Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 996)

Showing posts 19,901 - 19,920 of20,839
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
. How can a god exist uncreated?.
That could be a mystery that is not comprehensible to man.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists pretend that everything came from nowhere and is going back to nowhere.
Not a better proposition in my book.
The ONLY source you will find that makes those claims are religious creationists looking to divert scrutiny of their claims to the straw-man claims they make of their opposition. You know... liars for 'christ'

Continue to lie... it does nothing but support your opposition

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the chicken and the egg, isn't it?
You cannot tell me where your "uncreated, timeless, amorphous, nonliving, primordial substance" comes from, but at the same time you ask me to prove the existence of god.
At least I have an explanation, however feable it is. It MAY be a god?
By which I mean a superior form of intelligence, etc...
But you have none. So you are even more clueless!"!!
No... you do NOT have an 'explanation', you have an 'answer' that explains nothing and stifles further exploration.

Since: Dec 06

One of Paris nicest district

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
Atheists pretend that everything came from nowhere and is going back to nowhere.
Not a better proposition in my book.
Don't make yourself some trandiode's parrot who served that until you can drink no more.
Today's atheist figures that if the Universe was born from a burst of energy, then there were conditions for it.
Now mabey better is to investigate on these conditions than already invent a guilty one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
That is the ultimate non-answer I have depicted "God works in mysterious ways"
That can be a very good explanation for you, but the atheist may not be satisfayed with mysteries
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
the atheist may not be satisfayed with mysteries
They are living in the middle of a mystery!!

They don't know where everything comes from!!!
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>... liars for 'christ'
Have you noticed that I never ever mention Christ?

I don't believe in Christ. I am not Christian and I will never defend Christianity.

Christianity is a religion, and I am not interested in religion.

So what are you all about ?
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Today's atheist figures that if the Universe was born from a burst of energy, then there were conditions for it.
Now mabey better is to investigate on these conditions than already invent a guilty one
Well, you do that, you "investigate".

Several centuries of modern science hasn't yet come up with a satisfactory answer as where the universe comes from, how everything came about, etc... and until they do that to my satisfaction, allow me to think that maybe, just maybe there is the possibility of a superior intelligence out there responsible for everything.

I think it's Voltaire who said
"I cannot believe that this clockwork exists, but doesn't have a clockmaker".
He was notoriously anti-religious.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you noticed that I never ever mention Christ?
I don't believe in Christ. I am not Christian and I will never defend Christianity.
Christianity is a religion, and I am not interested in religion.
So what are you all about ?
Maybe it's my mistake... but you argue like a believer.
So tell me.... why should an idea (some god-like thing may possibly exist) that has no evidence in support of it be given any more weight/credence than the ramblings of a madman claiming to be the reincarnation of Napoleon?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Several centuries of modern science hasn't yet come up with a satisfactory answer as where the universe comes from, how everything came about, etc... and until they do that to my satisfaction, allow me to think that maybe, just maybe there is the possibility of a superior intelligence out there responsible for everything.
Are you going to use the "tornado in a junkyard assembling a 747" argument? LOL!

Sure... there just might be a 'superior intelligence' responsible everything... and it may be garden gnomes. Until actual evidence of that something become apparent, what's the point in giving it any more than a passing thought?

Thousands of years of human history... hundreds, if not thousands, of 'gods' believed in and worshiped. The current 'gods' have no more basis in fact than any of the thousands that have been thought up before.

Science is a process... small steps building on previous small steps leading to future small steps... sometime interspersed with giant steps.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
Not as much as you say, a close to the Freemasonry, freemasons always said that there was a Suprem Architect.
He was living in a time where astronomers thought that the planets motions were so regular and predictable. Now computer simulations show that our solar system planets' motions can go chaotic so that the clockmaker isn't so skilfull as Voltaire thought it was.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
They are living in the middle of a mystery!!
They don't know where everything comes from!!!
Funny you're on the trandiode mode,
and yes, we have no magic lamp to enlight mysteries,
Richardfs

Parramatta, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't know yet, please allow others to find the solution without prejudice.
Your so called solution is over 2000 years old. I think 2000 years of been wrong is long enough.
Richardfs

Parramatta, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should read from more modern scientists this is the 21st not 19th century. I think it is time for you to catch up.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

Nope. Sorry. It's your turn. You haven't answered my question. How can a god exist uncreated? Answer that, and we'll move on to the multiverse.
I can tell you now that there is no objection to a the existence of an uncreated, timeless, amorphous, nonliving, primordial substance - the multiverse - that isn't orders of magnitude more powerful against the existence of an uncreated, sentient, immortal, omnipotent, omniscient, infinite, and perfectly moral god. In fact, can you think of anything less likely to exist uncreated than a god? No, you can't. Even a race of gods is more likely to exist uncreated than just one. What could account for one existing, but not two? Occam's Razor requires that we provisionally accept the most parsimonious hypothesis that meets the need. If a multiverse can produce infinite numbers and varieties of universes, some conducive to life and mind, what do we need with infinitely more complex things like gods?

Now, before we move on to where this blob might have come from, please answer my question, which preceded yours.
rio wrote:
It's the chicken and the egg, isn't it? You cannot tell me where your "uncreated, timeless, amorphous, nonliving, primordial substance" comes from, but at the same time you ask me to prove the existence of god. At least I have an explanation, however feable it is. It MAY be a god? By which I mean a superior form of intelligence, etc... But you have none. So you are even more clueless!"!!
For starters, your debating habits are selfish and reprehensible. This site is not here for you to ask your questions while refusing to answers the questions of others, then call them clueless while beating your chest.

Now, to your pathetic argument:

Sorry, amigo, but you have no explanation at all. Goddidit is not an explanation. You have a wish that is the least likely of all possibilities that we can imagine existing uncreated, and which has no explanatory power. Faith has rendered your mind weak.

Let's look. The origins hypotheses can be ordered from most to least likely this way:

[1] A an eternal, nonliving, uncreated multiverse from which the singularity budded. This one is best because it addresses the fine tuning argument.

[2] A lone, uncreated singularity that either bootstrapped itself into existence or was the the most recent singularity in an endless and eternal cycle of bang-crunches.

[3] An infinitely more complex uncreated god creating the initial singularity. This obscene violation of Occam's Razor is the least like thing to exist uncreated, and is far more complex than the singularity.

This applies to you:

"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory." Weitzenhoffer

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

How can a god exist uncreated?.
rio wrote:
LOL. Then quit arguing.

Here's an idea: Reality is a little intimidating, but with courage, we can learn to stand upright and face it on its own terms like the bipedal apes we were born to be.

Instead of wallowing in the comforting swaddling of superstition and justifying it with nonsense about incomprehensible mysteries, we have the option of standing upright, looking out into the a sky that may contain no creators gods at all, and accepting the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years.

Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.

Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.

And if your ego will permit it, accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth. Accept that you might be unloved except by those who know you - a few people and perhaps a few other animals.

Because as far as we know, that's how it is.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
I think it's Voltaire who said "I cannot believe that this clockwork exists, but doesn't have a clockmaker". He was notoriously anti-religious.
Voltaire was a deist, as close to an atheist as it was reasonable to be before the theories of evolution and the Big Bang.

Have you got anything from somebody that has heard of Darwin and didn't wear a powdered wig?
Bobert

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Interesting
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

Atheists have nothing to back up their stance ! I would rather say a "God Did It" Than to say "it came from Nothing, It was just all a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever ! " You got to admit it, Logically a God makes a lot more sense !
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

Can any Atheist tell me where there is proof of any form of chaos in the creation of the Universe ? Somehow I don't think I will receive a logical scientific answer to this one !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 19,901 - 19,920 of20,839
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••