Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20012 Jan 7, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> My answer to this will totally upset someone with an Atheist belief system ! blah, blah...
It's not a 'belief system'....
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheis...
for most of us it's just 2. disbelief in a supreme being or beings (i.e. a god).

If you feel you have a 'belief system' or you live by a 'set of beliefs', that is your business. Don't project your way of viewing the world or your view of philosophy onto others.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20013 Jan 7, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>It's not a 'belief system'....
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheis...
for most of us it's just 2. disbelief in a supreme being or beings (i.e. a god).
If you feel you have a 'belief system' or you live by a 'set of beliefs', that is your business. Don't project your way of viewing the world or your view of philosophy onto others.
Notice how Creationist Cult Member rants deliberately try to repeat incorrect concepts in the hope that they will *stick*.

Atheism is not a religion or belief system, its just a conclusion from the facts. How people react to the facts is up to them, and has nothing to do with Atheists.

Asking an Atheist to believe in god is like asking an Atheist to choose to believe they have a third arm coming out of their chest. Its 1. A stupid belief to have. 2. There's no evidence to suggest its true. 3. Its totally useless to believe and doesn't help you in anyway. In fact it will cause you misery because you'll always realise you're lying to yourself about your third arm.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20014 Jan 7, 2014
Creationists have third arms coming out of their chests, but only in their own minds.

They run around angry at Atheists for not believing in their third arm.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20015 Jan 7, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> My answer to this will totally upset someone with an Atheist belief system ! But you asked so I will tell you as best as I can ! There are many many scenarios that you could class as being "avoidable" But is it really ? Suffering on the other hand serves a purpose that is to teach not to harm ! If you believe in God then you will also believe in a spirit which dwells deep within yourself, That is not of the physical realm, It is not your mind but your spiritual soul ! you are in this physical world to learn to enhance your spiritual soul, God knows your individual weaknesses and also your strengths, The way to learn in the physical world and how god teaches in the physical world is by tests and trials, these trials are what you think of as suffering ! But God has a reason for you as an individual to face these trials, and the reason being is to strengthen your spiritual weaknesses and enhance your spiritual soul ! God knows that your physical and mental being suffers during these trials, but God sees you as an eternal spirit, that spirit does not suffer through these trials but learns from them lessons !
For your Physical being is only but a shell of your true nature and your physical life lasts but a blink of an eye , But the lessons learned in the Physical will last your spiritual for all time !
Its all very well to say that God tests us and our morality etc etc etc.

But if everything is within God's power then it would much easier to relieve suffering and to show himself.

Then the people would know that God exists and would immediately cease all wrongdoing. Everybody would accept God and lead moral, pious, peaceful lives in the knowledge that everlasting paradise awaits them in death.

Instead. God sends down his Jewish son and has him executed as a precursor to 2 thousand years of Crusades, religious wars and terrorism.

Why not just make the world a happy peaceful utopia within which we can all bask in the Glory of the creator?

Because God doesn't really exist. He, and all other omnipotent deities are constructs of powerful men to control the masses.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20016 Jan 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
...Are you not a "compassionate" person,?
You have proven to me that you aren't.

Are you ready now to:
1. condemn the shooting of Malala Yousefsai unreservedly?
2. Acknowledge child marriage is harmful?
3. Acknowledge that all religiously motivated child genital mutilation is harmful?

Islamists (as distinct from Muslims in general) seem in a poor position to talk of compassion.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20017 Jan 7, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
...Because God doesn't really exist. He, and all other omnipotent deities are constructs of powerful men to control the masses.
Exactly. And it was done naturally in the past because many of those 'powerful men'(like those they manipulated) were superstitious too.

Perhaps in some cases, to varying degrees, it was a case of 'they know not what they do'? Sometimes in hindsight, like the Crusades or Jihadists, it can look like a sort of violent collective madness. And consider what the ancient Egyptians might have achieved if they hadn't wasted all that effort on pyramids.

Surely modern man should have learnt by now that a secular, democratic way is better than any theological one.

Theology = mythology.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20018 Jan 7, 2014
CR wrote:
01. The fact that Scientific theory changes with time is evidence of its relevance.

02. Religion is not real. It is written by man's hand. If you can trust that man to be beyond reproach then maybe you can take his word at face value. But men are fallible, men make mistakes, men are consumed by desire, greed, lust and vengeance.

03. Any religious text written by man cannot be attributed to God. Sorry, but thats the truth.

04. If God exists, why doesn't he simply tell us which faith is correct? why does he allow War in his name where all sides claim to be fighting for God.

05. Science can't answer all questions but at least it tries.

06. God gives us Cancer - But only Science cures it.
Ans.

01. Science deals with exploration of nature and material and that is why it is always changing with increase in knowledge.

That is basic weakness of science ..

02. Religion on the otherhand deals with issues about what is the purpose of human life and what shall happen to humans when they are dead.

These things will not change with time and there is no need to revise them with time.

03. True religion is based on revelation which prophets got from God. It is correct that humans distorted and corrupted that message that is why there was a chain of prophets.

04. God has told humans that "Only religion (acceptable) in the eyes of God is Islam" What more you want?

If some humans do not accept this and wage wars, is it God' fault or humans? Do not humans fight over language, nation, economic benefits, whom should we blame for these wars?

05. Science cannot answer questions that are outside its scope. If it tries they will be wrong.

06. God also gave you air and water and so many other gifts. And Every one does not die because of cancer. The Gifts of God are much more than what negative parts you try to mention.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20019 Jan 7, 2014
ICR wrote:
01. I assumed that Islam had the same old testament bollocks creation myth all the other monotheistic religions do.

02. So far you haven't explained anything about the islamic creation story but you already shot holes in it same as the christians do: You claim thing started when the creator wanted them to start.

03. Just like the christians you don't even attempt to say how things started. You deliberately choose to start your timeline in the middle where some great and powerful being does some stuff you find really significant.
Ans.

01. You assumption is wrong. Islamic way to describe creation is different from what we find in the book of Genesis.

02. There is no Islamic Creation "story"? It is a fact.

Islamic approach is to talk with basics and leave the details for people to find out.

But whatever is mentioned in Quran is always found to be correct and there is never any error in it, irrespective of whatever progress humans make.

The scope of religion is to tell humans what is their purpose of life and what shall happen to them when they die.

03. Quran is not the book of science, why should it teach science to you? And imagine how could people 1400 years back would have understood things that even most people do not understand now.

Many theories which we "believe to be true" might be obsolete say 500 years from now, so what will be our position then?

04. Islamic view of creation is that, it was Created by God, so it did not exist and then it came into existence.

And everything fell in place as per God' wish and will.

Nothing happened or can happen unless He Wills it and Wishes it.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20020 Jan 7, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You have proven to me that you aren't.
Are you ready now to:
1. condemn the shooting of Malala Yousefsai unreservedly?
2. Acknowledge child marriage is harmful?
3. Acknowledge that all religiously motivated child genital mutilation is harmful?
Islamists (as distinct from Muslims in general) seem in a poor position to talk of compassion.
When did I supported Malala shooting? What is such style of writing?

When did I support Child marriage?

Any mutilation of human body is not allowed, but what is your definition of mutilation? Why you only condemn "religiously motivated" mutilation?

What are Islamists? Is this a new term coined by you people?

Islam is the most compassionate of all religions and those who follow Islam are also most compassionate.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20021 Jan 7, 2014
If your god doesn't know the outcome of these tests beforehand it is not all powerful.
If your god knows the outcome of these tests and runs them anyway it is not compassionate.

If I could end miscarriages, cot death and leukaemia, I would.
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> My answer to this will totally upset someone with an Atheist belief system ! But you asked so I will tell you as best as I can ! There are many many scenarios that you could class as being "avoidable" But is it really ? Suffering on the other hand serves a purpose that is to teach not to harm ! If you believe in God then you will also believe in a spirit which dwells deep within yourself, That is not of the physical realm, It is not your mind but your spiritual soul ! you are in this physical world to learn to enhance your spiritual soul, God knows your individual weaknesses and also your strengths, The way to learn in the physical world and how god teaches in the physical world is by tests and trials, these trials are what you think of as suffering ! But God has a reason for you as an individual to face these trials, and the reason being is to strengthen your spiritual weaknesses and enhance your spiritual soul ! God knows that your physical and mental being suffers during these trials, but God sees you as an eternal spirit, that spirit does not suffer through these trials but learns from them lessons !
For your Physical being is only but a shell of your true nature and your physical life lasts but a blink of an eye , But the lessons learned in the Physical will last your spiritual for all time !
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20022 Jan 7, 2014
You can't even condemn the shooting of a muslim school girl unreservedly, you weasel.

My father doesn't announce himself as the man who doesn't beat his wife. He doesn't need to. But why does islam have to keep saying it is peaceful? Because it isn't.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Any mutilation of human body is not allowed, but what is your definition of mutilation? Why you only condemn "religiously motivated" mutilation?
Islam is the most compassionate of all religions and those who follow Islam are also most compassionate.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20023 Jan 7, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If your god doesn't know the outcome of these tests beforehand it is not all powerful.
If your god knows the outcome of these tests and runs them anyway it is not compassionate.
<quoted text>
Superb!
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20024 Jan 7, 2014
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Its all very well to say that God tests us and our morality etc etc etc.
But if everything is within God's power then it would much easier to relieve suffering and to show himself.
Then the people would know that God exists and would immediately cease all wrongdoing. Everybody would accept God and lead moral, pious, peaceful lives in the knowledge that everlasting paradise awaits them in death.
Instead. God sends down his Jewish son and has him executed as a precursor to 2 thousand years of Crusades, religious wars and terrorism.
Why not just make the world a happy peaceful utopia within which we can all bask in the Glory of the creator?
Because God doesn't really exist. He, and all other omnipotent deities are constructs of powerful men to control the masses.
But what would you learn ? And how would it be of benefit to your own spiritual soul !
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20025 Jan 7, 2014
Thank you. I don't think tranny gets logic, though.
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Superb!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20026 Jan 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Earlier in the thread. Look it up. Good, then you will have no problem answering those questions now and clearing that up.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are 'you people'? You are 'a people' too....
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Islamist
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you might need to consider why it seems the exact opposite of that to so very many people, including me.

And you need to deal with the fact that there's no more evidence of a god than of pixies or witches.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20027 Jan 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Science deals with exploration of nature and material and that is why it is always changing with increase in knowledge.
That is basic weakness of science ..
02. Religion on the otherhand deals with issues about what is the purpose of human life and what shall happen to humans when they are dead.
These things will not change with time and there is no need to revise them with time.
03. True religion is based on revelation which prophets got from God. It is correct that humans distorted and corrupted that message that is why there was a chain of prophets.
04. God has told humans that "Only religion (acceptable) in the eyes of God is Islam" What more you want?
If some humans do not accept this and wage wars, is it God' fault or humans? Do not humans fight over language, nation, economic benefits, whom should we blame for these wars?
05. Science cannot answer questions that are outside its scope. If it tries they will be wrong.
06. God also gave you air and water and so many other gifts. And Every one does not die because of cancer. The Gifts of God are much more than what negative parts you try to mention.
dude - I appreciate that you are a believer and i don't expect you to throw away a lifetime of brainwashed fantasy just because I say so.

But you have to understand the folly that is God based religion.

Judasim, Christiantiy and Islam all come from the same place. So why do they all tell a different story. At least two of you have to be wrong.

The fact that Judaism came first would suggest it is the most righteous. And the fact that Islam came last would suggest it is the least righteous.

You claim that Islam (religion) teaches us the purpose of life and what happens after death. But it hasn't given us any proof of what happens after death.

You are taught that upon martyrdom you will recieve 70 virgins in paradise - does that sound like something God would say?

No - because your scriptures (and all scriptures) are written by man's hand.

Unless a religious text has God's signature on it, they are merely the rantings of madmen.

You claim that Islamist extremists do not speak for Muslims. And yet they are in power all over the Middle East. If the Taliban does not speak for you, why don't Muslims rise up and fight against them? Why doesn't Allah punish them - why does he allow them to be in power and make the lives of innocent Muslims so awful.

You will try and fail to answer these questions because you cannot fathom life without God.

I on the other hand will be more than willing to believe in God if evidence is presented to support His existence.

Texts written by man's hand is not evidence in my eyes.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20028 Jan 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
... Why you only condemn "religiously motivated" mutilation?...
Because there are medical reasons for circumcising a boy sometimes, especially in hot climates. Religion is no valid reason to violently mutilate a child. They should be permitted to reach the age of consent before the attack as there is evidence that suggests that removing the foreskin of a boy can harm sensitivity of the penis.

How many times must such problems be spelt-out?!
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20029 Jan 7, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice how Creationist Cult Member rants deliberately try to repeat incorrect concepts in the hope that they will *stick*.
Atheism is not a religion or belief system, its just a conclusion from the facts. How people react to the facts is up to them, and has nothing to do with Atheists.
Asking an Atheist to believe in god is like asking an Atheist to choose to believe they have a third arm coming out of their chest. Its 1. A stupid belief to have. 2. There's no evidence to suggest its true. 3. Its totally useless to believe and doesn't help you in anyway. In fact it will cause you misery because you'll always realise you're lying to yourself about your third arm.
Atheists do not have a belief system ! I beg to differ ! Atheism is a belief system ! it is a belief that there is no god, hence it influences your judgements , sways your opinions and guides you to your ultimate belief ( death) You live and die for no reason whatsoever ! you are but a working ant on top of an ant mound ! No more no less :)
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20030 Jan 7, 2014
Wrong as usual.
Not even Dawkins believes this.
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Atheists do not have a belief system ! I beg to differ ! Atheism is a belief system ! it is a belief that there is no god...
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20031 Jan 7, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>But what would you learn ? And how would it be of benefit to your own spiritual soul !
I wouldn't need to learn. According to Christian texts, our soul purpose on earth is to worship God and to honour the teachings of Jesus Christ (a Jew I might add).

Remember that in Genesis, Eve was punished for eating from the 'tree of knowledge'. Even as a parable the message is very clear there.

Man should not learn - Man should not question - Man should be subservient to God's will alone.

If God showed himself to Adam and Eve why is He so reclusive now when we need Him most?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful. Just to debate something that i find exteremly interesting.

Mankind has come so far without the need for religin that is surprises me when seemingly intelligent peoplestill feel the need to believe in the fantastical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 hr The FACTory 630
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr replaytime 76,826
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 14 hr Dogen 4,281
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... Wed Eagle 12 - 10
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Jul 17 Eagle 12 - 6,123
More from around the web