Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

rio

Bromley, UK

#20301 Jan 23, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Yet you said you actively pretend to believe in god. Sort your story out!
<quoted text>
My "story" has always been the same.

I believe in the probability of a superior intelligence which was at the origin of the universe.
Under which form, I don't know. I call it a god because I cannot define it any better.

I just don't think the universe came to be spontaneously out of nothing like atheists pretend.

Having said that, I don't worship any god, nor follow any religion.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20302 Jan 23, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in the probability of a superior intelligence which was at the origin of the universe.
Under which form, I don't know. I call it a god because I cannot define it any better.
I just don't think the universe came to be spontaneously out of nothing like atheists pretend.
So where did this superior intelligence/god-thing come from?
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20303 Jan 23, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So where did this superior intelligence/god-thing come from?
It matters not where a God came from , that is irrelevant at this moment in time ! Science would have you believe that everything came from nothing, That is an impossibility, A god created this universe is far more logical than the theory of nothing, its an easy escape route but a scientific impossibility ! There is a divine intelligence at work its effects are everywhere, This was not an accident ! And it was not an accident that life was formed, Everything has its place and everything has its reason ! Nothingness has no place and absolutely no reason, its not a scientific theory its a rejection of everything science knows ! God opens the door to something more about our existence something greater than you can even try to imagine ! Nothing slams the door right in your face !
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20304 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> It matters not where a God came from , that is irrelevant at this moment in time ! Science would have you believe that everything came from nothing, That is an impossibility, A god created this universe is far more logical than the theory of nothing, its an easy escape route but a scientific impossibility ! There is a divine intelligence at work its effects are everywhere, This was not an accident ! And it was not an accident that life was formed, Everything has its place and everything has its reason ! Nothingness has no place and absolutely no reason, its not a scientific theory its a rejection of everything science knows ! God opens the door to something more about our existence something greater than you can even try to imagine ! Nothing slams the door right in your face !
Why existence of God is a scientific impossibility? That is the Most Non Scientific statement that any one could make.

I did not expect that from you?

First define what is Science, then we will see how you made that foolish claim that "existence of God is a scientific impossibility".

It is even worse than a child's prattle!!
Thinking

Aberdeen, UK

#20305 Jan 24, 2014
But you said believing in this undefined god - but not worshipping it - yields a benefit.

Why?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Aberdeen, UK

#20306 Jan 24, 2014
Straw man.
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> It matters not where a God came from , that is irrelevant at this moment in time ! Science would have you believe that everything came from nothing, That is an impossibility, A god created this universe is far more logical than the theory of nothing, its an easy escape route but a scientific impossibility ! There is a divine intelligence at work its effects are everywhere, This was not an accident ! And it was not an accident that life was formed, Everything has its place and everything has its reason ! Nothingness has no place and absolutely no reason, its not a scientific theory its a rejection of everything science knows ! God opens the door to something more about our existence something greater than you can even try to imagine ! Nothing slams the door right in your face !
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20307 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
You assume that all Atheists believe in the BigBang, in fact you assume that all scientists believe in the BigBang. The BigBang is not a fact, it is merely the best explanation presented at this time. We can't possibly know how the universe was created. Perhaps we never will.

But that doesn't mean I have to believe that a Bearded God who lives in the clouds created everything. I could equally claim that an all knowing Hamster with wings and a monkey tail created everything.

It simply doesn't make sense, but we are raised to belive there is a God and many of us can't stand back and look at how silly we must appear to anyone looking in from the outside.

For pete's sake, half a billion people go to church on Sunday to drink and eat the blood and flesh of christ.
trandiode

#20308 Jan 24, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume that all Atheists believe in the BigBang, in fact you assume that all scientists believe in the BigBang. The BigBang is not a fact, it is merely the best explanation presented at this time. We can't possibly know how the universe was created. Perhaps we never will.
But that doesn't mean I have to believe that a Bearded God who lives in the clouds created everything. I could equally claim that an all knowing Hamster with wings and a monkey tail created everything.
It simply doesn't make sense, but we are raised to belive there is a God and many of us can't stand back and look at how silly we must appear to anyone looking in from the outside.
For pete's sake, half a billion people go to church on Sunday to drink and eat the blood and flesh of christ.
You assume much ! Where did I say God is bearded or lives in clouds ? I do not believe I am eating the Physical blood and flesh of Jesus ! And as for the big bang theory it has been the cornerstone of scientific belief for a long long time ! I appreciate that there are other theories such as the "String Theory" ! But what I am concentrating on is the most widely accepted theory ! By the way The string theory works very well in fact one may say better than the "Big Bang Theory' for a God to be the ultimate creator !
trandiode

#20309 Jan 24, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why existence of God is a scientific impossibility? That is the Most Non Scientific statement that any one could make.
First define what is Science, then we will see how you made that foolish claim that "existence of God is a scientific impossibility".
It is even worse than a child's prattle!!
MUQ you have misinterpreted what I have written because of the slight language barrier between us, What I was inferring is that The existence of a nothingness is a scientific impossibility and that God was therefore the creator !
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20310 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> You assume much ! Where did I say God is bearded or lives in clouds ? I do not believe I am eating the Physical blood and flesh of Jesus ! And as for the big bang theory it has been the cornerstone of scientific belief for a long long time ! I appreciate that there are other theories such as the "String Theory" ! But what I am concentrating on is the most widely accepted theory ! By the way The string theory works very well in fact one may say better than the "Big Bang Theory' for a God to be the ultimate creator !
I find the concept of any God hard to swallow. But the idea that God would choose one group of people over another because they attend service on a particular day is what I find most preposterous.
trandiode

#20311 Jan 24, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I find the concept of any God hard to swallow. But the idea that God would choose one group of people over another because they attend service on a particular day is what I find most preposterous.
You find it preposterous because it is preposterous !

Location hidden

#20312 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
LOL…just to be clear….you insist that it is impossible for something to come from nothing but when asked where god came from your answer is

"It matter not where a God came from"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Next?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#20313 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
It matters not where a God came from , that is irrelevant at this moment in time ! Science would have you believe that everything came from nothing, That is an impossibility,
Science has no anwser where Universe came from, science can't answer wether Universe has limits or not, science just suppose that our Universe was born from a bowl of energy.
All "before Big-Bang" theories are just speculations
trandiode wrote:
There is a divine intelligence at work its effects are everywhere, This was not an accident ! And it was not an accident that life was formed, Everything has its place and everything has its reason ! Nothingness has no place and absolutely no reason, its not a scientific theory its a rejection of everything science knows ! God opens the door to something more about our existence something greater than you can even try to imagine !
This is as speculative as any before "big bang theories". All I see is that you want to impose your point of view
trandiode wrote:
Nothing slams the door right in your face !
Except for you and all of the believers who want to impose their point of view to the others.
trandiode

#20314 Jan 24, 2014
My intention is to show that the belief in a God is not one of fantasy and that there are many reasons scientific and otherwise that even support the idea ! And that science has not ruled out the possibility of a God ! I do not go into individual religious belief systems as that defers from my intentions ! The belief that there is a possibility of a God comes well before religious man made doctrine ! All I ask is to have an open mind and not to be swayed by unsubstantiated and false unreliable claims !

Charlie's

#20315 Jan 24, 2014
MUQ wrote:
Well, God is the ultimate explanation when you can't understand things or events
trandiode

#20316 Jan 24, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL…just to be clear….you insist that it is impossible for something to come from nothing but when asked where god came from your answer is
"It matter not where a God came from"
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Next?
Because it doesn't ! God is the next step up the ladder after that who knows ! At least its something which is far better than a nothing ! You have nowhere left to go but my belief in a God gives me scope for a far better outcome than just a nothingness !:)

Location hidden

#20317 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
My intention is to show that the belief in a God is not one of fantasy and that there are many reasons scientific and otherwise that even support the idea ! And that science has not ruled out the possibility of a God ! I do not go into individual religious belief systems as that defers from my intentions ! The belief that there is a possibility of a God comes well before religious man made doctrine ! All I ask is to have an open mind and not to be swayed by unsubstantiated and false unreliable claims !
Speaking of "unsubstantiated and false unreliable claims"…let's try this again.

You insist that it is impossible for something to come from nothing, but refuse to answer the question of where a god might come from.

Why is that?

Charlie's

#20318 Jan 24, 2014
I like very much this story.
As the most renowned scientist set the equation proving undiscutably the existence of God, He appeared to him and told, "now you found Me, your turn to hide"

Charlie's

#20319 Jan 24, 2014
trandiode wrote:
So what ? admitting God's existence will make Him an ordinary subjet of scientific investigations
Thinking

Aberdeen, UK

#20320 Jan 24, 2014
Belief in god is a fantasy.
trandiode wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min IB DaMann 70,118
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Subduction Zone 30,131
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 6 hr Evilgelicalling 460
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 7 hr Dogen 3,786
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr superwilly 258,471
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 16 hr Eagle 12 12,674
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) Wed superwilly 579
More from around the web