Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spider

Cambridge, UK

#18780 Oct 17, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish that the atheism forum was not attacked by trolls so often, so that atheists could have real, meaningful discussions about some of the deep topics that humanity throws up, instead of the low IQ replies to idiots sharing their mental illness and telling us we're going to hell.
Precisely,,,, religions reply to questions or doubhts from enquiring minds is to offer threats of eternal punishment,, in othern words, tow the line or else.
If I were a God I would be pleased with questions that arise within the human mind. Do we threaten or punish a child that has an enquiring mind,, No, we pass on knowledge, we encourage,, we do not say " Do as I say or else" then dissapear and expect that child to teach all others for eternity. Regardless of what faith an individual may follow, they never stop to think how irresponsible an act this would be. Therefore followers are irresponsible and use excuses such as " It was an act of god" "allah knows best" or " god moves in mysterious ways"

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18781 Oct 17, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>There will be plenty of proof. God is literally going to set the world on fire and she will plead with all flesh up until the end. The entire OT will be completely fulfilled and the absolute final proof will be the resurrection on the Mount of Olives. Zechariah 14:3-11. We who are alive will all be witnesses. Isaiah 43:10.
Blah blah blah... religious nut-bags (such as yourself) have been making that claim for thousands of years. You'll excuse me if I don't hold my breath because it's impossible to laugh at folks like you if I do

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#18782 Oct 17, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely,,,, religions reply to questions or doubhts from enquiring minds is to offer threats of eternal punishment,, in othern words, tow the line or else.
If I were a God I would be pleased with questions that arise within the human mind. Do we threaten or punish a child that has an enquiring mind,, No, we pass on knowledge, we encourage,, we do not say " Do as I say or else" then dissapear and expect that child to teach all others for eternity. Regardless of what faith an individual may follow, they never stop to think how irresponsible an act this would be. Therefore followers are irresponsible and use excuses such as " It was an act of god" "allah knows best" or " god moves in mysterious ways"
Yeah, its true, faith crushes the instinct of humans to question and be curious about their surrounding. It should be a human right to ask questions and be critical of the world. Religion teaches us that seeking knowledge is bad unless its prescribed by cults.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#18783 Oct 17, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, its true, faith crushes the instinct of humans to question and be curious about their surrounding. It should be a human right to ask questions and be critical of the world. Religion teaches us that seeking knowledge is bad unless its prescribed by cults.
Exactly.

I believe the right to ask questions is inherent to our existence,, if that is not the case then to have an enquiring mind is wasted and pointless.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#18785 Oct 17, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell that religion is dying off due to the increase in the misery index caused by your filthy cult of atheism.
Hopefully Christianity will come back in full swing before 2020 so that we can have hope for humanity once again.
I'm afraid though that atheism will initiate the next civil war and riot before that happens.
Atheism is such an awful mental disease.
Disagreed. Christianity, Buddhism and Islam are increasing massively every day and if no one has noticed, atheism is very slowly but surely dropping.

However, I do agree with the last sentence

Location hidden

#18786 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagreed. Christianity, Buddhism and Islam are increasing massively every day and if no one has noticed, atheism is very slowly but surely dropping.
However, I do agree with the last sentence
more ignorant and shameless lies - atheism is on the increase - that's why you religious trolls liars are trying so hard!!!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#18787 Oct 17, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>There will be plenty of proof. God is literally going to set the world on fire and she will plead with all flesh up until the end. The entire OT will be completely fulfilled and the absolute final proof will be the resurrection on the Mount of Olives. Zechariah 14:3-11. We who are alive will all be witnesses. Isaiah 43:10.
It appears you mimic the phoenix. The pity is YOU are not myth.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#18788 Oct 17, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Energy is also a Created thing and before Big Bang there was no energy either!!
You lack the latest ideas about big Bang!!
God is the ONLY uncreated being in this Universe and He created everything in this universe, including energy, matter, time and space.
Your concept is therefore very faulty about God.
And how could "energy" out of its own can transform into this huge universe? Has any "Big Explosion" done by humans created anything?
Where your power of reason, logic and analysis goes when you cannot answer these simple , very basic questions.
No energy is not created at the Big Bang. It already existed.

There is a big mystery about why the Big Bang happened and why this universe is the way it is but inserting a mythical entity into the mystery isn't going to solve anything. Asserting God just allows the simple minded the comfort of believing the problems solved, but all they've done is replace one mystery with an even bigger one, just why does God exist?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#18792 Oct 17, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagreed. Christianity, Buddhism and Islam are increasing massively every day and if no one has noticed, atheism is very slowly but surely dropping...
There is lots of evidence that religion is in decline in the developed world...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...
I think religion is being steadily undermined by education and science. The Internet and social media are allowing people to ask questions and discuss gods and religions and they don't stand scrutiny.

I don't know anyone, including my Christian friends, who seriously believe that a god sent a prophet to Earth. The USA in particular seems to be extraordinarily superstitious and it also suffers from widespread prejudice against atheists.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

Religion = superstition

There are no such things as gods or pixies. They are plainly the products of human imagination. Truth will out.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#18793 Oct 17, 2013

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#18795 Oct 17, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just that atheists can't stand the true answers. They substitute them with lies, and by default practice being liars.
The true answer is that "god is going to make you eat your children", right? That is what the buybull says. Yeah, we can't stand that kind of crap.
LCNLin

United States

#18796 Oct 18, 2013
Rather pathetic defensive mumbo jumbo
and You though atheists were logical
Example here ?
LOL
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The true answer is that "god is going to make you eat your children", right? That is what the buybull says. Yeah, we can't stand that kind of crap.
MUQ

Bhopal, India

#18797 Oct 19, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
No energy is not created at the Big Bang. It already existed.
There is a big mystery about why the Big Bang happened and why this universe is the way it is but inserting a mythical entity into the mystery isn't going to solve anything. Asserting God just allows the simple minded the comfort of believing the problems solved, but all they've done is replace one mystery with an even bigger one, just why does God exist?
Who told you energy existed before Big Bang?

Yes there is a BIG MYSTERY what is big band and how is happened. And what was its purpose?

That is why you have to turn to religion and find basic answers to all these questions.

Why live in total darkness, when answers to your questions are here.

And that includes the BASIC QUESTION about you also, what is purpose of your creation and what will happen to you when you die.

Have you any answers to these questions, or are content to just believe in "what you wish or assume"?

You think you people are very reasonable and logical, while in reality you are most illogical and unreasonable person that any one can see around them.

Location hidden

#18798 Oct 19, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not trying to convert you, you unemployed, societal ball-and-chain.
Is that really the best you can do? Maybe you'll be gone from this forum in a week, after you realise your cult can't win here.

But hey, you'll have existed for longer than your imaginary god that's for sure.

Location hidden

#18799 Oct 19, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just that atheists can't stand the true answers. They substitute them with lies, and by default practice being liars.
calling an answer "true" is not the same as providing hard evidence. This is part of the mental illness that creationist suffer from - the delusion that they have the truth, based on no evidence whatsoever - ie. lies.

Location hidden

#18800 Oct 19, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
That may seem true if we count your drawer full of sock puppets.
Its the paranoia of the mental illness you suffer from that makes you believe that I have sock puppets.

I assure you I have none - its just your weak and dishonest attempt as trying to rationalise the response you're getting from independent atheists, crushing your cult's hatred and judgeMENTALism.

Location hidden

#18801 Oct 19, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Example here ?
LOL
<quoted text>
Oh look, the tw*t is back for more embarrassment! Why do you want to make your cult look even more stupid here, after almost a month of shame?

Location hidden

#18802 Oct 19, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is a BIG MYSTERY what is big band and how is happened. And what was its purpose?
That is why you have to turn to religion and find basic answers to all these questions.
And that includes the BASIC QUESTION about you also, what is purpose of your creation and what will happen to you when you die.
Have you any answers to these questions, or are content to just believe in "what you wish or assume"?
You think you people are very reasonable and logical, while in reality you are most illogical and unreasonable person that any one can see around them.
The big question atheists have, is why religious liars feel the need to lie and deceit, instead of being honest and admitting there's no proof of god?

If believers started off with "just imagine" we would be fine with that. Thep problem is that you take your delusions too seriously and expect us normal folk to carry your mental illness for you and spread it.

This will never happen you idiots. Never.

Until you prove this cr*p you've been trying to sell us for eternity.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#18803 Oct 19, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not known if there was a 'before the Big Bang' but at the start of it there was all the energy of the universe. As to why it existed, that requires real hard research to explain not inane ramblings from self proclaimed prophets.
MUQ wrote:
Except that all the religions of the world disagree with each other thus proving they are the worst possible source of knowledge, nothing but the deranged rantings of the ignorant.
MUQ wrote:
You believe in a book that claims the sun sets in a muddy spring (18:86)
http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp...
MUQ wrote:
No theist has ever given me an explanation of our purpose of life that wasn't hilariously flawed.
Do you have one?

The purpose of life is life itself. Enjoy it whilst you can.
MUQ wrote:
I've read the Quran. It's nonsense so please don't preach to me about what's logical or illogical.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#18804 Oct 19, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Example here ?
LOL
<quoted text>
Fool, it is your buybull god who will make you "the believer" eat your children. Leviticus 26: 29 Read it and weep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Regolith Based Li... 78,489
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr Science 1,322
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr Science 32,431
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web