29, 2013
Brother Edward wrote:
<quoted text>You know, I'm pretty popular in forums (not in a good way), and I get a lot of responses to my posts. I skim them very quickly. I was about to address your post, but then you decided to play the "insult" card--atheists always do. They can't help themselves. So, I am ignoring you. I mean, I'm responding now to let you know the ground rules, but if you think you can insult me into responding to you in the future, think again.:)
But calling atheists immoral is not insulting, right?

Best remove the plank from your eye.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Dogen 83,150
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 hr Dogen 2,575
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web