Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

rio

London, UK

#20133 Jan 8, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
people who ar born into poverty or conflict often have no choice but to lead sinful lives to survive. It is impossible to lead a pious existence if you are a child soldier forced into a murederous militia.
Life is sacred - but for some they will forever be stuck in a cycle of depravity and deprivation.
Now, tell me what was the meaning of life for my 18-month old infant son who died from congenital liver defect many years ago?

Just one of billions of lives wasted needlessly during the life of humanity?

Did they all die because of depravity ?
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20134 Jan 8, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, tell me what was the meaning of life for my 18-month old infant son who died from congenital liver defect many years ago?
Just one of billions of lives wasted needlessly during the life of humanity?
Did they all die because of depravity ?
If I had to answer this question honestly, I would say your precious innocent son was a victim of terrible circumstances. Life can be cruel.

But to look for meaning in his untimely death would just raise more questions than it answers. That won't stop a parent from mourning their loss but it would stop them asking why and might help them move on.

I am not in any way belittling your loss. It is tragic and I would not know how I'd deal with something that awful.
rio

London, UK

#20135 Jan 8, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had to answer this question honestly, I would say your precious innocent son was a victim of terrible circumstances. Life can be cruel.
But to look for meaning in his untimely death would just raise more questions than it answers. That won't stop a parent from mourning their loss but it would stop them asking why and might help them move on.
I am not in any way belittling your loss. It is tragic and I would not know how I'd deal with something that awful.
Yes, but how can you give a meaning to a life that is destined to be very short?
How can you make the most of it?
You see, experience like mine makes people think, that maybe happyness isn't destined to be reached in this life. People start exploring the possibility of something better somewhere.
You may well find all these considerations very irrational and the rambling of an old man nearer his death than his youth, maybe ...
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20136 Jan 8, 2014
I donate a cancer research as something for subsequent generations.
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
when you compare the number of humans to the number of other mammals, fish, arthropods, birds, insects etc etc etc.. we are but a speck in the grand scheme of things.
If we believe that all those other creatures on this earth are born - live - die - and go back to nothing then it isn't so hard to comprehend that humans might suffer the same fate.
But again we will differ here because you will claim that humans have a soul and that makes our lives worthwhile. I on the other hand will say that we have communicable emotions, the power of speech and the power of lateral thought and thats what makes our lives worthwhile.
yep - you guessed it - I don't believe in a soul either.
I believe our purpose on earth is to make our fellow humans happy
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20137 Jan 8, 2014
to ^

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20138 Jan 8, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummmm, for many people, like is meaningless because of the conditions they are in: poverty, conflicts, health conditions, etc...
How would you make their life meaningful?
What's the purpose of keeping them alive?
To me, life is sacred (I use the term loosely) because of the possibility of after life.
Their lives aren't meaningless, their lives are difficult.

Are you saying you have to make a certain amount of money or have good health to have a meaningful life?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#20140 Jan 9, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Atheists do not have a belief system ! I beg to differ ! Atheism is a belief system ! it is a belief that there is no god, hence it influences your judgements , sways your opinions and guides you to your ultimate belief ( death) You live and die for no reason whatsoever ! you are but a working ant on top of an ant mound ! No more no less :)
Not even!

A theist has the belief system(indoctrination) and whether it be Satanism, Paganism or one of the silly Abrahamic god-myths it all boils down to this simple truth. Before he got his indoctrination the theist was without theism, you know,... he was an atheist, like all people are before somebody tells them god lies.

And that is the reason you loons start indoctrinating your children as small children(you can't have them beginning to know that it is just foolishness), gods do not get assimilated by osmosis, you have to teach it and it's system of belief.

Did you know that buybull god will make you eat your children?

Earth,TX

#20141 Jan 9, 2014
Add to the above ... Tell a three year old that bit of buybull truth, and you will not get him on his knees ever.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20142 Jan 9, 2014
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Not even!
A theist has the belief system(indoctrination) and whether it be Satanism, Paganism or one of the silly Abrahamic god-myths it all boils down to this simple truth. Before he got his indoctrination the theist was without theism, you know,... he was an atheist, like all people are before somebody tells them god lies.
And that is the reason you loons start indoctrinating your children as small children(you can't have them beginning to know that it is just foolishness), gods do not get assimilated by osmosis, you have to teach it and it's system of belief.
Did you know that buybull god will make you eat your children?
Atheists, put an A before Theism, but the Theists were too stupid to realise and now want to make Atheism its own thing. Fools.

Earth,TX

#20143 Jan 9, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> No children are not born Atheists, and their memory of God is still within their spiritual soul because they are young and have not had much time to be brainwashed by the material world ! And Above All, They WILL MOST CERTAINLY ENTER HEAVEN as they have NO SIN ! If you are an Atheist do not pretend to know anything about God because you have not a clue !
Well now that would begin explain all those Hindu babies being born into Muslim and Christain families, and the Christains being born to the Jews and the Thugees. Imagine a family where a set of identical triplets are born Muslin, Jewish and Christain, that would be hilarious to watch(except for when the Muslim child starts killing off the infidel children).

BTW: Many of us, were raised in some religion or other, and were indoctrinated early in life. It takes a lot of self-delusion to actually follow the buybull god myth. I know, I tried it, but then I read the buybull, all of it.

Did you know that your god inflicts hemorrhoids on people, fiber in your diet has nothing to do with it.

'Roids are a punishment from god of Abraham.

Now it's things like this that cause buybull believers and buybull thumpers to take a closer look at their religion, and if they actually have functioning brains and really read it, they too will become non-believers.

And being born a sinner(orginal sin) means that you will not darken heaven's doors, until you beg to be for given for being unwittingly branded a sinner, zygote or not.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20144 Jan 9, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but how can you give a meaning to a life that is destined to be very short?
How can you make the most of it?
You see, experience like mine makes people think, that maybe happyness isn't destined to be reached in this life. People start exploring the possibility of something better somewhere.
You may well find all these considerations very irrational and the rambling of an old man nearer his death than his youth, maybe ...
Your baby boy never got to fulfil his purpose which was to be loved and raised by caring parents. He in turn would've blossomed into a caring considerate man and brought pride to his parents. The cycle would repeat and your family line would've continued through him.

In his short life, he did experience the love of his parents and you felt the love too. His loss and the ensuing void it left in your life is also evidence of the immense love you felt for him.

Buddhism teaches Buddhists about passing on merits to the deceased. The deceased benefit in the afterlife from good deeds done in their name. Which is why Buddhists hold alms-givings.

I was raised a Buddhist but don't hold much confidence in established organised religion. But this is one aspect of Buddhsim I always liked - It is obviously unquantifiable, I have no idea whether my dead loved ones benefit in the afterlife or whether there is an afterlife at all. But my good deeds also help those around me who are very much alive and in need of help.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#20145 Jan 9, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I donate a cancer research as something for subsequent generations.
<quoted text>
y#

My church donates money to the poor, and sick. But we are evil.
Thinking

Blaenau-ffestiniog, UK

#20146 Jan 9, 2014
If you say so.
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>y#

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#20147 Jan 9, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>y#
OK

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#20148 Jan 9, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are on the rise because of Inherent defects in the teachings of Christianity and its inability to come and address the issues faced by people.
It was High handedness of Church that resulted in revolt by people following Christianity.
Atheism is on the rise mostly in Western countries....not in other systems.
Western governments won't cut your head off for not believing in a particular 'god'
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20149 Jan 9, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Western governments won't cut your head off for not believing in a particular 'god'
And yet you cannot get elected into public office in America if you deny the existence of God.

Södertälje, Sweden

#20150 Jan 9, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you cannot get elected into public office in America if you deny the existence of God.
In Sweden you can (We're more democratic than USA)

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#20151 Jan 9, 2014
Sweden is not a democracy., simply it's an OLD frozen rock with yodolelee people who cross-dance endensillably, never been there, never will.

Södertälje, Sweden

#20153 Jan 9, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
Sweden is not a democracy., simply it's an OLD frozen rock with yodolelee people who cross-dance endensillably, never been there, never will.
You Americans wouldn't recognize a real democracy even if it hit young in the face and update your map!

"the most democratic countries are found in Scandinavia, with Norway, Sweden, Iceland, and Denmark occupying the first four spots on the list"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/demo...

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#20154 Jan 9, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what makes us different from other animal species.
I just cannot see how all these souls go to oblivion.
Why the deceptive clipping of his response "humans have a soul" to imply he said something he clearly didn't??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Chimney1 48,485
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr JustASkeptic 6
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Into The Night 23,491
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) Sat ChristineM 21,863
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sat Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
More from around the web