Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Thinking

Poole, UK

#20073 Jan 7, 2014
At least you got to talk live to Armstrong and Aldrin on the Moon.
Dirty Dicky wrote:
Can you tell me the month and date too? Have to prepare for this.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20074 Jan 7, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
But if i taste both and decide I have no interest in either Wine A or Wine B to make that distinction - Then there is no belief involved
You fell into it yet again ! If you are not interested in either, then you believe they are not worthy of you thinking about ! Unfortunately for Atheists because of there refusal to acknowledge any form of self commitment towards any thoughts they may have or had, and to state that they are without any beliefs whatsoever makes their points totally invalid and void, because they do not believe in them !
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20075 Jan 8, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't judge people who have belief systems. It is almost ingrained in our collective psyche and has been since man learnt to communicate with each other.
My entire family are of one faith or another and I would never tell them they are wrong. I've seen how faith can help people when they are in trouble. I've also seen how faith (in particular Born again Christians) can make people very narrow minded about other faiths. Or even violent in the case of religious extremists.
We are at an exciting juncture in the progress of human evolution. Almost like a new 'Enlightenment'.
People now have the choice not to choose a religion. That hasn't always been the case.
The title of this thread is misleading. Atheism isn't aiming to defeat religion. But the number of Atheists will rise over the coming decades now that Church and state are seperate, especially in the West.
Atheists are on the rise because of Inherent defects in the teachings of Christianity and its inability to come and address the issues faced by people.

It was High handedness of Church that resulted in revolt by people following Christianity.

Atheism is on the rise mostly in Western countries....not in other systems.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20076 Jan 8, 2014
Non belief is on the rise in tolerant countries.
I see UK teenagers showing far less interest in islam than their parents.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are on the rise because of Inherent defects in the teachings of Christianity and its inability to come and address the issues faced by people.
It was High handedness of Church that resulted in revolt by people following Christianity.
spider

Saint Neots, UK

#20077 Jan 8, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> God gives everlasting life to that child ! Atheism gives that child death ! God gives that child a reason and purpose to have been physically alive, Atheism gives that child no purpose to have existed none whatsoever left only to the memories and a remorse of what could have been ! Your spiritual soul is here to learn to become closer to god, These little ones were and are closer to god than you or I
Children are born atheists, cot deaths or children that die before they can be brain washed have no knowledge of your god,,, no time to learn,, therefore it follows that they will not enter your heaven as they are non believers. How do you explain they are closer to god ?
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20078 Jan 8, 2014
tranny would have to conclude that the more children go to church, the further they recede from god.
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Children are born atheists, cot deaths or children that die before they can be brain washed have no knowledge of your god,,, no time to learn,, therefore it follows that they will not enter your heaven as they are non believers. How do you explain they are closer to god ?
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20079 Jan 8, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> You fell into it yet again ! If you are not interested in either, then you believe they are not worthy of you thinking about ! Unfortunately for Atheists because of there refusal to acknowledge any form of self commitment towards any thoughts they may have or had, and to state that they are without any beliefs whatsoever makes their points totally invalid and void, because they do not believe in them !
The only people worried about the definition of Atheism are the Religious.

It seems many Creationist Cult Members are frightened by the fact that there is no god and never has been.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20080 Jan 8, 2014
Atheism is simply a disbelief in religion and this annoys the religious, because it makes them realise they have no facts on their side.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20081 Jan 8, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is on the rise because:

1. Science is based on facts.
2. Religion is based on fairytales with no evidence for them
3. Relgious liars try too hard to sell their cults to Atheists, which is why Atheists are sometimes forced to regard them like mentally ill people.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20082 Jan 8, 2014
4. Religious liars have no answers when asked to prove anything they say, instead choose to insult / play victim.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#20083 Jan 8, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. You assumption is wrong. Islamic way to describe creation is different from what we find in the book of Genesis.
02. There is no Islamic Creation "story"? It is a fact.
Islamic approach is to talk with basics and leave the details for people to find out.
But whatever is mentioned in Quran is always found to be correct and there is never any error in it, irrespective of whatever progress humans make.
The scope of religion is to tell humans what is their purpose of life and what shall happen to them when they die.
03. Quran is not the book of science, why should it teach science to you? And imagine how could people 1400 years back would have understood things that even most people do not understand now.
Many theories which we "believe to be true" might be obsolete say 500 years from now, so what will be our position then?
04. Islamic view of creation is that, it was Created by God, so it did not exist and then it came into existence.
And everything fell in place as per God' wish and will.
Nothing happened or can happen unless He Wills it and Wishes it.
If the islamic creation story is a fact, why didn't a single person believe in it for thousands upon thousands of years? Why did the prophets Islam recognises who existed before mohammed tell a completely different story?
spider

Saint Neots, UK

#20084 Jan 8, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists seem to take the interpretation of the word "belief" that suits them.
If I say "Wine A is better than wine B, I believe". It's a belief, not a religious belief, but a belief just the same.
So when atheists say "I believe there is no god", they also express a belief, still not a religious belief.
I also BELIEVE that any criticism of religion is based on intolerance. Most believers aren't a nuisance to others, so why not leave them alone? What's the point of attacking someone about something that's important to him?
I really BELIEVE in tolerance.
Wine A better than wine B is according to taste,,, what your palette prefers,,, nothing to do with belief.

I to believe in tolerance,, that is why I am against the indoctrination of children into a belief system at a young age,,, they should be allowed to make an informed choice,,, in some societies non believers are shunned, even by their own families,,, thaqt is unjust.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20085 Jan 8, 2014
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Wine A better than wine B is according to taste,,, what your palette prefers,,, nothing to do with belief.
I to believe in tolerance,, that is why I am against the indoctrination of children into a belief system at a young age,,, they should be allowed to make an informed choice,,, in some societies non believers are shunned, even by their own families,,, thaqt is unjust.
Religion systematic psychological abuse.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20086 Jan 8, 2014
judaism: pigs are bad
Plagiarised by christianity: pigs are fine
Plagiarised by islam: back to pigs are bad

So the market is wide open for someone to plagiarise 80% of the koran and start another "pigs are fine" religion.
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
If the islamic creation story is a fact, why didn't a single person believe in it for thousands upon thousands of years? Why did the prophets Islam recognises who existed before mohammed tell a completely different story?
spider

Saint Neots, UK

#20087 Jan 8, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you will find that the most advances in science are achieved in the west. Leaving religion to wither.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20088 Jan 8, 2014
The religious abuse doesn't just start when you're part of the religion, it extends outside the circle of the religion and out into the world.

The abusers build buildings, manipulate the depressed and injured where they can, while offering false hope, the abusers even go into prisons to collect numbers for their cult.

The abusive nature of religion extends out into society through evangelicism, political lobbying & lawmaking.

And all while having no evidence of god at all.

It is large scale fraud that thrives off the ignorant and stupid's desire to *feel right, regardless of what they've done or how they treated people in the past.
spider

Saint Neots, UK

#20089 Jan 8, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion systematic psychological abuse.
It certainly is in some countries,, in others I think it is a fear of the unknown.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20090 Jan 8, 2014
Jim wrote:
The religious abuse doesn't just start when you're part of the religion, it extends outside the circle of the religion and out into the world.
The abusers build buildings, manipulate the depressed and injured where they can, while offering false hope, the abusers even go into prisons to collect numbers for their cult.
The abusive nature of religion extends out into society through evangelicism, political lobbying & lawmaking.
And all while having no evidence of god at all.
It is large scale fraud that thrives off the ignorant and stupid's desire to *feel right, regardless of what they've done or how they treated people in the past.
its scary that in the USA where there is an apparent distinction between Church and State that they can still print 'In God we trust' all over their currency.

But the Americans seem to be going backwards where most other secular Wetsern Nations are going forwards.

The rise of the extremist Republicans and their Tea Party nutjobs is quite worrying. Do you know how many Americans Congressmen are proclaimed atheists? Not a single one. To declare yourself an atheist is political suicide in the States. The country that supposedly leads the world on religious freedom and democracy but Atheists will never be elected to public office.

Some states have made it illegal for atheists to run for political office even though the constitution states that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
Crazy huh!
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20091 Jan 8, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
its scary that in the USA where there is an apparent distinction between Church and State that they can still print 'In God we trust' all over their currency.
But the Americans seem to be going backwards where most other secular Wetsern Nations are going forwards.
The rise of the extremist Republicans and their Tea Party nutjobs is quite worrying. Do you know how many Americans Congressmen are proclaimed atheists? Not a single one. To declare yourself an atheist is political suicide in the States. The country that supposedly leads the world on religious freedom and democracy but Atheists will never be elected to public office.
Some states have made it illegal for atheists to run for political office even though the constitution states that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
Crazy huh!
This is a denialist world we live in that can't even bear to watch 12 Years As Slave out of arrogance and dishonesty.

Rather than become better people, humans choose to lie and decieve to protect their illogical religious beliefs.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20092 Jan 8, 2014
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
No children are not born Atheists, and their memory of God is still within their spiritual soul because they are young and have not had much time to be brainwashed by the material world ! And Above All, They WILL MOST CERTAINLY ENTER HEAVEN as they have NO SIN ! If you are an Atheist do not pretend to know anything about God because you have not a clue !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 min Eagle 12 27,289
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Eagle 12 58,115
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 28 min Eagle 12 1,944
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 32 min Eagle 12 53
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 44 min McGee 1,908
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 4 hr Hedonist Heretic 154
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 16 hr Eagle 12 5,962
More from around the web