Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19286 Dec 12, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The bible is about the God of Israel, and that God does not change. Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed". We can only trust and assume that the OT accurately portrays God. It's the only record we have and it will be used to prove the coming redeemer is the God of the Jews. The nation of Israel was created for this reason, for God to become the King of the universe.
"We can only trust and assume that the OT accurately portrays God."

And if it doesn't?

Where will you go from there?

If you conclude that the Bible is suspect, will you go on a murderous rampage?

Nehwon

#19287 Dec 12, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Happy Christmas to all
Christmas in the US celebrated in the White House by President Obama
Happy Holiday to you too!

Now if only we could extend the whole "Peace on Earth" beyond one day in December...

Nehwon

#19288 Dec 12, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
GOD is the answer for anything and everything. How do you prove what will NOT agree to it. God is aware of our childish need for 'PROOF' and that is where you meet the END of the road.
Well, I'm convinced.

Jesus HAS returned and turned your water into WINE!

100 PROOF WINE!

But don't drive after you've drunken your fill for the END of the road might be a telephone pole.

With all your heavenly glory, we still have to clean up your mess.

Letting the coyotes do that would be inhumane for some reason that I have forgotten.

Nehwon

#19289 Dec 12, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
We are here on earth at the mercy of ONE ETERNAL GOD! Get it? God IS Almighty but no pansy. You as a human being can't handle the TRUTH? Read, study the Bible. Find your own answer as to Who this Personal God IS. We are not forced to believe anything, the God-Concept has been around since life began, since HE made it. God will not cram HIS Existence down your throat or wherever your own brain is at. Sit quietly and ponder the Reality of Life. The Concept is REAL but you can either believe or not. PROOF is within you, give it a chance, care for anyone around? LOVE is banned if you don't. PROOF, don't need it.
HE? HIS?

Since when can a male give birth to life?

Men are quite talented at taking life, but I don't recall seeing any stories of a man being pregnant.

If God created life, why would you use the male pronouns there?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19290 Dec 12, 2013
Yet Cuban catholics often are...
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are not communists...

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#19291 Dec 12, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
oh how I wish it were true that the worst sorts of religion would fade out. I am not that optimistic. I would settle for just getting rid of the evil aspects of religion. the ones that are harmless. i have Christian friends who have gotten rid of some of the worst parts, I think, in their views.
Now this first post is the only atheist I know who wishes religion would die out, but realizes that it won't.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19292 Dec 12, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Now this first post is the only atheist I know who wishes religion would die out, but realizes that it won't.
You still haven't explained how your "hospital" can deny critical health care issues, and still claim to be a "hospital".

Why *is* that?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19293 Dec 12, 2013
greymouser YOU are a piece of excrement yourself May God have mercy.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19294 Dec 12, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
greymouser YOU are a piece of excrement yourself May God have mercy.
Right.

Because Jewsus always called people he did not agree with, a "piece of excrement".

He was funny that way.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LCNLin

United States

#19295 Dec 12, 2013
After 82,000 odd posts He is melting down like the witch in Wizard of Oz?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19296 Dec 12, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
"We can only trust and assume that the OT accurately portrays God."
And if it doesn't?
Where will you go from there?
If you conclude that the Bible is suspect, will you go on a murderous rampage?
I do not sin and murder is a grievous sin. I don't believe the OT is perfect and the Messiah will act upon what is in her heart. The breaking of scripture is the fulfillment of scripture. The flying roll (my diary) said, "I broke my heel, they wanted to put it in a cast, but I wouldn't let them". I've actually never broken a bone, Psalm 34:20 and I just bruised my heel but that "scripture" means something. Something is broken but that doesn't mean everything in the future is all broken together.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19297 Dec 12, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
HE? HIS?
Since when can a male give birth to life?
Men are quite talented at taking life, but I don't recall seeing any stories of a man being pregnant.
If God created life, why would you use the male pronouns there?
You're starting to understand, GM. God is likened to a "travailing woman" laboring in childbirth. Jeremiah 30:6 "Ask ye now, and see whether a man doth travail with child? wherefore do I see every man with his hands on his loins, as a woman in travail, and all faces are turned into paleness? Only women create.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19298 Dec 12, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
"t is God who tells us in His revelation to His last prophet, the same message He revealed to all past prophets."
So God does not speak directly to you but you must rely on what some other person has said who claims God has spoken to.
You rely on hearsay to guide you.
Why has your God forsaken you in favor of the prophets of long ago?
Don't you "read" all these statements coming from your President, did he tells you directly?

God speaks to humans thru the office of Prophets. This is as old as human civlization.

If God were to speak to each and every human, there would be infinite number of religions and every one would be a "religion in himslef or herself".

Never managed any thing, did you?

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#19299 Dec 13, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you "read" all these statements coming from your President, did he tells you directly?
God speaks to humans thru the office of Prophets. This is as old as human civlization.
If God were to speak to each and every human, there would be infinite number of religions and every one would be a "religion in himslef or herself".
Why do you always come up with stupid analogies like this?
If I say I am the Prime Minister of India posting under a fake internet moniker would you believe me?Won't you ask for evidences?
Presidents communicate to masses through authorized media.No one would believe in the words of a random person/organization who claims himself/itself the messenger of a nation's President unless he/it is publicly recognized of having such an authority.
Any random person cannot be trusted if he or she merely claims that they are the President of a country or a messenger or a communicator of the President.
Your prophets seem to have self-authorized themselves.No one knows if the supposed existing God had really chosen them as prophets.
No one knows God exists.In the former case,we do know President exist.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#19300 Dec 13, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong!
If the supposed God communicated same messages directly to everyone then we would be having the same religion.The so called prophets seem to have copied their precedents' made up stories and had added their own tenets to the so called religious scriptures and hence there are differences among Abrahamic religions even though they share common prophets.
So tell me,if having prophets was the best solution why do we have so many religions?
Christians blame Jews for the corruption of Holy Scriptures.Muslims blame both Christians and Jews for it. Mohammed is considered to be a fraud/charlatan by Jews and Christians.
If you People of the Book can't reach an unanimity of who is wrong and right then why do you think having prophets is the best of all ideas to convey the messages of your God?
Jim

UK

#19301 Dec 13, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
After 82,000 odd posts He is melting down like the witch in Wizard of Oz?
Sort of like religion. All that time wasted talking to nothing, killing the different. The pursuit of godliness leads to real evil.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#19302 Dec 13, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>..If the supposed God communicated same messages directly to everyone then we would be having the same religion.The so called prophets seem to have copied their precedents' made up stories and had added their own tenets to the so called religious scriptures and hence there are differences among Abrahamic religions even though they share common prophets...
Good point. A loving God would speak the same message to everyone at the same time, so that all people in the world would have exactly the same chance of being "saved" and there would be no confusion over the message. There would be no contradictory and warring religions and everyone would agree exactly on the message and understand clearly what was required. The fact that "God" is silent and the only people who claim to hear him are crazy is proof that the Abrahamic God is imaginary.
LCNLin

United States

#19303 Dec 13, 2013
An Atheist, an Agnostic, a Christian and and a Jewish person enter the same pub.

They order food and dring , then talk for two hours about each others lives, each other's hopes and dreams .

They depart agreeing to meet next week at the same time as they have for years.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19304 Dec 13, 2013
Religion = superstition
It's outdated, divisive and nothing but trouble these days.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LCNLin

United States

#19305 Dec 13, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Religion = superstition
It's outdated, divisive and nothing but trouble these days.
EdSed possibly is outdated, divisive and nothing but trouble these days

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min candlesmell 94,135
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 7 hr blacklagoon 3 134
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 15 dollarsbill 5
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971