Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#19992 Jan 6, 2014
Babaji69 wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is one of men's best inventions which makes people lead a good life without harming others.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You cannot be serious.

Since: Jan 14

Bangalore India

#19993 Jan 6, 2014
Religious quarrels are always over the husks. When purity, when spirituality goes, leaving the soul dry, quarrels begin, and not before.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19994 Jan 6, 2014
Sillies, do you really expect to '''know'' it all? ALL will be revealed upon our death so for now I'm happy to know nothing. Jealous of black men, I see. AIDS must be caused by IGNORANCE and stupidity, not just race. Run, get out of reality.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#19995 Jan 6, 2014
Back in teh real world it turns out religion has nothing whatsoever to do with morality since remote tribes who are essentially atheist still have morals.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19996 Jan 6, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You cannot be serious.
AIDS, got the cure?

Since: Jan 14

Bangalore India

#19997 Jan 6, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
Sillies, do you really expect to '''know'' it all? ALL will be revealed upon our death so for now I'm happy to know nothing. Jealous of black men, I see. AIDS must be caused by IGNORANCE and stupidity, not just race. Run, get out of reality.
I like BBW.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#19998 Jan 6, 2014
Which is why your god has time to allow miscarriages, cot deaths and childhood leukaemia?
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> You can believe both ! I do :) If a mere mortal father has five, six ,seven , eight children he can cope and care for each one of them and at the same time go out and do his normal work , Can he not ? Then how many can a GOD have and still care for every single one of them ?The number is infinite to us but little to him !
CrimeaRiver

UK

#19999 Jan 6, 2014
Babaji69 wrote:
What Swamiji says about religion?
Now comes the question, can religion really accomplish anything? It can. It brings to man eternal life. It has made man what he is and will make of this human animal a God. That is what religion can do. Take religion from human society and what will remain? Nothing but a forest of brutes. Sense-happiness is not the goal of humanity. Wisdom (Jnana) is the goal of all life. We find that man enjoys his intellect more than animal enjoys its senses, and we see that man enjoys his spiritual nature even more than his rational nature. So the highest wisdom must be this spiritual knowledge. With this knowledge will come bliss. All these things of this world are but shadows, the manifestations in the third or fourth degree of the real Knowledge and Bliss.
#. Now in my little experience I have collected this knowledge: that in spite of all the devilry that religion is blamed with, religion is not at all in fault; no religion ever persecuted men, no religion ever burnt witches, no religion ever did any of these things. What then incited people to do these things? Politics, but never religion; and if such politics takes the name of religion whose fault is that?
#. Religion is the greatest motive power for realizing that infinite energy which is the birthright and nature of every man. In building up character, in making for everything that is good and great, in bringing peace to others, and peace to one's own self, religion is the highest motive power, and therefore, ought to be studied from that standpoint.
Man is an animal. It doesn't matter that our brain is more advanced and that we have opposable thumbs to build and write. We are animals. We are selfish, we are violent, we are jealous, we are lustful.

Religion is simply a control mechanism.

A king may rule over his kingdom but his army can only control his subjects through fear.

As kingdoms get bigger it becomes impossible to control all the people all the time.

So it is easier to create the concept of an all-seeing God who knows what you are thinking and knows what you are doing all the time.

This way - the people control their own behaviour because they fear an invisible God is watching them.

It is similar to a Prison. The Guard tower is in the middle and the cells surround it. The prisoners never know who the guard is watching and so they police their own behaviour for fear that they are being monitored.

So a handful of guards can control hundreds of prisoners using this fear.

Its so simple when you take blind faith out of the equation.

Since: Mar 12

Bandra, India

#20000 Jan 6, 2014
Babaji69 wrote:
<quoted text>I like BBW.
Babaji! purify yourself. Remove the filth of lust from your mind and concentrate on your God.LOL!
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20001 Jan 6, 2014
If you're saying religion is just politics with stupid headwear, I agree.
Babaji69 wrote:
What Swamiji says about religion?
Now comes the question, can religion really accomplish anything? It can. It brings to man eternal life. It has made man what he is and will make of this human animal a God. That is what religion can do. Take religion from human society and what will remain? Nothing but a forest of brutes. Sense-happiness is not the goal of humanity. Wisdom (Jnana) is the goal of all life. We find that man enjoys his intellect more than animal enjoys its senses, and we see that man enjoys his spiritual nature even more than his rational nature. So the highest wisdom must be this spiritual knowledge. With this knowledge will come bliss. All these things of this world are but shadows, the manifestations in the third or fourth degree of the real Knowledge and Bliss.
#. Now in my little experience I have collected this knowledge: that in spite of all the devilry that religion is blamed with, religion is not at all in fault; no religion ever persecuted men, no religion ever burnt witches, no religion ever did any of these things. What then incited people to do these things? Politics, but never religion; and if such politics takes the name of religion whose fault is that?
#. Religion is the greatest motive power for realizing that infinite energy which is the birthright and nature of every man. In building up character, in making for everything that is good and great, in bringing peace to others, and peace to one's own self, religion is the highest motive power, and therefore, ought to be studied from that standpoint.
CrimeaRiver

UK

#20002 Jan 6, 2014
Babaji69 wrote:
Religious quarrels are always over the husks. When purity, when spirituality goes, leaving the soul dry, quarrels begin, and not before.
do you believe that there can be religion without God? like Buddhism?
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20003 Jan 6, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Which is why your god has time to allow miscarriages, cot deaths and childhood leukaemia?
<quoted text>
If you believe in a God then you will also believe in an existence after death, A heaven if you like ! so death and dying is not such a bad thing in fact it is a blessing ! its how an atheist perceives death that makes it so horrible to them ! Follow me and let the dead bury the dead !
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20004 Jan 6, 2014
I know 100% there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> If you believe in a God then you will also believe in an existence after death, A heaven if you like ! so death and dying is not such a bad thing in fact it is a blessing ! its how an atheist perceives death that makes it so horrible to them ! Follow me and let the dead bury the dead !
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#20005 Jan 6, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I know 100% there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
Please manage even a small village and try to remove "avoidable suffering" from it. It is very easy to pass comments on others!!

Are you not a "compassionate" person,?
Thinking

Poole, UK

#20006 Jan 6, 2014
I've never pretended to be an all powerful god.

If your god can't design suffering out of the small village you postulated, it can't be all powerful and compassionate.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please manage even a small village and try to remove "avoidable suffering" from it. It is very easy to pass comments on others!!

Since: Mar 11

Melbourne, Australia

#20007 Jan 7, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this what God is supposed to do, remove avoidable suffering? It doesn't seem to be working.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#20008 Jan 7, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
My answer to this will totally upset someone with an Atheist belief system ! But you asked so I will tell you as best as I can ! There are many many scenarios that you could class as being "avoidable" But is it really ? Suffering on the other hand serves a purpose that is to teach not to harm ! If you believe in God then you will also believe in a spirit which dwells deep within yourself, That is not of the physical realm, It is not your mind but your spiritual soul ! you are in this physical world to learn to enhance your spiritual soul, God knows your individual weaknesses and also your strengths, The way to learn in the physical world and how god teaches in the physical world is by tests and trials, these trials are what you think of as suffering ! But God has a reason for you as an individual to face these trials, and the reason being is to strengthen your spiritual weaknesses and enhance your spiritual soul ! God knows that your physical and mental being suffers during these trials, but God sees you as an eternal spirit, that spirit does not suffer through these trials but learns from them lessons !
For your Physical being is only but a shell of your true nature and your physical life lasts but a blink of an eye , But the lessons learned in the Physical will last your spiritual for all time !
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#20009 Jan 7, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> If you believe in a God then you will also believe in an existence after death, A heaven if you like !
They usually go together. One superstition is as good as another.
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>
... so death and dying is not such a bad thing in fact it is a blessing !
9/11 and 7/7 would have been impossible without such religious faith. On the other hand, morality has nothing to do with religion. Religionists aren't notably more moral than non-believers. If anything religion is often associated with sectarianism, violence, divisiveness, prejudice and superstition. Nothing particularly moral about it. Religion is largely responsible for Zionism and Islamism.
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>
..its how an atheist perceives death that makes it so horrible to them !
Which atheist called death 'horrible'? but it can be. It is what it is - inevitable (so far).
The madness of religion and religious faith in a sentence.....
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>
Follow me and let the dead bury the dead !
which speaks for itself.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20010 Jan 7, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> If you believe in a God then you will also believe in an existence after death, A heaven if you like ! so death and dying is not such a bad thing in fact it is a blessing ! its how an atheist perceives death that makes it so horrible to them ! Follow me and let the dead bury the dead !
RIP Creationism Inc. 1990-2005.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#20011 Jan 7, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> My answer to this will totally upset someone with an Atheist belief system ! But you asked so I will tell you as best as I can ! There are many many scenarios that you could class as being "avoidable" But is it really ? Suffering on the other hand serves a purpose that is to teach not to harm ! If you believe in God then you will also believe in a spirit which dwells deep within yourself, That is not of the physical realm, It is not your mind but your spiritual soul ! you are in this physical world to learn to enhance your spiritual soul, God knows your individual weaknesses and also your strengths, The way to learn in the physical world and how god teaches in the physical world is by tests and trials, these trials are what you think of as suffering ! But God has a reason for you as an individual to face these trials, and the reason being is to strengthen your spiritual weaknesses and enhance your spiritual soul ! God knows that your physical and mental being suffers during these trials, but God sees you as an eternal spirit, that spirit does not suffer through these trials but learns from them lessons !
For your Physical being is only but a shell of your true nature and your physical life lasts but a blink of an eye , But the lessons learned in the Physical will last your spiritual for all time !
more religious essays from Creationist Cult members who have lost their minds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Eagle 12 - 78,703
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,454
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 14 hr Science 1,410
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web