Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19202 Dec 4, 2013
And anti Dawkins spams are an example of memetics.
EdSed wrote:
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19203 Dec 4, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
OH!That means Jewish hell is quite a lot better than the Christian & Muslim counterparts.
I want to apply for a place in Jewish heaven .What are the criteria?
Repentance, FS. Remorse, confession, restitution, and most importantly change. Where you go in the afterlife depends on the condition of your soul when you die. Most of us don't know when we will die so we should live every day like it's our last.
LCNLin

United States

#19204 Dec 4, 2013
Thinking wrote:
And anti Dawkins spams are an example of memetics.
<quoted text>
You've stopped posting as [email protected]?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19205 Dec 4, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>A little here and a little there. To understand God, you have to have a good understanding of the OT and most people don't, including Jews, They neglect the books from Job to Malachi and they are missing a lot of theology that isn't found in the Torah. The best way to ensure that scripture is fulfilled is ignorance.
"To understand God, you have to have a good understanding of the OT and most people don't, including Jews."

One small problem here... You make an assumption that the Bible accurately portrays God.

The way I look at the Bible is that it reflects the human condition from millenia ago that we still see today.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19206 Dec 4, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
He gives you the choice, to save yourself .... but if you ignore the warning, it is your own doings, you cannot find fault with Him, do you?
It is like those warning signs on the road "Stop, turn back, this road leads to a ditch"...one after another signs....but some motorists continue to follow the road, and do not turn back....if they fall into the ditch and die, whose fault is this?
The one who made the road? The one who put the warning signs? The motorists who turned back? Or those who continued to drive?
When all logics fail, what is left to argue?
Wait till you die and see for yourself.
Not a good analogy there.

For the blind obedient, they'd turn back immediately. Others will ignore the signs and see what's out there.

There may be a ditch and some will turn back.

Some may see that ditch and figure out a way to cross it.

But as for your last "scary" sentence... I will die. What happens after that, you nor I cannot say.

And you really should stop with that threat.

If there is a God as described by the holy books, it is not your place to judge.

If your version is true, you are making judgements about others that's reportedly for God alone.

In essence, you are trying to usurp God.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19207 Dec 4, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
My middle finger to you narcissistic God.
Yes that is the way you speak and this is your "natural talent".

Carry on like this and you will win the "Most foul mouthed person in the world" Title.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19208 Dec 4, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a good analogy there.
For the blind obedient, they'd turn back immediately. Others will ignore the signs and see what's out there.
There may be a ditch and some will turn back.
Some may see that ditch and figure out a way to cross it.
But as for your last "scary" sentence... I will die. What happens after that, you nor I cannot say.
And you really should stop with that threat.
If there is a God as described by the holy books, it is not your place to judge.
If your version is true, you are making judgements about others that's reportedly for God alone.
In essence, you are trying to usurp God.
I am not saying it of my own. It is God who tells us in His revelation to His last prophet, the same message He revealed to all past prophets.

The prophets say the same thing again and again....but the rejecters keep on changing their stance.

You are the one changing your story every time, not God or His Prophets and messengers.

Since: Mar 12

Danda, India

#19210 Dec 5, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that is the way you speak and this is your "natural talent".
Carry on like this and you will win the "Most foul mouthed person in the world" Title.
Well,I didn't intend to offend you.Sorry,if that counts as blasphemy.
But surely,your God is detestable and he doesn't deserve respect.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19211 Dec 5, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
"To understand God, you have to have a good understanding of the OT and most people don't, including Jews."
One small problem here... You make an assumption that the Bible accurately portrays God.
The way I look at the Bible is that it reflects the human condition from millenia ago that we still see today.
The bible is about the God of Israel, and that God does not change. Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed". We can only trust and assume that the OT accurately portrays God. It's the only record we have and it will be used to prove the coming redeemer is the God of the Jews. The nation of Israel was created for this reason, for God to become the King of the universe.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19212 Dec 7, 2013
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
There's no such thing as gods or fairies.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19213 Dec 7, 2013
mythology-there's no such thing as YOU, EdSed. I AM, that's who is I. I BELIEVE. Time has been going on and on and who's going to stop it? only God Knows is the only answer that has reason. Only God Knows. There is Theology, a Mystery much greater than we; there is Religion, a power no one has cut. There's only fairies who fight for 'equal rights'. There is but ONE GOD.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#19214 Dec 7, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Starts with straw-man fallacy a few times
then moves toward unsupported generalizations.
Humor "is the one of the biggest reason"s
why we follow your logical fallacies.
Have Nice Day :-)
You wouldn't recognize a straw-man even if it hit you on the head
LCNLin

United States

#19215 Dec 7, 2013
Happy Christmas to all

Christmas in the US celebrated in the White House by President Obama

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#19216 Dec 7, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Happy Christmas to all
Christmas in the US celebrated in the White House by President Obama
God jul

Jule is older than your religion and the christian church failed to change the name of it when they stole it
LCNLin

United States

#19217 Dec 7, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
God jul
Jule is older than your religion and the christian church failed to change the name of it when they stole it
The ultimate Swedish Christmas market guide

With the days darkening and December just around the corner, The Local offers up a guide to must-visit Christmas markets in Sweden's major cities – and elsewhere.

* Swedes often lack the gift of giving at Christmas (22 Nov 13)
* Sweden unveils hottest Christmas gift of 2013 (19 Nov 13)
* Frightful or fab fusion for Swedish Christmas?(15 Nov 13)

Normally, First Advent, the first Sunday in December, serves as the unofficial start to the Christmas holiday season in Sweden. Christmas decorations and sparkling lights magically appear in homes across the country, adding a much-needed dash of light to brighten up the depths of winter's darkness.

Another hallmark of the holiday season is the sudden proliferation of Christmas markets

(julmarkander)

in town squares and public gathering places across the country.

SEE ALSO: Christmas markets in Malmö

While Christmas markets generally appear on or around December 1st, some like to give holiday shoppers an early start and thus already have their wares ready for purchase.

SEE ALSO: Christmas markets in Stockholm

"(Christmas markets) are where lots of important parts of the Swedish culture come alive," Peter Holmberg from tourist promotion agency Visit Sweden tells The Local.

"At the Swedish Christmas market you will find a heartwarming coziness you won’t find anywhere else. They get you in that Christmas spirit we all search for every year."

Visitors can expect a wide assortment of goods ranging from wooden handicrafts to reindeer sausage.

Perhaps just as, if not more inviting, however, are the stands serving Swedish mulled wine (glögg) and gingerbread cookies (pepparkakor).

The pungent glögg, mixed with the scent of roasted almonds and other sweet treats, help make a visit to a Christmas market in Sweden worthwhile even if you're not looking for that perfect holiday gift.

"Christmas is so much about family – sharing food, gifts and other traditions at home. And the Christmas market is an important complement to that celebration at home, where Swedes can celebrate the holiday among friends and fellow residents in a public space," says Holmberg.

"A visit to a market is the prefect kick-start for the upcoming holiday."

SEE ALSO: Christmas markets in Gothenburg

In an effort to help readers navigate at least part of the Swedish julmarknad jungle, The Local has put together a list of some of the most popular Christmas markets in Sweden's three largest cities, as well as one bonus julmarknad up north.

While the list is far from comprehensive, as many small communities in suburbs and villages across the country also organize Christmas markets of various persuasions, it should provide urban dwellers (and visitors) some options for how to brighten up the dark and chilly weekends ahead.

Hatch, NM

#19218 Dec 7, 2013
what a bologna reason for thread statement provided by a wishy-washy non-believer. Christmas Season is beautiful, yes, filled with contradictions but also a child-like joy.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19219 Dec 8, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
The ultimate Swedish Christmas market guide
With the days darkening and December just around the corner, The Local offers up a guide to must-visit Christmas markets in Sweden's major cities – and elsewhere.
* Swedes often lack the gift of giving at Christmas (22 Nov 13)
* Sweden unveils hottest Christmas gift of 2013 (19 Nov 13)
* Frightful or fab fusion for Swedish Christmas?(15 Nov 13)
Normally, First Advent, the first Sunday in December, serves as the unofficial start to the Christmas holiday season in Sweden. Christmas decorations and sparkling lights magically appear in homes across the country, adding a much-needed dash of light to brighten up the depths of winter's darkness.
Another hallmark of the holiday season is the sudden proliferation of Christmas markets
(julmarkander)
in town squares and public gathering places across the country.
SEE ALSO: Christmas markets in Malmö
While Christmas markets generally appear on or around December 1st, some like to give holiday shoppers an early start and thus already have their wares ready for purchase.
SEE ALSO: Christmas markets in Stockholm
"(Christmas markets) are where lots of important parts of the Swedish culture come alive," Peter Holmberg from tourist promotion agency Visit Sweden tells The Local.
"At the Swedish Christmas market you will find a heartwarming coziness you won’t find anywhere else. They get you in that Christmas spirit we all search for every year."
Visitors can expect a wide assortment of goods ranging from wooden handicrafts to reindeer sausage.
Perhaps just as, if not more inviting, however, are the stands serving Swedish mulled wine (glögg) and gingerbread cookies (pepparkakor).
The pungent glögg, mixed with the scent of roasted almonds and other sweet treats, help make a visit to a Christmas market in Sweden worthwhile even if you're not looking for that perfect holiday gift.
"Christmas is so much about family – sharing food, gifts and other traditions at home. And the Christmas market is an important complement to that celebration at home, where Swedes can celebrate the holiday among friends and fellow residents in a public space," says Holmberg.
"A visit to a market is the prefect kick-start for the upcoming holiday."
SEE ALSO: Christmas markets in Gothenburg
In an effort to help readers navigate at least part of the Swedish julmarknad jungle, The Local has put together a list of some of the most popular Christmas markets in Sweden's three largest cities, as well as one bonus julmarknad up north.
While the list is far from comprehensive, as many small communities in suburbs and villages across the country also organize Christmas markets of various persuasions, it should provide urban dwellers (and visitors) some options for how to brighten up the dark and chilly weekends ahead.
Christmas here in UK is marked from the beginning of Advent by a hike in the financial costs of everything one needs.

Hatch, NM

#19220 Dec 8, 2013
Christmas, I learned first from Grandpa. His many tales about Saint Nick and placing our shoes where nightly on Christmas Eve he delivered lil' trinkets as we slept. Christmas morning, a delicious warm breakfast awaited and that began a wonderful day, full of friendship and love. So you think this tradition is 'old-fashioned'? Will disappear. No, never. Human hearts, human brains look for the good intentions born in a manger. This day ends the year, begins a new one, filled with hopes and an overall renewal. We are only human, no super powers in ourselves but you never know what's in store, we hold on to dreams, good dreams, and keep going. Merry Christmas to you for now and ALWAYS.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#19221 Dec 8, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
There's no such thing as gods or fairies.
How do you know? Science might not be able to prove God, but that doesn't mean his not there.

And just before you reply a predictable answer, fairies won't exist because they are just a joke if they created this earth.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#19222 Dec 8, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know? Science might not be able to prove God, but that doesn't mean his not there.
And just before you reply a predictable answer, fairies won't exist because they are just a joke if they created this earth.
Science doesn't reject the possibility of God.We are just asking for proof.We can't believe God unless there is a strong reason in favour of his existence

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 - 32,581
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 - 53
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Endofdays 79,855
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr The pope 258,485
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web