Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#21050 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheists reason for being are the same as ants ! they live, they eat , they breed and then they die ! Nothing more exists beyond there own ant nest because there is no need for anything else to exist outside their own comfort zone and being ! This existence exists only because they exist ! If only man had the mind of an ant then we could all be happy just existing and having so much comfort in that belief that we need not think any further :)
Atheists lack a belief in deities, nothing more, nothing less.

That you need it to be something different, says more about you than it does atheists.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#21051 Feb 12, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists lack a belief in deities, nothing more, nothing less.
That you need it to be something different, says more about you than it does atheists.
That is where you are wrong about your own belief system ! You do not believe in anything outside of the physical realm ! Period !!!
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21052 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> That is where you are wrong about your own belief system ! You do not believe in anything outside of the physical realm ! Period !!!
Riiiiggght..........

Tell it to bhudda.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#21053 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> That is where you are wrong about your own belief system ! You do not believe in anything outside of the physical realm ! Period !!!
Why do we need to believe anything outside our physical realm?

Things outside of our physical realm do not affect us in any way.

But believers choose to make the intangible tangible.

Belief in God is on a par with belief in alternate universes.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#21054 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
What belief system are you referring to?

I don't believe in anything outside the physical realm? So I don't believe in love or happiness or anything like that?

You're kind of embarrassing yourself....

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21055 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
A bit vague, but the most intelligent question you have asked so far :)
Is it OK to issue personal slurs now? I didn't realize that either of us had given the other permission to make personal or derogatory comments. Or is that just part of your understanding of the Golden Rule.

I have to say that I don't think much of the Christian church's people building. So many of you seem so ill bred.by my standards. But what would a godless heathen know about ethics, huh? I don't have the Holy Spirit guiding me.

Fennario

#21056 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
That is where you are wrong about your own belief system ! You do not believe in anything outside of the physical realm ! Period !!!
LOL. Now we're telling one another what we believe? OK.

You believe a ghost raped a young girl, and you worship it, too. Have you no shame?

Fennario

#21057 Feb 12, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
Why do we need to believe anything outside our physical realm?
Perhaps you and I don't, but the spiritually bereft need more than just the universe, the sun, the earth, the oceans and clouds, mankind, other life, consciousness, reason, and an awareness of truth, goodness, beauty, and love for their lives to have meaning.

Their faith teaches them that those things are not only not enough, they are meaningless, and all meaning comes from the existence of a deity that might not exist living in a place that might not exist that they will not experience until the time after their deaths when experience likely ends. They are taught that none of that matters or has meaning - just praising a god.

By my standards, that defines spiritual death in this life, which as far as we know, is our only life.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#21058 Feb 12, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you and I don't, but the spiritually bereft need more than just the universe, the sun, the earth, the oceans and clouds, mankind, other life, consciousness, reason, and an awareness of truth, goodness, beauty, and love for their lives to have meaning.
Their faith teaches them that those things are not only not enough, they are meaningless, and all meaning comes from the existence of a deity that might not exist living in a place that might not exist that they will not experience until the time after their deaths when experience likely ends. They are taught that none of that matters or has meaning - just praising a god.
By my standards, that defines spiritual death in this life, which as far as we know, is our only life.
Its a sickness. And I don't mean that as an insult to believers.

When somebody hears voices in their head or feels the presence of a non-existent entity, what do we do?

We lock them up.

But if you're a believer then its OK.

I just can't fathom how people in this day and age still believe in fables that were designed to control our forefathers.

Fennario

#21059 Feb 12, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
Its a sickness. And I don't mean that as an insult to believers. When somebody hears voices in their head or feels the presence of a non-existent entity, what do we do? We lock them up. But if you're a believer then its OK. I just can't fathom how people in this day and age still believe in fables that were designed to control our forefathers.
Here's how Sam Harris said the same thing:

"If you wake up tomorrow morning thinking that saying a few Latin words over your pancakes is going to turn them into the body of Elvis Presley, OK - you have lost your mind. But if you think more or less the same thing about a cracker and the body of Jesus, you’re just a Catholic."

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#21060 Feb 12, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's how Sam Harris said the same thing:
"If you wake up tomorrow morning thinking that saying a few Latin words over your pancakes is going to turn them into the body of Elvis Presley, OK - you have lost your mind. But if you think more or less the same thing about a cracker and the body of Jesus, you’re just a Catholic."
Religions... and other superstitions... are only stupid if they're not the ones you cling to

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21061 Feb 12, 2014
MUQ wrote:
Do you know the "exact date" when the camels were domisticated?
It is a strange world, every one speaks whatever comes in one' mind and calls it "Scientific Research"!!
Just read the press new. Searchers say they can make a difference bitwin domesticated camels and wild ones because carrying loads camels have stifer leg bones.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#21062 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Simple, You just move a step up the ladder to become more than what you are now !
Think of it as a spiritual evolution :)
That's like saying the purpose of life is to grow up. OK so I've grown up. Now what is my purpose in life?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#21063 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheists reason for being are the same as ants ! they live, they eat , they breed and then they die ! Nothing more exists beyond there own ant nest because there is no need for anything else to exist outside their own comfort zone and being ! This existence exists only because they exist ! If only man had the mind of an ant then we could all be happy just existing and having so much comfort in that belief that we need not think any further
Thinking further is this: God often means a religion, and I don't like any, sorry.
Yours so boring, disqualifyed
Except may be for the same religion as this Indias' tribe wich believes that they are on earth to make their desert a garden, that's a good religion enough

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#21064 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheists reason for being are the same as ants ! they live, they eat , they breed and then they die ! Nothing more exists beyond there own ant nest because there is no need for anything else to exist outside their own comfort zone and being ! This existence exists only because they exist ! If only man had the mind of an ant then we could all be happy just existing and having so much comfort in that belief that we need not think any further :)
It doesn't seem to take all that much to derail a thought processor like yours. Case in point, this excerpt from your post could almost could be mistaken for a thought. >>>

>> "This existence exists only because they exist !" <<

<< It is proof that you have wandered very close to, but did so without actually partaking of, that forbidden tree of knowledge
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21065 Feb 12, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Just read the press new. Searchers say they can make a difference bitwin domesticated camels and wild ones because carrying loads camels have stifer leg bones.
That is the problem with these Researchers!!

They find a mole hill and make a mountain of it, while they ignore another mountain standing beside it and consider it as a molehill.

How feeble is their data to find the "date on which camels were domesticated in that region" ...every one can see.

But they make tall claims and most people just accept it, because "It goes against the religions"!!
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21066 Feb 12, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Would you trade places with Ants?

You do not know how strenuous are their lives and how hard the struggle for survival? How brutal are their fights?

You have chosen a very wrong example!!

Birds could be a better alternative!!

God made us humans, the pinnacle of His creations and you want to become animals?
trandiode

#21067 Feb 12, 2014
It is clear that Atheists have no real arguments, as they never put any proof or theory forward, they just mock the arguments put forward by theists ! To date not one has put forward an intelligent argument as to why a God cannot exist ! All they have put forward are demeaning comments that make little to no sense ! Sorry to all the Atheists that have posted on this thread you have not been very convincing ! The belief in a God opens you up to far more than just a father figure ! it opens you up to the infinite possibilities of your physical existence and gives you a meaning and a purpose to your life, you can do so much more than you realize ! Alas something you will never know, you have put up a wall and by doing so you have blocked your view and your path and everything you could of gained along the way !
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#21068 Feb 13, 2014
^^^^^ mentalist
trandiode

#21069 Feb 13, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you trade places with Ants?
You do not know how strenuous are their lives and how hard the struggle for survival? How brutal are their fights?
You have chosen a very wrong example!!
Birds could be a better alternative!!
God made us humans, the pinnacle of His creations and you want to become animals?
Ants are so grounded to the earth, Birds can walk upon the earth and fly among the clouds ! Atheists my friend are indeed ants !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 32 min Eagle 12 - 1,369
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr 15th Dalai Lama 78,569
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Science 32,430
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web