Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,565

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Read more

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19686 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
Our science is in its infancy, It has barely touched the surface of Existence ! You know that ! I know that ! So why do you think it possible that it comes anywhere near to knowing what existence is all about ? Where why and how we and the known universe were all created ?????? Defies logic to me !
Yes: science is only getting started.

But-- in it's (as you put it) infancy, science has out-stripped (as measured by success)**all** other methodologies of inquiry.

Combined.

This computer? The internet? That screen you are looking at? All created because of **science**.

What has **religion** discovered?

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Not a thing that is **new** or **useful**.

**ALL** religion is just re-hashed, re-branded and plagiarized bs, stolen from earlier religions only with a fancy gold-crusted new name.

So you can try to bad-mouth scientific achievement all you like.

But first?

Get rid of that computer-- it's science-based.
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#19687 Dec 29, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called love, altruism, generosity and sacrifice, and it's very good to see.
This sounds very outmoded in out selfish and violent society, but in fact those ate good virtues.
That was my point. Christians spend about an hour and a half a week in their church and leave their donations which are used to pay the preacher's salary, rent and travel expenses, building expansions, stained glass and mahogany pews, steeples, expensive musical instruments and sound systems, youth programs, religious retreats, missionaries, their denomination headquarters or their convention, etc. Outside of world governments the church owns and controls more real property than any other entity on earth. The poor be damned. Christians live just like everyone else until an opportunity to play the religion card presents itself.

What about:

Matthew 6:.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.

Do you have a 401K or a savings account?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19688 Dec 29, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called love, altruism, generosity and sacrifice, and it's very good to see.
This sounds very outmoded in out selfish and violent society, but in fact those ate good virtues.
Alas: few (if any) modern religions actually **practice** what you just said.

It's quite sad, really.

But?

It is **proof** that there are **no** gods who give a crap-- for if gods **did**?

They would **do** something about their selfish, bigoted and all too often murderous spokes-persons.

That these people continue to get away with literal murder in the names of their gods?

Proves that either the gods are pro-murder (and if so-- heaven help us!) or else these gods simply have no power.... of any kind.

Meaning they are not really gods at all. May as well not even exist, in that case.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#19689 Dec 29, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the first intelligent statement on this thread.
Let people who cling on to that possibility take their chance.
I let you think otherwise.
no such thing as god because omnipotence is scientifically impossible.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#19690 Dec 29, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But none of that has anything to do with religion. Religionists aren't better than you or I.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds very outmoded in out selfish and violent society, but in fact those a[r]e good virtues.
It doesn't sound outmoded and those are human virtues, not exclusively those of religionists.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19691 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
God is simply Energy and the forces in nature. It is eternal, omnipotent and omnipresent. It includes gravitation, electromagnetism, and the nuclear forces. Daniel 11:38 "But in his estate shall he honor the God of forces..." Energy is the husband of the Lord (Messiah) and they are one flesh. "For thy Maker is thine husband..." Isaiah 54:5, Genesis 2:24.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#19692 Dec 29, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>But none of that has anything to do with religion. Religionists aren't better than you or I.
<quoted text>It doesn't sound outmoded and those are human virtues, not exclusively those of religionists.
Correct

and

Correct
rio

Beckenham, UK

#19693 Dec 29, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>

God is simply Energy and the forces in nature..
It's a theory I like too.

We are surrounded by spiritual energy, according to some ...
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#19694 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention big fish puking up live men, living through a 1200 degree furnace, a flood which covered the earth to a depth of five miles and evaporated within a few weeks, walls which collapsed at the sound of a trumpet, a human being turned into salt in the twinkling of an eye, walking on water, virgin birth, raising from the dead, water into wine, resurrection etc. When it comes to fairy tales I'm a Jack and the Beanstalk man.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#19695 Dec 29, 2013
Campbell wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention big fish puking up live men, living through a 1200 degree furnace, a flood which covered the earth to a depth of five miles and evaporated within a few weeks, walls which collapsed at the sound of a trumpet, a human being turned into salt in the twinkling of an eye, walking on water, virgin birth, raising from the dead, water into wine, resurrection etc. When it comes to fairy tales I'm a Jack and the Beanstalk man.
That is religious dogma, different from belief in God.
spider

Ely, UK

#19696 Dec 29, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a theory I like too.
We are surrounded by spiritual energy, according to some ...
Would you care to expand on that theory Rio,,? god and nature one and the same ? Nature is random, no thought or control, violent and unforgiving in some circumstances, but providing the support for life in others,,, If that description is to be applied to a god, then I know I am on the right path.
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#19697 Dec 29, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
That is religious dogma, different from belief in God.
So does that mean that those who believe they will rise from their grave and meet their ghost pal floating on a cloud and fly off to paradise on gossamer wings to live in a guarded community behind pearly gates forever while those who believe different dogma roast on an eternal rotisserie are right or wrong?
rio

London, UK

#19698 Dec 29, 2013
Campbell wrote:
<quoted text>
So does that mean that those who believe they will rise from their grave and meet their ghost pal floating on a cloud and fly off to paradise on gossamer wings to live in a guarded community behind pearly gates forever while those who believe different dogma roast on an eternal rotisserie are right or wrong?
What you are talking abouty is the revelations from some religions, and that has nothing to do with recognising a god itself.
There is all a myth and legend built around the belief in God to create the social structure that is a religion.
If anything, a religion wants to control the way you believe in God, and invents a protocol around it. It's about controling people who share a belief. It creates a hierarchy, embelishing and creating a myth.
rio

London, UK

#19701 Dec 29, 2013
Hugh Janus wrote:
hey Ronan?Rio - if you are so clever about the origins of the universe, read this and call us later to debate it.
http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.ashx...
Dud Fivers under another ID.

No, I didn't understand one thing about it, I admit, not being scientifically minded at all.

But I didn't read nowhere in this article a mention about God, or a negation of God, or anything related to reliegious reliefs.

What is your point, beside posing as a pompous fart?
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#19702 Dec 29, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are talking abouty is the revelations from some religions, and that has nothing to do with recognising a god itself.
There is all a myth and legend built around the belief in God to create the social structure that is a religion.
If anything, a religion wants to control the way you believe in God, and invents a protocol around it. It's about controling people who share a belief. It creates a hierarchy, embelishing and creating a myth.
I'm having a little trouble here. You appear to be trying to argue with me when it couldn't be more obvious that we feel the same way about a bunch of ignorant bible thumpers and virgin hunters.
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#19703 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
You can start talking when you have:
1. Evidence of god being real and not a religious fraud like it is proven to be.
2. Evidence that Evolution is false (nobody has ever found any)
3. Evidence that you understand science fully enough to criticise it.
Yes there is NO evidence that Evolution is False, But when it comes to evidence to support Evolution, There is no evidence to support it either ! Especially when it comes to Human Beings :) Even Darwin himself had a problem with it !

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#19704 Dec 29, 2013
Science tries to find out how God created things by dissection, then gives it a name when it finds something miniscule then acts like its the full answer ! yet science cannot create life from nothing ! I think Its to give atheists some sort of reassurance about their existence ! Its the crutch for atheists :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#19705 Dec 29, 2013
Believe it or not and argue it as much as you like but you will have to accept it that ATHEISM IS A BELIEF SYSTEM !:)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
trandiode

Adelaide, Australia

#19706 Dec 29, 2013
There is a difference from believing in a God and the belief in the Bible ! Separate the issue ! Atheists believe in NO God whatsoever ! Do they not ?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19707 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
There is a difference from believing in a God and the belief in the Bible ! Separate the issue ! Atheists believe in NO God whatsoever ! Do they not ?
They do not.

Atheism means without faith, silly person.

Belief in no god requires faith-- and is just as untenable as believe in god.

The problem? Is that faith is pretty much systematic insanity.

Faith is lying to yourself.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 10 min ChristineM 6,226
News 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma (Jul '13) 1 hr Patrick n Angela 7,546
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Patrick n Angela 17,896
News Atheist monument to counter ten commandments (Jul '13) 1 hr Patrick n Angela 12
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr ChristineM 236,716
News Is Religion Childish? 3 hr ChristineM 159
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 9 hr Lumatrix 14,488
More from around the web