Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,565

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20250 Jan 22, 2014
SUPPOSE only suppose, that you are (right), what if on your death you find ou you were WRONG all along? Destiny takes YOU somewhere and NOW's the time to choose. Be on the RIGHT (God's) side.

Hatch, NM

#20251 Jan 22, 2014
'Test' because God Almighty does not Wish to read our human mind and intelligence. HE Knows, we don't. Prove our human loyalty to God is what He looks for. We are humans, HE IS!
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#20252 Jan 22, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
SUPPOSE only suppose, that you are (right), what if on your death you find ou you were WRONG all along? Destiny takes YOU somewhere and NOW's the time to choose. Be on the RIGHT (God's) side.
And lets suppose that you are wrong. Will you feel you have wasted your life believing in a fairy tale written by greedy men.

The concept of God is the same as CCTV. You are convinced that you are being watched constantly and so try to behave.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#20253 Jan 22, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
And lets suppose that you are wrong. Will you feel you have wasted your life believing in a fairy tale written by greedy men.
The concept of God is the same as CCTV. You are convinced that you are being watched constantly and so try to behave.
And supposed he is proven right, and all atheists suddenly realise their mistake after death?

Believing in God is some sort of insurance. If he exists, you are OK. If he doesn't exist, no big deal, you have followed a pious life.

To me, believing in God is a win-win situation.
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

#20254 Jan 22, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
And supposed he is proven right, and all atheists suddenly realise their mistake after death?
Believing in God is some sort of insurance. If he exists, you are OK. If he doesn't exist, no big deal, you have followed a pious life.
But surely God (if he exists) is compassionate and Jesus is Forgiving.

So if I'm wrong and I die but haven't accepted Christ Then I expect God and Jesus to forgive my sins and let me into heaven anyway.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#20255 Jan 22, 2014
There may be a god that better rewards non believers than sycophants.

You can't disprove this.

[Any attempt to use Pascal's wager is flawed because there may be other solutions]
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#20256 Jan 22, 2014
rio posts more like a muslim. But I agree with your post.
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I'm wrong and I die but haven't accepted Christ Then I expect God and Jesus to forgive my sins and let me into heaven anyway.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#20257 Jan 22, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Why always make reference to Jesus when talking about God?

Most believers aren't Christians. Jews and Muslims don't believe in Jesus. Neither do many other religions.

Bringing down the conversation to Jesus only eliminate the billions of believers who have faith in a god.

“The holy experience”

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#20258 Jan 22, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Why always make reference to Jesus when talking about God?
Most believers aren't Christians. Jews and Muslims don't believe in Jesus. Neither do many other religions.
Bringing down the conversation to Jesus only eliminate the billions of believers who have faith in a god.
It is actually necessary to have a skeptical look on the religious Gods as they are the ones that most of atheists protest against.We need to eliminate the different possibilities of God and zero in on strong possibilities
And why do you think belief in God is necessary?I don't see there is any point in believing God as there is no evidence furnished by anyone favouring the possibility of the existence of God.
Even if one wants to believe in God as then whose God should one believe?
If you believe in Christian Trinity and Allah turns out be a true superbeing then you'll be punished by Allah.And if you've been worshipping Allah and Christian God turns out to be true still you will be chastised in hell.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20259 Jan 22, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
Are you really suggesting that people embrace god "just in case"?

Wow…

Since: Jan 14

UK

#20260 Jan 22, 2014
What will we do with the vast corpus of past religious thought and what will do with our social faith for a life outside of ourselves in 2038?

Since: Jan 14

UK

#20261 Jan 22, 2014
What will we do with the heavy corpus of past religious thought and what will we do to keep our social sense of faith in 2039?

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#20262 Jan 22, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
WRong, you have to ask for forgiveness and must accept god, even if god is compassionate
rio

Beckenham, UK

#20263 Jan 22, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>

And why do you think belief in God is necessary?

If you believe in Christian Trinity and Allah turns out be a true superbeing then you'll be punished by Allah.And if you've been worshipping Allah and Christian God turns out to be true still you will be chastised in hell.
I never said it was "necessary", I just said it was a safe bet. It is for me anyway.

Regarding the Abrahamic religions; they believed in the same God, initially.
Even if they have built different dogmas, different religious structures around them, they worship the same God.

Judaism was first, then after came Christianity, originally a derivative of it, a revised version.
After several century of Christianity, the Church in Rome altered the dogma to introduce the principle of Trinity - a God in 3 persons. That was a departure from monotheism, which many rejected.
Mohamed came a few centuries later and launched a purer version of the Judeo-Christian religion. Islam was created among a people divided between pagans, Jews and Christians all co-habiting in the Middle east. It is a new chapter in what is essentially the same common belief.
Jesus is just another prophet for Muslims, and not the "son of God". The human deity is rejected by Muslims, just like it was by Jews.
Believing in Jesus as a god is heresy for Jews and Muslims alike.

But it's the same God. The Qu'ran makes reference to the Bible, the Torah, Jews and Christians in almost every chapter, almost on every page!

Hatch, NM

#20264 Jan 22, 2014
'being watched constantly'? I am an adult, a Christ follower, I, independently will act as my conscience dictates. FAITH has stronger delicate power to me. Superstition? that's evil and not in me. STAY away, satan!.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#20265 Jan 22, 2014
What compassion?

According to your bible, your god is still abusing generations of children yet unborn for something that happened thousands of years ago.

Your god needs to grow up.
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
WRong, you have to ask for forgiveness and must accept god, even if god is compassionate
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#20266 Jan 22, 2014
"Belief is a safe bet" is flawed for the same reason Pascal's wager is flawed.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was "necessary", I just said it was a safe bet. It is for me anyway.
Regarding the Abrahamic religions; they believed in the same God, initially.
Even if they have built different dogmas, different religious structures around them, they worship the same God.
Judaism was first, then after came Christianity, originally a derivative of it, a revised version.
After several century of Christianity, the Church in Rome altered the dogma to introduce the principle of Trinity - a God in 3 persons. That was a departure from monotheism, which many rejected.
Mohamed came a few centuries later and launched a purer version of the Judeo-Christian religion. Islam was created among a people divided between pagans, Jews and Christians all co-habiting in the Middle east. It is a new chapter in what is essentially the same common belief.
Jesus is just another prophet for Muslims, and not the "son of God". The human deity is rejected by Muslims, just like it was by Jews.
Believing in Jesus as a god is heresy for Jews and Muslims alike.
But it's the same God. The Qu'ran makes reference to the Bible, the Torah, Jews and Christians in almost every chapter, almost on every page!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20267 Jan 22, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
'being watched constantly'? I am an adult, a Christ follower, I, independently will act as my conscience dictates. FAITH has stronger delicate power to me. Superstition? that's evil and not in me. STAY away, satan!.
Simmer down, Church Lady.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#20268 Jan 22, 2014
Thinking wrote:
"Belief is a safe bet" is flawed for the same reason Pascal's wager is flawed.
<quoted text>
I cannot see Pascal's wager being flawed in any way.

It works for me, and I am not trying to convince you of anything.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#20269 Jan 22, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Simmer down, Church Lady.
I have a feeling even her fellow church-goers roll their eyes and try to avoid her when they see her coming

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min thetruth 235,646
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Denisova 16,719
The Consequences of Atheism 29 min Thinking 759
Is Religion Childish? 37 min Cujo 140
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr ChristineM 4,806
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 hr ChristineM 6,034
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 7 hr ChristineM 3,036
More from around the web