Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19110 Nov 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And Most of them by Bible mean "Only four Gospels and letters of Paul"!!
Nice try.

Many Christians like to pick and choose from the Old Testament also.

But that doesn't excuse Muslims, either.

They are trying to ride the Hebrew foundations just like the Christians.

The Bible is not a "Life for Dummies" ( http://www.dummies.com/ ) book but that's how it has turned out.

And the Qu'ran isn't either.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19111 Nov 21, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try.
Many Christians like to pick and choose from the Old Testament also.
But that doesn't excuse Muslims, either.
They are trying to ride the Hebrew foundations just like the Christians.
The Bible is not a "Life for Dummies" ( http://www.dummies.com/ ) book but that's how it has turned out.
And the Qu'ran isn't either.
I cannot comment about Bible, but it seems that it is now left only for dummies.

Quran is different, it is for people with intelligence, for people who are unbiased, people who do not reject any message just because "why it is written in Arabic".

Such people are not dummy and they have always been attracted to Islam and Quran, whenever they come in contact with it.

That is how Islam is getting sincere converts in all ages from every nation, from every society.

So much different from "Biblical converts"

Nehwon

#19112 Nov 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot comment about Bible, but it seems that it is now left only for dummies.
Quran is different, it is for people with intelligence, for people who are unbiased, people who do not reject any message just because "why it is written in Arabic".
Such people are not dummy and they have always been attracted to Islam and Quran, whenever they come in contact with it.
That is how Islam is getting sincere converts in all ages from every nation, from every society.
So much different from "Biblical converts"
"Quran is different, it is for people with intelligence, for people who are unbiased..."

That might work for people with unreliable electricity.

Not so much with people with a reliable Internet connection.

So how are you different than the Christians again?

You are using the same tactics to recruit as the Christians try to do.

Aside from the one example of Richard Flew, how many atheists turn to religion?

Now compare that to the number of religion followers who have -actually read the holy books and thought- and then chose the "other" box on religious affiliation.
Oh really

Leven, UK

#19113 Nov 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And Most of them by Bible mean "Only four Gospels and letters of Paul"!!
Thats why its called the new testament!
Having moved on from the old which was full of wars, murder,homophobia and outdated religion that did nothing but make things worse, But hey! That's religion for you! And you should know.

Did you know jesus rejected religion also and that's why the Jews murdered him?
The old testament is in stark contrast to the new, but religious zealots shine thru as homicidal maniacs as per usual in both, But you know that also because you live in Saudi.

Sleep well.

Nehwon

#19114 Nov 22, 2013
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
Having moved on from the old which was full of wars, murder,homophobia and outdated religion that did nothing but make things worse, But hey! That's religion for you! And you should know.
The old testament is in stark contrast to the new, but religious zealots shine thru as homicidal maniacs as per usual in both, But you know that also because you live in Saudi.
Sleep well.
Jesus rejected religion?

Jesus is an example of what happens when a reformer tries to change a religion away from a bunch of outdated rules to protect the priestly caste's gravy train.
Oh really

Leven, UK

#19115 Nov 22, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus rejected religion?
Jesus is an example of what happens when a reformer tries to change a religion away from a bunch of outdated rules to protect the priestly caste's gravy train.
I concur.
I see the historical Jesus as a humanitarian.

Nehwon

#19117 Nov 22, 2013
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
I concur.
I see the historical Jesus as a humanitarian.
Ahh, I see. buzzword clue there.

Carry on then.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#19118 Nov 22, 2013
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
Sleep well.
Only God can change the contract/covenant and it will be changed but until then, we are supposed to follow the law. The Jews did not kill Jesus, he had himself killed and he planned it. If the Jews had their way, they would've stoned him to death. Jesus was a suicidal, delusional, masochistic, megalomaniac. Jesus got exactly what he wanted because he thought it would fulfill scripture. It fulfilled nothing. He has been reincarnated and this time will burst into flames.
Oh really

Leven, UK

#19119 Nov 22, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, I see. buzzword clue there.
Carry on then.
I'ts hardly hidden greymouser.

I appreciate life and have retained a childish wonderment of it. I appreciate knowledge and consciousness
Nothing so eloquently projects the enlightenment of the human as a race et al, As the descriptions in the bible as a whole.

Knowledge through various philosophers has enabled us to great discovery's for mankind, its a positive.

Jesus was one of these, nothing more ,nothing less.

You could read Flavious Josephus (born Joseph ben Mattathias in 37 C.E) and gauge a few things from there if you wanted something interesting to learn.

There is some social /political commentary on this site, If you don't want to read Flavious.

http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/jesus.html

Anyhow, Hope you enjoy some of it.
Oh really

Leven, UK

#19120 Nov 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Only God can change the contract/covenant and it will be changed but until then, we are supposed to follow the law. The Jews did not kill Jesus, he had himself killed and he planned it. If the Jews had their way, they would've stoned him to death. Jesus was a suicidal, delusional, masochistic, megalomaniac. Jesus got exactly what he wanted because he thought it would fulfill scripture. It fulfilled nothing. He has been reincarnated and this time will burst into flames.
Er! Right then.:)
Siro

Ryde, Australia

#19124 Nov 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no historical jesus - no proof of god - its a fairytale that you lie about in order to get more followers for your cult of stupidity and ignorance.
You can't sell us your religious lies anymore.
A cult of stupidity and ignorance?
Thats topix atheism and you are its messiah here to lead its remotely sane God haters into the dawkinesque paradise of the eternally state of being comatose and proud
Oh really

Leven, UK

#19125 Nov 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple minded religious liar with nothing to offer atheists except more cult lies.
Not trying to offer you anything, i like history.
You can go jump someone else now angry man/woman.
Oh really

Leven, UK

#19126 Nov 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no historical jesus - no proof of god - its a fairytale that you lie about in order to get more followers for your cult of stupidity and ignorance.
You can't sell us your religious lies anymore.
I'm not religious, so that's quite a bad guess.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19129 Nov 23, 2013
OhReally claims not to be religious but seems part of what I call the 'of course I'm not religious myself, but..' Brigade. These are apologists for religion and superstition while simultaneously denying being any part of it.
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
Not trying to offer you anything, i like history.
You can go jump someone else now angry man/woman.
As a matter of historical fact, nobody knows much about who Jesus was and nothing for sure of what he said. The Character protrayed in various Christian teachings has evolved in the minds of those who wrote the Bible and regard it as a holy book.

Religion = superstition

I don't care for Skeptic's manner much either, but his comment that there is no evidence of an interventionist god, much less an Abrahamic one or any of these...
godchecker.com
are basically sound. I think he's also probably correct about the motivation of those who believe in god(s) to avoid the subject. Honest religionists accept that religious beliefs aren't based on reason, nor supported in any way by science.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19130 Nov 23, 2013
Really wrote:
01. Thats why its called the new testament!

02. Having moved on from the old which was full of wars, murder, homophobia and outdated religion that did nothing but make things worse, But hey! That's religion for you! And you should know.

03. Did you know jesus rejected religion also and that's why the Jews murdered him?

04. The old testament is in stark contrast to the new, but religious zealots shine thru as homicidal maniacs as per usual in both, But you know that also because you live in Saudi.

Sleep well.
Ans.

01. New testament is what Jesus taught, not what Paul wrote. Paul was not a disciple of Jesus, he did not meet him while Jesus was alive and did not learn anything from Chosen Disciples of Jesus, when Jesus was gone.

How come his letters became part of New Testament.

02. And if you say that Old Testament was full of wars and murders and violence, and New testament was all about peace and quite and “turning other Cheek”, from where Christians learned all these homicidal tendencies that made them “ultimate killing machines”?

03. Jesus did not reject religion as such, he invited Jews to what message he had brought and that is why Jews tried to kill him.

04. So the murder and killing has really nothing to do with the scripture, not OT not NT and neither Quran.

It is humans who want to do all these things and they misuse these religious books as a shield to justify what they want to do.

Living in Saudi, I can really appreciate it.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19131 Nov 23, 2013
GM wrote:
"Quran is different, it is for people with intelligence, for people who are unbiased..."

That might work for people with unreliable electricity.

Not so much with people with a reliable Internet connection.

So how are you different than the Christians again?

You are using the same tactics to recruit as the Christians try to do.

Aside from the one example of Richard Flew, how many atheists turn to religion?

Now compare that to the number of religion followers who have -actually read the holy books and thought- and then chose the "other" box on religious affiliation.
Ans.

We are different from Christianity because Popular Christianity is based on teachings of Paul, who was neither a prophet, nor a disciple of any prophet, nor learned anything from chosen Disciples of Jesus.

He was a “self claimed apostle of Jesus”

Islam on the other hand is based on teachings of Last and Final Prophet of God.

That is the major difference between the two religions.

How many atheists have accepted Islam, I have no actual figures, but you can search thru internet.

It is not the fault of religion that people are more interested in “junk” literature and not the “Pure words of God revealed thru His Messengers”.

It is people’s fault and they have to give their account before their Creator on the last day.

What answers you will give on that day?

Nehwon

#19132 Nov 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
We are different from Christianity because Popular Christianity is based on teachings of Paul, who was neither a prophet, nor a disciple of any prophet, nor learned anything from chosen Disciples of Jesus.
He was a “self claimed apostle of Jesus”
Islam on the other hand is based on teachings of Last and Final Prophet of God.
That is the major difference between the two religions.
How many atheists have accepted Islam, I have no actual figures, but you can search thru internet.
It is not the fault of religion that people are more interested in “junk” literature and not the “Pure words of God revealed thru His Messengers”.
It is people’s fault and they have to give their account before their Creator on the last day.
What answers you will give on that day?
"What answers you will give on that day?"

I did my best to live by the spirit of the Golden Rule.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19133 Nov 23, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
"What answers you will give on that day?"
I did my best to live by the spirit of the Golden Rule.
What is this "spirit of Golden Rule"?

Some new device invented recently?

Nehwon

#19134 Nov 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The Golden Rule until the lawyers got involved.

Then the Silver and Platinum Rules had to be created to fill the loopholes of the Golden Rule.

And it's funny that you ask if the "spirit" is invented recently. The spirit of the Golden Rule crops up in a lot of religions much older than Islam.

The whole "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" thing.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19136 Nov 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Typically...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

Religion = superstition

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 31 min Dogen 61,390
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 28,322
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 14 hr Dogen 2,687
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Fri IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web