Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#20217 Jan 16, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
<quoted text> REPENT! repentance of having committed atrocious deeds against our neighbor and sometimes against ourselves. Going back to Adam and Eve, they had EVERYTHING but still the Nero complex was there and A & E wanted to be like gods Eve invited Adam to participate in disobeying God's order and following a LIE from the serpent. TRUE STORY. Time passed and the Israelites became the specially Chosen People. Not fair, so, then Jesus, the Christ came to solve the matter, to bring Divine Equality to everyone who belongs to the human race. Equality? uh? men and women, same opportunities? Jesus, conceived by the Holy spirit, born of the Chosen Virgin, lived a perfect life, told it like it should be and, as happens all the time,POLITICS, got in the picture. Who gives the best example to the Roman bosses of fealty? Jesus was crucified like a common criminal but HE yet lives as proven by the billions of Christian followers. HE LIVES! His atonement is his Death and yet HE LIVES. Your mind explodes when you realize that as a man as a woman you can reach HIM as we continue in this life and look forward to our REWARD once we get to Him after our death. This story is reasonable enough as we have our minds, our hearts. You can touch LOVE. you feel happiness. Want more? ASK
Please tell me you never operate heavy machinery.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#20218 Jan 16, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
<quoted text> REPENT! repentance of having committed atrocious deeds against our neighbor and sometimes against ourselves. Going back to Adam and Eve, they had EVERYTHING but still the Nero complex was there and A & E wanted to be like gods Eve invited Adam to participate in disobeying God's order and following a LIE from the serpent. TRUE STORY. Time passed and the Israelites became the specially Chosen People. Not fair, so, then Jesus, the Christ came to solve the matter, to bring Divine Equality to everyone who belongs to the human race. Equality? uh? men and women, same opportunities? Jesus, conceived by the Holy spirit, born of the Chosen Virgin, lived a perfect life, told it like it should be and, as happens all the time,POLITICS, got in the picture. Who gives the best example to the Roman bosses of fealty? Jesus was crucified like a common criminal but HE yet lives as proven by the billions of Christian followers. HE LIVES! His atonement is his Death and yet HE LIVES. Your mind explodes when you realize that as a man as a woman you can reach HIM as we continue in this life and look forward to our REWARD once we get to Him after our death. This story is reasonable enough as we have our minds, our hearts. You can touch LOVE. you feel happiness. Want more? ASK
Wow.... I'd bet money that you were rocking back-and-forth, twitching, and drooling heavily while you typed that
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20219 Jan 16, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
You are obviously a person of faith and that is nice for you.

But you are simply repeating phrases that still don't make sense.

For example, you reference Adam and Eve. The serpent tempted Eve who disobeyed God and ate of the Tree of Knowledge.

If i had to translate that parible I would deduce that the Bible forbids humans to learn and to ask questions.

I would also deduce that the Serpent walked on legs like a human. For when God punished the Serpent he made him 'crawl on his belly from this day forth'

And while we might revere Jesus now. He was a common criminal in his time.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20221 Jan 18, 2014
trandiode wrote:
He was the last sacrifice ! In ancient times people believed that sickness, accidents even death was caused by sin, so they sacrificed anything and everything they could even their own children to appease their gods /or God !

Through God Jesus took that belief and threw it away by being crucified himself ( A Lamb), And showed by his actions and deeds throughout his physical existence that everlasting life is what exists after the physical life for everyone sinners included ! and that sickness, accidents, starvation were not caused by God trying to make you pay for a sin but are part of the learning experience of your soul being in a physical reality preparing for the spiritual in everlasting life !

So he "Died and Suffered" for your sins !
Ans.

This still does not explain, how Jesus' sacrifice would dissolve all the sins of human race.

You started with the beliefs of "ancient times"….was that belief true or false?

Then you accepted "as a matter of fact that Jesus was God"…. This is not correct.

Then you said that Jesus "willingly" agreed to die….this is not true.

He was crucified "against his wishes"… it was never a voluntary decision!!

Your post does not explain the basic issue, how can dieing and suffering by someone else pays the price for sin you commit.

Please try again and this time, instead of repeating "Standard Church statements" think and put your own explanations into it.

May God Help you and assist you. Amen
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20222 Jan 18, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously a person of faith and that is nice for you.
But you are simply repeating phrases that still don't make sense.
For example, you reference Adam and Eve. The serpent tempted Eve who disobeyed God and ate of the Tree of Knowledge.
If i had to translate that parible I would deduce that the Bible forbids humans to learn and to ask questions.
I would also deduce that the Serpent walked on legs like a human. For when God punished the Serpent he made him 'crawl on his belly from this day forth'
And while we might revere Jesus now. He was a common criminal in his time.
Please do not call Jesus Common Criminal in his time, what crime did he commit?

You should maintain decency of debate.

Questioning Bible and whether snake walked on legs is one thing, but laying false charges of jesus is another thing.

Be logical and reasonable, this is my advice.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20223 Jan 19, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not call Jesus Common Criminal in his time, what crime did he commit?....
Only legends tell us. It appears someone called Jesus was executed by the state as a common criminal. You should maintain decency in debate, Muq, and respect the facts. You should be logical and reasonable is my advice.

How about showing us that by an unreserved condemnation of the attack on Malala Yousefai?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Questioning Bible and whether snake walked on legs is one thing, but laying false charges of jesus is another thing.
It would help if you would take your own advice.

Islam cannot even withstand cartoons....
http://www.jesusandmo.net/

People should respect freedom of speech and expression and accept that religion is as open to criticism as anything else in life.
Spider

Ely, UK

#20224 Jan 19, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Only legends tell us. It appears someone called Jesus was executed by the state as a common criminal. You should maintain decency in debate, Muq, and respect the facts. You should be logical and reasonable is my advice.
How about showing us that by an unreserved condemnation of the attack on Malala Yousefai?
<quoted text>It would help if you would take your own advice.
People should respect freedom of speech and expression and accept that religion is as open to criticism as anything else in life.
Thanks for the link Ed,,, funny and true.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20225 Jan 19, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Only legends tell us. It appears someone called Jesus was executed by the state as a common criminal. You should maintain decency in debate, Muq, and respect the facts. You should be logical and reasonable is my advice.
<quoted text>It would help if you would take your own advice.
So many innocent people have been killed and crucified as a "petty criminal". That does not mean that they were "petty criminals".

We use these phrases, when people get very high and claim Jesus was God and he created every thing in this universe..... to prick that bubble we say, how come the God of this universe was executed like a petty criminal by his enemies?

We do not take in literal sense and we do not say that Jesus was a petty criminal, God Forbid.

He was one of the mightiest messengers of God, born of a special miracle without any male intervention, God gave him so many signs and miracles.... he came to his people to modify their religion which had become too much ritualistic and the spiritualism was gone.

He preached and taught and tried his best to call his people to right path, but they did not heed to his words and became his enemy and even tried to kill him.

But God almighty took him to up to heavens bodily before his enemies could capture him....and he will return from heavens to this world near to the end of time.

Such Was Jesus Christ, Son of Mary and one of the mightiest messenger of God. May peace and mercy of God be on to Jesus and all prophets and messengers of God. Amen

PS:

And then rose St. Paul, the self claimed 13th Apostle of Jesus, who totally changed the simple teachings of Jesus, with his own philosophy and his own reason and his own logic and fooled the bulk of Christians to follow him and not Jesus.

Allah Knows Best
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20226 Jan 21, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not call Jesus Common Criminal in his time, what crime did he commit?
I am not a Christian and i do not belive Jesus was the son of God.

But I do believe he existed and that he was a great man with a great message which is why we are still talking about him after 2000 years.

However, if he wasn't a criminal then why was he sentenced to death? Because blasphemy was a crime. To say that he is the son of God and the King of the Jews was a crime. Claiming to be a King of any sort was a crime of treason against the Romans.

He was also a threat to the Jewish clergy because he spoke of the desecration of the Temple which will be destroyed brick by brick.

There was also the controversy over his attitude to taxes.

In his own time, Jesus was considered a criminal. Whether he was or not is unsure because the Bible is pro-Jesus.

I am not being offensive Muq, I revere Jesus as a teacher. But in my mind, he was a human man and therefore infallible

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#20227 Jan 21, 2014
MUQ wrote:
PS:
And then rose St. Paul, the self claimed 13th Apostle of Jesus, who totally changed the simple teachings of Jesus, with his own philosophy and his own reason and his own logic and fooled the bulk of Christians to follow him and not Jesus.
Allah Knows Best
Allah knows best? Then why didn't he allow Christianity to flourish?

Christianity is a big problem for Islam because it simply shouldn't exist.

According to the Quran God went to a lot of trouble with Jesus.
He was born to a virgin 3:47(Why?)
He spoke as a baby 19:29/33.
He made clay birds and breathed life into them 5:110.
He healed the sick and raised the dead 5:110 (That's got to be worth more than just a few words).
And then he doesn't die on the cross? 4:157 (There's a whole story missing here).

Yet we are supposed to believe that just one man (St Paul) then corrupted the words of Jesus, created the biggest religion in the world and God couldn't or wouldn't stop him?
That's irrational!

All Jesus needed to do was write down or get a scribe to write down his message, give copies to his disciples and then no corruption could have occurred. But he didn't.(This is a problem for Christians as well.)

The Quran's story just reads like a bad fudge as your prophet tried and failed to fit Jesus into his version of theology.
Heartthrob

Jakarta, Indonesia

#20228 Jan 21, 2014
Religion will defeat Atheism ! People will realize that it is far more logical and instinctive to have something rather than nothing ! And believe me Atheism will give you absolutely nothing and take away everything that you could have been !
Thinking

Blaenau-ffestiniog, UK

#20229 Jan 21, 2014
Maybe there is a god that will reward non believers better than sycophants.

You can't disprove this.
Heartthrob wrote:
Religion will defeat Atheism ! People will realize that it is far more logical and instinctive to have something rather than nothing ! And believe me Atheism will give you absolutely nothing and take away everything that you could have been !

Since: Mar 12

Danda, India

#20230 Jan 21, 2014
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah knows best? Then why didn't he allow Christianity to flourish?
Christianity is a big problem for Islam because it simply shouldn't exist.
According to the Quran God went to a lot of trouble with Jesus.
He was born to a virgin 3:47(Why?)
He spoke as a baby 19:29/33.
He made clay birds and breathed life into them 5:110.
He healed the sick and raised the dead 5:110 (That's got to be worth more than just a few words).
And then he doesn't die on the cross? 4:157 (There's a whole story missing here).
Yet we are supposed to believe that just one man (St Paul) then corrupted the words of Jesus, created the biggest religion in the world and God couldn't or wouldn't stop him?
That's irrational!
All Jesus needed to do was write down or get a scribe to write down his message, give copies to his disciples and then no corruption could have occurred. But he didn't.(This is a problem for Christians as well.)
The Quran's story just reads like a bad fudge as your prophet tried and failed to fit Jesus into his version of theology.
Let alone Jesus's death,MUQ couldn't even prove his existence.
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#20231 Jan 21, 2014
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I have to sadly agree, one can only hope. Religion preys on the guilt, pain, and hoplessness of humanity. It demands indoctrination from birth, so as to continue and propagate it's parasitic hold on humanity. The good news is, that more and more people are leaving the myth behind. As people become better and better educated, they will eventually outgrow the infantile need for an invisible sky-gremlin, and will lose the fear that religion uses to keep the sheep in line. I may not see it in my lifetime, but I hope my children or at worst my grandchildren will one day see a world void of the plauge that is religion.
It's amazing how wise Thomas Jefferson really was:

This is an excerpt from a letter he wrote to then president John Adams:

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20232 Jan 21, 2014
Jesus, theChrist, a criminal? NEVER. He came to include all earth in His Promises, to bring Equality to men and women, to let children be children, for women to be accepted and respected by men, not just some women, but all. Taxes? nobody likes them. Jesus called for JUSTICE and morality.Taxed money's needed to keep a society in tune and running. We might be TOO smart and believing we, humans, can do it all. Ha! how long will it take to do it ALL? Jesus IS with us always, we must answer by using what He gives us wisely, Justice and Equality and our feeble human minds to and for RESPECT.
jacktheladat1

Wolverhampton, UK

#20233 Jan 21, 2014
Heartthrob wrote:
I'm a devout atheist, I came into this world with nothing, I'll leave this world with nothing. In between religion has offered me nothing.
Its only positive is that it manufactures very, very rich people who can live with their daily ignorance of their stupid portrayed image wearing silly hats. Atheism has given me the sense not to believe in sky gods, virgin births, pixies, elves, sock monsters, tooth and other fairies, walking on water, and like impossibilities. I wallow in the thought that the Sciences have proven beyond a shadow of doubt that, eventually, man as a race will one day mature, and shake-off his mantles religions have surely hog tied him in. I regret that I will not be a witness to that, though the knowledge is truly heartwarming.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20234 Jan 21, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
Jesus, theChrist, a criminal? NEVER. He came to include all earth in His Promises, to bring Equality to men and women, to let children be children, for women to be accepted and respected by men, not just some women, but all. Taxes? nobody likes them. Jesus called for JUSTICE and morality.Taxed money's needed to keep a society in tune and running. We might be TOO smart and believing we, humans, can do it all. Ha! how long will it take to do it ALL? Jesus IS with us always, we must answer by using what He gives us wisely, Justice and Equality and our feeble human minds to and for RESPECT.
What?
Spider

Cambridge, UK

#20235 Jan 21, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
Sorry Luz,,, given this post I know exactly what you mean regarding feeble minds,,, are you serious ??????????

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20236 Jan 21, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
Open your eyes and see

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20237 Jan 21, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
<quoted text>Open your eyes and see
My eyes were open and saw that you couldn't really form a coherent thought.

Was there more?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 5 hr Frindly 1,176
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 5 hr Frindly 1,428
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 hr u196533dm 32,462
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 15 hr Ben Avraham 100
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
More from around the web