Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23584 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#21077 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
The onus is on atheists to explain the origin of the universe though...
Until they do that, people can believe in the probability of a creator.
So far, what we had are just condemnations of theists, "evolution" as an answer and avoidance of answering questions.
Just one question, what was before "Big Bang" ?
I do not know what was before the Big Bang........ but neither do you.

I am happy to admit it.... you are not

I am happy to consider the thousnads and thousnads of research hours that are trying to explain the origin of the universe.......... you simply regurgitate 3,000 year old texts.

Scientists at CERN are trying to re-create the exact conditions that may have existed prior to the Big Bang.......... belief in God allows no such investigation.

Evolution explains, with examples, how variuos life forms have evolved into animals we see today.......... the Bible says simply that God created the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky with no real insight into how.

Just because i don't know it doesn't mean I'll answer every question with 'God did it'

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21078 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
It is clear that Atheists have no real arguments, as they never put any proof or theory forward, they just mock the arguments put forward by theists !
What is your argument or evidence? Your beliefs are faith based.
trandiode wrote:
To date not one has put forward an intelligent argument as to why a God cannot exist !
That's not the majority position. We argue that god claims are unsupported, that the god hypothesis appears unnecessary, that gods are very unlikely and probably don't exist, and that if they do, they haven't contacted us, and have required nothing of us, including faith or worship. That's very different from your claim on our behalf.
trandiode wrote:
Sorry to all the Atheists that have posted on this thread you have not been very convincing !
We have nothing that you value to offer you.

"Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says,“Well, that’s not how I choose to think about water; All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn’t share those values, the conversation is over ." - Sam Harris

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris
trandiode wrote:
The belief in a God opens you up to far more than just a father figure !
It opens you up to an irrational metaphysics, a sterile epistemology, and a monstrous ethical system that considers whatever a god commands to be good right because it has commanded it, however sadistic.
trandiode wrote:
gives you a meaning and a purpose to your life
Not if that meaning and purpose depend on the existence of god. If your purpose is defined by that, then you have no purpose except to praise a god, which means that you are of no value to others or yourself, and of very little to the god..
trandiode wrote:
you can do so much more than you realize !
You haven't been paying attention to your own doctrine, which teaches that man is failed and a failure. It is humanism that celebrates mankind and its potential. Christians are some of the most nihilistic and pessimistic people on the planet. Here's such an opinions that I answered recently

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

What Christians call hope I call nihilism and deep pessimism.

What you call love, I call scapegoating, substitutional atonement through torture, emotional terrorism, harsh and damning judgment, and a dysfunctional relationship with an abusive god.

What you call moral behavior I call submission,which is an abdication of moral responsibility.

What you call meaning and purpose - serving a god - I call a meaningless and purposeless existence.

What you call spirituality, I call alienation from your own bodies, your fellow man, and the universe - things which you disparagingly refer to as "the flesh" and "the world."

You call faith a virtue and a path to knowledge. I call it a "sin" against reason and the self.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21079 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
It is clear that Atheists have no real arguments, as they never put any proof or theory forward, they just mock the arguments put forward by theists !
As long as theists' arguments are only blindfaith
trandiode wrote:
To date not one has put forward an intelligent argument as to why a God cannot exist ! All they have put forward are demeaning comments that make little to no sense ! Sorry to all the Atheists that have posted on this thread you have not been very convincing !
The fact is that you'r preachings would rather push me away from all kind of beliefs, you have no talent to convince any one
trandiode wrote:
The belief in a God opens you up to far more than just a father figure ! it opens you up to the infinite possibilities of your physical existence and gives you a meaning and a purpose to your life, you can do so much more than you realize !
The unbelief of a god opens my mind on seeking by myself the meaning to my own existence instead of being told by peoples for whom I've not any consideration
trandiode wrote:
Alas something you will never know, you have put up a wall and by doing so you have blocked your view and your path and everything you could of gained along the way !
Ne sutor ultra crepidam

Charlie's

#21080 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
Maybe this question is as senseless as "what was before the begining of time ?"

Fennario

#21081 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
All threads linked with God or Religion turn into a vicious multiple attack on any Theist that tries to express their beliefs !
Vicious attacks? You can put down your cross now.

If you don't want your religious beliefs critiqued, don't post them in a public discussion about religious beliefs.
trandiode wrote:
Know this, Atheists are not backed up by science nor Logic ! They have no REAL argument ! The onus is on Atheists to prove that God does not exist ! NOT the other way around , as they would have you believe !:)
The culture is engaged in a protracted discussion of the merits of faith and organized religion relative to those of humanism and Enlightenment values. The onus is on your church to survive it by convincing the rest of us of its value if it wishes to maintain relevance.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#21082 Feb 13, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know what was before the Big Bang........ but neither do you.
I am happy to admit it.... you are not
I am happy to consider the thousnads and thousnads of research hours that are trying to explain the origin of the universe.......... you simply regurgitate 3,000 year old texts.
Scientists at CERN are trying to re-create the exact conditions that may have existed prior to the Big Bang.......... belief in God allows no such investigation.
Evolution explains, with examples, how variuos life forms have evolved into animals we see today.......... the Bible says simply that God created the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky with no real insight into how.
Just because i don't know it doesn't mean I'll answer every question with 'God did it'
You obviously never read my posts!
I am not interested in 3000 years old texts, and I don't follow any religion.

But, at the same time, I believe at the probability of a creator, since none of the scientific explanations are able to convince me there is none.

When science will have come with a satisfactory answer, I may change my mind.
So far it hasn't!

I believe in evolution, but that doesn't explain the orign of life, how matter transformed itself into intelligent creatures, nor how matter itself came about.

If you have all these answesr, please share them with me.

Until then, don't dismiss deists as stupid people.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#21083 Feb 13, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact it's a very intelligent question!

If you don't have the answer to that, you are just as much in the dark as me, and you shouldn't laugh at people who ask the question.

If you are not interested in where it all came from, fine, but don't dismiss people who have an interest.

You constant answer is "There is no God, you cannot prove it".
But your reasoning isn't faultless either. "I don't want to know".

Fennario

#21084 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
Is that your argument? If so, you have no argument.
rio wrote:
How would scientific proof have any effect on a faith based thinker? We feel no burden to convince faith based thinkers of anything. With what? Logic? Evidence?
rio wrote:
The best hypothesis is the multiverse - a timeless, amorphous, nonliving, primordial substance from which an unlimited number and variety of universes has budded, some capable of supporting life and consciousness.

I have one for you: How can a god exist uncreated? Did it evolve from the substance of the multiverse?

Fennario

#21085 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
"The onus is on Atheists to prove that God does not exist ! " They could easily do that by telling us how the universe came about.
Don't kid yourself. I just gave a plausible explanation. We both know that such things have no value to you.
rio wrote:
Unless they do that, they are as much in the dark as anyone else.
Not so. The darkness of faith is much blacker than the glimmer of reason.

Fennario

#21086 Feb 13, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
Correct. It's a malformed question, like, "Which star in the Milky Way is westernmost?" or "What is the speed of the earth through space?"
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#21087 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously never read my posts!
I am not interested in 3000 years old texts, and I don't follow any religion.
But, at the same time, I believe at the probability of a creator, since none of the scientific explanations are able to convince me there is none.
When science will have come with a satisfactory answer, I may change my mind.
So far it hasn't!
I believe in evolution, but that doesn't explain the orign of life, how matter transformed itself into intelligent creatures, nor how matter itself came about.
If you have all these answesr, please share them with me.
Until then, don't dismiss deists as stupid people.
So Rio - If I told you that ancient mayan, inca and sumerian civilisations believed that Human kind evolved from contact with a celestial being that resembles an Alien.

Would you beleive that Aliens intervened in the evolution of Humans?
rio

Beckenham, UK

#21088 Feb 13, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The best hypothesis is the multiverse - a timeless, amorphous, nonliving, primordial substance from which an unlimited number and variety of universes has budded, some capable of supporting life and consciousness.
OK, can you tell me where this " a timeless, amorphous, nonliving, primordial substance" came from?

It seems that for you everything came from nothing, existed spontaneously, and will go back to nothing.

I am sorry, but you haven't answer my question.

If you don't have the answer, just don't pretend you have!
rio

Beckenham, UK

#21089 Feb 13, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
So Rio - If I told you that ancient mayan, inca and sumerian civilisations believed that Human kind evolved from contact with a celestial being that resembles an Alien.
Would you beleive that Aliens intervened in the evolution of Humans?
I seek a plausible answer to my question "Where did it all came from?"

No point of making fun of it with silly asides.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#21090 Feb 13, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
...Just because i don't know it doesn't mean I'll answer every question with 'God did it'
And even if there were an entity of some sort that one might call a creator, if we don't even know how the universe began there are still fewer grounds to assume the existence of a creator. Even less still can we assume such an undefined entity has a particular interest in individuals on this planet at this particular point in space-time.

But religion is even worse and goes much further. They often take a mythology (such as Christianity) and treat it as more than just superstition. Religionists themselves often laugh at mediums, exorcists and witches and call them 'superstition', but then go to Church to worship an all-knowing 'Him'!

Lol! It's always a him :-) Arguably a creator of the universe would be more logically a 'her'?! If there were such an 'ultimate intelligence' she must be laughing her socks off like any atheist or non-believer on this planet
https://www.google.co.uk/search...
- assuming she enjoys the very human attribute of humor That is anthropomorphising this supposed "all-knowing Creator" too!:-)....
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#21091 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I seek a plausible answer to my question "Where did it all came from?"
No point of making fun of it with silly asides.
So why is the idea of Alien intervention more silly than a creator God.

They could be one and the same.

Like you said, humans attempt to seek meaning, what if Aliens from the sky were mistaken for Gods.

You cannot disprove this anymore than I can Prove it.

This is where blind faith becomes an impediment to reason

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#21092 Feb 13, 2014
trandiode wrote:
It is clear that Atheists have no real arguments, as they never put any proof or theory forward, they just mock the arguments put forward by theists ! To date not one has put forward an intelligent argument as to why a God cannot exist ! All they have put forward are demeaning comments that make little to no sense ! Sorry to all the Atheists that have posted on this thread you have not been very convincing ! The belief in a God opens you up to far more than just a father figure ! it opens you up to the infinite possibilities of your physical existence and gives you a meaning and a purpose to your life, you can do so much more than you realize ! Alas something you will never know, you have put up a wall and by doing so you have blocked your view and your path and everything you could of gained along the way !
Why would one be required to put forth an argument proving the non-existence of something when there has literally never been any proof that the thing in question existed in the first place?
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#21093 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
So far, what we had are just condemnations of theists, "evolution" as an answer and avoidance of answering questions.
The difference is quite simple:-

1. Theists ----> goddidit.
2. Atheists ---> Don't know, yet.

Theists have always claimed that the bits science can't explain are 'goddidit'.
At the moment science can't explain t=0 - 1.0x10^-42s that is the first:-
0.0000000000000000000000000000 00000000000001 of a second out of the 432339120000000000 seconds the verse has been in existence.

So the 'goddidit' bit is getting quite small.
As for "what was before "Big Bang" ?" .... don't know....yet.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#21094 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>

Dinner, a long, quiet walk through the park, a couple of bottles of wine and a whole lot of foreplay!

Charlie's

#21095 Feb 13, 2014
rio wrote:
In fact it's a very intelligent question!
It's based on the proposition which is that if something exists, then it must have been created, and the believers never discuss that proposition.
Some scientists bet on an everlasting meta-Universe that blobs universes, thinking that they make it mathematically and geometrically relevant, the bet is a winner.
The fact is that I find much more interesting the skeptical man who doubts and seeks than the one who have questions answered and didn't seek for it.

and you can't deny that to any embarassing question at believers such as "If God created all, did he create Evil as well ?"
they have the now-anwser wich is "God works in mysterious ways".

Last point, cosmology described by today's scientists is far greater and much more splendid with billion years durations and with a far more thriling story than any religion holy story book ever imagined.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#21096 Feb 13, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
It's based on the proposition which is that if something exists, then it must have been created, and the believers never discuss that proposition.
Some scientists bet on an everlasting meta-Universe that blobs universes, thinking that they make it mathematically and geometrically relevant, the bet is a winner.
The fact is that I find much more interesting the skeptical man who doubts and seeks than the one who have questions answered and didn't seek for it.
and you can't deny that to any embarassing question at believers such as "If God created all, did he create Evil as well ?"
they have the now-anwser wich is "God works in mysterious ways".
Last point, cosmology described by today's scientists is far greater and much more splendid with billion years durations and with a far more thriling story than any religion holy story book ever imagined.
Agree whole heartedly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 38 min -Stray Dog 47,784
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 47 min -Stray Dog 247,316
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr emperorjohn 102
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr thetruth 12,563
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 5 hr thetruth 59
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 13 hr Amused 5
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... Sat thetruth 19
More from around the web