Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23869 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19266 Dec 10, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
What? God created Himself, of course!
You are guilty of plagiarism.

Robert Heinlein's novella, "All You Zombies" had this idea long before you did.

<laughing still>

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19267 Dec 11, 2013
Ouroboros - great short story.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You are guilty of plagiarism.
Robert Heinlein's novella, "All You Zombies" had this idea long before you did.
<laughing still>

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19268 Dec 11, 2013
Robert Heinlein NEVER HERD OF HIM.He's not in my universe. Plagiarism charge, sorry, ain't got no money to pay for his materialistic, authoristic,fiendish property. His idea proclaimed to the world as being his? Let it be, my apologies for daring to have had the same thoughts. I am happy to have 'free' thinking power even being a woman. It's a laughing matter, as you say anyway, and again I plagiarize even your own words. Contagious, runs around.

Hatch, NM

#19269 Dec 11, 2013
Bob of miniscule faith: you question a POWER greater than anything imaginable, Sad. Your universe must be finite even if you're alive. Let go of our pride, experience humility, the true power of GOD.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19270 Dec 11, 2013
It seems odd to herd an individual.
LuzAranda wrote:
Robert Heinlein NEVER HERD OF HIM.

Hatch, NM

#19271 Dec 11, 2013
HaaHaaHa! that's how my computer spelled it. I didn't catch it until it was already in. Now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense. We are such sensitive 'individuals' always proclaiming FREEDOM. Good night.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#19272 Dec 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed.
You can always tell when he's writing his own words-- they make little sense.
Otherwise, he posts SPAM.
it almost sounds familiar... like a poster named "Deb" something from Mesa, i believe. She came off as not fully baked as well
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19273 Dec 11, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>it almost sounds familiar... like a poster named "Deb" something from Mesa, i believe. She came off as not fully baked as well
I'm past trying to reason with religionists on here. I had to laugh when one 'explained to me' that religion isn't based on reason. He called me stupid for 'not knowing that'- as if I didn't know! Talk about slow, lol!

Skeptic might have been unduly rude, but he was definitely bright 'n' right compared to 'our' religionists. I just think it's helpful to keep stating the obvious for the benefit of those who think religion isn't harmful. They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.

Perhaps its best not to leave these boards entirely in the hands of the superstitious, the deluded and the mentally defective; and it is so easy to demolish religious faith. I think it persists as a legacy of human development (like 'revelation', witchcraft and Voodoo) and partly due to the human phenomenon Hans Christian Anderson observed when he wrote about the Emperor with no clothes - sometimes one just have to stand back and ask what's really happening. The community of ideas of 7 billion people can only be adjusted over time even with modern communications, 24/7 media, social media and the Internet.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#19274 Dec 11, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I'm past trying to reason with religionists on here. I had to laugh when one 'explained to me' that religion isn't based on reason. He called me stupid for 'not knowing that'- as if I didn't know! Talk about slow, lol!
Skeptic might have been unduly rude, but he was definitely bright 'n' right compared to 'our' religionists. I just think it's helpful to keep stating the obvious for the benefit of those who think religion isn't harmful. They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.
Perhaps its best not to leave these boards entirely in the hands of the superstitious, the deluded and the mentally defective; and it is so easy to demolish religious faith. I think it persists as a legacy of human development (like 'revelation', witchcraft and Voodoo) and partly due to the human phenomenon Hans Christian Anderson observed when he wrote about the Emperor with no clothes - sometimes one just have to stand back and ask what's really happening. The community of ideas of 7 billion people can only be adjusted over time even with modern communications, 24/7 media, social media and the Internet.
Agreed. It's hard for those entrenched in the system doing the harm to actually understand why what they're doing is harmful... because it isn't happening to them

It's 'Mob Mentality' on full display. It's very difficult for the more moderate members of a 'mob' to voice opposition to the actions of that 'mob' because they've seen what that 'mob' is capable of... and they fear it... so they remain quiet for fear of upsetting the apple-cart no matter how wrong they think the 'mob' is.

Hatch, NM

#19275 Dec 11, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I'm past trying to reason with religionists on here. I had to laugh when one 'explained to me' that religion isn't based on reason. He called me stupid for 'not knowing that'- as if I didn't know! Talk about slow, lol!
and WHAT is really happening? escape from poverty without brainwashing is a good beginning.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19276 Dec 11, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
Robert Heinlein NEVER HERD OF HIM.He's not in my universe. Plagiarism charge, sorry, ain't got no money to pay for his materialistic, authoristic,fiendish property. His idea proclaimed to the world as being his? Let it be, my apologies for daring to have had the same thoughts. I am happy to have 'free' thinking power even being a woman. It's a laughing matter, as you say anyway, and again I plagiarize even your own words. Contagious, runs around.
Naturally: your ignorance is without limit.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19277 Dec 11, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
Bob of miniscule faith: you question a POWER greater than anything imaginable, Sad. Your universe must be finite even if you're alive. Let go of our pride, experience humility, the true power of GOD.
No. I question the power of your near-total idiocy.

Your ignorance of pretty much everything is without limit.

Sad.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19278 Dec 11, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>it almost sounds familiar... like a poster named "Deb" something from Mesa, i believe. She came off as not fully baked as well
None of them are complete. It's as if they each had a frontal lobotomy.

Sad.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19279 Dec 11, 2013
EdSed wrote:
What I find the most interesting?

Is that all modern forms of communication were basically invented by secularists; little that we use today, was from religious people.

To me, that is the definitive proof; if there *were* a magical deity somewhere? Would not *all* the modern successes and really brilliant ideas, be coming from the extremely devout?

And the "we don't do materialism" doesn't cut it-- looking around the place, and the trillions of $$ that religion rakes in?

They most definitely *do* materialism.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19280 Dec 11, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
<quoted text>and WHAT is really happening? escape from poverty without brainwashing is a good beginning.
On this, we both agree: no brainwashing (religion/faith) is good.

And nobody *ever* escaped poverty using **religion**.

Because religion teaches that to be poor, is somehow magic or something equally stupid.

Religion prefers it's membership to remain poor-- wealth is the *exclusive* property of the top leadership in your typical religion.

Only those who "speak directly to god" get to enjoy wealth-- from the labors of the multitude of poor who send in their pittances.

And, of course, with enough pittances? You get... wealth.

Concentrated in the leaders, naturally.

.... and you?

YOU ARE HELPING.

Sad.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LCNLin

United States

#19281 Dec 11, 2013
EdSed wrote:
"They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.

Communist Atheist governments murdered tens of million in the USSR, Cambodia, North Korea, China etc.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LCNLin

United States

#19282 Dec 11, 2013
<quoted text>
On this, we both agree: no brainwashing (religion/faith) is good.
And nobody *ever* escaped poverty using **religion**.
Because religion teaches that to be poor, is somehow magic or something equally stupid.
Religion prefers it's membership to remain poor-- wealth is the *exclusive* property of the top leadership in your typical religion.
Only those who "speak directly to god" get to enjoy wealth-- from the labors of the multitude of poor who send in their pittances.
And, of course, with enough pittances? You get... wealth.
Concentrated in the leaders, naturally.
.... and you?
YOU ARE HELPING.
Sad.
"And nobody *ever* escaped poverty using **religion**."

Usual collection of generalizations unsupported by documentation?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim

UK

#19283 Dec 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
"They see no wrong in it despite the child abuse, exorcisms and corruption in the RC Church; school segregation; religious courts; Zionisim; Islamism; Creationism; and the detriment to critical thinking that any superstition is, religious or otherwise.
Communist Atheist governments murdered tens of million in the USSR, Cambodia, North Korea, China etc.
Atheists are not communists and nobody killed in the name of atheism.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim

UK

#19284 Dec 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Usual collection of generalizations unsupported by documentation?
This is called religion.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19285 Dec 12, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not saying it of my own. It is God who tells us in His revelation to His last prophet, the same message He revealed to all past prophets.
The prophets say the same thing again and again....but the rejecters keep on changing their stance.
You are the one changing your story every time, not God or His Prophets and messengers.
"t is God who tells us in His revelation to His last prophet, the same message He revealed to all past prophets."

So God does not speak directly to you but you must rely on what some other person has said who claims God has spoken to.

You rely on hearsay to guide you.

Why has your God forsaken you in favor of the prophets of long ago?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 min Thinking 20,097
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 35,082
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Richardfs 14,940
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 6 hr emperorjohn 139
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 6 hr Reason Personified 156
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr superwilly 3,710
There are no such things as gods or fairies 16 hr Amused 102
More from around the web