Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23770 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#19868 Jan 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> Read it again and you will see I do not in any way put forward the idea that matter and life were created at the same moment ! I asked you to use your grey matter to think about what I had written not your Fecal matter :)
Here's what you said dumbass:
trandiode wrote:
But if the universe had no life there would be absolutely no perception by anything whatsoever that the universe exists, it just simply would not exist if there were nothing living to perceive it !
So we can add another one to the questions you refuse to answer because the answers make you cry:

1) If god created the universe, how can he possibly be part of it?
2) If god created the universe then where did he come from?
3) If you claim the universe wouldn't exist if life was there to percieve it, how can that possibly be true unless life began at the same time the universe did?

(cue more willfull ignorance and a refusal to even attempt to make a fair try at answering any of these questions)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#19869 Jan 2, 2014
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you dragging "poor" science into it?
Science is the study of materials and every thing related with material.....it does not have to take any side into the debate.
You are misusing science to judge on a matter which is outside its purview
Why is someone bringing facts and truth into a debate about religion?

Sounds like deep down you know religion has nothing to do with science or facts.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Korea

#19870 Jan 2, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Purpose and meaning has nothing to do with science.They are related to philosophy.
Why do you bring in science in every argument to prove your case?
Purpose and meaning is very much used by the scientific community , Science is used against the belief in God, It is the weapon of Atheists ! Problem is the atheists get it all wrong ! But if you like I can certainly use a philosophical approach but I fear it will go right over your heads because it involves having to use your logic and your imagination an impossibility for an atheist !

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#19871 Jan 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> I did not say that life came at the beginning, but that all the elements for life were created ! There is a vast difference in meaning ! I know it took a long time for life to start but I also know that the elements for life to start were already there just waiting :)!
Really?

Did the bible tell you that?

I ask because science tells me there weren't even any atoms right at the beginning and there was no heavy elements whatsoever till the first stars died.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Korea

#19872 Jan 2, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's what you said dumbass:
<quoted text>
So we can add another one to the questions you refuse to answer because the answers make you cry:
1) If god created the universe, how can he possibly be part of it?
2) If god created the universe then where did he come from?
3) If you claim the universe wouldn't exist if life was there to percieve it, how can that possibly be true unless life began at the same time the universe did?
(cue more willfull ignorance and a refusal to even attempt to make a fair try at answering any of these questions)
Jim go to bed mate perhaps you will think clearer while you are asleep !

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Korea

#19873 Jan 2, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
I ask because science tells me there weren't even any atoms right at the beginning and there was no heavy elements whatsoever till the first stars died.
What a silly thing to say, Your doing Jim out of a job ! LMAO

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 12

Danda, India

#19874 Jan 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>Purpose and meaning is very much used by the scientific community , Science is used against the belief in God, It is the weapon of Atheists ! Problem is the atheists get it all wrong ! But if you like I can certainly use a philosophical approach but I fear it will go right over your heads because it involves having to use your logic and your imagination an impossibility for an atheist !
Scientists may have been using them but it doesn't mean it's a a part of Science.Purpose and meaning are still exclusively the matters of discussion in philosophy.
Science is not against belief of God.Science is "agnostic",a good news for you.It just asks for proofs and explanation.Even I personally believe absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.But that doesn't mean anyone who buttresses his claims on God's existence without good explanation and evidences should be entertained.I do have some respect for Deists because all of their arguments can logically analysed.But the theists or the religious godbots rely too much on their erroneous belief systems.
Which one of the above are you,by the way?
If you're a Deist I am ready for the conventional "Atheist vs Deist" debate.
If you're a theist,let's begin a debate assuming there is a God in which you would be proving "your God" is indeed the real God.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#19875 Jan 2, 2014
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists may have been using them but it doesn't mean it's a a part of Science.Purpose and meaning are still exclusively the matters of discussion in philosophy.
Science is not against belief of God.Science is "agnostic",a good news for you.It just asks for proofs and explanation.Even I personally believe absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.But that doesn't mean anyone who buttresses his claims on God's existence without good explanation and evidences should be entertained.I do have some respect for Deists because all of their arguments can logically analysed.But the theists or the religious godbots rely too much on their erroneous belief systems.
Which one of the above are you,by the way?
If you're a Deist I am ready for the conventional "Atheist vs Deist" debate.
If you're a theist,let's begin a debate assuming there is a God in which you would be proving "your God" is indeed the real God.
Pointless I can not prove anything and neither will you be able to ! There is no room left for a real debate, it will just be battleground of two different belief systems :) I respect your approach though its unique on this thread :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

#19876 Jan 2, 2014
Why do Atheists believe that there are only limited ways of finding God ? Its either reading The Bible, The Koran or The Torah or otherwise you must of been brain washed as a child ? There are other paths believe it or not !

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19877 Jan 2, 2014
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Like me, do you get the feeling we're reasoning with people who feel a need for an imaginary friend?:-)
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
...(cue more willfull ignorance and a refusal to even attempt to make a fair try at answering any of these questions)
I think you've come here from the UK Forum, ICR? I prefer the Atheism Forum as I like the crowd here Bob, Amused, Thinking, Mikko, ISY, RP, & all (even Jim!:-) Also, it's all I have time for. Why would someone come here if they were genuinely interested in religion? There's a Religion Forum for that. Some of them are drawn-in because one thread can be listed on more than one Forum, including religious Forums but some inhabit the Atheism Forum specifically. Clearly this serves some other need in them.

I attend the Atheism Forum sporadically to try to understand the thinking behind religion and religious faith and to confront the harm religion does, such as child genital mutilation for religious purposes, faith school segregation, ID/Creationism, Zionism, Islamism and religious courts. It is interesting to speculate if religious faith will be held in higher regard in the UK than witchcraft when 2038 gets here.(Hope I live to see it!:-) Topix apparently lacks Ethical or Humanist Forums.

I live in the West of Scotland but lived many years in England and London. I'm quite taken aback by how superstitious some religionists here can be. Some seem as bad as they are in the USA (if that doesn't go too far!:-) My RC parish priest accepted that there was no virgin birth, religion is man-made, not God-given and he didn't try to justify religious belief with science. Who would listen to him otherwise? He accepted it was an act of faith and saw Christian teaching using the Bible as allegorical, not literal. Some religionists on Topix can make me wonder if religion shouldn't be seen as a sort of mental sickness in some people, not just ignorance or erroneous 'beliefs'. Maybe that's going too far, but one or two religionists have admitted having had psychiatric help.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

#19878 Jan 2, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Like me, do you get the feeling we're reasoning with people who feel a need for an imaginary friend?:-)
<quoted text>I think you've come here from the UK Forum, ICR? I prefer the Atheism Forum as I like the crowd here Bob, Amused, Thinking, Mikko, ISY, RP, & all (even Jim!:-) Also, it's all I have time for. Why would someone come here if they were genuinely interested in religion? There's a Religion Forum for that. Some of them are drawn-in because one thread can be listed on more than one Forum, including religious Forums but some inhabit the Atheism Forum specifically. Clearly this serves some other need in them.
I attend the Atheism Forum sporadically to try to understand the thinking behind religion and religious faith and to confront the harm religion does, such as child genital mutilation for religious purposes, faith school segregation, ID/Creationism, Zionism, Islamism and religious courts. It is interesting to speculate if religious faith will be held in higher regard in the UK than witchcraft when 2038 gets here.(Hope I live to see it!:-) Topix apparently lacks Ethical or Humanist Forums.
I live in the West of Scotland but lived many years in England and London. I'm quite taken aback by how superstitious some religionists here can be. Some seem as bad as they are in the USA (if that doesn't go too far!:-) My RC parish priest accepted that there was no virgin birth, religion is man-made, not God-given and he didn't try to justify religious belief with science. Who would listen to him otherwise? He accepted it was an act of faith and saw Christian teaching using the Bible as allegorical, not literal. Some religionists on Topix can make me wonder if religion shouldn't be seen as a sort of mental sickness in some people, not just ignorance or erroneous 'beliefs'. Maybe that's going too far, but one or two religionists have admitted having had psychiatric help.
are you really trying to communicate with "I CAN READ) good luck LOL

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19879 Jan 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
Why do Atheists believe that there are only limited ways of finding God ? Its either reading The Bible, The Koran or The Torah or otherwise you must of been brain washed as a child ? There are other paths believe it or not !
Why did you use the term 'divine' earlier?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/divine
Even if some entity created the Universe what exactly is that supposed to mean? Did he use magic?(It always seems to be a he). And perahps you agreeseems a leap in the dark to call it a god, or assign it anthropomorphic attributes such as empathy or interest. Why suppose it is interested in humanity in particular, much less any individual.

And what "path"? I simply follow the evidence. If there ever is any scientific evidence for some kind of god or ultimate creator it will surely be on the TV News and all over the papers.

At least your views seem relatively innocuous and you promote no religion.

The evidence is that we're about 7 billions of people hurtling through space with only our intelligence between us and some future disaster, man-made or otherwise. Nothing more is known nor safely inferred. Religion and idle 'faith' is no help at all. Belief and ultimate personal justification on reaching some sort of afterlife is necessary if one is on a suicide mission like 9/11, but little help otherwise. It seems popular with 'people of faith'(as some describe themselves), or maybe they feel a need for such a belief. Anyone may believe anything one wishes, but we should be aware there can be potentially disastrous consequences due to belief (or faith) that isn't soundly substantiated and firmly founded on reason and evidence - Zionism, Islamism, Creationism/ID and child genital mutilation being only a few.
trandiode

#19880 Jan 2, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Like me, do you get the feeling we're reasoning with people who feel a need for an imaginary friend?:-)
<quoted text>I think you've come here from the UK Forum, ICR? I prefer the Atheism Forum as I like the crowd here Bob, Amused, Thinking, Mikko, ISY, RP, & all (even Jim!:-) Also, it's all I have time for. Why would someone come here if they were genuinely interested in religion? There's a Religion Forum for that. Some of them are drawn-in because one thread can be listed on more than one Forum, including religious Forums but some inhabit the Atheism Forum specifically. Clearly this serves some other need in them.
Sounds like your priest was a very different type of priest that are normally around ! So the moral of this story is The Odd One Out Is The Right One ? The logic astounds me !

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19881 Jan 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like your priest was a very different type of priest that are normally around ! So the moral of this story is The Odd One Out Is The Right One ? The logic astounds me !
It strikes you like that. Most religionists I know don't seriously think belief in god(s) is more than an act of faith. My RC priest was fairly typical and well-respected.

If you're in Australia as your ISP suggests - some of my folks have lived in Australia for years, but it wasn't especially religious or superstitious. Many pay lip-service to religion as religionists aren't known for their tolerance of other religionists still less of non-believers.
trandiode

#19882 Jan 2, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Why did you use the term 'divine' earlier?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/divine
Even if some entity created the Universe what exactly is that supposed to mean? Did he use magic?(It always seems to be a he). And perahps you agreeseems a leap in the dark to call it a god, or assign it anthropomorphic attributes such as empathy or interest. Why suppose it is interested in humanity in particular, much less any individual.
And what "path"? I simply follow the evidence. If there ever is any scientific evidence for some kind of god or ultimate creator it will surely be on the TV News and all over the papers.
At least your views seem relatively innocuous and you promote no religion.
The evidence is that we're about 7 billions of people hurtling through space with only our intelligence between us and some future disaster, man-made or otherwise. Nothing more is known nor safely inferred. Religion and idle 'faith' is no help at all. Belief and ultimate personal justification on reaching some sort of afterlife is necessary if one is on a suicide mission like 9/11, but little help otherwise. It seems popular with 'people of faith'(as some describe themselves), or maybe they feel a need for such a belief. Anyone may believe anything one wishes, but we should be aware there can be potentially disastrous consequences due to belief (or faith) that isn't soundly substantiated and firmly founded on reason and evidence - Zionism, Islamism, Creationism/ID and child genital mutilation being only a few.
I can understand your point of view to a point, I have to admit that there have been some terrible things done to humanity in the name of religion, whether they be by the Roman Catholics, Islam , Protestants or Jews it has been a bane not only on mankind but also in the belief in God itself ! A belief in God contradicts the actions that were (and still are) being done in his name ! But saying that does not mean that God does not exist ! It means that there are plenty of wolves in sheep's clothing out there !

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19883 Jan 2, 2014
EarthyPower that drives mostly human men
LCNin

United States

#19884 Jan 2, 2014
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> I can understand your point of view to a point, I have to admit that there have been some terrible things done to humanity in the name of religion, whether they be by the Roman Catholics, Islam , Protestants or Jews it has been a bane not only on mankind but also in the belief in God itself ! A belief in God contradicts the actions that were (and still are) being done in his name ! But saying that does not mean that God does not exist ! It means that there are plenty of wolves in sheep's clothing out there !
One can find many examples of crimes committed by atheistic communism....
but these crimes
do not describe my atheist friends at breakfast.
Tolerance for the other persons ideas still seems a virtue ...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19885 Jan 2, 2014
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>
One can find many examples of crimes committed by atheistic communism....
but these crimes
do not describe my atheist friends at breakfast.
Tolerance for the other persons ideas still seems a virtue ...
'Atheistic communism'? And you claim your not a troll. Atheism isn't responsible for communism as you know fine well, it is simply disbelief in god(s).

Religion = superstition.
LCNin

United States

#19886 Jan 2, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>'Atheistic communism'? And you claim your not a troll. Atheism isn't responsible for communism as you know fine well, it is simply disbelief in god(s).
Religion = superstition.
Marxist–Leninist atheism (Russian: &#1052;&#1072;&#10 88;&#1082;&#1089;& #1080;&#1089;&#1090; &#1089;&#1082;&#10 86;-&#1083;&#1077; &#1085;&#1080;&#10 85;&#1089;&#1082;& #1080;&#1081; &#1072;&#1090;&#10 77;&#1080;&#1079;& #1084;) is a part of the wider Marxist–Leninist philosophy (the type of Marxist philosophy found in the Soviet Union),

which rejects religion[1][2] and advocates a materialist understanding of nature

.[3] Marxism-Leninism holds that religion is the opium of the people, in the sense of promoting passive acceptance of suffering on Earth in the hope of eternal reward. Therefore, Marxism-Leninism advocates the abolition of religion and the acceptance of atheism.[4][5] Marxist-Leninist atheism has its roots in the philosophy of Ludwig Feuerbach, G.W.F. Hegel, Karl Marx, and Vladimir Lenin.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxist&#821...
jacktheladat1

Sheffield, UK

#19887 Jan 2, 2014
LuzAranda wrote:
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me. Religion bothers you, uhg? Ugly philosophy? you have anything to think about? Give your 'hatred' a break, your need for attention's not needed. Let there be peace, the peace that is meant to be and let began with YOU.
Peace on Earth is but a pipe dream.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min ChristineM 31,315
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr ChristineM 255,314
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr ChristineM 9,738
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr ChristineM 13,306
Majority of Scots now have no religion 5 hr Eagle 12 9
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr Eagle 12 4,352
News Speaking for God 7 hr Richardfs 593
More from around the web