Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Jim

London, UK

#19657 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
Atheists believe in nothing, For Nothing is where the universe came from ! From nothing came everything ! I think it is far more logical to believe in a God than to believe in a scientific proven impossibility that is called "Nothing "
Atheism is not a belief, its a disbelief in Religion.

Think of anything you can that is Religious. Now disbelieve it, and you have Atheism.

Most Atheists disbelief religion for different reasons. Some reasons are:

1. No evidence of god.
2. Strong evidence that religious people lie about god
3. Religious books full of psychotic drivel and no bearing on reality
4. Violence and hate created by religion
spider

Cambridge, UK

#19658 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text>The big bang theory explains NOTHING ! For you to use science as an argument against a divine being you have to explain the whole of existence ! The big Bang Theory supposes that existence came from absolutely nothing, Yet Nothing does not exist it is only a mathematical concept ! So the big bang came from something ! So what was that ?
The difficulty or concept for most people is governed by the notion that they think every thing has a beginning and end. If you can get your thought process past this hurdle then you will be getting somewhere. If you read my post again you will see that I implied that the universes are continuous regeneration.
Why are you unable to accept that matter can exist, purely because it does.
If evolution hadn't produced man, then the debate over creationism and evolution wouldn't exist,,,,, had you considered that ?
Jim

London, UK

#19659 Dec 29, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
The difficulty or concept for most people is governed by the notion that they think every thing has a beginning and end. If you can get your thought process past this hurdle then you will be getting somewhere. If you read my post again you will see that I implied that the universes are continuous regeneration.
Why are you unable to accept that matter can exist, purely because it does.
If evolution hadn't produced man, then the debate over creationism and evolution wouldn't exist,,,,, had you considered that ?
Religious people don't want to think. They would rather suck up simple answers and not ask too many questions.

Ignorance is a virtue to the religious. They are blissful thinking they are right.
Jim

London, UK

#19660 Dec 29, 2013
Where a religious person asks an Atheist to explain Evolution or the Big Bang theory - they have no real interest in either of these topic.

It is a lie that they care about science or scientific theories.

They ask because they want to ridicule what they think are your *beliefs* as an Atheist.

Naturally, scientific facts like Evolution and theories like Big Bang are based on facts and reality, making them impossible to ridicule.

So religious cannot understand at an Atheist cannot be offended by simple ignorance of science.

A religious person thinks that Atheists *believe* these *stories* instead of realising that they are not *stories* but actually scientific facts and findings from reality itself - the way the world undeniably actually works.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#19661 Dec 29, 2013
The conclusion I reached long ago is this.
Some people, through fear or a desire to control others turned to the idea of creationism. For those with fear, the idea that they do not have an all powerfull big brother watching over them and guiding them through life is frightening. For those who wish to control, no explanation is required other than greed and selfishness.
The very thought that we as individuals have to rely on ourselves as individuals is not an easy pill to swallow,,, the goodwill of others is a long way of , as the past and present attitude of man has and still proves.
Prior to my existence I had no thoughts on this or any other issue,, nor will I when I cease to be.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#19662 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious people don't want to think. They would rather suck up simple answers and not ask too many questions.
Ignorance is a virtue to the religious. They are blissful thinking they are right.
I agree Jim,, I also believe fear of the unknown plays a large part in their denial.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#19663 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
John Hagee attacks learning.
trandiode

Walkley Heights, Australia

#19664 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientific theories are based on observed evidence - things that can be measured again and again to prove they are real phenomenon.
Religion is based on a human written book of lies that is innacurate, hateful and misleading.
It is wrong on several facts, including the age of the earth and basic biology.
So how do you measure the big bang theory over and over again ?
trandiode

#19665 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
Where a religious person asks an Atheist to explain Evolution or the Big Bang theory - they have no real interest in either of these topic.
It is a lie that they care about science or scientific theories.
They ask because they want to ridicule what they think are your *beliefs* as an Atheist.
Naturally, scientific facts like Evolution and theories like Big Bang are based on facts and reality, making them impossible to ridicule.
So religious cannot understand at an Atheist cannot be offended by simple ignorance of science.
A religious person thinks that Atheists *believe* these *stories* instead of realising that they are not *stories* but actually scientific facts and findings from reality itself - the way the world undeniably actually works.
So Science is your God ? And your belief system ?
trandiode

#19666 Dec 29, 2013
Our science is in its infancy, It has barely touched the surface of Existence ! You know that ! I know that ! So why do you think it possible that it comes anywhere near to knowing what existence is all about ? Where why and how we and the known universe were all created ?????? Defies logic to me !
LCNin

United States

#19667 Dec 29, 2013
Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, Jews and Muslims most often learn from each other in peace and tranquility.
Our hope for 2014.
Best wishes to all
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#19668 Dec 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
oh how I wish it were true that the worst sorts of religion would fade out. I am not that optimistic. I would settle for just getting rid of the evil aspects of religion. the ones that are harmless. i have Christian friends who have gotten rid of some of the worst parts, I think, in their views.
Most wars, fanatics, snake handlers, witch hunts, the crusades, the Inquisitions, supporting slavery, subjugation of women, prejudice against any one who disagreed with them, persecution of homosexuals...please tell me that any religion on the face of the earth or one which has existed in modern times has ever done more good than it has harm. No one can because it didn't happen.
Jim

London, UK

#19669 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> So how do you measure the big bang theory over and over again ?
Once again, if you bothered to study Physics or apply your head and find answers you would not need an Atheist to teach you science through a forum.
Jim

London, UK

#19670 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
<quoted text> So Science is your God ? And your belief system ?
There's no such thing as god. Nobody has a god. Some people suffer from an illness where they have to tell religious lies to save their ego being hurt by scientific facts.
Jim

London, UK

#19671 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
Our science is in its infancy, It has barely touched the surface of Existence ! You know that ! I know that ! So why do you think it possible that it comes anywhere near to knowing what existence is all about ? Where why and how we and the known universe were all created ?????? Defies logic to me !
You can start talking when you have:

1. Evidence of god being real and not a religious fraud like it is proven to be.
2. Evidence that Evolution is false (nobody has ever found any)
3. Evidence that you understand science fully enough to criticise it.
Jim

London, UK

#19672 Dec 29, 2013
trandiode wrote:
Atheism is a simple disbelief in religion and religious liars like you.

It is religion that makes claims and can't back them up. Meanwhile, Science just does its thing, discovering the true nature of reality through observational evidence and sending people to the moon and back.
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#19673 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no such thing as god. Nobody has a god. Some people suffer from an illness where they have to tell religious lies to save their ego being hurt by scientific facts.
Religion is a crutch.....most people cannot handle adverse occurrences in their life.
LCNin

United States

#19674 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
When cornered evangelical atheist trolls usually try to put down their opponent's religion

not realizing that their belief that there is no god

is no more or less valid or provable

than the other guy's belief that there is one.

Peace
Jim

London, UK

#19675 Dec 29, 2013
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>
When cornered evangelical atheist trolls usually try to put down their opponent's religion
not realizing that their belief that there is no god
is no more or less valid or provable
than the other guy's belief that there is one.
Peace
A simple reminder: "thou shalt not lie"

Obviously not afraid of imaginary god.
Jim

London, UK

#19676 Dec 29, 2013
Its stupid of Creationists like LCN to demand that Atheists suddenly start believing that the earth is just 3000 years old.

Creationists should learn to show more respect to Athiests who have scientific facts to back up their conclusions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 49 min Samuel Patre 94,304
News Geoff Robson is wrong about Richard Dawkins, th... 2 hr nanoanomaly 1
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 2 hr nanoanomaly 5,973
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 14 hr Eagle 12 - 142
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 21 Guest 6
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3