Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spider

Ely, UK

#18283 Aug 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Qualities of a True Prophet of God:
J. Ninth Quality: Prophets do not Contradict or Reject each other:
All prophets receive information from the same source, i.e. God, so their teachings do not contradict each other.
A True prophet of God would not reject or say bad words about prophets which preceded him, because they form a sort of brotherhood in front of their God.
Even when some parts of code of law of an earlier prophet is abrogated; it is done without any criticism of that prophet. Because both the original code and revised code come from the same God, the earlier law needed to be revised because of changed circumstances; there is no blame on earlier prophet.
J1: Rejection of Any Prophet of God is Serious Crime in the eyes of God:
Prophets are sent by God with express purpose to provide guidance, and they have Approval and Might of God at their back, any one willfully rejecting a True Prophet of God takes a very serious risk.
The risk becomes more serious when the Prophet whose mission is active and in-force is rejected by any one. This is like a direct act of treason in the eyes of God.
Because if some one rejects a Prophet of God, it means that he or she has rejected the One who sent that prophet.
J2: Rejection of One Prophet is as if one has rejected all Prophets:
All Prophets form a common brotherhood; rejection of one is treated as rejection of all.
Those who think that they are being “extra loyal” to their prophet by spending all their efforts and energies in rejecting another Prophet of God, might get a rude shock in the hereafter, when they see both prophets sitting side by side on thrones of honor, and BOTH looking at him with angry faces!!
So beware be these “Die Hard” supporters of their own Prophets; who do not give a damn how insulting and how abusive are they to other True Prophets of God. They are certainly not on the side of their own Prophets!!
J3: Safe course if in doubt about any Prophet of God:
If someone has not researched and satisfied himself or herself that so and so is a True Prophet of God or not, the safest course is to hold their tongue and do not start criticising them and start abusing them or making fun of them.
Their crime would be lessened if they hold their tongue and continue their research. They would indeed be in a very awkward situation, if they became enemies of any True Prophet of God, without completing their research, and die in the stage of enmity.
Reduced to threats as usual,,,, pathetic.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#18284 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Just because someone believes in the Gospel doesn't mean he has to reject science and hate the homosexuals
Yes it does. The bible is anti science and it is extremely homophobic. Most xtians don't believe in the bible, they believe in their own rendition of it.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#18285 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Because strong Christians know that happiness is rooted beyond this world and consists of more than earthly possessions and gratification. Bad things happen. It is ultimately we who decide if they cripple out livelihood. Christianity teaches us to be strong and have faith in unwavering love. Those people aren't genuine Christians, their actions are not representative of my faith.
How loving can your god be if he is willing to send people to hell for believing?
How loving can he be when he calls for the death of gay men in the Old Testament, and labels homosexuality as a sin in the new.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#18286 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Because strong Christians know that happiness is rooted beyond this world and consists of more than earthly possessions and gratification. Bad things happen. It is ultimately we who decide if they cripple out livelihood. Christianity teaches us to be strong and have faith in unwavering love. Those people aren't genuine Christians, their actions are not representative of my faith.
Bad things happen? A good god would not allow bad things to happen.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#18287 Aug 25, 2013
Where is our "original Spiderman"?

The one who started this discussion?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#18288 Aug 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
All you need to do instead of comment, is prove your god. That's all you need to do, nothing else at all.

nobody cares about your opinions until you've proven the god your cult told you to lie about here.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#18289 Aug 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
You avoid dodge and ignore questions, hardly a discussion is it.

Your explanations regarding the qualities of a true prophet are lacking in anything substancial as representative of a god. You offer nothing other than the thoughts of a man, and that just won't do for the majority of sensible people.
spudgun

Orpington, UK

#18290 Aug 25, 2013
Hi All

Taking a break from this forum. No longer into religious talk. Enjoyed the entertaining / interesting debate.

Cheers
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#18291 Aug 25, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it does. The bible is anti science and it is extremely homophobic. Most xtians don't believe in the bible, they believe in their own rendition of it.
Frankly, I don't take everything the bible has to say literally. Few people do. People claim the bible was written "through" God and by man; that's where I show skepticism.

I only consider the life of Jesus and everything that happened thereafter.
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#18292 Aug 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Erm.... the entire Republican Party?
<grin>
And most of the Democrats, too?
<bigger grin>
I think Jesus would have "turned over the tables" in our Congress, had he been a member.
In any case, Jesus clearly despised capitalism-- he didn't own anything, and strongly advised his followers to do the same.
I can't stand the GOP. I think on a philanthropic level, they are very anti-Christian, the irony being that they claim to be Christian.

I think he certainly would have; there is plenty of idolatry going on there.

And why would a man sent to exemplify the fulfilling nature of true love need to have riches?

Location hidden

#18293 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankly, I don't take everything the bible has to say literally. Few people do. People claim the bible was written "through" God and by man; that's where I show skepticism.
I only consider the life of Jesus and everything that happened thereafter.
All you need to do is remove the lie in the bible about all atheists (including the unborn and ones you've never met) being fools.

If you can remove this from your books, you will have shown true courage and honesty - but none of you are honest or loving or great. You all stand by this lie and you build buildings and you distribute literature and you spam forums with your lies.

You have lost the respect of the entire educated world.

Location hidden

#18294 Aug 25, 2013
Its because you're inherently stupid, arrogant self-centered imagineers gone wrong in the head. Desperate to suck strangers into your fraudulent mental vortex.
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#18295 Aug 25, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
All you need to do is remove the lie in the bible about all atheists (including the unborn and ones you've never met) being fools.
If you can remove this from your books, you will have shown true courage and honesty - but none of you are honest or loving or great. You all stand by this lie and you build buildings and you distribute literature and you spam forums with your lies.
You have lost the respect of the entire educated world.
I don't think you're a fool. I might not agree with you, but that doesn't mean I hold it against your worth as a person.

I don't think the bible is infalliable or neccesarily the work of God. I can't strike what someone wrote thousands of years ago, and if people ascribe to that belief, well that's on them.

I think that true Christians should spend their time reaching out to people who disagree with them. Not marginalize them.
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#18296 Aug 25, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad things happen? A good god would not allow bad things to happen.
It seems like you see an ambiguity in God’s supposed nature. A lot of people do too.

The grievance is,“Things that I consider unfortunate occur and that disqualifies God from being what I believe is good.”

I don’t accept that because I believe the following things:

1. A supreme being is not bound by the beliefs of its own creation.

It is a classic fallacy to require that someone else thinks the way you do, too.

2. Spiritual salvation through Christ is not defined in terms of worldly comfort.

Nothing about the loss of property, wealth, knowledge, power, autonomy, comfort, or love once found within another person would nullify the asserted reward of emulating Jesus, nor would it deprive an individual of the chance to gratify God by emulating Jesus.

3. Constant pleasure would not sustain a subservient, gratifying relationship between creator and creation.

Christians submit to the idea that God created humans with the intent to glorify himself.

They also believe that as a condition of being created in God’s image, we want the same self-glorification as he does.

The imperfection experienced by humans, argue Christians, functions to illuminate the folly of self-worship, keeping humans in check.

Herein lies the necessity of self-subordination demonstrated best through the encounters of Jesus, who Christians submit was sent so that we may know how to gratify God amidst of our own God-like wants.

Now whether or not you submit that God is your creator and Christ your savior is irrelevant.

Pursuant to Christianity, though, God’s nature and will would not be incompatible with the happenings of the world.

Location hidden

#18297 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you're a fool. I might not agree with you, but that doesn't mean I hold it against your worth as a person.
Yes you do, you have to believe what your bible tells you. And your bible tells you that Bill Gates is a fool.
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't strike what someone wrote thousands of years ago, and if people ascribe to that belief, well that's on them.
No its on you, because they're dead, but you're still hear spreading these lies around about atheists through your book.

If you were brave and loving and true, you would stand up for what is right and remove this nonsense.
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that true Christians should spend their time reaching out to people who disagree with them. Not marginalize them.
You need to stop apologising for your cult and assess how it really affects others more. Please look up the no true scotsman fallacy, which you have just committed:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsm...

Read this link, understand & accept the logical fallacy you commited just now and try again.

Location hidden

#18298 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems like you see an ambiguity in God’s supposed nature. A lot of people do too.
The grievance is,“Things that I consider unfortunate occur and that disqualifies God from being what I believe is good.”
I don’t accept that because I believe the following things:
It is a classic fallacy to require that someone else thinks the way you do, too.
2. Spiritual salvation through Christ is not defined in terms of worldly comfort.
Nothing about the loss of property, wealth, knowledge, power, autonomy, comfort, or love once found within another person would nullify the asserted reward of emulating Jesus, nor would it deprive an individual of the chance to gratify God by emulating Jesus.
3. Constant pleasure would not sustain a subservient, gratifying relationship between creator and creation.
Christians submit to the idea that God created humans with the intent to glorify himself.
They also believe that as a condition of being created in God’s image, we want the same self-glorification as he does.
The imperfection experienced by humans, argue Christians, functions to illuminate the folly of self-worship, keeping humans in check.
Herein lies the necessity of self-subordination demonstrated best through the encounters of Jesus, who Christians submit was sent so that we may know how to gratify God amidst of our own God-like wants.
Now whether or not you submit that God is your creator and Christ your savior is irrelevant.
Pursuant to Christianity, though, God’s nature and will would not be incompatible with the happenings of the world.
There's no such thing as god. Its because you don't have any proof.

You might *feel* like there's a god, but this is just chemicals in your body and nothing special at all.

Once you realise that you make up the reasons for feeling a certain way in your head, you will realise that you have been sold the ultimate scam - religion!!

Location hidden

#18299 Aug 25, 2013
Religious people are addicted to the emotional high of believing in something that isn't really there, but only imagined by others in cult situations (churches).

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18300 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
False. It's not "I consider unfortunate". It **is** about god preventable **disaster**.

That your horrid and uncaring deity would simply stand by and allow such things to occur?

Proves he doesn't care- and is therefore, a monster.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18301 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT.

Just because you CAN act uncaring?

Does not mean it is MORAL to do so.

Your god?

Immoral.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18302 Aug 25, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Indeed: your Jesus strongly commanded you to GIVE UP ALL WORLDLY THINGS-- NO SHELTER, NO FAMILY, NO JOB-- NONE OF THAT.

But I see you do not follow your Jesus' commands.

Hypocrite?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min Paul Scott 70,368
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Paul Scott 30,412
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 6 hr Paul Scott 3,818
News Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 10 hr greymouser 70,631
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 hr Eagle 12 258,476
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 22 hr John 14,736
How To Get To Heaven When You Die Fri Eagle 12 87
More from around the web