Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

rio

Beckenham, UK

#20290 Jan 23, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
defeated Creationist troll.
Is that aggression really necessary, or is it part an parcel of am atheist militant's panoply?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#20291 Jan 23, 2014
rio wrote:
What do I have to be ashamed of?
You're being pious to eventually deserve heaven looks like presenting someone with a so-called gift in order to get your money back. If He is, such behaviour may be looked at as totally unsincere.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#20292 Jan 23, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
You're being pious to eventually deserve heaven looks like presenting someone with a so-called gift in order to get your money back. If He is, such behaviour may be looked at as totally unsincere.
But who says that I am being pious?

I believe in the probability of a god, I don't worship him/her/it, and I don't belong to any religion.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20293 Jan 23, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes yes and yes. That is the only win / win situation.
If there is a God he will reward you for your services to man.
If there is no God - then you have still helped humanity by making the lives of your neighbours a little bit nicer.
Everyone wins
exactly, there is a God, believe it or not! Accept the better part of living, follow the 10 Commandments if just because IT makes sense.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#20294 Jan 23, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
<quoted text>exactly, there is a God, believe it or not! Accept the better part of living, follow the 10 Commandments if just because IT makes sense.
prove it!
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#20295 Jan 23, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Look around outside of yourself, See the beauty of what is before you From the humble blade of grass tho the Magnificence of the whole universe ! You know you were created by your mother and father, You know how the earth was created, you think you know how our Galaxy was created and even how the universe itself was created ! But you do not want to believe that the whole of all of existence itself was created ! In this instance you would prefer the idea of a nothingness rather than a creator ! Why do the laws of the concept of creating/creation suddenly change in your minds ? Is it really that hard to believe in a creator that created all of what you see ? Nothing creates nothing because it comes from nothing and it is nothing !
So nothing could have created your creator and thus nothing at all exists.

You religious folks really don't do so well at thinking, do you?

Why else would you worship a self important genocidal maniac you think lives in the sky?

Charlie's

#20296 Jan 23, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Look around outside of yourself, See the beauty of what is before you From the humble blade of grass tho the Magnificence of the whole universe !
I suppose that you live in a quite safe country. Beauty of Nature is mainly an occidental concept.
Should one live in a dangerous environment, with wild dangerous predators, snakes whose venom can kill you within minutes, where the humble grass is toxic, where mosquitoes transmit malaria, where clouds of crickets let nothing of all your crop, where an eartquake can slam his house down and kill his beloved, he might believe that, if God created all that, God is very creative inventing torments at men.
Nordic

Mosjøen, Norway

#20297 Jan 23, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
So nothing could have created your creator and thus nothing at all exists.
You religious folks really don't do so well at thinking, do you?
Why else would you worship a self important genocidal maniac you think lives in the sky?
Finally i good post from you!. I thought you love the muslims

Charlie's

#20298 Jan 23, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
there is a God, believe it or not! Accept the better part of living, follow the 10 Commandments if just because IT makes sense.
It's up to me to decide for myself wether God exists or not. Pushing me is the best way you get hate.
And nobody needs 10 commandments to make an harmonious living, one is enough "Act at the other as you wish he acts at yourself"
Thinking

UK

#20299 Jan 23, 2014
Yet you said you actively pretend to believe in god. Sort your story out!
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But who says that I am being pious?
I believe in the probability of a god, I don't worship him/her/it, and I don't belong to any religion.
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#20300 Jan 23, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
People of today need evidence.
Its not enough to simply say God created everything.
Humans can see how Oxygen is created from photosynthesis. 300 years ago there was no concept of it so we assumed that breathable air was a gift from God. We now know that light and CO2 create oxygen as a waste product.
That is a tangible physical discovery. We can see it in action.
If i was to claim that oxygen is created by melting snow at the polar icecaps - you wouldn't believe me because you have seen physical evidence of how o2 is created.
Its the same with God. Christians, Jews and Muslims have attributed many things to God/Jehovah/Allah over the centuries and many of them have been proven wrong
eg:
- Earth at the centre of the universe
- earth being flat
- lightening being sent from God
- going to hell for eating fish on a friday
- gettig 70 virgins in paradise for martyrdom
None of these things is true. So why would we believe in religious Dogma that has been proven wrong so many times.
"Fool me once - shame on you
Fool me twice - shame on me"
Humans have outgrown the need for religious explanations to physical phenomena.
Especially when that explanation relies on us believing in the fantastical notion of an all seeing, all hearing omnipresent God.
You wouldn't believe in a talking pig - so why would you believe in an equally preposterous God that lives in the sky
Science works under the principle of backward engineering ! Its like if they found a UFO lets say, They have to slowly pull it apart bit by bit and try a work out how one tiny bit of the space craft interacts with another tiny piece and when they find out how that combo functions with each other they have to add another tiny piece to work out how that piece works together with the two previous bits that they acquired, until after a long period of time and testing they might be able to understand just what this tiny piece of the entire space craft is all about ! Each one of those tiny pieces will be given a name and a theory attached, But they will be so far from understanding the spacecraft and how it works, Because not until everything is known about it can you truly understand how it really does work ! Ask the scientists where did it come from ? They would not have the answer ! Ask them who built it ? They would not know, what is its full capabilities ? Once again they would not know ! but what they will know is the small fraction that they have managed to work out , Yes they will have there special little words and names that they gave to every little find that they were able to make But that does not mean they are truly aware of its functionality or its reason to exist ! Only the maker knows that, and only the maker had and has the full knowledge on how to put it all together ! Existence is the same, and its just as tangible and solid as that UFO ! What makes you think that all of existence is known by a few theories and a few discoveries together with some scientific terminology ! That does not constitute a full knowledge of anything, That is just the results you will get when you use backward engineering ! P.S The gaps between solid objects are full not empty :)! You really need to understand the concept of nothingness a bit better, Then you would really understand how implausible the concept really is !:)
rio

Beckenham, UK

#20301 Jan 23, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Yet you said you actively pretend to believe in god. Sort your story out!
<quoted text>
My "story" has always been the same.

I believe in the probability of a superior intelligence which was at the origin of the universe.
Under which form, I don't know. I call it a god because I cannot define it any better.

I just don't think the universe came to be spontaneously out of nothing like atheists pretend.

Having said that, I don't worship any god, nor follow any religion.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20302 Jan 23, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in the probability of a superior intelligence which was at the origin of the universe.
Under which form, I don't know. I call it a god because I cannot define it any better.
I just don't think the universe came to be spontaneously out of nothing like atheists pretend.
So where did this superior intelligence/god-thing come from?
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#20303 Jan 23, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So where did this superior intelligence/god-thing come from?
It matters not where a God came from , that is irrelevant at this moment in time ! Science would have you believe that everything came from nothing, That is an impossibility, A god created this universe is far more logical than the theory of nothing, its an easy escape route but a scientific impossibility ! There is a divine intelligence at work its effects are everywhere, This was not an accident ! And it was not an accident that life was formed, Everything has its place and everything has its reason ! Nothingness has no place and absolutely no reason, its not a scientific theory its a rejection of everything science knows ! God opens the door to something more about our existence something greater than you can even try to imagine ! Nothing slams the door right in your face !
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20304 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> It matters not where a God came from , that is irrelevant at this moment in time ! Science would have you believe that everything came from nothing, That is an impossibility, A god created this universe is far more logical than the theory of nothing, its an easy escape route but a scientific impossibility ! There is a divine intelligence at work its effects are everywhere, This was not an accident ! And it was not an accident that life was formed, Everything has its place and everything has its reason ! Nothingness has no place and absolutely no reason, its not a scientific theory its a rejection of everything science knows ! God opens the door to something more about our existence something greater than you can even try to imagine ! Nothing slams the door right in your face !
Why existence of God is a scientific impossibility? That is the Most Non Scientific statement that any one could make.

I did not expect that from you?

First define what is Science, then we will see how you made that foolish claim that "existence of God is a scientific impossibility".

It is even worse than a child's prattle!!
Thinking

UK

#20305 Jan 24, 2014
But you said believing in this undefined god - but not worshipping it - yields a benefit.

Why?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

UK

#20306 Jan 24, 2014
Straw man.
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> It matters not where a God came from , that is irrelevant at this moment in time ! Science would have you believe that everything came from nothing, That is an impossibility, A god created this universe is far more logical than the theory of nothing, its an easy escape route but a scientific impossibility ! There is a divine intelligence at work its effects are everywhere, This was not an accident ! And it was not an accident that life was formed, Everything has its place and everything has its reason ! Nothingness has no place and absolutely no reason, its not a scientific theory its a rejection of everything science knows ! God opens the door to something more about our existence something greater than you can even try to imagine ! Nothing slams the door right in your face !
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#20307 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
You assume that all Atheists believe in the BigBang, in fact you assume that all scientists believe in the BigBang. The BigBang is not a fact, it is merely the best explanation presented at this time. We can't possibly know how the universe was created. Perhaps we never will.

But that doesn't mean I have to believe that a Bearded God who lives in the clouds created everything. I could equally claim that an all knowing Hamster with wings and a monkey tail created everything.

It simply doesn't make sense, but we are raised to belive there is a God and many of us can't stand back and look at how silly we must appear to anyone looking in from the outside.

For pete's sake, half a billion people go to church on Sunday to drink and eat the blood and flesh of christ.
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#20308 Jan 24, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume that all Atheists believe in the BigBang, in fact you assume that all scientists believe in the BigBang. The BigBang is not a fact, it is merely the best explanation presented at this time. We can't possibly know how the universe was created. Perhaps we never will.
But that doesn't mean I have to believe that a Bearded God who lives in the clouds created everything. I could equally claim that an all knowing Hamster with wings and a monkey tail created everything.
It simply doesn't make sense, but we are raised to belive there is a God and many of us can't stand back and look at how silly we must appear to anyone looking in from the outside.
For pete's sake, half a billion people go to church on Sunday to drink and eat the blood and flesh of christ.
You assume much ! Where did I say God is bearded or lives in clouds ? I do not believe I am eating the Physical blood and flesh of Jesus ! And as for the big bang theory it has been the cornerstone of scientific belief for a long long time ! I appreciate that there are other theories such as the "String Theory" ! But what I am concentrating on is the most widely accepted theory ! By the way The string theory works very well in fact one may say better than the "Big Bang Theory' for a God to be the ultimate creator !
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#20309 Jan 24, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why existence of God is a scientific impossibility? That is the Most Non Scientific statement that any one could make.
I did not expect that from you?
First define what is Science, then we will see how you made that foolish claim that "existence of God is a scientific impossibility".
It is even worse than a child's prattle!!
MUQ you have misinterpreted what I have written because of the slight language barrier between us, What I was inferring is that The existence of a nothingness is a scientific impossibility and that God was therefore the creator !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 18 min Liam R 9,136
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Uncle Sam 242,936
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Brian_G 19,732
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 7 hr Thinking 15
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 19 hr DanFromSmithville 6,157
Atheists have morals too! Sun par five 3
News Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion Sun QUITTNER Jne 28 2015 53
More from around the web