Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spider

Cambridge, UK

#18963 Nov 5, 2013
spudgun wrote:
Plus, the thought of christians/ muslims on their knees going baaa is funny too :)
Monty pythons.

THE LIFE OF BRIAN.

The crowd scene under Brian's bedroom window.

Just about sums things up.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18965 Nov 5, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
No I haven't considered all the gods that ever were, it's impossible to go back to the dawn of time and study all the idols or gods men have worshiped.
I have however looked at all the mainstream faiths, and many from the past. The view I take is that religionists believe in one inteligent ultimate power or being of some sort or other.
I opt for the scientific approach.
How did you arrive at your decision ? did you not consider?
For me, it was a gradual loss of faith-- as I saw more and more that praying was talking to myself, and that the **same** stuff happens to people of faith and people not-of-faith, regardless.

I begin to realize that if there were a god behind any of the faiths? Then-- it would be patently obvious to an outside observer, that this god-guided group had superior ...**something**--behavior, luck, health, wealth, longevity, knowledge--**something** would set them apart from all the not-guided-by-a-frikkin'-god groups.

And I could see no difference at all between the various groups-- including those groups who had no gods of any kind.

And it hit me: life was the same, whether you believed in gods or not!

And there is **so** much **baggage** that goes along with god-belief-- and little or none of it is good stuff.

That was pretty much the end of my faith right there-- that there is no discernible difference in people's lives with gods or without.

But without? There is 98% less guilt.

:D

I had always been somewhat of a science geek anyhow-- so there was always this conflict between science and gods-- and the scientific approach produces **results**.

The goddite approach? Produces... what? Sheeple? If only! It seems to produce most often: violent hate-groups who think it's their duty to kill or convert everyone else...!

Not good.

Not good at **all**.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18966 Nov 5, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were a god, I would consider it beneficial to appear or speak to a mass of people, including women. Not just one man.
I agree: this is the barest, lowest-minimum of standard behavior.

There is nothing--repeat nothing good about baseless faith.

That is-- faith based on nothing (i.e.**all** religious faith).

And feelings do not an argument make.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#18967 Nov 5, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were a god, I would consider it beneficial to appear or speak to a mass of people, including women. Not just one man.
That is why "You are incapable of being a god"!!

Speaking to male prophets include speaking to females also.

If you were a god, you will speak to every one and there would be billions of prophets and prophetesses and there would a complete mess out there!!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#18968 Nov 5, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were a god, you will speak to every one and there would be billions of prophets and prophetesses and there would a complete mess out there!!
God will pour out his spirit and we will all become prophets, having visions and dreams. Joel 2:28. Israel will become a "kingdom of priests and a holy nation". Exodus 19:6. That is the way God has always intended it to be. Gods work will go before him and when he enters Jerusalem on a donkey, he will be accepted and made King of Israel. This cannot happen until the Temple is rebuilt.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#18969 Nov 5, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
When you can prove your god, all your stupid childish stories will matter.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18971 Nov 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
For me, it was a gradual loss of faith-- as I saw more and more that praying was talking to myself, and that the **same** stuff happens to people of faith and people not-of-faith, regardless.
I begin to realize that if there were a god behind any of the faiths? Then-- it would be patently obvious to an outside observer, that this god-guided group had superior ...**something**--behavior, luck, health, wealth, longevity, knowledge--**something** would set them apart from all the not-guided-by-a-frikkin'-god groups.
And I could see no difference at all between the various groups-- including those groups who had no gods of any kind.
And it hit me: life was the same, whether you believed in gods or not!
Hi Bob, true and good reasons. Interesting post.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18972 Nov 6, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
..1. How or why you became a christian ?
2. What led you to change your mind ?
I became a Christian because I had a personal experience on holiday where I thought I felt the presence of "God" and oneness with nature and the universe. I concluded that God is real and therefore Christianity must be true. I know how crazy that sounds, but thats believers for you isnt it :))

Then like most christians when you realise the horrors of the old testament you start ditching large parts of the belief system. The cherry picking belief system so common today.

The penny finally dropped when I realised that the evidence for the gospels was very shaky. They all contradict each other. I knew this all along, but had been lying to myself for a long time. I could finally see what a con it is.

Believers put in a lot of emotional investment and find it difficult to extract themselves from it.

"Waking up" and getting off your knees sounds easy enough, but some people self-indoctrinate to such an extent that they cannot un-do the brain-washing.

Another wake up moment was realising that if I had been born into another faith, I would likely be in that religion. People seem to follow the beliefs of their parents, whether political or religious. Not many seem to question what they believe.

However today with the internet and in a multicultural society, there are so many different opinions and points of view out there. More and more people today are questioning what they were taught, what we are fed by the mainstream media and by authority figures. The shepherd (authority figure) is losing his control over the sheep (us). This is true in religion, politics, economics, etc.

I now realise there is no actual need to believe in anything, unless we want to. To question everything and to believe in nothing, unless there is a good reason for doing so. This to me is real freedom we all possess but not everyone chooses it.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#18973 Nov 6, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if your God gave all of them the same message and got those who could to write it down.

Instead all we have is the word of one man who claims God spoke to him but who disagrees with everybody else.

It's irrational to believe the word of just one man.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#18974 Nov 6, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if your God gave all of them the same message and got those who could to write it down.
Instead all we have is the word of one man who claims God spoke to him but who disagrees with everybody else.
A fair point that people like MUQ will never understand

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18975 Nov 6, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Bob, true and good reasons. Interesting post.
Thank you.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#18976 Nov 6, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God will pour out his spirit and we will all become prophets, having visions and dreams. Joel 2:28. Israel will become a "kingdom of priests and a holy nation". Exodus 19:6. That is the way God has always intended it to be. Gods work will go before him and when he enters Jerusalem on a donkey, he will be accepted and made King of Israel. This cannot happen until the Temple is rebuilt.
If you think that the present Zionist, Materialistic and Atheist nation of Isreal is the "nation of holy people and priests"...then we have to have a new definition of these words.

One "so called god" did enter Jerusalem on a donkey 2000 years ago and he was "hanged on a cross"!!

Why do you think he will get a "different reception" this time?

How simplistic you are, a perfect sucker!!

That is how Jews have bamboozled and neutralized Christianity all over the world.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#18977 Nov 6, 2013
IT wrote:

Ans.

I told you many times that there is nothing like My God and Your God, there is only One God in this Universe.

Why you are so much against evidence of one man? When God spoke to Moses, how many "eye witness" were present?

When Holy Ghost visited Mary, how many "eye witness" were listening?

The test is what message he brought, and it is available to us in the form of Quran.

Quran confirms all previous revelations and does not negate it. It only corrects what humans corrupted from the original message.

If you believe in words of one Man Jesus, and one Man Moses, what prevents you from believing the words of one Man Mohammad, Peace and Mercy of Allah be on to all his prophets.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#18978 Nov 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
There would be no prophets and every one the world over would have the same message, and no one could have changed it to suit himself. There would be no men thighing any babies, anywhere then. The ones who might, would all be too afraid of a real god, to ever try it. Raped babies are proof that there are no gods.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#18979 Nov 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I told you many times that there is nothing like My God and Your God, there is only One God in this Universe.
Why you are so much against evidence of one man? When God spoke to Moses, how many "eye witness" were present?
The test is what message he brought, and it is available to us in the form of Quran.
Quran confirms all previous revelations and does not negate it. It only corrects what humans corrupted from the original message.
If you believe in words of one Man Jesus, and one Man Moses, what prevents you from believing the words of one Man Mohammad, Peace and Mercy of Allah be on to all his prophets.
But MUQ,we believe in none of them.Muhammad followed the footsteps of Moses and Jesus and tries to emulate them.We just feel that he had amalgamated their so called 'divine revelations' with his own principles.There is no big deal it.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18980 Nov 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You still talking to us imperialist infidels?!? Why are you bothering? Oh yes, you want to convert us to you peeeace of Islam. BTW some of us used to be Theists so we KNOW what a joke religion is :))

Reality check. The Quran *contradicts* previous revelations. All the so called revelations contradict each other.

What does this tell you? All of them are man made.

That would be obvious to any sane human being. However theists are moon-struck and to varying degrees insane.

Theists happily admit other theists are bat-shit crazy, without realising they are crazy themselves. Yes thats all of them, all the 5 major one, lots of minor ones, and 000s of sects.

The story goes like this..

You have a "Prophet" X who gives a "revelation" (delusion). You have to believe in him and only him, otherwise you will burn in hell. Obey his teachings and you will go to heaven to be rewarded with virgins or perhaps to sign eternal praises to Gawd.

All other religions and revelations are of course false. You are the chosen one.. lucky you!

Muq like other theists is clearly brainwashed in Islam. It is the sheep herd mentality. Unable to think for himself, he takes a belief system wholsale off the shelf and believes in it all uncritically.

Humankind has moved on. We no longer go around tending to flocks of sheep and herding goats. These primitive belief system are ripe for extinction. This is now an age of reason. Humankind is growing up. Only a delusional fool would believe in bronze age ravings by "prophets" talking to imaginary sky people.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#18981 Nov 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think that the present Zionist, Materialistic and Atheist nation of Isreal is the "nation of holy people and priests"...then we have to have a new definition of these words.
One "so called god" did enter Jerusalem on a donkey 2000 years ago and he was "hanged on a cross"!!
Why do you think he will get a "different reception" this time?
How simplistic you are, a perfect sucker!!
That is how Jews have bamboozled and neutralized Christianity all over the world.
Jesus was not the Messiah. He was not anointed or crowned as king of Israel. The Jews have a lot of work to do before they become a holy nation. But it will happen. All of Gods laws must be kept and the rejection of Jesus is just the beginning step in that process. Israel will be a theocracy and God will once again be the King of Israel and of the entire universe.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#18982 Nov 7, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus was not the Messiah. He was not anointed or crowned as king of Israel. The Jews have a lot of work to do before they become a holy nation. But it will happen. All of Gods laws must be kept and the rejection of Jesus is just the beginning step in that process. Israel will be a theocracy and God will once again be the King of Israel and of the entire universe.
…wow

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#18983 Nov 8, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
The mental illness of faith strikes again. With no proof as usual.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#18984 Nov 8, 2013
SB wrote:
Jesus was not the Messiah. He was not anointed or crowned as king of Israel. The Jews have a lot of work to do before they become a holy nation. But it will happen. All of Gods laws must be kept and the rejection of Jesus is just the beginning step in that process. Israel will be a theocracy and God will once again be the King of Israel and of the entire universe.
Ans.

Messiah does not necessarily mean that they have to be annointed to be kings. This is a very harmless term in OT meaning some one who is “charged” with some mission from God.

Since Jews denied the messiahship of Jesus, that is why Quran called him a Messiah and gave him that title.

So do you have a hope that the existing nation of Materialst, Atheist, Ashkenazi Jews of Isreal would “go back” to their old scriptures and start observing those laws of OT?

Boy you are very big Optomist!!

When would Christians go back to following the teachings of Jesus, by the way?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 1 hr yehoshooah adam 4,328
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr 15th Dalai Lama 77,084
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 4 hr brenda6 899
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr John 32,291
Atheists are subhuman filth that need to be exe... 17 hr Roec 1
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 hr superwilly 258,482
Religion sux ? Tue Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web