Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
19,341 - 19,360 of 21,401 Comments Last updated 12 hrs ago
CrimeaRiver

Waterbeach, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Curiously the Aliens are supposed to have helped the Ancients Egyptians to rise Pyramids, the Mayas to have venusian calendars, and so on, thus denying to these peoples having their own genius.
So that I think taht all these Aliens theories mainly made by US citizens are disgustingly racist western point of views.
Should the authors of Alien theories come here and explain us that our cathedrals were built with Aliens' help, these authors would be sent back home covered with tar and feathers.
The difference between Cathedrals and Pyramids is that we know how cathedrals are built. We still build them.

We only question structures that were built 3000+ years ago where we can't understand the reason, the method and the use.

It is more helpful to compare the Pyramids and Stone Henge.

Since: Dec 06

One of Paris nicest district

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
We only question structures that were built 3000+ years ago where we can't understand the reason, the method and the use.
It's because you don't even trust their own testimony engraved on their monuments, do not consider that the River Nile at Aswan had 9 meters level difference bitwin high and low waters allowing to lift up the most heavy weights charged dry on rafts at low waters season, don't believe that they were able to build 100 meters long vessels because you ignore that centuries later the ancient Greeks had built 200 meters long twin-hulls batteships, and that you ignore, as many acheologists, how you can get small iron peebles out of laterite with wood and clay and dare say that ancient Egyptians didn't know iron.

Since: Dec 06

One of Paris nicest district

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

By the way, who knows that the ancient Egyptians used to hunt birds with boomerangs ?
CrimeaRiver

Waterbeach, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because you don't even trust their own testimony engraved on their monuments, do not consider that the River Nile at Aswan had 9 meters level difference bitwin high and low waters allowing to lift up the most heavy weights charged dry on rafts at low waters season, don't believe that they were able to build 100 meters long vessels because you ignore that centuries later the ancient Greeks had built 200 meters long twin-hulls batteships, and that you ignore, as many acheologists, how you can get small iron peebles out of laterite with wood and clay and dare say that ancient Egyptians didn't know iron.
You speak as if I don't give the Egyptians credit for some amazing feats.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that the Egyptians, The Ancient Hindus and The Ancient Chinese had access to knowledge that has been lost to future generations.

In fact, the advent popular religions was the turning point where knowledge was lost. This is especially true for Christians and Muslims who actively sought out new conquests and destroyed all traces of their original belief systems.

The Spanish and Portuguese did this is in Mexico, Sri Lanka, West Indies etc.

The Muslims destroyed ancient universities and archaeological structures. Even up to 2002 when the Taliban in Afghanistan destroyed ancient giant Buddha Statues to erase any traces of Buddhism which thrived in Afghanistan 2000 years ago.

Current religions are the reason why we can't decipher ancient texts and learn from them.
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
What if we break that question down further? in fact, we should look at the whole thing from a different angle.
You say that the probability of Alien intervention is high. In fact, if we compare Alien/UFO sightings over the last 50 years with the number of God sightings. Aliens win handsdown.
So what if, these Alien races that descended upon earth and gave us the power of speech, analytical brains and the desire to conquer everything around us were revered as Gods by our ancestors.
What if our ancestors worshipped the so called sky gods and built myths and legends around them.
What if these myths and legends about sky Gods bringing life to humanity were misinterpreted and twisted into religious laws to control the masses.
What if Kings and Emperors used these laws to give themselves unprecedented powers and to claim that they were appointed by God.
What if various Kings across continents all played that game and created branches and variations of the same religion to control their own people.
What if these various Kindoms and Empires then proceeded to fight each other for centuries to come to prove that their God is the best.
You can see where i'm going with this. That's how easy it is for a fact, to become a legend, to become a myth, to become a dangerous reality again
Religion has been used for personal gain and power and has been a way for a very few to control the masses, by churches kings and Queens ! But that does not rule out a God, It just shows how much some people will use anyone or anything to satisfy their need and lust for materialistic wealth and glory ! You must learn to separate the two ! Ultimately is there a God ? And is man fallible ? I believe there is a God and I believe man is fallible ! And as for Aliens teaching us about a God, you may be right on that too :) which draws me to the conclusion that Ultimately there must be a God behind it all !

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
You could go get a high school equivalent education and thus end up at least able to take part in adult conversations.
AS for you becoming a teacher, never, you're just not smart enough.
Not a public school teacher... but he seems overly qualified to teach in a fundy christian school of indoctrination. One doesn't need to be smart to teach stupidity
CrimeaRiver

Waterbeach, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> And as for Aliens teaching us about a God, you may be right on that too :) which draws me to the conclusion that Ultimately there must be a God behind it all !
I'm not sure if you intentionally misquoted me or misunderstood what i said (if so, I'm sorry)

I didn't say that Aliens taught us about God. I said that Aliens were the Gods

This is all conjecture of course, but so are most theories on God

These extraterrestrial beings came down from the Sky and taught humans to speak, to write, to think, to learn. Perhaps they disappeared as quickly as they appeared to leave humanity with these gifts

These beings would be considered Supreme.

As stories are passed down from generation to generation - these supreme beings may be worshipeed as givers of life.

As all memories of these supreme beings fade, all humans are left with are the stories which they continue to pass on to future generations.

1000 years on and these extra terrestrial supreme beings have morphed into Gods (in our minds).

As the concept of Gods takes hold. New Gods are created, new Faiths are created. The Greeks believed in multiple Gods. As did the Roman Empire

But the Holy Roman Empire (RC Church) switched to a single God in the 3rd Century AD.

All I'm saying is that, we don't know what sparked the belief in a singular creator God. Our species went from having no concept of God, to believing in functional Gods (Moon, Sun, Rain), to believing in multiple Gods; Zeus, Thor, Venus, Odin, Neptune ertc etc etc, to believing in a single omnipotent God. Then we went and gave that God three names; Allah, God and Jehovah. And still fight over which name is right

Humans are inherently stupid when it comes to being controlled. All it takes is one guy with enough Charisma and Humans will believe anything he says.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
But I do not, have not and don't need Jesus in my life to learn from his teachings..... which, if we are to be honest, is no different to Buddhism.

The five precepts of Buddhism teach:

I shall refrain from Killing
I shall refrain from stealing
I shall refrain from sexual misconduct
I shall refrain from Lying
I shall refrain from drink and drugs that caused heedlessness

Here are commandments 6-9:

Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not commit adultery
thou shalt not steal
Thou shalt not lie

Its all the same. I can learn from Jesus without needing to accept him as the son of God and my saviour. You are a crackpot, you don't learn from Christ. You merely repeat phrases that you don't understand. Your whole world is coloured by the fact you believe in a God in the sky and that a mortal man was the son of God. If more God botherers spent more time learning christ's teachings rather than trying to convince themselves of heaven and the afterlife, You might become more reasonable people.
As far as I can tell, there isn't a single idea in the New Testament that I would call a useful contribution to moral theory. I have asked Topix Christians at least a dozen times to provide me with a single example of a moral truth attributed to Jesus in the gospels that is original and is good advice, and none can do it. Those that have tried have offered me ideas like the Golden Rule not realizing that that idea is older than Jesus.

I have identified a handful of ideas that I think were original with Jesus, although I am not certain that somebody else didn't say first, but that I don't consider good moral advice whoever came up with it. The Christians are unable to identify and suggest any of those.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

trandiode wrote:
Evidence of avoidable suffering ? Avoidable ? How do you gauge what is Avoidable, By what criteria do you use ? Are you seeing only a small part of a larger picture, and that is what may probably cause you to have a distorted view ?
All suffering is avoidable if an omniscient, omnipotent creature exists and wishes to prevent it.

One of the comforts of skepticism and unbelief is that the next time a cute little doe-eyed girl dies of leukemia - probably sometime later today - you have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something caused by or allowed to happen by a creature that had the power to prevent it. It diminishes the human spirit to believe that such a creature exists that allows such things to happen and worship it.

There is no larger picture in which causing or allowing gratuitous suffering to occur is moral. Happiness being better than misery is a moral truth of human origin because virtually all human beings agree that it is. Humanistic ethics assumes that the greatest satisfaction for the greatest number as they define satisfaction is the highest moral good, and that this should be pursued because we are compassionate and simply want others to be happy. Furthermore, this is accomplished using reason and empirical methods, trying to identify those principles that facilitate this ideal state, testing them, and tweaking them as necessary.

Accepting a preventable instance of the suffering of a child as possible moral because of the inability to see some imagined big picture is in my estimation an abdication of your moral responsibility.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

trandiode wrote:
Religion has been used for personal gain and power and has been a way for a very few to control the masses, by churches kings and Queens ! But that does not rule out a God
It should serve as a warning to avoid religions and priests, however. Belief in a generic god or race of gods is not a problem per se. Belief in a specific named "God" and the dogma associated with it is.
CrimeaRiver

Waterbeach, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I can tell, there isn't a single idea in the New Testament that I would call a useful contribution to moral theory. I have asked Topix Christians at least a dozen times to provide me with a single example of a moral truth attributed to Jesus in the gospels that is original and is good advice, and none can do it. Those that have tried have offered me ideas like the Golden Rule not realizing that that idea is older than Jesus.
I have identified a handful of ideas that I think were original with Jesus, although I am not certain that somebody else didn't say first, but that I don't consider good moral advice whoever came up with it. The Christians are unable to identify and suggest any of those.
I love the fact that Blasphemy, Graven images and keeping the Sabbath come before lying, stealing, cheating and murder.

But I love this commandment the best because it is so 'out there':

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
CrimeaRiver

Waterbeach, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
All suffering is avoidable if an omniscient, omnipotent creature exists and wishes to prevent it.
One of the comforts of skepticism and unbelief is that the next time a cute little doe-eyed girl dies of leukemia - probably sometime later today - you have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something caused by or allowed to happen by a creature that had the power to prevent it. It diminishes the human spirit to believe that such a creature exists that allows such things to happen and worship it.
There is no larger picture in which causing or allowing gratuitous suffering to occur is moral. Happiness being better than misery is a moral truth of human origin because virtually all human beings agree that it is. Humanistic ethics assumes that the greatest satisfaction for the greatest number as they define satisfaction is the highest moral good, and that this should be pursued because we are compassionate and simply want others to be happy. Furthermore, this is accomplished using reason and empirical methods, trying to identify those principles that facilitate this ideal state, testing them, and tweaking them as necessary.
Accepting a preventable instance of the suffering of a child as possible moral because of the inability to see some imagined big picture is in my estimation an abdication of your moral responsibility.
Maybe a cute innocent doe eyed little girl died cecause one of her ancestors dared to make a graven image

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe a cute innocent doe eyed little girl died cecause one of her ancestors dared to make a graven image
or maybe because her husband-uncle used her innocence to pervertly satisfy his sexual depravity at her expense for he had, after all, paid for the (honor.)
FredsGhost

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Atheists...Some of the worst bloody Preachers out there

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the fact that Blasphemy, Graven images and keeping the Sabbath come before lying, stealing, cheating and murder.
But I love this commandment the best because it is so 'out there':
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
Agreed.

It's rather telling that 40% of the Ten Commandments are about the god, and that they come first. Also, one of the remaining six is to kids telling them to honor their parents, although I'm not sure just what honor means in this context. It certainly isn't throwing them a banquet, or giving them a trophy.

That's why there wasn't room to "command" kindness, justice, courage, loyalty (except to the god), or responsibility.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
Serves her right. What better example of moral behavior could you ask for?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

FredsGhost wrote:
Atheists...Some of the worst bloody Preachers out there
If convincing people to have faith in an unseen god is what defines a good preacher, then I have to agree with you.

The fraction identifying with the church in America has been diminishing steadily since at least 1990, during which time the number rejecting it has more than doubled. Do you blame us, the church, both or neither?
walden

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Religion is the biggest ongoing con in history directly causing 1,000,000s of deaths, rapes, scandals, thefts, murders, degrading acts ect.

Let's face it when you die there's nothing just blackness and nothingness, you have no memory of being alive when you die so what's the point of living and what's the point of religion.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

which way's the wind blowing? nothing to live for? LOOK AROUND. The walking dead,no life, that's you.
FredsGhost

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

<quoted text>
If convincing people to have faith in an unseen god is what defines a good preacher, then I have to agree with you.
The fraction identifying with the church in America has been diminishing steadily since at least 1990, during which time the number rejecting it has more than doubled. Do you blame us, the church, both or neither?
Well the Church is obviously deeply embedded in you psyche, why do you let it do that?
I can't "blame" dumb! I'm just saying you're being hypocritical, Atheism is a belief and you are trying to make people believe as you do 'Preaching'

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••