Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Thinking

Aberdeen, UK

#20321 Jan 24, 2014
What's the difference between god and Dark Matter?

You can measure the effect of Dark Matter.
DonPanic wrote:
I like very much this story.
As the most renowned scientist set the equation proving undiscutably the existence of God, He appeared to him and told, "now you found Me, your turn to hide"

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#20322 Jan 24, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Belief in god is a fantasy.
<quoted text>
Why you even write this comment.

First, this comment is a lie and second, what real effect does it make.
Thinking

Aberdeen, UK

#20323 Jan 24, 2014
Two days ago you said you would not respond to me.

You are the liar.
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Why you even write this comment.
First, this comment is a lie and second, what real effect does it make.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20324 Jan 24, 2014
'Nothingness' Prove there is God? nothingness compared to Something, Someone, Somebody. Father, Son, HolySpirit That IS. We are! We breathe, we live, we are something, someone and somebodies, here on earth, and we are not ALONE. Perfection, the universe or the universes are running perfectly in TIME Limited time is ours, we have a mission, we have, or should have, a GOAL. Nothingness is not a goal, it is what it is, a void, an empty space, no goal, no future, no past, no present. NOTHING. That is not me, I am something, someone, somebody, that's who I am because SOMEBODY, SOMEONE, SOMETHING, CARES, really cares. My mind stands in awe, as somebody looks after me, therefore, I must look after someone else. Who has the Intelligence to figure that? I read, I look, I see. I, myself can and could look after my neighbor. Why? because there IS God who tells me so. LOVE and RESPECT for what we can't see with human eyes. RESPECT and Spiritual LOVE says it all. No question unanswered and YOU and I, UNDERSTAND.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20325 Jan 24, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
'Nothingness' Prove there is God? nothingness compared to Something, Someone, Somebody. Father, Son, HolySpirit That IS. We are! We breathe, we live, we are something, someone and somebodies, here on earth, and we are not ALONE. Perfection, the universe or the universes are running perfectly in TIME Limited time is ours, we have a mission, we have, or should have, a GOAL. Nothingness is not a goal, it is what it is, a void, an empty space, no goal, no future, no past, no present. NOTHING. That is not me, I am something, someone, somebody, that's who I am because SOMEBODY, SOMEONE, SOMETHING, CARES, really cares. My mind stands in awe, as somebody looks after me, therefore, I must look after someone else. Who has the Intelligence to figure that? I read, I look, I see. I, myself can and could look after my neighbor. Why? because there IS God who tells me so. LOVE and RESPECT for what we can't see with human eyes. RESPECT and Spiritual LOVE says it all. No question unanswered and YOU and I, UNDERSTAND.
Mathematically Zero represents nothing. It has an empirical value which is nothing. So nothing is nothing.

Can you tell me why older civilisations believed in multiple Gods. The idea of a single God is only a couple of thousand years old

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#20326 Jan 24, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
LOL! You write like preachers speak. Endless volumes of word salad that, in the end, really says nothing at all. But, to the mindless sheeple of the world, your use of a lot of words sounds to them like you're saying something "profound"... even though you're actually saying nothing at all

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#20327 Jan 24, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
If to respect and love other humans or perform a goal or a mission in yoor life you need a God to tell you what to do, you're just childish. Grow up a bit.
rio

Bromley, UK

#20328 Jan 24, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
If to respect and love other humans or perform a goal or a mission in yoor life you need a God to tell you what to do, you're just childish. Grow up a bit.
Yes, you are always right and everybody else is always wrong.

Can't you grow up a bit too?

Your tirades are becoming tiresome...

Charlie's

#20329 Jan 24, 2014
rio wrote:
If you're tired by my tirades, go have a rest
Thinking

Aberdeen, UK

#20330 Jan 24, 2014
In the event you believe in a god, does that mean you can't criticise it?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#20331 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Science works under the principle of backward engineering ! Its like if they found a UFO lets say, They have to slowly pull it apart bit by bit and try a work out how one tiny bit of the space craft interacts with another tiny piece and when they find out how that combo functions with each other they have to add another tiny piece to work out how that piece works together with the two previous bits that they acquired, until after a long period of time and testing they might be able to understand just what this tiny piece of the entire space craft is all about ! Each one of those tiny pieces will be given a name and a theory attached, But they will be so far from understanding the spacecraft and how it works, Because not until everything is known about it can you truly understand how it really does work ! Ask the scientists where did it come from ? They would not have the answer ! Ask them who built it ? They would not know, what is its full capabilities ? Once again they would not know ! but what they will know is the small fraction that they have managed to work out , Yes they will have there special little words and names that they gave to every little find that they were able to make But that does not mean they are truly aware of its functionality or its reason to exist ! Only the maker knows that, and only the maker had and has the full knowledge on how to put it all together ! Existence is the same, and its just as tangible and solid as that UFO ! What makes you think that all of existence is known by a few theories and a few discoveries together with some scientific terminology ! That does not constitute a full knowledge of anything, That is just the results you will get when you use backward engineering ! P.S The gaps between solid objects are full not empty :)! You really need to understand the concept of nothingness a bit better, Then you would really understand how implausible the concept really is !:)
Scientists come up with a possible explanation based on facts and reasoning, religious people claim they have a definite explanation for things based on fairy tales and dogma.

It's quite clear only one of those philosophies is based in reality.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#20332 Jan 24, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
This makes the exact same amount of sense as the bible. None.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20333 Jan 24, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You should learn some tolerance. That can't be learnt from religion.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

Speaking of lack of tolerance and understanding....
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/01/19/uk-r...
"....Malaysian police have recommended prominent Catholic priest Lawrence Andrew be charged with sedition for saying churches would keep saying Allah in Selangor,.."
And heaven help any non-believers.

Charlie's

#20334 Jan 24, 2014
EdSed wrote:
Religion = superstition
In the past times where life expectancy wasn't over 35, religions, whose main promise was a post mortem life in some heaven, made hardness of life bearable.

I guess that eager of many to defend an existence of God is that without any almighty God, gone is any hope of heavenly paradise, of resurection of the corpses.

And then men remain with the deseparate return to dust.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20335 Jan 24, 2014
DonPanic, really? NOT EVEN. You don't make sense. Needed God because life was/short and difficult? The promise of a better afterlife kept one going? God's needed NOW and always and, of course, you must Believe! and, naturally, our body turns to dust.It is our soul that counts
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20336 Jan 24, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists come up with a possible explanation based on facts and reasoning, religious people claim they have a definite explanation for things based on fairy tales and dogma.
It's quite clear only one of those philosophies is based in reality.
You have obviously not read what I wrote,or, you have not understood it ! Fairy tales are a separate distinctive issue to that of a God and Science !
trandiode

#20337 Jan 24, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of "unsubstantiated and false unreliable claims"Â…let's try this again.
You insist that it is impossible for something to come from nothing, but refuse to answer the question of where a god might come from.
Why is that?
If there is a God nothing becomes impossible, With science however nothing is a scientific impossibility yet they use it as the answer to the the question of where the big bang initially occurred ! Don't you think that a bit strange ?! Where god came from I know not where ! But I know he is the creator of this entire Universe , what lays beyond is not related to my existence or my reason to be ! You have to stop somewhere, and this is as far as I can go at this moment in time !

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20338 Jan 24, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
DonPanic, really? NOT EVEN. You don't make sense. Needed God because life was/short and difficult? The promise of a better afterlife kept one going? God's needed NOW and always and, of course, you must Believe! and, naturally, our body turns to dust.It is our soul that counts
Why MUST someone believe in something for which there has never been any evidence of existence?
trandiode

#20339 Jan 24, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Why MUST someone believe in something for which there has never been any evidence of existence?
There is evidence and plenty of it, Its all related to the "Effects" That God has created by his being ! Science will determine a planet to be somewhere they cannot visually see by the effects that occur near to where they determine the planet to be ! And so theses same effects are the evidence of a God/Supreme Beings existence !
trandiode

#20340 Jan 24, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Mathematically Zero represents nothing. It has an empirical value which is nothing. So nothing is nothing.
Can you tell me why older civilisations believed in multiple Gods. The idea of a single God is only a couple of thousand years old
When a person is born instinctively they turn to find their mother for sustenance ! When they grow older instinctively they search for a higher being, God does not appear in the Physical world for all to see, So the human searches him out and looks everywhere possible to find what they instinctively know exists, some become lost and confused on the search, Hence the multiple Gods ! Do you not find it amazing that every culture throughout the world has a deity or deities ? No matter how primitive they may be ! Is that coincidence or is there something more and much deeper that intrinsically lies within the human soul/subconscious mind that makes them search for a God ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 min yehoshooah adam 3,775
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Aura Mytha 69,863
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 1 hr The Wheeze of Trump 415
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 2 hr superwilly 12,672
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Into The Night 30,080
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 6 hr superwilly 579
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 hr Eagle 12 258,469
More from around the web