Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

rio

Bromley, UK

#20872 Feb 6, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No. The Soviets also had an irrational belief system which I reject, but the Orthodox church got through it OK. I'll be out with my Russian friend tonight, btw. I trust her accounts more than yours.
<quoted text>
I don't think many believers "got through it OK;. millions died!!!

All depend how old your Russian friends are. Since the 80s, communism was going soft.
But those who experienced the 50s and 60s will tell you if it was a bundle of fun.
rio

Bromley, UK

#20874 Feb 6, 2014
Thinking wrote:
1950s christians hounded Alan Turing to his death. People were c***s back then.
<quoted text>
That was because of his sexual orientation, no?

Society in general was quite opposed to homosexuals then.

Do you know many countries, political systems or religions that tolerated gays in the 50s?

Even divorce and cohabitation weren't tolerated!
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20876 Feb 6, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You are looking at 24 years from now.
I cannot see all the religionists to stop educating their kids in the faith they believe.
Abandoning going to church, synagogue or temple doesn't mean giving up religion; it means less time to practice, etc... It doesn't mean these folk suddenly become atheists, nor educate their kids that way. As you know, our family influence forms most of our personal philosophy..
Also, our Western world is quite different from the rest of the world where other religions are very much part of society. Like India, for example. Religions are still strong in Africa and Latin America.
But you are wrong; there is quite a revival of people attracted by tarot cards and mediums these days. They are often people who have given up practising religion and seek some answer to their worries. Tarot readers and mediums do a booming business
I suppose that you don't accept "energy power" and the law of attraction either. Too spiritual and unhinged for you.
Dude - I don't regard anyone as unhinged.

In fact I hold more regard for mediums, tarot cards, horoscopes (not the ones in the newspaper but the ones that are based on date/time of birth etc).

The reason i hold more regard for these is that the results are immediate (either they are wrong or right)

A friend of mine had a horoscope written for her when she was born. They are mainly used for marriage matches in her culture. She was not aware that one had been written for her.

When she eventually go to read it at the age of 28, she couldn't belive how it charted her whole life down to what degree she would study and a recurring skin ailment that she still suffers with.

So I don't mind that kind of stuff, I don't regard them as crackpots but wider society does.

But with Religion, you cannot verify or reject the claims of religionists until you are dead. And then its way too late.
rio

Bromley, UK

#20877 Feb 6, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude - I don't regard anyone as unhinged.
In fact I hold more regard for mediums, tarot cards, horoscopes (not the ones in the newspaper but the ones that are based on date/time of birth etc).
The reason i hold more regard for these is that the results are immediate (either they are wrong or right)
A friend of mine had a horoscope written for her when she was born. They are mainly used for marriage matches in her culture. She was not aware that one had been written for her.
When she eventually go to read it at the age of 28, she couldn't belive how it charted her whole life down to what degree she would study and a recurring skin ailment that she still suffers with.
So I don't mind that kind of stuff, I don't regard them as crackpots but wider society does.
But with Religion, you cannot verify or reject the claims of religionists until you are dead. And then its way too late.
I am open-minded to those as well. One of my daughters is pagan and believes a lot in spirituality, the transfer of energy, positivity, etc... Some of it makes sense, but other religionists laugh at them, without realising that some of their principles are the same.
There is a flow of energy in us, and around us, and we can harness it Thinking constantly about something can make it happen. When several people concentrate on the same thing, the flow of energy from them become immense, hence the need for folks to congregate for poll their energy to obtain something (like rain, or the cure for illness).
Religions have channelled that with prayer meetings, at regular times, etc... where the collective energy is at its strongest, etc... Hence Sunday mass, which is the ultimate expression of collective will, or even more with pilgrimages, etc...
Although the are lot of charlatans, I do believe in after life for those reasons as well. There is energy around us that doesn't belong to people alive. Is it energy left behind by departed?, I don't know, but it seems to exist.
I had strange experiences with my daughter. Before I used to ridicule her for her beliefs, or her adoration of nature, now I don't. Paganism is a lot more complex than people think.
I understand why it was judged dangerous for other religionists in the past.
Nowadays, some people think pagans are just crackpots which I don't think they are.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Spider

Littleport, UK

#20879 Feb 6, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I am open-minded to those as well. One of my daughters is pagan and believes a lot in spirituality, the transfer of energy, positivity, etc... Some of it makes sense, but other religionists laugh at them, without realising that some of their principles are the same.
There is a flow of energy in us, and around us, and we can harness it Thinking constantly about something can make it happen. When several people concentrate on the same thing, the flow of energy from them become immense, hence the need for folks to congregate for poll their energy to obtain something (like rain, or the cure for illness).
Religions have channelled that with prayer meetings, at regular times, etc... where the collective energy is at its strongest, etc... Hence Sunday mass, which is the ultimate expression of collective will, or even more with pilgrimages, etc...
Although the are lot of charlatans, I do believe in after life for those reasons as well. There is energy around us that doesn't belong to people alive. Is it energy left behind by departed?, I don't know, but it seems to exist.
I had strange experiences with my daughter. Before I used to ridicule her for her beliefs, or her adoration of nature, now I don't. Paganism is a lot more complex than people think.
I understand why it was judged dangerous for other religionists in the past.
Nowadays, some people think pagans are just crackpots which I don't think they are.
You are so very close to my wave length,, interesting.
rio

Bromley, UK

#20881 Feb 6, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No, it was because society was f**ked up.
I note islamists always attack the victim for daring to wear clothes they don't like, etc, etc without stopping to realise they're the ones at fault.
<quoted text>
I also note that you push your Islalmophobia a lot to make the case for atheism.

Quite revealing, I thought ....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20882 Feb 6, 2014
the 'blame game strategy' which is as old as Adam and Eve
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20883 Feb 7, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what you have been implying from the beginning, without much proof.
I noticed that you atheism, or pretend atheism, is just a veiled attack at just one religion: Islam.
That is a constant among the militant atheists; they only see Islam as a threat and not the other religions. I wonder why ...
There is a reason for that, it is only Islam which is fighting and resisting on every front against these atheists.\

Most of other religions have given up hope and are hiding in their holes.

There opposition is just superficial and in their insiders they have many who are full time members of these atheists.

And there is another reason, it is because of weakness of Christianity to answer so many reasonable doubts and questions asked by these atheists, that this movement has spread so far in Western Christian nations.

These atheists have nothing to fear from Christians and Western Govts. and that is why they are targeting Islam and Muslims
rio

Bromley, UK

#20884 Feb 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a reason for that, it is only Islam which is fighting and resisting on every front against these atheists.\
Most of other religions have given up hope and are hiding in their holes.
There opposition is just superficial and in their insiders they have many who are full time members of these atheists.
And there is another reason, it is because of weakness of Christianity to answer so many reasonable doubts and questions asked by these atheists, that this movement has spread so far in Western Christian nations.
These atheists have nothing to fear from Christians and Western Govts. and that is why they are targeting Islam and Muslims
You may well be right.
Islam is seen as a threat by many, a challenge they don't know how to tackle.
They are not successful abroad and powerless at home.
The influx of Muslims in the West has nothing if exacerbated the danger.
Atheists are catching on that, mixing resistance to Muslim migrants with their struggle towards a godless world.
rio

Bromley, UK

#20886 Feb 7, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I prefer the term "non believer" because religitards very often lie about the definition of Atheism when they try and smear it as a faith.
<quoted text>
What you want and what you get are two different things!!

After banging the drum for atheism for so long, don't try to change horse in the middle of the river now!!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#20888 Feb 7, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
What you want and what you get are two different things!!
After banging the drum for atheism for so long, don't try to change horse in the middle of the river now!!
Can some one translate this word sallad ?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20889 Feb 7, 2014
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Can some one translate this word sallad ?
SureĀ…the word you were looking for was "salad".
KwaZulu

Europe

#20892 Feb 7, 2014
Sorry to burst your balloons!
Atheism is not a religion but people that refuse to believe in christianity!
There is no way that
atheism will rule out christianity!
LOL!!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#20893 Feb 7, 2014
rio wrote:
Islam is seen as a threat by many, a challenge they don't know how to tackle.
Islam is seen as a violent religion, but not really a threat except to the unfortunate few that get close to a suicide bomber. We know exactly how to deal with Islam. If a Muslim demands that you not draw Mohammed, you draw him everywhere.
rio wrote:
They are not successful abroad and powerless at home. The influx of Muslims in the West has nothing if exacerbated the danger. Atheists are catching on that, mixing resistance to Muslim migrants with their struggle towards a godless world.
Muslims are no danger at all except to themselves. The religion is irrelevant outside of Muslim countries.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#20894 Feb 7, 2014
rio wrote:
What you want nd what you get are two different things!! After banging the drum for atheism for so long, don't try to change horse in the middle of the river now!!
I am proud of my atheism. And I encourage other atheists to use the term proudly.
rio

Bromley, UK

#20895 Feb 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I am proud of my atheism. And I encourage other atheists to use the term proudly.
Nothing wrong there, as long as you accept that others may have a different opinion.

But personally, I am proud only of what I achieve, not of what I am.
What is the achievement in being atheist?
Jim

Great Missenden, UK

#20897 Feb 7, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing wrong there, as long as you accept that others may have a different opinion.
But personally, I am proud only of what I achieve, not of what I am.
What is the achievement in being atheist?
Creationist scum idiots with no proof of god keep yapping on about how atheists are this and that.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20898 Feb 7, 2014
GOD IS PERFECTION. It needs no proof. Perfection is what we try to achieve but always fall short. God never falls short. IMAGINE THAT!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20899 Feb 7, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
GOD IS PERFECTION. It needs no proof. Perfection is what we try to achieve but always fall short. God never falls short. IMAGINE THAT!
Well, since nothing of what you said is true, it has to be imagined.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20900 Feb 7, 2014
It is acceptable for someone to believe in a God and yet may have not found a religion to base their belief on ! Do not be so critical of them ! All religions are touched by the hand of God ! The problem is All religions have also been touched. altered and blemished in the hands of man ! It is for each individual who believes in a God to find their own path ! For all paths lead to the same kingdom ! It is their souls journey which will light the way !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 23 min was auch immer 87,669
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 47 min Eagle 12 - 259
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) 2 hr ChristineM 144
Why does Congress have a Chaplain ? Sat Wilmington 1
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Sat Wisdom of Ages 5,843
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 21 ChristineM 4,035
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
More from around the web