Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#19088 Nov 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, now prove your god.

Just nonsense no more.
henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#19089 Nov 16, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuclear weapons a threat to mankind in 2013 AD.
Humankind is on its end.
henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#19090 Nov 16, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Well said!!
Well, in the nuclear Age the time of mankind is over.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#19091 Nov 16, 2013
Wrong.

More people are killed making the immense amount of steel required for German wind turbines than by nuclear power.
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, in the nuclear Age the time of mankind is over.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19092 Nov 16, 2013
IT wrote:
There's a reason the moon is spherical in shape, it's called gravity.

If the moon was split in two the two halves would collapse into two spheres under their own weight.

Under the laws of physics it would be impossible for the moon to split and rejoin as described in the hadiths. It would instead require a miracle, a miracle being something impossible within the laws of physics.

If the moon had been split in two, half the world would have seen it yet no one recorded it.
Ans.

You are speaking like a "Novice".

How do you know that the two parts of moon went so far to become independent of each other?

It was an act of Creator, how to split moon or how to reunite the portions.

Since it is a on off phenomenon, a True scientist would keep his mouth shut.

This is the "Best scientific course" of all such miracles mentioned in the book of scriptures.

These were "One off" phenomenon, that is why people considered them as Miracles.

"PS:

As for if the moon would have split into two, whole world would have recorded it, how many people keep their eyes on moon every moment of the night?

When there is night in Saudi Arabia, in many parts of the world is day.

And it was only for a moment, any one watching moon at that time, would have thought that his eyes were deceiving him.

The people at Makkah saw it, because prophet pointed to it and some people in near by deserts also saw it.

There is some recording that some king in Kerala saw it and it is recorded there.

MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19093 Nov 16, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pretty sure you are being sarcastic.Anyway man,keep posting on this thread because you're the reason that kept this thread active for months!:)
I usually discuss with people who want to get knowledge, not those who just come "to kill their times and of others".

Once I sense that they are only for idle and circular discussions, I leave them alone.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#19094 Nov 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually discuss with people who want to get knowledge, not those who just come "to kill their times and of others".
Once I sense that they are only for idle and circular discussions, I leave them alone.
This is not something new I'm hearing from you.You have always blamed people who have asked for the evidences to support your extraordinary claims. MUQ,please understand not everybody is as gullible as you.
Now do look at the post that you've posted as a reply to IT and see where you have given evidences to refute his argument?
You have rather chosen to call him a "novice" which is nothing but a personal attack as you think everyone who disagrees with Islam is stupid.Who knows if "Igor trip" is a novice or expert in science?
That bloke has raised a wonderful point that any person with good amount of gray matter will agree with.You haven't given a single reason as to why the splitting of moon is/was scientifically possible.
What I've learnt so far is you believe in God,prophecies and miracles because you have been indoctrinated right from your childhood as it seems obvious that you do come from a pious Muslim family.
But unlike you,we give more importance to reason as reason is something that filters truth from falsehood.
People like you use the so called "science in Quran" to boast about your religion and ridicule the same Science when the odds are heavily stacked against you.
This is not the only thread where you are being bashed and I see wherever you post you are surrounded by people like me who scoff your inane posts.
Anyway,I do not regret that you are finally giving up and putting a halt to our discussion because I know it wasn't me that is ending this discussion indecisive.
All I was asking for evidences,good logical argument which you failed to do,so you're giving up now!

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#19095 Nov 17, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
You are speaking like a "Novice".
How do you know that the two parts of moon went so far to become independent of each other?
It was an act of Creator, how to split moon or how to reunite the portions.
Since it is a on off phenomenon, a True scientist would keep his mouth shut.
This is the "Best scientific course" of all such miracles mentioned in the book of scriptures.
These were "One off" phenomenon, that is why people considered them as Miracles.
"PS:
As for if the moon would have split into two, whole world would have recorded it, how many people keep their eyes on moon every moment of the night?
When there is night in Saudi Arabia, in many parts of the world is day.
And it was only for a moment, any one watching moon at that time, would have thought that his eyes were deceiving him.
The people at Makkah saw it, because prophet pointed to it and some people in near by deserts also saw it.
There is some recording that some king in Kerala saw it and it is recorded there.
The Quran give the Moon splitting miracle just half a sentence, the hadiths just two or three sentences and the best of them just say it was half hidden behind a mountain.

In other words there's no reason to believe it ever happened.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19096 Nov 17, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
The Quran give the Moon splitting miracle just half a sentence, the hadiths just two or three sentences and the best of them just say it was half hidden behind a mountain.
Quran is telling what happened and that is all.

Why should it waste its time in "proving" that it really happened. It happened in front of people who gave "eye witness" account.

What else evidence is needed?

If you want to "duplicate" that split yourself, then you try to do it.

For us it was an act of God and that is all that is needed.

But for those who have curiosity, let them know that it is not a "Scientific impossibility".

You do not have even a basic idea how these Scriptual matters are discussed.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#19097 Nov 17, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
The splitting of moon is debated even among Muslims.There are some Muslims who disagree with this mainstream Muslim notion and they are in favour of idea that it must have been some kind of illusion!
Shah Waliullah,a medieval Islamic scholar was against this popular belief and he said that it may have been a hallucination or some cloud must have been blocking the view of moon as it appeared to be split.
Regardless of this contention,people like MUQ are so certain as if they themselves have witnessed the event.
He has no hesitation calling it as a reality and qualifies it as a possible event within the constraints of physics.Yet there is no explanation as to why does he thinks so.
Here is a one beautiful quote that struck my mind when I read MUQ's post.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#19098 Nov 17, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Quran is telling what happened and that is all.
Why should it waste its time in "proving" that it really happened. It happened in front of people who gave "eye witness" account.
What else evidence is needed?
You don't have any evidence, are lying and you know it MUQ.

Run scared from the question: "where is your proof of god?"
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19099 Nov 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Wrong.
More people are killed making the immense amount of steel required for German wind turbines than by nuclear power.
<quoted text>
If you believe that you'll believe absolutely anything. And wind power doesn't produce thousands of tons of waste that must be stored for millenia.

Nuclear energy is unsafe as demonstrated by regular disasters.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19100 Nov 17, 2013
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Humankind is on its end.
Dude.

Come to America.

Work your "End of the World" message in with dubious Biblical quotes and you can rake in the cash.

That way you can be utterly depressed about everything with (male or female or "other") hookers and blow around you and a mattress stuffed with tax free hundred dollar bills to sleep on.

Thinking

Royston, UK

#19101 Nov 18, 2013
The corollary of that is that I believe most oranges are blue - which I don't.

I know you're blinkered on the subject nuclear power, which is unfortunate for you. Once you cost things out per MW, you'll realise how filthy constructing wind power is.

Maybe one day we'll be able to grow GM turbines and then wind power won't be such an environmental disaster. Until then, keeping selling for Siemens AG.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>If you believe that you'll believe absolutely anything. And wind power doesn't produce thousands of tons of waste that must be stored for millenia.
Nuclear energy is unsafe as demonstrated by regular disasters.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19102 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
....I know you're blinkered on the subject nuclear power, which is unfortunate for you....<quoted text>
Right back at you.
Just keep believing EDF propaganda.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19103 Nov 18, 2013
Not guilty - I don't even know if the projected EDF pricing makes sense.

Truly, I do understand the sh!t that comes with fission, but energy stats are a minefield.

If you promote wind power you have to accept the deaths caused per MWH by the steel industry - which ironically includes air pollution.

If you promote hydro electric, you have to amortise in the 171,000 people killed in the Banqiao dam disaster. Repeat 171,000 deaths.

If you promote solar power you have to accept the deaths caused by falls in the construction industry.

Coal and gas are responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths due to air quality.

There's no easy answer today. We need to research fusion and algae that can synthesise oils, clever things like that. Giving loads of Euros to Germany to build windmills only serves the agenda of one country, not the world.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Right back at you.
Just keep believing EDF propaganda.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#19104 Nov 18, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand that people have been saying that we are in the "end times" for centuries now, right?
But they were all wrong and you're right?
LOLÂ…okay
Well honestly yea.

Math 24. Notes all the events of the last days and so does luke:21

The events include a world wide preaching of Gods kingdom.
The signs of the last days include great earthquakes one after another, famines food shortages, nations rising against nations etc

Also the most clear prophecy is the fall of all false religion. Ir will be completely devastated by tge U.N this is noted revelation book in chapters 16, 17, 18

The bible describes religion as a great harlot that has been drunk from the blood of the holy ones and all those slaughtered on the earth... the bible also describes as being and living in shame less luxury

Its very clear .

If you look closely at Islam Judaism and Christianity... none of them even worship the God the claim to serve.

The God of the bible is name Jehovah or Yahweh..
Allah translated in English means God ...

Its just something I think about from time to time.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19106 Nov 19, 2013
Three 'things' will eventually become visible to all, the Sun, Moon and truth.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#19107 Nov 19, 2013
spidersandsnakes wrote:
<quoted text>
Well honestly yea.
Math 24. Notes all the events of the last days and so does luke:21
The events include a world wide preaching of Gods kingdom.
The signs of the last days include great earthquakes one after another, famines food shortages, nations rising against nations etc
Also the most clear prophecy is the fall of all false religion. Ir will be completely devastated by tge U.N this is noted revelation book in chapters 16, 17, 18
The bible describes religion as a great harlot that has been drunk from the blood of the holy ones and all those slaughtered on the earth... the bible also describes as being and living in shame less luxury
Its very clear .
If you look closely at Islam Judaism and Christianity... none of them even worship the God the claim to serve.
The God of the bible is name Jehovah or Yahweh..
Allah translated in English means God ...
Its just something I think about from time to time.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-pas...

You don't even have the first clue about the Bible.

If you really want to think about something that is so, so important to your everlasting soul, then spend less than 24 hours of your time for an introduction here:

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-14...

It's just utterly silly when the majority of Christians spout off they "know" the Bible when they haven't even read the damn thing at all.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19108 Nov 20, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-pas...
You don't even have the first clue about the Bible.
If you really want to think about something that is so, so important to your everlasting soul, then spend less than 24 hours of your time for an introduction here:
http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-14...
It's just utterly silly when the majority of Christians spout off they "know" the Bible when they haven't even read the damn thing at all.
And Most of them by Bible mean "Only four Gospels and letters of Paul"!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 2 hr dollarsbill 4,962
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Subduction Zone 85,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Jan 17 ChristineM 4,026
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jan 16 Into The Night 5,146
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jan 15 Dogen 33,127
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Jan 15 superwilly 111
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Jan 14 emperorjohn 1
More from around the web