Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,239

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#20993 Feb 10, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange how you think all religions are wrong except your own.
<quoted text>
You can't actually know any of that is true.
It's just pure belief on your part.
<quoted text>
“There is no God”.
If an incredibly powerful and intelligent entity can just exist without cause then so can the universe.
A God is a something and yes he does need to be explained.
“There is no purpose for human life”.
There is no reason why there should be any other purpose than those we make for ourselves. It's pure wishful thinking to believe there has to be any purpose.
So just what do you think our purpose actually is? I've yet to hear of any from a theist that made sense.
“ except to eat, drink and have sex and enjoy life”.
No Purpose to life and Existence ? How is it that everything that exists has a reason and a purpose, even Science has shown you that ! Yet you contradict it all when you say that life and existence need not have a purpose or meaning ? What a huge mysterious contradiction ! Everything that you know of, even dreams when your fast asleep serves a reason and a purpose, so to your mind and your ability to think beyond a square ! use it !

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20995 Feb 10, 2014
to tell the truth, enough is enough and I've had it with is thread. I feel sad for all atheists, where did you go wrong? Nothing from nothing is nothing. I'll bet any atheist that I am somebody, number one at that.1>0

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20996 Feb 10, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
to tell the truth, enough is enough and I've had it with is thread. I feel sad for all atheists, where did you go wrong? Nothing from nothing is nothing. I'll bet any atheist that I am somebody, number one at that.1>0
Good riddance…half the crap you post is indecipherable.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20997 Feb 10, 2014
What did prophet preach?(The other side of story)

Selection from the book MISHKAT AL MASABEEH (an authentic collection of sayings of prophet) Part-2

Subject: ZUHD (Contd.)

7. Prophet PBUH said “You should appreciate the gift of five things before five other things

“Youth before old age sets in”
“Healthiness before infirmity sets-in”
“Abundance of means before poverty comes”
“Free time before you become busy”
“Life on this earth before death”

8. Prophet PBUH said “If this entire earth and all its contents would have value of Gnats wings in the eyes of Allah, He would not have given Unbelievers even a sip of water”

9. Prophet PBUH said “A believer whatever he spends rightfully is considered as acts of good deeds by Allah and he will be rewarded for it, but that is not so for what he spends in excess”

10. Prophet PBUH said “If you are not greedy towards wealth of this world, Allah will love you and if you are not greedy for what other persons have, people would like you”

11. Prophet PBUH said “My Lord offered me to turn all the stones of Makkah into gold nuggets….but I said “O my Lord! I wish that one day I eat with full stomach and next day I stay empty stomached”

12. Prophet PBUH said “One who gets up in the morning in the state that he no fear of his life or property, he has good health and he has enough food to last that day, then it is as if he has got enough from the world”

13. Prophet PBUH said “ When there is no blessings in the wealth of a person, he spends in on lavish buildings which is beyond his requirements.

14. Prophet PBUH said “One who will be nearest to me in the hereafter, would be the one who are most righteous and most God conscious, whosever they and wherever they are”

15. Prophet PBUH said “ If you see some one who is not too much attracted towards this world and he speaks less, then get close to him, because he has been given wisdom”

“AU KAMA QAAL ALAIHI AL SALAT WA SALAAM (Prophet PBUH said these or similar words)

Contd.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20999 Feb 10, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> No Purpose to life and Existence ? How is it that everything that exists has a reason and a purpose, even Science has shown you that ! Yet you contradict it all when you say that life and existence need not have a purpose or meaning ? What a huge mysterious contradiction ! Everything that you know of, even dreams when your fast asleep serves a reason and a purpose, so to your mind and your ability to think beyond a square ! use it !
These people pose as if they have all the brains in the world and no one else has.

But you see their posts, you find nothing of value there.

It is very easy to negate every thing, life has no purpose, there is no Creator, all laws and rules just came automatically.

Can a reasonable person talk like that?

And I stand by my statement that this Atheist movement started because of faulty models of God that so many religions provided. That model could not cope up with the scientific discoveries and scientific exploration.

That was the starting point, but with time it became a fashion and now every Tom, Dick and Harry claims that he is an atheist, without even knowing what is atheism and who is an atheist.

They ask people to bring proofs about existence of God, while they themselves have never brought any proof that things can create themselves , or they can come just by chance... these are mere ASSUMPTIONS without any proofs whatsoever.

Our Fashionable Atheists are therefore most illogical, unreasonable and people who do not use their brains.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#21000 Feb 10, 2014
MUQ wrote:
What did prophet preach?....
Judging by the action of his followers:-

1. Murder (especially of little girls).
2. Rape (especially of little girls).
3. Destruction.

Don't try and dress you religion up as a benevolent society we know it isn't.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#21001 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging by the action of his followers:-
3. Destruction.
That shows the depth of your knowledge, and you post these comments even after reading what he said.

They say "Bias is the biggest enemy on the path of learning" your post just confirms it.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#21002 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Judging by the action of his followers:-

3. Destruction.

How is it any different than your actions of murder and rape of little girls and destruction?
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#21003 Feb 11, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it any different than your actions of murder and rape of little girls and destruction?
Simple have done none of those things nor do I belong to any religion so your post is meaningless.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#21004 Feb 11, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
That shows the depth of your knowledge, and you post these comments even after reading what he said.
They say "Bias is the biggest enemy on the path of learning" your post just confirms it.
The actions of your religion speak louder than words.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#21005 Feb 11, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Simple have done none of those things nor do I belong to any religion so your post is meaningless.
Sure you have and do. Why must you deny it?
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#21006 Feb 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who was told that his life was meaningless without a god and believed it. You let them take too much from you.
Exactly.

Giving apparently weak minds reason to live seems to be one explanation for the persistence of religion (and other superstitions)- "I don't understand the meaning of life so 'my belief is'(whatever religion)". Arguably, much of the trouble in the world is due to people holding strong or even absolute beliefs in whatever the hell they like, such as Islam, Zionism, child genital mutilation, Creationism, racist or sexist beliefs, to give just some examples. Beliefs are dangerous if they're absolute or not always open to question. The superstitious are naturally very defensive.

One root of the problem might be the concept of having a 'set of beliefs'. Beliefs should be limited to the reason and evidence that supports them - ALL beliefs, religious, "sacred" or otherwise.
Ironside

Brighton, UK

#21007 Feb 11, 2014
People can believe what they like as long as it's not expected that everyone else should give into their every whim like a certain guest blood cult aloud in our country..
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#21008 Feb 11, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly.
Giving apparently weak minds reason to live seems to be one explanation for the persistence of religion (and other superstitions)- "I don't understand the meaning of life so 'my belief is'(whatever religion)". Arguably, much of the trouble in the world is due to people holding strong or even absolute beliefs in whatever the hell they like, such as Islam, Zionism, child genital mutilation, Creationism, racist or sexist beliefs, to give just some examples. Beliefs are dangerous if they're absolute or not always open to question. The superstitious are naturally very defensive.
One root of the problem might be the concept of having a 'set of beliefs'. Beliefs should be limited to the reason and evidence that supports them - ALL beliefs, religious, "sacred" or otherwise.
Weak Minds ? I think not ! To me a weak minded person sees and finds nothing where a strong mind seeks and finds what is missing ! To say there is no reason to be is an escape route from using all the intelligence you were given, to think about the meaning of existence ! No intelligent thinking person could possibly believe that there is no reason for existence, if you really believe existence has no meaning or reason , then you are either lying to yourself or adverse to reasoning !
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#21009 Feb 11, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you have and do. Why must you deny it?
More stupidity form a mindless godbot.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#21010 Feb 11, 2014
BTW

EXPERT

ex ----> a has been
spurt ---> a drip under pressure
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#21011 Feb 11, 2014
If you can't see it, can't measure it, can't taste, smell or touch it.

Then it doesn't exist!
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#21012 Feb 11, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> ...No intelligent thinking person could possibly believe that there is no reason for existence,..
No thinking person would believe in gods or fairies.
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#21013 Feb 11, 2014
Nothing when used in the context of existence is an impossibility ! You can say you have nothing in your pocket, But in reality that's not true, Everything in reality is full even a hole ! Nothing means ,no space, no time, no shape, no form, no dimension, no color, no blackness, no light,no vacuum, no sub atomic particles NOTHING ! You cannot create nothing, the human mind cannot even contemplate a nothingness ! its a complete impossibility ! Believing in a state of nothing defies everything that exists ! You cannot prove a nothing ! So why do you argue against a God and replace him with a nothing ! Its Just so incredibly naive, I really cannot believe that people are so blase as to use the word nothing so so meaninglessly ! Understand what you are really saying then you will realize how silly and absurd it really is !
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#21014 Feb 11, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Nothing when used in the context of existence is an impossibility ! You can say you have nothing in your pocket, But in reality that's not true, Everything in reality is full even a hole ! Nothing means ,no space, no time, no shape, no form, no dimension, no color, no blackness, no light,no vacuum, no sub atomic particles NOTHING ! You cannot create nothing, the human mind cannot even contemplate a nothingness ! its a complete impossibility ! Believing in a state of nothing defies everything that exists ! You cannot prove a nothing ! So why do you argue against a God and replace him with a nothing ! Its Just so incredibly naive, I really cannot believe that people are so blase as to use the word nothing so so meaninglessly ! Understand what you are really saying then you will realize how silly and absurd it really is !
Why does God have to be replaced with nothing?

If God doesn't exist, HE simply doesn't exist. There is no need to replace him with anything, let alone nothing.

But what you are arguing for is not God. You have never seen God or seen any evidence of him. What you are arguing for is blind faith.... that you believe in God so He exists in your sphere of reality.

What the rest of us are arguing against is the use of blind faith as evidence of God.

Blind faith is not evidence, it is dangerous. It makes people do crazy things like blow up trains or join cults.

Feel free to worship your God but understand that is your personal choice based on your personal faith in His existence. It can never be used to convince non believers of an Almighty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 1 hr polymath257 84
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 233,055
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr serfs up 2,606
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr thetruth 165
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 5 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Mikko 1,452
Evidence for God! 5 hr Morse 369
More from around the web