Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Jim

London, UK

#20381 Jan 25, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>#
There's a difference between bad science(evolution) and good science.
Creationists love to move the goalposts when they've been shown up to be WRONG.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#20382 Jan 25, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
fact, only around 1/7 of the world believe evolution and 1/7 of the world is atheist.
Trends: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/Har... 20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1 353/Default.aspx
http://www.gallup.com/poll/162803/americans-s...
http://www.gallup.com/poll/1690/Religion.aspx
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#20383 Jan 25, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Atheists want proof, But they fail to see what stares them in the face, Atheists use science to undermine a need for a God, But you use science to prove it opens the door for a God they will then ask you why you are using science to prove a God exists ! You then try using Philosophical argument and then they will attack the use of Philosophy on a scientific based problem ! Atheists are the ones who are walking blindly like sheep ! They don't even understand there own reasoning and the misguided scientific nonsense they spout of which they have not a clue on what the science is that they are using is all really about ! No wonder you are Atheists !!!
OK, this guy is clearly trolling.

He just accused everyone on the other side of the argument of displaying the same dumbass characteristics he does.
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#20384 Jan 25, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
fact, only around 1/7 of the world believe evolution and 1/7 of the world is atheist.
LMAO!!!!!!

How dumb do you have to be to believe that?

You're religious, right?
rio

Bromley, UK

#20385 Jan 25, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact: Evolution is a fact and doesn't depend on how many people *believe* in it or not.
Fact: No religious person has evidence of god - they're all liars and they know it - no defence for this fact.
Most reasonable people would accept that evolution is a fact, but evolution in itself doesn't preclude the possibility of creation and therefore of a deity.

"Evolution is the gradual change in the characteristics of living things over successive generations, esp. to a more complex form" from the Oxford Dictionary.

So evolution starts from somewhere, and I want you to tell me where?

Where does it all come from? It's not because you don't know that you can be certain there is no god, some form of intelligence, etc... responsible for the origins.

In this deal, you have 50% of chances of being wrong, and believers 50% chances of being right!

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#20386 Jan 25, 2014
I can read wrote:
You're religious, right?
Thats doesn't matter The facts are: the highest universitary level, the highest trend at religious skepticism
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20387 Jan 25, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>MUQ You Missed my point yet again ! Re Read what I have written ! I am saying what you are saying :)
Truly speaking what scientists should reject are the "Models of God" that different faiths present, not that there is no Creator.

All those who claim "God took human shape and He has Sons and Daughters" and He created Universe in 6 X 24 hours days and night..... they have to answer lot of questions.

But the concept of Creator of Universe presented by Islam and in Quran is free from any criticism and it cannot be either rejected or proved impossible by any science.

PS:

Why did you not define what is science and what is its scope of activity?
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20388 Jan 25, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats doesn't matter The facts are: the highest universitary level, the highest trend at religious skepticism
That is funny, you got anymore one liners ?
trandiode

#20389 Jan 25, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Truly speaking what scientists should reject are the "Models of God" that different faiths present, not that there is no Creator.
All those who claim "God took human shape and He has Sons and Daughters" and He created Universe in 6 X 24 hours days and night..... they have to answer lot of questions.
But the concept of Creator of Universe presented by Islam and in Quran is free from any criticism and it cannot be either rejected or proved impossible by any science.
PS:
Why did you not define what is science and what is its scope of activity?
What scientists should do , is state the obvious and concede there is a God ! Then we can have a debate about the different religious aspects !
trandiode

#20390 Jan 25, 2014
So no one can successfully argue against my point about the theory of Evolution being a sign of a divine planner, I take it ! Insults and vague comments are NOT real arguments they are just a sign of naivety !
trandiode

#20391 Jan 25, 2014
just trying to get it to the 20k mark :)
trandiode

#20392 Jan 25, 2014
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Einstein is probably the best known and most highly revered scientist of the twentieth century, and is associated with major revolutions in our thinking about time, gravity, and the conversion of matter to energy (E=mc2). Although never coming to belief in a personal God, he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. The Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." Einstein's famous epithet on the "uncertainty principle" was "God does not play dice" - and to him this was a real statement about a God in whom he believed. A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20393 Jan 25, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> What scientists should do , is state the obvious and concede there is a God ! Then we can have a debate about the different religious aspects !
You are very right, either Scientists should recognize the existence of a Creator of the Universe or should remain aloof from this debate.

Since science has a "Limited Scope", it cannot be made a "Judge" in these matters.

That is what True Scientists were doing all these days.

And as you said, the real debate is not about Existence of Creator, but the MODELS that many existing religions present.
Thinking

Aberdeen, UK

#20394 Jan 26, 2014
Religion doesn't get to set the limits as to where the scientific method can be applied.

At least not in first world countries.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very right, either Scientists should recognize the existence of a Creator of the Universe or should remain aloof from this debate.
Since science has a "Limited Scope", it cannot be made a "Judge" in these matters.
That is what True Scientists were doing all these days.
And as you said, the real debate is not about Existence of Creator, but the MODELS that many existing religions present.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#20395 Jan 26, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Einstein is probably the best known and most highly revered scientist of the twentieth century, and is associated with major revolutions in our thinking about time, gravity, and the conversion of matter to energy (E=mc2). Although never coming to belief in a personal God, he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. The Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." Einstein's famous epithet on the "uncertainty principle" was "God does not play dice" - and to him this was a real statement about a God in whom he believed. A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

-- Albert Einstein

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.
Jim

London, UK

#20396 Jan 26, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Most reasonable people would accept that evolution is a fact, but evolution in itself doesn't preclude the possibility of creation and therefore of a deity.
"Evolution is the gradual change in the characteristics of living things over successive generations, esp. to a more complex form" from the Oxford Dictionary.
So evolution starts from somewhere, and I want you to tell me where?
Where does it all come from? It's not because you don't know that you can be certain there is no god, some form of intelligence, etc... responsible for the origins.
In this deal, you have 50% of chances of being wrong, and believers 50% chances of being right!
Complete rubbish - there's no such thing as god, its 100%

You religious liars have no evidence of god, since the beginning of recorded history.

Evolution is proven and continues to be proven, not a single piece of evidence against it.

Stupidity is no excuse for arguing back. You need to sit down and accept reality, Creationist Cult Member.
Jim

London, UK

#20397 Jan 26, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> What scientists should do , is state the obvious and concede there is a God ! Then we can have a debate about the different religious aspects !
There's no such thing as god so scientists won't go to your level and lie about reality like your cult tried to.
trandiode

#20398 Jan 26, 2014
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
-- Albert Einstein
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.
Of course you do realize that Einstein was making it clear he did not believe in a PERSONAL God, However he did believe there was a God involved in creation ! A God is a God Personal or not !
trandiode

#20399 Jan 26, 2014
Here is another thought come to mind , I know that all Atheists will quickly jump up and say, we don't need a Bible or God to tell us not to Murder or Steal etc etc ! That is true ! you are born already knowing it ! WHY ?
trandiode

#20400 Jan 26, 2014
The Human Body after death, feeds and nourishes while it decays, During the process of Death it is still creating Life and so that life creates other life ad infinitum ! Its the circle of life ! Everything in existence works under this principle ! What happens to the Mind/soul of a person after physical Death ? Does that disobey the principle or does it live on ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? 27 min superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 30 min superwilly 462
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Subduction Zone 28,568
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Aura Mytha 67,023
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 6 hr Dogen 3,501
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web