Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19181 Dec 2, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever you call him,his existence will always be questioned.
Just wait till your death, ALL your questions will be answered.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19182 Dec 3, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed Bob, and your lucidity about this really amazes me. Where the scriptures differentiate between God being male or female, it always indicates God is female. God is a husband (Energy) and a wife (Lord/Messiah) Isaiah 54:5-6, and they are one flesh. Genesis 2:24.
Going from Isaiah to Genesis and trying to force some sort of consistency?

I've come to the conclusion that if you want to be a Christian, you must first become a Jew. Not actually convert, but get an understanding of Judaism. Ya know, the Old Testament. Hebrew Bible.

From there, you can begin to understand what Jesus was actually talking about.

And along the way, you might also understand a bit about Islam.

And if the actions of Abraham isn't deeply disturbing... well, then have fun in your holy war. Try not to drag the rest of us in it.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19183 Dec 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe.

Too bad I won't be able to do a quick post on Topix from Heaven.

Now I know internet bandwith from Heaven to Earth is expensive, but how much would it really cost for me to post post mortem:

"MUQ. You were wrong. Atheists ok. Gotta go, keg just tapped. see ya soon."

Since: Mar 12

Bandra, India

#19184 Dec 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Seems like you'd been dead and resurrected..Who gave you the answers by the way?..LOL!

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#19185 Dec 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!! The classic:

"Believe what I tell you, but don't ask ME to prove it, for you will know for sure when you die!!!"

It still amazes me the people buy that line of "reasoning". I guess it helps immensely if you've been force fed that belief since birth and threatened with all sorts of vile punishments for not believing it to be true.

Instill the fear while they're young and don't know any better, then sell them the "cure" for the rest of their lives.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#19186 Dec 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
... He is Merciful, Knowledgeable, Wise....(there is a list of more than 99 names, i.e. attributes of God mentioned in Quran....all beautiful names).
Your "God" is not very merciful to the unbelievers. According to Bible/ Quran he wants to burn the vast majority of humanity in hellfire for eternity for lacking in belief.

That is more of a monster than a god.

"Knowledgeable" "Wise".. not in the Bible/Quran, unless you believe in a flat earth supported by pillars.

Most of humankind has moved on from the camp fire tales of goat herders from the Middle East.(shakes head)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#19187 Dec 3, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>..Instill the fear while they're young and don't know any better, then sell them the "cure" for the rest of their lives.
Exactly. Childhood indocrination is a very powerful technique. Only strong minds are able to de-programme themselves.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#19188 Dec 3, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Childhood indocrination is a very powerful technique. Only strong minds are able to de-programme themselves.
My dad, who is a believer (although I believe it's more tradition based than anything), always told me to question things I didn't understand. I did... and still do to this day. When I had questions about the religion I was being taught as a youth, I never took "god works in mysterious ways" as an acceptable answer. It used to piss of the teachers when I would ask them what that meant and all they could do was hem-and-haw while grasping for some explanation that simply was not there. It actually got to a point where they didn't call on me when I raised my hand and they didn't mind, and said nothing, when I decided not to show up from time to time.

Bandra, India

#19189 Dec 3, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>My dad, who is a believer (although I believe it's more tradition based than anything), always told me to question things I didn't understand. I did... and still do to this day. When I had questions about the religion I was being taught as a youth, I never took "god works in mysterious ways" as an acceptable answer. It used to piss of the teachers when I would ask them what that meant and all they could do was hem-and-haw while grasping for some explanation that simply was not there. It actually got to a point where they didn't call on me when I raised my hand and they didn't mind, and said nothing, when I decided not to show up from time to time.
They believe in God because they want him to exist.They can't accept the bitter fact that death is the end of everything.They want afterlife.
Fear of eternal oblivion is the one of the biggest reason why theists believe in God
LCNLin

United States

#19190 Dec 3, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
They believe in God because they want him to exist.They can't accept the bitter fact that death is the end of everything.They want afterlife.
Fear of eternal oblivion is the one of the biggest reason why theists believe in God
Starts with straw-man fallacy a few times
then moves toward unsupported generalizations.

Humor "is the one of the biggest reason"s
why we follow your logical fallacies.

Have Nice Day :-)
fadu singh

Bandra, India

#19191 Dec 3, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Starts with straw-man fallacy a few times
then moves toward unsupported generalizations.
Humor "is the one of the biggest reason"s
why we follow your logical fallacies.
Have Nice Day :-)
When did I move to unsupported generalizations?
By the way,"Have "a" nice day"!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19193 Dec 3, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Going from Isaiah to Genesis and trying to force some sort of consistency?
I've come to the conclusion that if you want to be a Christian, you must first become a Jew. Not actually convert, but get an understanding of Judaism. Ya know, the Old Testament. Hebrew Bible.
From there, you can begin to understand what Jesus was actually talking about.
And along the way, you might also understand a bit about Islam.
And if the actions of Abraham isn't deeply disturbing... well, then have fun in your holy war. Try not to drag the rest of us in it.
A little here and a little there. To understand God, you have to have a good understanding of the OT and most people don't, including Jews, They neglect the books from Job to Malachi and they are missing a lot of theology that isn't found in the Torah. The best way to ensure that scripture is fulfilled is ignorance.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19194 Dec 3, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Christian theists believe in their god because of fear of the afterlife. They believe in a fiery pit called hell which they also believe is forever for anybody who does not believe in their god. They don't understand that hell is only for the wicked and the punishment will fit the crimes. Hell is not forever and it's not physical torture, but it is mental terror. All sin is conceived of in the mind before being acted upon.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19195 Dec 3, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "God" is not very merciful to the unbelievers. According to Bible/ Quran he wants to burn the vast majority of humanity in hellfire for eternity for lacking in belief.
That is more of a monster than a god.
"Knowledgeable" "Wise".. not in the Bible/Quran, unless you believe in a flat earth supported by pillars.
Most of humankind has moved on from the camp fire tales of goat herders from the Middle East.(shakes head)
He gives you the choice, to save yourself .... but if you ignore the warning, it is your own doings, you cannot find fault with Him, do you?

It is like those warning signs on the road "Stop, turn back, this road leads to a ditch"...one after another signs....but some motorists continue to follow the road, and do not turn back....if they fall into the ditch and die, whose fault is this?

The one who made the road? The one who put the warning signs? The motorists who turned back? Or those who continued to drive?

When all logics fail, what is left to argue?

Wait till you die and see for yourself.

Danda, India

#19196 Dec 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
He gives you the choice, to save yourself .... but if you ignore the warning, it is your own doings, you cannot find fault with Him, do you?
It is like those warning signs on the road "Stop, turn back, this road leads to a ditch"...one after another signs....but some motorists continue to follow the road, and do not turn back....if they fall into the ditch and die, whose fault is this?
The one who made the road? The one who put the warning signs? The motorists who turned back? Or those who continued to drive?
When all logics fail, what is left to argue?
Wait till you die and see for yourself.
My middle finger to you narcissistic God.

Danda, India

#19197 Dec 3, 2013
Correction:"to your narcissistic God"
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19198 Dec 4, 2013
Since muq made his god in his own image, both work.
fadu singh wrote:
Correction:"to your narcissistic God"

Mumbai, India

#19199 Dec 4, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I think Christian theists believe in their god because of fear of the afterlife. They believe in a fiery pit called hell which they also believe is forever for anybody who does not believe in their god. They don't understand that hell is only for the wicked and the punishment will fit the crimes. Hell is not forever and it's not physical torture, but it is mental terror. All sin is conceived of in the mind before being acted upon.
OH!That means Jewish hell is quite a lot better than the Christian & Muslim counterparts.
I want to apply for a place in Jewish heaven .What are the criteria?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19200 Dec 4, 2013
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
LCNLin

United States

#19201 Dec 4, 2013
Atheism = Materialism

pixie = Meme Theory

Starting from a proposition put forward in the writings of Richard Dawkins, it has since turned into a new area of study, one that looks at the self-replicating units of culture. It has been proposed that just as memes are analogous to genes, memetics is analogous to genetics.

Critics contend that some proponents' assertions are "untested,
unsupported
or incorrect."

Luis Benitez-Bribiesca, a critic of memetics, calls it "a pseudoscientific dogma" and "a dangerous idea that poses a threat to the serious study of consciousness and cultural evolution" among other things.

As factual criticism, he refers to the lack of a code script for memes, as the DNA is for genes, and to the fact that the meme mutation mechanism (i.e., an idea going from one brain to another) is too unstable (low replication accuracy and high mutation rate), which would render the evolutionary process chaotic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 5 min Simon 2,770
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 37 min Science 61,764
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 4 hr Eagle 12 99
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 15 hr Eagle 12 5,972
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Tue Regolith Based Li... 28,326
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
More from around the web