Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
18,201 - 18,220 of 21,455 Comments Last updated 48 min ago

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I'm past trying to reason with religionists on here. I had to laugh when one 'explained to me' that religion isn't based on reason. He called me stupid for 'not knowing that'- as if I didn't know! Talk about slow, lol!
Skeptic might have been unduly rude, but he was definitely bright 'n' right compared to 'our' religionists. I just think it's helpful to keep stating the obvious for the benefit of those who think religion isn't harmful. They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.
Perhaps its best not to leave these boards entirely in the hands of the superstitious, the deluded and the mentally defective; and it is so easy to demolish religious faith. I think it persists as a legacy of human development (like 'revelation', witchcraft and Voodoo) and partly due to the human phenomenon Hans Christian Anderson observed when he wrote about the Emperor with no clothes - sometimes one just have to stand back and ask what's really happening. The community of ideas of 7 billion people can only be adjusted over time even with modern communications, 24/7 media, social media and the Internet.
Agreed. It's hard for those entrenched in the system doing the harm to actually understand why what they're doing is harmful... because it isn't happening to them

It's 'Mob Mentality' on full display. It's very difficult for the more moderate members of a 'mob' to voice opposition to the actions of that 'mob' because they've seen what that 'mob' is capable of... and they fear it... so they remain quiet for fear of upsetting the apple-cart no matter how wrong they think the 'mob' is.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I'm past trying to reason with religionists on here. I had to laugh when one 'explained to me' that religion isn't based on reason. He called me stupid for 'not knowing that'- as if I didn't know! Talk about slow, lol!
Skeptic might have been unduly rude, but he was definitely bright 'n' right compared to 'our' religionists. I just think it's helpful to keep stating the obvious for the benefit of those who think religion isn't harmful. They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.
Perhaps its best not to leave these boards entirely in the hands of the superstitious, the deluded and the mentally defective; and it is so easy to demolish religious faith. I think it persists as a legacy of human development (like 'revelation', witchcraft and Voodoo) and partly due to the human phenomenon Hans Christian Anderson observed when he wrote about the Emperor with no clothes - sometimes one just have to stand back and ask what's really happening. The community of ideas of 7 billion people can only be adjusted over time even with modern communications, 24/7 media, social media and the Internet.
and WHAT is really happening? escape from poverty without brainwashing is a good beginning.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

LuzAranda wrote:
Robert Heinlein NEVER HERD OF HIM.He's not in my universe. Plagiarism charge, sorry, ain't got no money to pay for his materialistic, authoristic,fiendish property. His idea proclaimed to the world as being his? Let it be, my apologies for daring to have had the same thoughts. I am happy to have 'free' thinking power even being a woman. It's a laughing matter, as you say anyway, and again I plagiarize even your own words. Contagious, runs around.
Naturally: your ignorance is without limit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

LuzAranda wrote:
Bob of miniscule faith: you question a POWER greater than anything imaginable, Sad. Your universe must be finite even if you're alive. Let go of our pride, experience humility, the true power of GOD.
No. I question the power of your near-total idiocy.

Your ignorance of pretty much everything is without limit.

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>it almost sounds familiar... like a poster named "Deb" something from Mesa, i believe. She came off as not fully baked as well
None of them are complete. It's as if they each had a frontal lobotomy.

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
What I find the most interesting?

Is that all modern forms of communication were basically invented by secularists; little that we use today, was from religious people.

To me, that is the definitive proof; if there *were* a magical deity somewhere? Would not *all* the modern successes and really brilliant ideas, be coming from the extremely devout?

And the "we don't do materialism" doesn't cut it-- looking around the place, and the trillions of $$ that religion rakes in?

They most definitely *do* materialism.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

LuzAranda wrote:
<quoted text>and WHAT is really happening? escape from poverty without brainwashing is a good beginning.
On this, we both agree: no brainwashing (religion/faith) is good.

And nobody *ever* escaped poverty using **religion**.

Because religion teaches that to be poor, is somehow magic or something equally stupid.

Religion prefers it's membership to remain poor-- wealth is the *exclusive* property of the top leadership in your typical religion.

Only those who "speak directly to god" get to enjoy wealth-- from the labors of the multitude of poor who send in their pittances.

And, of course, with enough pittances? You get... wealth.

Concentrated in the leaders, naturally.

.... and you?

YOU ARE HELPING.

Sad.
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
"They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.

Communist Atheist governments murdered tens of million in the USSR, Cambodia, North Korea, China etc.
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
On this, we both agree: no brainwashing (religion/faith) is good.
And nobody *ever* escaped poverty using **religion**.
Because religion teaches that to be poor, is somehow magic or something equally stupid.
Religion prefers it's membership to remain poor-- wealth is the *exclusive* property of the top leadership in your typical religion.
Only those who "speak directly to god" get to enjoy wealth-- from the labors of the multitude of poor who send in their pittances.
And, of course, with enough pittances? You get... wealth.
Concentrated in the leaders, naturally.
.... and you?
YOU ARE HELPING.
Sad.
"And nobody *ever* escaped poverty using **religion**."

Usual collection of generalizations unsupported by documentation?
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
"They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.
Communist Atheist governments murdered tens of million in the USSR, Cambodia, North Korea, China etc.
Atheists are not communists and nobody killed in the name of atheism.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Usual collection of generalizations unsupported by documentation?
This is called religion.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not saying it of my own. It is God who tells us in His revelation to His last prophet, the same message He revealed to all past prophets.
The prophets say the same thing again and again....but the rejecters keep on changing their stance.
You are the one changing your story every time, not God or His Prophets and messengers.
"t is God who tells us in His revelation to His last prophet, the same message He revealed to all past prophets."

So God does not speak directly to you but you must rely on what some other person has said who claims God has spoken to.

You rely on hearsay to guide you.

Why has your God forsaken you in favor of the prophets of long ago?

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The bible is about the God of Israel, and that God does not change. Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed". We can only trust and assume that the OT accurately portrays God. It's the only record we have and it will be used to prove the coming redeemer is the God of the Jews. The nation of Israel was created for this reason, for God to become the King of the universe.
"We can only trust and assume that the OT accurately portrays God."

And if it doesn't?

Where will you go from there?

If you conclude that the Bible is suspect, will you go on a murderous rampage?

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
Happy Christmas to all
Christmas in the US celebrated in the White House by President Obama
Happy Holiday to you too!

Now if only we could extend the whole "Peace on Earth" beyond one day in December...

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

Judged:

LuzAranda wrote:
GOD is the answer for anything and everything. How do you prove what will NOT agree to it. God is aware of our childish need for 'PROOF' and that is where you meet the END of the road.
Well, I'm convinced.

Jesus HAS returned and turned your water into WINE!

100 PROOF WINE!

But don't drive after you've drunken your fill for the END of the road might be a telephone pole.

With all your heavenly glory, we still have to clean up your mess.

Letting the coyotes do that would be inhumane for some reason that I have forgotten.

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

Judged:

LuzAranda wrote:
We are here on earth at the mercy of ONE ETERNAL GOD! Get it? God IS Almighty but no pansy. You as a human being can't handle the TRUTH? Read, study the Bible. Find your own answer as to Who this Personal God IS. We are not forced to believe anything, the God-Concept has been around since life began, since HE made it. God will not cram HIS Existence down your throat or wherever your own brain is at. Sit quietly and ponder the Reality of Life. The Concept is REAL but you can either believe or not. PROOF is within you, give it a chance, care for anyone around? LOVE is banned if you don't. PROOF, don't need it.
HE? HIS?

Since when can a male give birth to life?

Men are quite talented at taking life, but I don't recall seeing any stories of a man being pregnant.

If God created life, why would you use the male pronouns there?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

Judged:

Yet Cuban catholics often are...
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are not communists...

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Nothing creates... Nothing

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
oh how I wish it were true that the worst sorts of religion would fade out. I am not that optimistic. I would settle for just getting rid of the evil aspects of religion. the ones that are harmless. i have Christian friends who have gotten rid of some of the worst parts, I think, in their views.
Now this first post is the only atheist I know who wishes religion would die out, but realizes that it won't.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

Judged:

Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Now this first post is the only atheist I know who wishes religion would die out, but realizes that it won't.
You still haven't explained how your "hospital" can deny critical health care issues, and still claim to be a "hospital".

Why *is* that?

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2013

Judged:

greymouser YOU are a piece of excrement yourself May God have mercy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••