Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24083 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20513 Jan 29, 2014
walden wrote:
Religion is the biggest ongoing con in history directly causing 1,000,000s of deaths, rapes, scandals, thefts, murders, degrading acts ect.
Let's face it when you die there's nothing just blackness and nothingness, you have no memory of being alive when you die so what's the point of living and what's the point of religion.
Let the dead bury their dead ! There is no Blackness in nothing, There is just nothing, No memories ,No mind to contemplate ! Nothing ! Truly your life was just a total waste of space, energy and time ! Like everyone else, and everything else ! What was the point of the Universe even being ? See how absurd it really is to be an atheist !!!!!
rio

London, UK

#20515 Jan 29, 2014
walden wrote:
Religion is the biggest ongoing con in history directly causing 1,000,000s of deaths, rapes, scandals, thefts, murders, degrading acts ect.
Let's face it when you die there's nothing just blackness and nothingness, you have no memory of being alive when you die so what's the point of living and what's the point of religion.
You think atheists don't kill, rape, thieve or commit degrading acts? Come of it !!!

Your "blackness and nothingness" waiting for us after death, don't give much sense to life, don't they? A very pessimistic scenario ...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#20516 Jan 29, 2014
rio wrote:
Mohammed married a young girl to give her protection, which was common at the time. The marriage was probably not consummated before she was pubescent, which was also common at the time.
There you go - faith, not proof. Your belief is unsupported except by your faith - how you'd like things to be. Muhammad was a primitive man, and a killer. He could do whatever he liked. And we know what men like.

Plus, he was the father of a religion noted for its misogyny.
rio wrote:
The age of Aisha is in fact a matter of contradiction; some day she was 6 years old at the time of marriage, some say 9, and others even 16!
From Wiki:

"Traditional sources state that Aisha was married to Muhammad at the age of six, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine, when the marriage was consummated with Muhammad, then 53, in Medina; with the exception of al-Tabari who records that she was ten years old."
rio wrote:
It's a common feature among Islamophobes to attack Muslims and in particular Mohammed as "pedophiles", as if this didn't happen in other religions as well
That's no defense.
rio wrote:
The average life expenctancy at the time of Mohammed was around 35 years old, and most people already had grand children a by the time of their death. So we cannot judge the society in Arabia at the time of Mohammed by our standards.
That's mighty open minded of you. I agree that moral standards are relative and evolve over time.

I presume that you don't judge modern man by the standards of any ancient system of moral behavior then, correct?
trandiode

#20517 Jan 29, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure if you intentionally misquoted me or misunderstood what i said (if so, I'm sorry)
I didn't say that Aliens taught us about God. I said that Aliens were the Gods
This is all conjecture of course, but so are most theories on God
These extraterrestrial beings came down from the Sky and taught humans to speak, to write, to think, to learn. Perhaps they disappeared as quickly as they appeared to leave humanity with these gifts
These beings would be considered Supreme.
As stories are passed down from generation to generation - these supreme beings may be worshipeed as givers of life.
As all memories of these supreme beings fade, all humans are left with are the stories which they continue to pass on to future generations.
1000 years on and these extra terrestrial supreme beings have morphed into Gods (in our minds).
As the concept of Gods takes hold. New Gods are created, new Faiths are created. The Greeks believed in multiple Gods. As did the Roman Empire
But the Holy Roman Empire (RC Church) switched to a single God in the 3rd Century AD.
All I'm saying is that, we don't know what sparked the belief in a singular creator God. Our species went from having no concept of God, to believing in functional Gods (Moon, Sun, Rain), to believing in multiple Gods; Zeus, Thor, Venus, Odin, Neptune ertc etc etc, to believing in a single omnipotent God. Then we went and gave that God three names; Allah, God and Jehovah. And still fight over which name is right
Humans are inherently stupid when it comes to being controlled. All it takes is one guy with enough Charisma and Humans will believe anything he says.
I understand what you are inferring (Chariots Of The Gods ) It true to a degree that anyone in ancient times seeing an alien species with advanced technology would naturally presume them to be a God ! But where do they get the original concept from to deem anything or anyone to be a God ?
Creation of the universe itself could not have been made by an extraterrestrial being or society ! They are part of the universe just as we are ! its just not that simple ! We are talking way past even an Extraterrestrial presence !

Fennario

#20518 Jan 29, 2014
rio wrote:
I never said the Qu'ran was trash, and I don't believe it is.
I said it didn't do anything for me, and I stick by that.I wasn't impressed by it.
It is a very esoteric piece of literature and it is difficult to understand what is said in the Sorats. The style is very allegoric. In fact, most of them seem to be incantations or prayers, very difficult to understand - to me at least.
Agreed. I can't find much objective truth or meaning in poetry, just esthetic value. Poetry elicits what's already in the mind of the reader, who supplies meaning to the words according to his own proclivities and disposition. I would expect a deity to communicate in a different way. If the words aren't from a god, they are form ancient men, who have very little to say to me about either moral life or how the world works.
rio wrote:
Maybe that the Qu'ran should be accompanied with explanations. I read it without help, and it was hard for me to finish it, I must confess! Also, the Picktall translation is in old English, which doesn't help. Now, I am told by Muslims that recited in its original language - Arabic- it sounds very poetic and moving.
I like the part about couches.

From Qu'ran Al-Ghashiyah
88:11 Wherein they will hear no unsuitable speech.
88:12 Within it is a flowing spring.
88:13 Within it are couches raised high

Such imagery! I can't live my life according to this kind of thing, but I can enjoy it like I do a poem or song lyrics.
rio wrote:
I remember that a lot of the Qu'ran is about the early struggle of the Mohammed and the Muslims, faced with the opposition of the pagans in Medina, then the attacks from the Jews and the Christians. The early days of Islam in fact.
That's also not too useful, but might be interesting to some. I liked One Thousand and One Nights better, especially "Aladdin's Wonderful Lamp".
trandiode

#20519 Jan 29, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Bollocks.
<quoted text>
Thinking ? And Bollocks is the best you can come up with ? LOL
FredsGhost

Croydon, UK

#20520 Jan 29, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think that?(((Did I ask you to give up your faith?)))
The people I post for apart from myself - I benefit from practicing formulating cogent arguments and thinking about how best to articulate them - are those that can benefit from the thoughts of a skeptic. I don't include the faithful among them.
I wish that I had something to offer Christians as well, but my experience is that they aren't interested in such things.(((They don't trust us unbelievers)))- something about us belonging to devils or hating their god - and they aren't much interested in evidence or argument, just faith. I'm sure that you've noticed that, too.
So after over five years posting on Topix, I no longer harbor any illusion that I can teach a Christian anything, let alone convert one to (((rational skepticism.))) Does that seem reasonable to you?
<quoted text>
(((I don't mind the church being in my psyche.)))
>I have never had a faith to give up!
>They may not trust you, and I can see why!
>What you say isn't rational, you have to believe in something in order to reject it!
>Good for you....!

Fennario

#20521 Jan 29, 2014
FredsGhost wrote:
>I have never had a faith to give up!
I referred to "faith," not "a faith." Faith is a type of thinking that bypasses evidence and reason.
FredsGhost wrote:
>They may not trust you, and I can see why!
This is the kind of thing that makes me think you have faith in a god - instant distrust based on nothing more than my skepticism.
FredsGhost wrote:
>What you say isn't rational, you have to believe in something in order to reject it!
This also sounds like the kind of thing I'm used to from faith based thinkers.
rio

London, UK

#20522 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
There you go - faith, not proof. Your belief is unsupported except by your faith - how you'd like things to be. Muhammad was a primitive man, and a killer. He could do whatever he liked. And we know what men like.
Plus, he was the father of a religion noted for its misogyny.
<quoted text>
From Wiki:
"Traditional sources state that Aisha was married to Muhammad at the age of six, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine, when the marriage was consummated with Muhammad, then 53, in Medina; with the exception of al-Tabari who records that she was ten years old."
<quoted text>
That's no defense.
<quoted text>
That's mighty open minded of you. I agree that moral standards are relative and evolve over time.
I presume that you don't judge modern man by the standards of any ancient system of moral behavior then, correct?
First, I am not Muslim, so anything I say about Islam is from learming about it, not from blind faith.

All societies and all religions at the time of Mohammed were fairly misogynist by today's standards. The place of women in early Islam was quite comparable to the place of women in Christian or Jewish society, don't kid yourself!
Maybe you don't know it, but until after WWII, many countries in Europe didn't even allow women to vote, and it's mostly men-controled institutions who denied women the right to travel, divorce, have contraception or abort until quite recently! And there are even some countries - Western countries that is - where anti-liberals try to roll back all these "concessions" to women.
So don't get too pricky about Islam being a religion noted for its misogyny.!!!
FredsGhost

Croydon, UK

#20523 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
I referred to "faith," not "a faith." Faith is a type of thinking that bypasses evidence and reason.
<quoted text>
This is the kind of thing that makes me think you have faith in a god - instant distrust based on nothing more than my skepticism.
<quoted text>
This also sounds like the kind of thing I'm used to from faith based thinkers.
You just contradicted yourself again, see!

But what would I know, I'm a f''kin Ghost!
trandiode

#20524 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Why is proof necessary? Very little about the past can be proven. We skeptics deal in evidence and rational argument, not proof. And the faithful believe by faith.
What constitutes "Evidence" and what constitutes "Rational Arguments" to you ? Is your "Evidence" and your "Rational Argument " biased in some way ?
Spider

Cambridge, UK

#20525 Jan 29, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Let the dead bury their dead ! There is no Blackness in nothing, There is just nothing, No memories ,No mind to contemplate ! Nothing ! Truly your life was just a total waste of space, energy and time ! Like everyone else, and everything else ! What was the point of the Universe even being ? See how absurd it really is to be an atheist !!!!!
Where did you get the idea that there had to be a point to it all ?? other than what you enjoy here and now,, family and friends,, the child of yours that carries on. Is that not point enough ? You feel you need more ? you consider you deserve more ? you want more ? Why ?
Spider

Cambridge, UK

#20528 Jan 29, 2014
Perhaps the desire for more after death,, is greed.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#20529 Jan 29, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
These extraterrestrial beings came down from the Sky and taught humans to speak, to write, to think, to learn. Perhaps they disappeared as quickly as they appeared to leave humanity with these gifts
And didn't succeeded to give some wisdom to that agressive specie they're supposed to choose to educate.
How can you believe in such a crack ?
rio

London, UK

#20530 Jan 29, 2014
Spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get the idea that there had to be a point to it all ?? other than what you enjoy here and now,, family and friends,, the child of yours that carries on. Is that not point enough ? You feel you need more ? you consider you deserve more ? you want more ? Why ?
But what about people who don't enjoy life here, with family and friends? What about those you spend a life of persecution, of misery, of suffering? What is the point of their lives?
For many people, there is no hope in this life, and it only makes sense if there is a better after-life. If they don't cling to that hope, it would be better for them to end their life now!
And if we cannot improve their quality of life, why can't we "terminate" their sufferings?

There must be more to humanity than just a short lifespan with fate deciding your quality of existence (often dictated by the environment where you were born), with no matter how you live your life, how virtuous you were or not, etc...

The more I hear these atheist theories, the more they look like a gloomy scenario!
rio

London, UK

#20531 Jan 29, 2014
Thinking wrote:
the chance to hand down memories, knowledge and resources doesn't sound too pessimistic too me.
<quoted text>
In the whole of humanity, how many people can do that?
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20532 Jan 29, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong, religions are the source of morality. Otherwise Darwin has already brought humans to the level of beast.
And islam is the morality perfected from all angles.
What have you written is your image which you are seeing in the mirror of Islam.
Actually, you are wrong. Morality didn't come with religion. Morality when humans started to live in bands.

Primitive communism as seen in later hunter-gatherer groups served as the pre-cursor to morality as we see it.

The idea of sharing food, of everyone doing their bit, of respect for elders, of working together was the basis for moral codes.

Morality was corrupted and incorporated into religious dogma at a later date
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20533 Jan 29, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
And didn't succeeded to give some wisdom to that agressive specie they're supposed to choose to educate.
How can you believe in such a crack ?
I don't believe it. Thats not the point.

What i'm saying is that it is equally as preposterous as believing an omnipotent God made the universe. Then made man from the soil and woman from his rib.

Charlie's

#20534 Jan 29, 2014
MUQ wrote:
Why Jesus should provide something ORIGINAL which was not said by earlier prophets? Prophets come to RENEW the same old message which was preached by earlier prophets.
Jesus is supposed to have explained that religious laws should be made to ease men's life, not to impose constraints, as saying that it was no sin for starving men to go in the fields and fetch food on Sabbath day

Charlie's

#20535 Jan 29, 2014
FredsGhost wrote:
Atheism is a belief and you are trying to make people believe as you do 'Preaching'
Calling lack of belief a belief is a deep stupidity

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min New Age Spiritual... 256,119
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 30 min IB DaMann 16,376
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 34 min _Susan_ 20,624
Good arguments against Christianity 34 min Eagle 12 113
A Universe from Nothing? 41 min Eagle 12 99
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr SoE 40,821
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 2 hr par five 4
More from around the web