Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
18,941 - 18,960 of 21,446 Comments Last updated Sunday Aug 17
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case, it would be "I believe they taste the same".
Duhhhhhhhhh
I've spoken to you respectfully. Please don't take that tone.

I said that I have interest in making a distinction - i didn't say they taste the same.

Lets look at it another way.

What if I don't have an interest in tasting either wine - then there is no belief involved
rio

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that I have interest in making a distinction - i didn't say they taste the same.
What if I don't have an interest in tasting either wine - then there is no belief involved
OK.

You can change "believe" for "think" in most cases.

Religious belief is something else: it's faith.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

The opposite of all you wrote here is true, Rio. Look...
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists seem to take the interpretation of the word "belief" that suits them.
I use the dictionary definitions..
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/belief

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disbelief
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
If I say "Wine A is better than wine B, I believe". It's a belief, not a religious belief, but a belief just the same.
So when atheists say "I believe there is no god", they also express a belief, still not a religious belief.
But that is to confuse belief with disbelief. You didn't read my earlier posts and just assume that I am talking from intolerance. Why not show me some tolerance and read what I write?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I also BELIEVE that any criticism of religion is based on intolerance.
And that is the problem. You don't read what written or think about the motivation for writing it, you already think you know.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Most believers aren't a nuisance to others, so why not leave them alone?
Who said the are? I object to the problems caused by superstition and religion and simply point out that religious faith is superstitious belief, but you don't tolerate that. I am not a nuisance to anybody. Why not practice what you preach?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the point of attacking someone about something that's important to him?
Because I believe it is harmful - and before you dismiss that as intolerance, please read my posts and address their substance in future.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I really BELIEVE in tolerance.
Yet you cannot tolerate a word anyone writes if it in any way contradicts religious teaching. That isn't tolerance it is bias towards religion and intolerant of other points of view.

I think you have shown yourself to be one of the least thoughtful and least tolerant contributors on this thread
JMHO.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Diferent meaning of the verb to believe
be·lieve (b-lv)
v. be·lieved, be·liev·ing, be·lieves
v.tr.
1. To accept as true or real: Do you believe the news stories?
2. To credit with veracity: I believe you.
3. To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.
v.intr.
1. To have firm faith, especially religious faith.
2. To have faith, confidence, or trust: I believe in your ability to solve the problem.
3. To have confidence in the truth or value of something: We believe in free speech.
4. To have an opinion; think: They have already left, I believe.
etc...
Now take into account the principle of Russell's Teapot - that is those who hold the belief in god due to its existence who hold responsibility for it being true or substantiated. Disbelief in gods and pixies is not equally as valid as disbelief. The onus is on the religionist to define their god and prove it. It isn't intolerant to point out that gods are just superstition and it isn't intolerant to say so, as is the case for any superstition or erroneous belief.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is another point you appear to ignore. There is faith based on reason and evidence and acts of faith or religious faith which aren't. Faith or belief in god(s) is not just as reasonable as faith the a bridge will support the weight it is designed to. There is substantiated faith and superstitious/religious faith.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> If you believe in a God then you will also believe in an existence after death, A heaven if you like ! so death and dying is not such a bad thing in fact it is a blessing ! its how an atheist perceives death that makes it so horrible to them ! Follow me and let the dead bury the dead !
Convincing someone that a "great reward" awaits them when they die is how 'suicide bombers' are made
Thinking

Stalbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

He didn't say they tasted the same, you islamist fool.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case, it would be "I believe they taste the same".
Duhhhhhhhhh
Thinking

Stalbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

It's like rio asking me which is best: sunni or shiite? Neither are good for me.
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
CrimeaRiver

Wandsworth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
I don't judge people who have belief systems. It is almost ingrained in our collective psyche and has been since man learnt to communicate with each other.

My entire family are of one faith or another and I would never tell them they are wrong. I've seen how faith can help people when they are in trouble. I've also seen how faith (in particular Born again Christians) can make people very narrow minded about other faiths. Or even violent in the case of religious extremists.

We are at an exciting juncture in the progress of human evolution. Almost like a new 'Enlightenment'.

People now have the choice not to choose a religion. That hasn't always been the case.

The title of this thread is misleading. Atheism isn't aiming to defeat religion. But the number of Atheists will rise over the coming decades now that Church and state are seperate, especially in the West.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what I am, but you just come out as an aggressive person who likes to attack people's beliefs. Did that get you anywhere so far?
Why can't you tolerate?
When you have evidence of the god you won't be so defensive and bitter at Atheists that remind you of this fact.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
Its called willful ignorance - believing in stupid disproven things entirely out of blind arrogance, irrational thought and delusion.
Dirty Dicky

Pathanamthitta, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

Can you tell me the month and date too? Have to prepare for this.
Thinking

Stalbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

At least you got to talk live to Armstrong and Aldrin on the Moon.
Dirty Dicky wrote:
Can you tell me the month and date too? Have to prepare for this.
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
But if i taste both and decide I have no interest in either Wine A or Wine B to make that distinction - Then there is no belief involved
You fell into it yet again ! If you are not interested in either, then you believe they are not worthy of you thinking about ! Unfortunately for Atheists because of there refusal to acknowledge any form of self commitment towards any thoughts they may have or had, and to state that they are without any beliefs whatsoever makes their points totally invalid and void, because they do not believe in them !
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't judge people who have belief systems. It is almost ingrained in our collective psyche and has been since man learnt to communicate with each other.
My entire family are of one faith or another and I would never tell them they are wrong. I've seen how faith can help people when they are in trouble. I've also seen how faith (in particular Born again Christians) can make people very narrow minded about other faiths. Or even violent in the case of religious extremists.
We are at an exciting juncture in the progress of human evolution. Almost like a new 'Enlightenment'.
People now have the choice not to choose a religion. That hasn't always been the case.
The title of this thread is misleading. Atheism isn't aiming to defeat religion. But the number of Atheists will rise over the coming decades now that Church and state are seperate, especially in the West.
Atheists are on the rise because of Inherent defects in the teachings of Christianity and its inability to come and address the issues faced by people.

It was High handedness of Church that resulted in revolt by people following Christianity.

Atheism is on the rise mostly in Western countries....not in other systems.
Thinking

Stalbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

Judged:

Non belief is on the rise in tolerant countries.
I see UK teenagers showing far less interest in islam than their parents.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are on the rise because of Inherent defects in the teachings of Christianity and its inability to come and address the issues faced by people.
It was High handedness of Church that resulted in revolt by people following Christianity.
Atheism is on the rise mostly in Western countries....not in other systems.
spider

Ely, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

Judged:

trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> God gives everlasting life to that child ! Atheism gives that child death ! God gives that child a reason and purpose to have been physically alive, Atheism gives that child no purpose to have existed none whatsoever left only to the memories and a remorse of what could have been ! Your spiritual soul is here to learn to become closer to god, These little ones were and are closer to god than you or I
Children are born atheists, cot deaths or children that die before they can be brain washed have no knowledge of your god,,, no time to learn,, therefore it follows that they will not enter your heaven as they are non believers. How do you explain they are closer to god ?
Thinking

Stalbridge, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

Judged:

tranny would have to conclude that the more children go to church, the further they recede from god.
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Children are born atheists, cot deaths or children that die before they can be brain washed have no knowledge of your god,,, no time to learn,, therefore it follows that they will not enter your heaven as they are non believers. How do you explain they are closer to god ?
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

Judged:

trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> You fell into it yet again ! If you are not interested in either, then you believe they are not worthy of you thinking about ! Unfortunately for Atheists because of there refusal to acknowledge any form of self commitment towards any thoughts they may have or had, and to state that they are without any beliefs whatsoever makes their points totally invalid and void, because they do not believe in them !
The only people worried about the definition of Atheism are the Religious.

It seems many Creationist Cult Members are frightened by the fact that there is no god and never has been.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2014

Judged:

Atheism is simply a disbelief in religion and this annoys the religious, because it makes them realise they have no facts on their side.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 6 min _Bad Company 355
If Christianity were true... 14 min henry 135
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 32 min Lawrence Wolf 101
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 44 min Aura Mytha 225,569
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 883
One top most argument for atheism (Apr '12) 2 hr henry 3
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 6 hr religionisillness 753
•••
•••