Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#21131 Feb 13, 2014
Can any Atheist tell me where there is proof of any form of chaos in the creation of the Universe ? Somehow I don't think I will receive a logical scientific answer to this one !

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21133 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheists have nothing to back up their stance ! I would rather say a "God Did It" Than to say "it came from Nothing,
I don't see a difference.
trandiode wrote:
It was just all a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever ! " You got to admit it, Logically a God makes a lot more sense !
I thought you were talking about your god. What kind of fluke accounts for it? How could a god exists for no reason whatsoever? Or do you think it exists "for no reason whatsoever"?

Your argument is as insubstantial as rio's. It rests on a foundation of fervent hope and a fallacy called special pleading wherein everything complex such as a universe or a living cell in it must reflect the work of a god except the god itself, the thing least likely to exists as "a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever."

Your arguments actually mean as little to you as they do to us. This becomes evident when you reject the same argument that you offer for the purpose of making your god seem necessary when it is used to do the opposite.

That's faith, and it causes you to misrepresent your motives and thought processes in a way that makes them appear that you actually respect the arguments that you are presenting, which in fact are not arguments that you would accept yourself.

Fennario

#21134 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
If you don't know yet, please allow others to find the solution without prejudice.
You will never find a solution with faith. Faith cannot possibly be a path to knowledge since it is just as easy to have faith in an idea and its opposite. Each rests on the same foundation: wishful thinking.

You just want your lazy and comforting choice respected. Sorry. You are free to hold it, but not exempt from criticism if you express it. This is a discussion venue - a marketplace of ideas of sorts. Yours is a fruitless one that has damaged mankind for millennia, and its time to shine the light of reason on it. It's time to expose it for the impediment to progress and the source of suffering that it has been for so long.

So please tell us how the existence of an uncreated god is possible, but not an uncreated universe. And if you can't, please have the grace to admit that you have no argument, just a psychological need trying to pass as reason.

Fennario

#21135 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
Atheists pretend that everything came from nowhere
No, we recognize that that is most likely. Theists pretend that a god capable of creating everything came from nowhere. The godless scenario is infinitely more reasonable and likely. The addition of a god is something you have done yourself to comfort yourself. You prefer a world with a god in it, so you insert one.

I have no such need. I don't need a protector, I don't need to be considered special by the universe, I don't require eternal life if it's not mine to have, I don't need a god to define my purpose or to tell me right from wrong.

And you would be the same if they hadn't thrown a bible in your playpen before you could think critically. Somebody did you a considerable disservice that day.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21136 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheists have nothing to back up their stance ! I would rather say a "God Did It" Than to say "it came from Nothing, It was just all a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever ! " You got to admit it, Logically a God makes a lot more sense !
Logically god makes no sense as the creator of the universe at all.

As has already been explained to you, if he created it he can't be part of it.

You want to pretend he created the universe to avoid answering bigger questions, like where did everything come from. If god created the universe then the next stage is to ask where god came from and how he created the universe. Did a bigger god create him? Do you even care or are you blissful in your ignorance?

AS for you refusing to believe the universe came from nothing: if the universe encompasses everything then it had to either start from nothing or it has existed forever and thus was never created in the first place. Either way there is zero possiblility of a god having done it.

So that's the existence of your god disproved. Utterly. Again.

Will you once again reject logic and rational thought?

I'm guessing yes..........

Fennario

#21137 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Can any Atheist tell me where there is proof of any form of chaos in the creation of the Universe ? Somehow I don't think I will receive a logical scientific answer to this one !
Why are you asking for proof, logic and science? You don't require them to believe. You didn't use them to come to your present position. And my guess is that you are unprepared to deal with them. Critical thinking skills require considerable training over years,and critical thought about scientific matters requires a significant data base of scientific facts and principles.

So why are feigning that logic and reason are important to you, or that a scientific argument could move you from your faith held position?
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#21138 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheists have nothing to back up their stance ! I would rather say a "God Did It" Than to say "it came from Nothing, It was just all a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever ! " You got to admit it, Logically a God makes a lot more sense !
Usual godbot lie who said it all came from nothing?

"You got to admit it, Logically a God makes a lot more sense !" you go ahead and stick with your myths the rest of us will stick with reality. The truth of the matter is you don't understand any of the science so you think stories told to you by other people who claim to be speaking in the name of some god or other must right.
NightSerf

Knoxville, TN

#21139 Feb 14, 2014
Our old friend IANS has put it beautifully. I only add that anything that causes minds to preclude some possibilities before vetting them as thoroughly as science and logic allow while accepting others with little or no critical assessment impedes the search for knowledge. That's what faith is and what it does.

Ideas that cannot be vetted are not necessarily discarded, only set aside until such time as advances in knowledge make an adequate assessment possible. Some ideas are so farfetched and untestable that they get pushed to the back of the shelf, so to speak, and so much dust collects that they are obscured, then forgotten unless an inherent whimsey keeps them in the realm of children's tales or other works of fiction. The ones that can be assessed are either confirmed or discarded.

Either way, progress is made. But faith is not a functional part of the process.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21140 Feb 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
You have no competence in logic, anyways, otherwise you would have understood that there are as many logic systems as there are postulates.
But you want the scientific answers
Is called chaotic a system whose motions may be defined by a mathematical equations system which have multiple solutions, thus making motion unpredictable.
An example is the three bodies gravitationnal interactions.

The motions of stars in an elliptical galaxy are defined as chaotic as well as the molecular motions in a gaz, where individual trajectory of a star in an elliptical galaxy or ildividual motion of a gaz molecule are unpredictable.

And in quantum physic, principle is that "The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa. "
meaning that no subnuclear object has real precise given place

As you are a believer, you must agree that God must give himself some degrees of freedom that scientists call chaos
trandiode

#21141 Feb 14, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Logically god makes no sense as the creator of the universe at all.
As has already been explained to you, if he created it he can't be part of it.
You want to pretend he created the universe to avoid answering bigger questions, like where did everything come from. If god created the universe then the next stage is to ask where god came from and how he created the universe. Did a bigger god create him? Do you even care or are you blissful in your ignorance?
AS for you refusing to believe the universe came from nothing: if the universe encompasses everything then it had to either start from nothing or it has existed forever and thus was never created in the first place. Either way there is zero possiblility of a god having done it.
So that's the existence of your god disproved. Utterly. Again.
Will you once again reject logic and rational thought?
I'm guessing yes..........
Zero possibility of a God ? Tell me how you came to that conclusion, I am fascinated !
trandiode

#21142 Feb 14, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no competence in logic, anyways, otherwise you would have understood that there are as many logic systems as there are postulates.
But you want the scientific answers
Is called chaotic a system whose motions may be defined by a mathematical equations system which have multiple solutions, thus making motion unpredictable.
An example is the three bodies gravitationnal interactions.
The motions of stars in an elliptical galaxy are defined as chaotic as well as the molecular motions in a gaz, where individual trajectory of a star in an elliptical galaxy or ildividual motion of a gaz molecule are unpredictable.
And in quantum physic, principle is that "The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa. "
meaning that no subnuclear object has real precise given place
As you are a believer, you must agree that God must give himself some degrees of freedom that scientists call chaos
Love the way you put that in your OWN words, You would never have guessed ! LOL
trandiode

#21143 Feb 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you asking for proof, logic and science? You don't require them to believe. You didn't use them to come to your present position. And my guess is that you are unprepared to deal with them. Critical thinking skills require considerable training over years,and critical thought about scientific matters requires a significant data base of scientific facts and principles.
So why are feigning that logic and reason are important to you, or that a scientific argument could move you from your faith held position?
Then why do you use Science to back your own stance up !
trandiode

#21144 Feb 14, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't see a difference.
<quoted text>
I thought you were talking about your god. What kind of fluke accounts for it? How could a god exists for no reason whatsoever? Or do you think it exists "for no reason whatsoever"?
Your argument is as insubstantial as rio's. It rests on a foundation of fervent hope and a fallacy called special pleading wherein everything complex such as a universe or a living cell in it must reflect the work of a god except the god itself, the thing least likely to exists as "a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever."
Your arguments actually mean as little to you as they do to us. This becomes evident when you reject the same argument that you offer for the purpose of making your god seem necessary when it is used to do the opposite.
That's faith, and it causes you to misrepresent your motives and thought processes in a way that makes them appear that you actually respect the arguments that you are presenting, which in fact are not arguments that you would accept yourself.
A lot of hot air with no substance !
CrimeaRiver

UK

#21145 Feb 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Zero possibility of a God ? Tell me how you came to that conclusion, I am fascinated !
100% possibility of a God? Tell me, how did you come to that conclusion?

Do you therefore conclude that the existence of God is not a certainty?
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21146 Feb 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Zero possibility of a God ? Tell me how you came to that conclusion, I am fascinated !
I already did. You were either too dumb, too uneducated or too willfully ignorant to get it.

If the multiverse encompasses everything then either it came from nothing or was always here.

Feel free to point out another option which leaves any possiblility of your creation myth being true.

You can't.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#21147 Feb 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheism is a lack of a belief in deities...its not a stance on the creation of the universe.

Nice try, though.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#21148 Feb 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Can any religious person tell me where there is proof of any form of god having ever existed? Somehow I don't think I will receive a logical scientific answer to this one.

Fennario

#21149 Feb 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Zero possibility of a God ? Tell me how you came to that conclusion, I am fascinated !
What if he came to it by faith the way you came to the conclusion that there is a god? If so, his claim is as valid as any faith based idea you hold.

A faith based thinker has no basis upon which to question or challenge any idea from any source. He forfeits that by embracing faith as a standard for belief. If I tell you that there are leprechauns dancing on clouds of phlogiston, you have no grounds for objecting without invoking the hypocrisy of special pleading again - the one where you subject the ideas you haven't embraced to standards that you excuse your own pet beliefs from meeting.

So it's of no concern to you how he came to that conclusion. "By faith" is a sufficient answer to a faith based thinker.

Fennario

#21150 Feb 14, 2014
Why are you asking for proof, logic and science? You don't require them to believe. You didn't use them to come to your present position. And my guess is that you are unprepared to deal with them. Critical thinking skills require considerable training over years,and critical thought about scientific matters requires a significant data base of scientific facts and principles. So why are feigning that logic and reason are important to you, or that a scientific argument could move you from your faith held position?
trandiode wrote:
Then why do you use Science to back your own stance up !
Why wouldn't I?

My comment was directed to you, a faith based thinker. I reject faith as a path to knowledge. You don't. The demands for reason and evidence of a faith based thinker can be ignored unless the poster cares to share them with other evidence based thinkers that might be reading along.

Do you think that that is unfair? I am willing to give you all that you require and all that you can use. Why are you asking for more?

Fennario

#21151 Feb 14, 2014
trandiode wrote:
It was just all a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever ! " You got to admit it, Logically a God makes a lot more sense !
I thought you were talking about your god. What kind of fluke accounts for it? How could a god exists for no reason whatsoever? Or do you think it exists "for no reason whatsoever"? Your argument is as insubstantial as rio's. It rests on a foundation of fervent hope and a fallacy called special pleading wherein everything complex such as a universe or a living cell in it must reflect the work of a god except the god itself, the thing least likely to exists as "a fluke and an accident just waiting to happen for no reason whatsoever." Your arguments actually mean as little to you as they do to us. This becomes evident when you reject the same argument that you offer for the purpose of making your god seem necessary when it is used to do the opposite. That's faith, and it causes you to misrepresent your motives and thought processes in a way that makes them appear that you actually respect the arguments that you are presenting, which in fact are not arguments that you would accept yourself.
trandiode wrote:
A lot of hot air with no substance !
My answer wasn't really for your benefit. It was for people that respect and can process reasoned arguments.

For you, my answer would be that I believe what I believe for my own reasons just like you do. There is no value to you or me in my giving you more.

As for substance, look at your two comments above and mine sandwiched between them. To evidence based thinkers, you were defeated by your failure to rebut a cogent argument as you would have been in court of law had you given the same answer to an attorney questioning you.

To faith based thinkers, it was a tie as it always is, since there is no position supported by faith that is any more valid than any other.

Are you offended by this? You shouldn't be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min u196533dm 79,743
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sun Dogen 32,575
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sat blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
News Can You Be Good Without God? Sep 13 blacklagoon 3 43
More from around the web